Author Topic: Keep a look out for.....  (Read 96739 times)

Vicki

Re: Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #160 on: May 17, 2011, 11:55:23 AM »
Yes, there are good and bad about both locals - only the earth made new will have the complete beauty we search for here. Although I long for the greenery at times, it comes with a price - more flying pests.

Sister Dee

« Reply #161 on: May 17, 2011, 12:15:51 PM »
Although I long for the greenery at times, it comes with a price - more flying pests.

Exactly!  Yesterday when contemplating the new earth, that is one of the things that came to mind.  We won't be "bugged" by them!   :)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #162 on: May 28, 2011, 11:07:50 AM »
Space Weather News for May 28, 2011
http://spaceweather.com

GEOMAGNETIC STORM: A solar wind stream hit Earth's magnetic field on May 27-28, sparking a moderate geomagnetic storm and auroras in both hemispheres.  At the time this alert is being composed (1500 UT on May 28), naked-eye Southern Lights are dancing in the skies over Tasmania and New Zealand.  If forecasts are correct, geomagnetic activity should remain at elevated levels for the next 24 to 48 hours. Visit http://spaceweather.com for updates and images of the ongoing storm.

SOLAR ACTIVITY INTENSIFIES:  The recently-quiet sun is waking up.  New sunspots are emerging across the solar disk, and at least one of them is crackling with C-class solar flares. Even stronger eruptions appear to be in the offing.  If you would like alerts notifying you of solar flares and magnetic storms the instant they happen, please consider signing up for Space Weather Phone: http://spaceweatherphone.com .

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #163 on: August 11, 2011, 06:40:11 AM »
"Perseids." According to the International Meteor Organization, worldwide observers now are counting more than a dozen Perseids per hour with more to come on August 12-13 when Earth passes near the heart of the debris stream.  Source
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Vicki

« Reply #164 on: August 11, 2011, 10:32:21 AM »
 :) Thanks, Jim. I've now got in on the calendar. The International Space Station will be passing over us the same time, too.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2011, 03:04:43 AM »
I'm up and "looking!" even though the moon is still bright :)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2011, 03:11:02 AM »
The ISS glided by right on time but no visible meteors - not yet.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2011, 04:41:09 AM »
Too cloudy here last night. :(
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Vicki

« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2011, 08:44:40 PM »
Cloudy here this morning, too. But there was one large clear patch where the moon could shine through. We didn't see any fireballs but we did get to briefly see the ISS. We enjoyed our early morning outing even if there were no fireballs.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #169 on: August 21, 2011, 08:28:10 AM »
It's a little bit difficult to understand at first. But here is a nice forecasting tool to know if your skies will actually be clear enough to star gaze.

http://cleardarksky.com/csk/

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #170 on: September 12, 2011, 05:02:33 PM »

Sister Dee

« Reply #171 on: October 14, 2011, 08:53:13 AM »
Last night my oldest son called and told us to get out our telescope because he'd heard that Jupiter was close enough that we should be able to see some of its moons.  Indeed we did!  Four of them!  A real treat!   :)

I had also caught part of a program early that very morning on 3ABN in which I learned that at least one of the planets (I wasn't paying enough attention to remember which one) rotates backwards.  In conversing with my son, I mentioned this.  He told me that this was retrograde motion and that the planet, he thought it might be Mercury, really didn't but just appeared to because it was so close to the earth.    ???   I had forgotten about him taking a college astronomy class.  I'm thinking he either got it wrong or they're feeding him nonsense.  A quick google showed that Venus rotates backward.  Not wishing to wade through information from non-creationist sources, (which would satisfy my son, but not me!) I decided to bring this here.  Any astronomers out there?   :)

Vicki

« Reply #172 on: October 15, 2011, 10:53:33 AM »
I am so disappointed we didn't know earlier. Son had his telescope out looking at the moon Friday morning and what I assume was Venus. He would have been so excited to see 4 moons of Jupiter. He studied astronomy last year. I retrieved the book to refresh my memory:

