Author Topic: Stargazers Await Weekend Lunar Eclipse  (Read 2388 times)

Brad

Stargazers Await Weekend Lunar Eclipse
« on: November 06, 2003, 07:15:00 PM »
This sounds exciting..

Stargazers across North America will watch the full moon dim into a dark, ruddy orb Saturday night as the moon drifts through Earth's shadow in the latest celestial event this year to pull eyes skyward.

Astronomers who scrutinized Mars this summer during its closest approach to Earth in 60,000 years were more recently awed by red and green aurora displays as far south as Florida thanks to big explosions on the sun.

And now more heavenly happenings are on the way.

Saturday's lunar eclipse will be followed by the Leonid meteor shower, a total solar eclipse over the southern hemisphere - and a chance for more auroras if the sun stays active. Another eruption Tuesday on the sun may rank among the most intense solar events ever recorded. But the explosion was aimed away from Earth, meaning it would have little impact here.

Still, the otherworldly event the public has the best chance of seeing is Saturday's total eclipse of the moon. At its peak, the moon will hang eerily in the night sky like a dark, reddish-orange coal.

Unlike unpredictable comets and meteors, the moon is a reliable show, said Stephen Maran, a spokesman for the American Astronomical Society.

"Nowadays people who've grown up in the city or suburbs have never seen the Milky Way, but even in the most light-polluted place I've ever been - downtown Los Angeles - you can see the moon," he said.

Weather cooperating, people in the eastern United States will witness the entire eclipse; it will already be under way when the moon rises around sunset in the West.

The eclipse reaches totality at 8:06 p.m. EST. That stage - when the moon, Earth and sun are lined up precisely and the moon passes through the darkest part of Earth's shadow - lasts just 24 minutes.

Washington Post

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 11:52:00 PM »
And to think we are having rain all weekend. I was so happy for the rain till now.  :(

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Liane H

• http://
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 06:24:00 AM »
May be blessed, the storm coming through appears to give us a break on Saturday night. At least for us in Bishop that may be possible.

If I get to see it I will let you all know.

Liane  

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Liane H

• http://
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2003, 04:16:00 AM »
Well the storm came in late and missed it as well. At least we could have gotten some decent rain out of it, but just sprinkles.

Both a dissapointment to me.

Liane

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 01:24:00 PM »
We have been having nothing but pouring rain. And even had a ice, thunder storm this afternoon. It is the heavest of all three or four days. The field is under water and the dogs are wondering what in the world is going on.  :)

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie