Author Topic: Protected by dolphins  (Read 2470 times)

Brad

Protected by dolphins
« on: November 23, 2004, 07:39:00 AM »
WELLINGTON (Reuters) - A pod of dolphins circled protectively round a group of New Zealand swimmers to fend off an attack by a great white shark, media reported on Tuesday.

Lifesavers Rob Howes, his 15-year-old daughter Niccy, Karina Cooper and Helen Slade were swimming 300 feet off Ocean Beach near Whangarei on New Zealand's North Island when the dolphins herded them -- apparently to protect them from a shark.

"They started to herd us up, they pushed all four of us together by doing tight circles around us," Howes told the New Zealand Press Association (NZPA).

Howes tried to drift away from the group, but two of the bigger dolphins herded him back just as he spotted a nine-foot great white shark swimming toward the group.

"I just recoiled. It was only about 2 m away from me, the water was crystal clear and it was as clear as the nose on my face," Howes said, referring to a distance of 6 feet.

"They had corralled us up to protect us," he said.

The lifesavers spent the next 40 minutes surrounded by the dolphins before they could safely swim back to shore. The incident happened on October 30, but the lifesavers kept the story to themselves until now.

Environment group Orca Research said dolphins attacked sharks to protect themselves and their young, so their actions in protecting the lifesavers was understandable.

Link to the story

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Protected by dolphins
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 09:50:00 AM »
I have no doubts that this behavior is natural when protecting their own kind and maybe transfered this idea to the people in the water. However, I like to believe that maybe the Lord has a special plan for one or all of these people that were kept safe.

Thanks for the story Brad. It is good to see God's grace even in nature.  :)

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
Protected by dolphins
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 02:11:00 AM »
God uses all ways to protect us. And He indeed does have a reason for all things.  :)

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Protected by dolphins
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 05:08:00 AM »
Amen! God's hand is over all that happens in this world. It is interesting to study the intelligence of animals. It appears that they are smarter than many give them credit for. It seems that many mammals and some birds are highly intelligent. They are not on par with man, but not far behind.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.