Author Topic: GARDENING TIPS  (Read 54131 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: GARDENING TIPS
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2008, 03:50:40 PM »
This is valuable information, Brother Wally! Thank you so much. I am going to get fresh seeds. My neighbor cleaned out her garage and gave me the seeds. There is no telling how old they are.

Thank your friend for me. Blessings!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2008, 10:56:18 PM »
Thanks, Brother Wally.  I love to learn. I hate to have to go back and redo things. Better to do a little research ahead of time and get it right. I still remember my spring box that didn't work out!  :(
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2008, 09:55:16 AM »
Thanks, Brother Wally.  I love to learn. I hate to have to go back and redo things. Better to do a little research ahead of time and get it right. I still remember my spring box that didn't work out!  :(

After talking to my local gardening expert, I realized that there are many variables to consider when decided how to prepare a raised bed.  Their suggestion was to get a book on the subject at the library.  Apparently John Jeavons was one of the pioneers of raised bed farming, and he has written a number of books on gardening.  If you could find one of those it would help.  My other solution would be to consult with our good friend, "Google."  I noticed there is a lot of information available just by typing in "raised beds for gardening."  One thing my local expert did say, though, was that if you have very wet soil that is hard to get into in the spring, you need a higher bed than if you have dry soil.  Either way, it requires more watering than the normal garden.  Happy gardening!  Those of us here in the sub-arctic are still waiting for the snow to melt off of the garden. ::)  If you can believe it, 2 years ago I was tilling my garden this time of year--but that was unusual; usually it's the first or second week of May before I can work the soil.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2008, 11:50:27 AM »
Inspiration tell us how to plant fruit trees - I wonder if it is basically the same for vegetable gardens (outside of the raised ones).

A layer of rocks at the base of a very deep hole, then "soil preparations" - then another layer of rocks, then soil preparations again until it is built up to reach the proper base placement of the young fruit tree.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Gardening Tips
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2008, 08:48:45 AM »
Flower garden comment ...

I did not know Red Hot Pokers would spread so far outside of their original planting plot. These things are coming up 20 to 30 feet away from the original plant. It was my understanding they spread through the root and no other way - evidently not. I know the root system is nothing like the aspens, so this was a very interesting occurrence.

And Jim - the mammoth sunflowers are just coming up! ;D

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2008, 12:29:52 PM »
I believe the success of the plant is shown in the parable of the sower and the results obtained depending upon which soil the seed landed upon.

The depth of the soil is dependent upon the plant. Some send down roots quite deep. A tree often sends downs a tap root of many roots quite deep and they do not want to sit in water. So, the kind of soil already there and the plants being planted have  a lot to do with it.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2008, 03:41:08 PM »
I think there will be even more blessings from having a garden this year and onward!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2008, 05:17:59 PM »
You are so right. The times call for it! And I need to get busy on converting my garage.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2008, 12:14:34 PM »
Diane - look in this topic and you will see all about growing tomatoes. :D I am no pro - that is why you are getting referred to this topic! /s

Sister Dee

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2008, 12:30:47 PM »
 :'(   You mean I have to dig around for answers!?  Okay, if I must, I must!   :)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2008, 12:52:03 PM »
Okay - you got to me!  ;D

Do you want to grow from seeds or small plants?

If from seeds - place three little seeds in a small pot and keep it wet to damp and sit it in a sunny window.

If from plants - place them in  a 6" pot with a drain hole and a tray. Keep them damp and sit in a sunny window. Wha - La! In a little while you will have a nice sized plant that will bloom and then produce tomatoes. Keep them in the sunshine. As they grow they will need support for the little limbs, so you could probably find a little tall cage to sit over them, tying them to the sides of the cage. The tomatoes will really weigh the plant down, so give it as much support as possible.

Tomato plants are very easy to grow. About one time a month give it some Miracle Grow.

Mine are finally growing well. They did not like being outside as early as I wanted to place them there - so back in pots they went.

Sister Dee

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2008, 07:05:32 PM »
Oh, they're outside in maybe 2 gallon pots on the porch.  Will that be big enough or will they need something larger?  And they're probably to the point where they could use some support.  I'm so scared I'm going to kill them!   :o  I did see that they need 8 hours of full sun, so we need to move them.  We were told that we should keep them out of the wind, too.  Don't know how we're gonna do that around here!   ::)  You know, I don't even know what kind of tomatoes we have.  I'll have to ask. 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2008, 07:38:45 PM »
You won't kill them and if they are large enough to already need support, don't move them to a larger pot. Just keep them in the ones you have and give them what they need - sun and water. Nurseries or even Wal-Mart have the wire cage to support the limbs. They will do just fine. Be bold, sister. Just don't let them get dry.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2008, 10:30:29 PM »
And don't keep them wet!  :)

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2008, 01:13:42 PM »
We have 5 varities of tomatoes and 2 big bertha bell peppers, some marigolds and a pineapple top in bushel basket sized containers on the deck.  our daughter had left three sacks of pine bark mulch and so I used that as a base, put in the plants, and poured Miracle grow potting dirt around them.   They are happy after the cool-cold spring is over. I ve already rooted one German Queen tomato sucker.
tomatos:
1. German Queen-1 plant
2. Pink Beefsteak - 1 plant
3. Golden jubilee-2 plants
4. Homestead heirloom - 1 plant
5. Parks Improved Whopper - 1 plant

Peppers:
Big Bertha Bell Pepper - 2 plants

I'd love to find a Trip-L-Crop tomato plant and plant it at the bottom of the deck and train it upwards and across the deck.  

Gone are the days when Linda planted 90+ tomato plants in our backyard claypit ( I mean garden)  ;D.    

The 9+ inches deep old pine bark mulch should hold water well, but don't walk under the deck when watering till after it quits draining.

BTW - Bananna Trees, Fig Trees, lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruit, satsuma, papaya, ginger, pineapple, guava  -  all will thrive in indoor containers year round.    to fruit wrap a thermostatically controlled seed starting mat around the bannana container - the roots need to get to 75 degrees F.  to start and develop and ripen fruit, let 1-2 pups grow and develop before cutting down the old fruiting trunk so they will become the next fruiting trunk.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Sister Dee

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2008, 09:39:06 AM »
We're rejoicing here this morning......we found little bitty tomatoes starting to grow on three of our four plants!   ;D   The kids are so excited and I'm just glad I haven't killed them off yet.  Now, if we can just get some to harvest!   :D

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2008, 09:53:51 AM »
YAY!!!!! You are way ahead of me! Mine are barely six inches tall. But then you live where it is warmer. Great going, Diane! Fabulous!

Lewis

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2008, 10:06:17 AM »
 ::)  Wow... Ok, what few plants we have are catching up. Someday next month they may be an inch or two higher. Our tallest plant is about 2 inches high right now :o

From what I have observed with growing in the mountains is that there seems to be a boundry line around 9,000 feet, give or take a few hundred feet in growing things. I am way above the growing point I guess.  :)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2008, 10:15:44 AM »
Poor Lewis! We need to invest in some oxygen tanks for those plants!  :D :D They are struggling - but they will make it.

I think it is now safe to put my plants outside. Middle of June. Too early?  ;D Surely we won't have a norther!

Lewis

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2008, 10:19:04 AM »
Poor Lewis! We need to invest in some oxygen tanks for those plants!  :D :D They are struggling - but they will make it.

I think it is now safe to put my plants outside. Middle of June. Too early?  ;D Surely we won't have a norther!

Oh no! Not poor me  :)  Great idea about oxygen tanks for the plants!!! ;D

As far as outside, our temps were down to 21 degrees Wednesday night and 21 degrees last night. :-\