Author Topic: Keep a look out for.....  (Read 96730 times)

Vicki

Re: Keep a look out for.....
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2010, 04:27:05 PM »
We got to see Venus, Mars & Saturn; now it's time for Mercury.

Tomorrow morning (October 1) 45 minutes before sunrise, look due east in a place that is unobstructed with houses, trees, etc since the planet will be low on the horizon. Due east will be the brightest spot on the horizon. Venus, the brightest light, will be to the upper right of where the sun will rise. Mercury will be below and slightly to the left - about 10 degrees above the horizon. Everyone in the USA with a clear view should be able to see Mercury. Binoculars not necessary, but helpful as Mercury is much dimmer than Venus.

Don't forget, you need to look 45 minutes before sunrise or the sky will be too bright to see Mercury.

The Messenger Spacecraft is out there orbiting Mercury also. Of course we won't be able to see it, but it's there.

This isn't as exciting as meteors, but we happen to be studying Mercury this week so a view of it is a must.  :)

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2010, 04:56:29 PM »
Have anyone invented a telescope that penetrates pouring rain?  :P  We were fortunate enough to be able to see Mercury (for the first time in my life) last fall, several evenings in a row.  It was easier to find than I expected.  It helps to know exactly where it will be in the sky, of course.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2010, 06:19:55 PM »
Weeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllll   I don't know of any rain piercing telescope ......................  but how about one ------------- ABOVE THE CLOUDS  ;D

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/profile.cfm?Object=Uranus&Display=OverviewLong

atmosphere on pluto

http://www.spacetoday.org/SolSys/Pluto/PlutoWarmWinter.html

above the clouds - hubble

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/solar_system/

Hope this helps
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2010, 02:27:37 PM »
Leonid meteor shower to peak tonight

Bay Area News Group staff report
Posted: 11/17/2010 09:48:54 AM PST
Updated: 11/17/2010 01:47:53 PM PST

The Leonid meteor shower -- a yearly event that in the past has produced some spectacular displays -- will peak Wednesday night, with about 15 meteors per hour expected.

To get a good look, Bay Area skywatchers will have to contend with an unhelpful moon, encroaching clouds and the usual light pollution.

Meteor showers occur when the Earth passes through the debris produced by a comet -- in this case, the comet Tempel-Tuttle. The Leonids appear to radiate from their namesake constellation, Leo, toward the north.

Occasionally Leonids reach the status of meteor storm, say the experts at NASA, with thousands of meteors per hour. A burst of Leonid activity produced spectacular displays from 1998 to 2002, but these events generally recur in cycles of about 33 years.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_16637503?source=most_viewed
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2010, 05:06:15 PM »
15 per hour?  That's only one every 4 minutes.  Hardly worth mentioning, when compared to the falling of the stars in 1833, and even ho hum, compared to the display a few years ago (maybe it was more than 10--can't remember) which produced several per minute.  They tell us we have to get up around 2 a.m. to view them.  Yawn.  I believe I'll remain horizontal.  Let me know how it looks.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2010, 05:08:16 PM »
 :D :D :D and here I was relying on you to tell me!

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #126 on: November 17, 2010, 06:48:47 PM »
Wait until Dec and there will be 50 per hour. That is enough to cause you to stay and look.... and get a stiff neck!  :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Vicki

« Reply #127 on: November 17, 2010, 07:07:50 PM »
I thought that one was at 2AM. Someone will have to call me...

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #128 on: November 17, 2010, 07:19:45 PM »
Tamara will still be up. Maybe she can call you?  :) But then, it will still be light in Australia and it will be tomorrow night. :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Vicki

« Reply #129 on: November 17, 2010, 07:23:50 PM »
I'm glad no one has my phone number.  ;)

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #130 on: November 18, 2010, 03:30:31 AM »
Did anyone venture out?  Oddly enough, I woke up about 2 a.m., but it didn't cross my mind to look out (things are a bit fuzzy at that time of night  ;D ).  It wouldn't have mattered.  We had cloudy skies most of the night anyway.

Vicki

« Reply #131 on: November 18, 2010, 05:47:49 AM »
Too cold. A wind came up from the North-west during the night. As son would say, "Alaska is coming!" I think it's here.  :P

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2010, 05:48:32 AM »
That's funny, Victoria!

Wally, I missed it, too. Well, we have December.  :)

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2010, 04:21:34 PM »
So that's what I saw in the early 60's - a metor storm.    well now I know what to call it.

http://tagoshu.cool.ne.jp/astro_photos/phenomena/leonids2001-e.html

http://www.arm.ac.uk/press/2008/Mars_meteors3_pr.html

A direct meteor his in the Greenville SC area

actual high speed photo of meteors

Looks more like animated or debris rentry than meteors

Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Tamara

• humble servant
« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2010, 06:25:26 PM »
Hehe I would have called you to Vicki!

Not sure what time it would have been here though o.o
I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." ~Psalm 91:2

Vicki

« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2010, 07:18:20 PM »
I was afraid of that!  ;)

Tamara

• humble servant
« Reply #136 on: November 21, 2010, 04:54:47 AM »
Hehe well you can count on it anytime it is needed!  ;D Anything exciting that can be seen from my side of the world?
I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." ~Psalm 91:2

Vicki

« Reply #137 on: November 21, 2010, 05:50:32 AM »
An early sunrise.  ;D I miss those.

I'm not sure how they find these things that are going on. The ones I've stumbled upon have been in our Astrology science book. I"ll keep my eyes open for your area.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #138 on: November 21, 2010, 08:53:37 AM »
The ones I've stumbled upon have been in our Astrology science book.

Not trying to pick on you Vicki but something tells me that you meant to say to astronomy science book not astrology. :)
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

colporteur

« Reply #139 on: November 21, 2010, 09:52:09 AM »
 ;D
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.