Author Topic: Geese and Humans  (Read 9643 times)

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
Geese and Humans
« on: April 11, 2005, 01:24:00 PM »
A Flock of geese won’t follow until those ahead are headed in the right direction.
(Pity humans aren't like that)
As each goose flaps its wings, it creates an “uplift” for the birds following.
By flying in a “V” formation, the whole flock adds 71% more flying range than if each flew alone.
Lesson:
People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier because they are traveling on the energy of one another. For Christians our leader has created a “uplift” for us. As long as we follow close to Him we will have the benefit of this “uplift”.

The geese in formation honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.
Lesson:
We need to make sure we offer encouragement to our team leader and our fellow team members whether at Church or home or wherever, as long as our encouragement is in line with our Leader and His “Uplift”.

When a goose gets sick or wounded, two geese drop out of formation and follow their fellow member, to help and provide protection. They stay with this member of the flock until it is able to fly again or dies. Then they launch out on their own or with another formation to catch up with their own flock.

Lesson:
When we have a much sense as the geese, we too will stand by one another in good times as well as in difficult times.

Whenever a goose falls out of formation, it immediately feels the drag and resistance of trying to fly alone and quickly gets back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the birds ahead of it.

Lesson:
We can demonstrate good sense by joining formation with those who are headed in the same direction that we want to go.

When a lead goose gets tired, it rotates back into formation and another goose flies at the point position.

Lesson:
It makes sense to share leadership and take turns doing the hard tasks. This makes it less likely that any one member will quickly tire out.

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

[This message has been edited by Sister Glass (edited 04-11-2005).]

With Christian Love,
Marie

Sister Marie

Geese and Humans
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 05:41:00 PM »
The Example of the Geese  (First)

Geese won’t follow a way-word goose
To do so would be considered loose.
For Geese are a tight nit group
They are a solid straight-forward troop.

The leader’s flapping wings create
For his followers a “uplift” state.
The “V” formation adds flying range
Never a good thing would they change.

We spend time together, flocks of a feather
Will help us get to where we’re going better.
Christ has created a “uplift” for His Flock
Like the geese there’s no need for a worldly clock.

When we follow close to our Creators Leading
The gift of the “Uplift” we are always seeding.
Dropping a uplift some here and some there
Giving to others some of our share.

So we do seed then we shall find
It will return to us every time.
Following precession geese make their “V”
We too can live just this free.

By,
Marie D. Glass
4-11-05

With Christian Love,
Marie

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: Geese and Humans
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 09:59:25 AM »
A couple of weeks ago I listened to a sermon from a veterinarian and he used these lessons that sister Glass used in her first post. Maybe some of these points could be further discussed.

When a goose gets sick or wounded, two geese drop out of formation and follow their fellow member, to help and provide protection. They stay with this member of the flock until it is able to fly again or dies. Then they launch out on their own or with another formation to catch up with their own flock.

In today's world we are so often caught up in our own lives that we don't pay much attention to what is happening in other people's lives and even if we do we are not sure what to say or even if we should say anything and some things are best left private. But I think it would be good to at least show our concern more for others who seem to be struggling. Most people don't want to admit they are struggling with something because they think it would be embarrassing. It probably takes wisdom and tact to know when and how but if we are called to press together I think how the geese handle the situation might be a good example. :)
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 10:18:13 AM »
Amen!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »
I know that I'm guilty of this and am more or less preaching to myself but there are so many hurting people sitting in church pews every week suffering silently and maybe they can't tell you everything that is going on but it would be good if each of us had 2 or 3 close brothers or sisters that we could feel comfortable asking them to pray and be truly concerned.

The other thing that also got me to thinking was a comment by pastor who asked what do we do if another brother or sister has fallen in sin and therefore wounded by satan. I pray that we would NOT be like the pharisee who said in his prayer... "I thank You that I'm not like other men...." but rather we'd recognize our own weaknesses and help and encourage our fallen comrade in Christ.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
Amen. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. The pain of falling is excruciating, not only to us who have experienced it but to the very heart of Christ. Most times it is known only to the individual and God, therefore others are unaware. Until repented of and forgiven, the guilt can be overwhelming. A struggling saint sometimes wears this burden upon their countenance and when we take notice something is different, we can offer tenderest love toward them, for that is how we would want to be treated. It is at times such as this that we can take them home with us, feed them, fellowship and pray with them. They need to know their suffering is felt by another who is Christ's representative on earth. 

Vicki

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 02:59:54 PM »
In today's world we are so often caught up in our own lives that we don't pay much attention to what is happening in other people's lives ...

I am experiencing members who want to have attention but are not willing to give attention to others. If the elderly members of this church would put aside their likes and dis-likes and visit each other they wouldn't be so lonely. As it is, several of them want me to come visit them during the week since I am usually home. They don't want to deal with a child, though, and let me know he irritates them because he can't sit and let us chat for hours.  ::) It all brings to mind a Bible verse, "If thine enemy hunger, feed him." That's our enemies, folks. Most of us aren't persecuted so we have no idea what it is like to have a true enemy. We are suppose to take care of our enemy - love our enemy. But for our fellow brothers and sisters we can't put aside differences to see that they have a ride to the Dr.'s office, or a warm lunch on a cold day, or just someone to talk to without feeling like we are allowing ourselves to be walked on.

I got a bit miffed at the situation last week. Everyone wants to talk about how their week went but are slow to listen to others. Our 10yo son had a traumatic experience. He tried to tell church members last Sabbath but no one would really listen and the only thing he was told by any of them was "I'm glad you're alright" and that as a passing comment instead of interest in his welfare. Even a 10 yo can tell when he is being brushed aside. He was not alright. He was having anxiety attacks where he complained of having trouble breathing. It would have been nice for this concerned mother to know someone was praying for him. (I PM'd a few people on here which took care of my need. Thank you for being there for me!) One older friend who is not a church member heard about it and called to make sure he was OK. Son got teary eyed over that one mans' thoughtfulness.

I know it is often difficult to find the right words to say. Too many on here have experienced trials where I don't know what to say so my posts seem lame, but I cry with you. I'd like to give you a hug and a shoulder to cry on if necessary. It is easier to address with people I see in church because I can actually do that.  Here's some helpful hints for those who don't know what to do when confronted with another persons trial: ask if the person is alright instead of assuming they are; ask if there is anything you can do for them; ask if they want to talk about it; call them later in the week just to show you care. Just don't brush it aside as unimportant.

(Son is over the breathing trouble & nightmares but still wants to talk about it occasionally.)

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 05:26:46 PM »
In every assembly for worship, there are souls longing for rest and peace. They may appear to be living careless lives, but they are not insensible to the influence of the Holy Spirit. Many among them might be won for Christ.  {COL 191.2} 
     If the lost sheep is not brought back to the fold, it wanders until it perishes. And many souls go down to ruin for want of a hand stretched out to save. These erring ones may appear hard and reckless; but if they had received the same advantages that others have had, they might have revealed far more nobility of soul, and greater talent for usefulness. Angels pity these wandering ones. Angels weep, while human eyes are dry and hearts are closed to pity.  {COL 191.3} 
     O the lack of deep, soul-touching sympathy for the tempted and the erring! O for more of Christ's spirit, and for less, far less, of self!  {COL 192.1} 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 05:47:56 PM »
Amen, dear Jim. Amen.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 09:18:15 PM »
It is a difficult situation even when you want to help someone who is suffering. I recall a time when an acquaintance was some distance away. I looked at he and his wife and thought that I would only be a bother to him, so I did not go over and say hi.  As it turned out, he had just been diagnosed with cancer.  I felt very badly for not having gone over.  It is hard to judge another's motives when we don't know them.  As a matter of fact, we cannot know them. Often people have no idea what trials I am going through or how far behind I am in life because I have taken time away from personal duties to help others. When we are suffering, we need to get our minds off of self and onto Christ. I am not trying to turn the subject, but only to give some balance to it so that we do not misjudge others because they do not do as we want them to do.

But, the subject here is right to the point. In a Laodicean church, there is want of true love. Jesus says that His disciples love those who despitefully use them. The ones who are sick are the ones who need a physician. And we are to be the Great Physician's blessing to humanity. So, the very ones who lack this Christian love are in fact the ones that we are to be taking time to minister to.  As we pray each day, God will show us what is to be on our schedule for that day. And, as the day progresses, are we open to changing our plans to accommodate that still small voice?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Sister Marie

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 07:36:19 PM »
Very Well said. :)
With Christian Love,
Marie

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 07:08:24 AM »
There are souls perplexed with doubt, burdened with infirmities, weak in faith, and unable to grasp the Unseen; but a friend whom they can see, coming to them in Christ's stead, can be a connecting link to fasten their trembling faith upon Christ.  {DA 297.2} 
     We are to be laborers together with the heavenly angels in presenting Jesus to the world. With almost impatient eagerness the angels wait for our co-operation; for man must be the channel to communicate with man. And when we give ourselves to Christ in wholehearted devotion, angels rejoice that they may speak through our voices to reveal God's love.  {DA 297.3} 

Sister Marie

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 07:52:25 AM »
Those geese can follow an unseen leader....we should be able to also.
With Christian Love,
Marie

Vicki

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 11:34:28 AM »
There are souls perplexed with doubt, burdened with infirmities, weak in faith, and unable to grasp the Unseen; but a friend whom they can see, coming to them in Christ's stead, can be a connecting link to fasten their trembling faith upon Christ.  {DA 297.2} 
     We are to be laborers together with the heavenly angels in presenting Jesus to the world. With almost impatient eagerness the angels wait for our co-operation; for man must be the channel to communicate with man. And when we give ourselves to Christ in wholehearted devotion, angels rejoice that they may speak through our voices to reveal God's love.  {DA 297.3}

Beautiful! Astounding! Awe inspiring. Solemn responsibility.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 05:08:36 AM »
If Christians would associate together, speaking to each other of the love of God and of the precious truths of redemption, their own hearts would be refreshed and they would refresh one another. We may be daily learning more of our heavenly Father, gaining a fresh experience of His grace; then we shall desire to speak of His love; and as we do this, our own hearts will be warmed and encouraged. If we thought and talked more of Jesus, and less of self, we should have far more of His presence.  {SC 101.3} 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 05:38:00 AM »
Amen, Jim. I had to go back to the first post to see what this has to do with geese. :)

Those geese can follow an unseen leader....we should be able to also.

Amen! It is by faith we are to follow our Lord. There is no greater sin than "unbelief".

A number of the disciples now made the familiar upper chamber their temporary home, and at evening all except Thomas gathered here. One evening Thomas determined to meet with the others. Notwithstanding his unbelief, he had a faint hope that the good news was true. While the disciples were taking their evening meal, they talked of the evidences which Christ had given them in the prophecies. "Then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you."   
     Turning to Thomas He said, "Reach hither thy finger, and behold My hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into My side: and be not faithless, but believing." These words showed that He was acquainted with the thoughts and words of Thomas. The doubting disciple knew that none of his companions had seen Jesus for a week. They could not have told the Master of his unbelief. He recognized the One before him as his Lord. He had no desire for further proof. His heart leaped for joy, and he cast himself at the feet of Jesus crying, "My Lord and my God."   
     Jesus accepted his acknowledgment, but gently reproved his unbelief: "Thomas, because thou hast seen Me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." The faith of Thomas would have been more pleasing to Christ if he had been willing to believe upon the testimony of his brethren. Should the world now follow the example of Thomas, no one would believe unto salvation; for all who receive Christ must do so through the testimony of others.  DA 807.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.