Mercury does rotate slowly. It takes 59 earth days for Mercury to rotate once. That means 29.5 earth days of sunlight before 29.5 earth days of darkness. It revolves around the sun much faster - 88 earth days, which means a year on Mercury = 88 earth days. We would grow older much more quickly on Mercury. Roughly, Mercury revolves 4 times faster than earth, so a 10 year old on earth would be 40 years old on Mercury, and I would be 200 years old. I would still have all my teeth so I am OK with that.  ;)

Venus does rotate even more slowly than Mercury. It takes 243 earth days for Venus to rotate once. That's about 121.5 earth days of sunlight and 121.5 earth days of darkness to make 1 day on Venus. And yes, it does rotate backwards. The book goes into how it does not fit with the "big bang" theory of evolution because it should rotate in the same direction as all the other planets. I've heard evolutionist reasoning explain that it must have hit something as it was flung out from the bang and was therefore caused to rotate in the opposite direction.  ::) Something else odd about Venus: it revolves slower than it rotates. That means it's year is shorter than it's day. Venus' year = 225 earth days. Yet it's day = 243 earth days. So, if you lived on Venus you would grow 1 year older before the day was through.

Just a few fun things for the children. The science book we used is Exploring Creation with Astronomy by Jeannie Fulbright. We enjoyed it.

(I have a horrendous head cold, so if I got my rotates & revolves or math mixed up, please have mercy when you correct me.)

Vicki

« Reply #173 on: October 15, 2011, 11:12:54 AM »
Mnemonic phrase to remember the order of the planets:

My Very Early Morning Just Started Under Nancy's Pancakes
Mercury Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune Pluto

Venus is closer to earth than mercury.

Sister Dee

« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2011, 01:11:44 PM »
Thank you for the info, dear Sister!  That surely sounds like a good book. 

If I'm not mistaken, you should still be able to get a look at Jupiter and its moons.  My oldest son said he wanted to have a look the next time he is over here, maybe in a week.  I thought I heard that it might be the best time around then?  My youngest son has been asking if we can set up the "microscope" and look at Jupiter again!   ;D  Looks like we need a vocabulary lesson!   ;)

Vicki

« Reply #175 on: October 15, 2011, 02:47:19 PM »
 ;D

If someone has info on the best date, time & where in the sky it would be much appreciated.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #176 on: October 15, 2011, 04:35:24 PM »

Gotta love it!

Sister Dee

« Reply #177 on: October 15, 2011, 07:31:37 PM »
Well, I don't know the best time.  I seem to have gotten it mixed up with a meteor shower on the 21st-22nd.   ::)  Gotta keep my events straight! 

But, Jupiter and four moons are still visible.  We have been out looking tonight.  Over in the eastern sky, and for us, above the mountains.  I don't know if you can see it right now since you are further west of us.  Just look for a nice bright spot!   :D

Vicki

« Reply #178 on: October 16, 2011, 10:12:25 AM »
Last night was cloudy. Hopefully tonight will be better.

Gotta love it!

He changed it to "...Under Nellie's Pillow" in honor of a family member. Either way, it sure helps keep them in order.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #179 on: October 17, 2011, 05:03:08 AM »
Keep a look out for a 1.7 ton mirror falling from the sky! Yikes! 

SATELLITE RE-ENTRY: The ROSAT X-ray observatory, launched in 1990 by NASA and managed for years by the German Aerospace Center (DLR), will return to Earth within the next two weeks. Current best estimates place the re-entry between Oct. 22nd and 24th over an unknown part of Earth. Although ROSAT is smaller and less massive than UARS, which grabbed headlines when it re-entered on Sept. 24th, more of ROSAT could reach the planet's surface. This is because the observatory is made of heat-tolerant materials. According to a DLR study, as many as 30 individual pieces could survive the fires of re-entry. The largest single fragment would likely be the telescope's mirror, which is very heat resistant and may weigh as much as 1.7 tons. Source: SpaceWeather.com