Author Topic: Have you seen a fawn lately?  (Read 3272 times)

charlene

• http://
Have you seen a fawn lately?
« on: July 31, 2000, 12:39:00 PM »

I Just returned from a wonderful vacation in California. Visiting my son, who lives next door to Yosemite National Park, we drove to the High Country on Sabbath to see the 'Spring' that resides now in this High elevation.  Not only did we see the new spring wild flowers but were excited to watch two fawn fleeing from our intrusion into their territory.  Here is where we find Deer in our Bibles......

Psalms 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after the, Oh God."

At least three species of deer frequented Palestine in the days when forests still covered the mountains. One was the red deer, similar to that found in Europe. The second, the fallow deer, also lives in Europe. Smaller in size, it ranges in color from white to dark brown, but is usually tan, spotted with white in summer. It has Palmate antlers.

The roebuck is a third Eurasian deer that was also common in the Bible lands. We cannot, however, be sure that any scriptural passage spicifically refers to it, even though the KJV employs the name. The roebuck is a small secretive deer that comes out only at night.  The bucks have short, upright spikes or forked anttlers.  Bones of reindeer and European elk [like our moose] have turned up in caves in Lebanon. It is unlikely that the Israelites would have classified them as deer.

The KJV Calls the stag, buck, or male deer, by the archaic "hart." The doe, or female deer, goes by the name of "hind." The writer of 1Kings 4:23 refers to "harts, and roebucks, and fallowdeer" being served at the king's table. The passage contains two mistranslations. The Hebrew 'tsebi' should have been "bubal" instead of "fallowdeer." For additional information, see under those headings.

The meat of deer, classed as clean, appeared on Solomon's table. Isaac asked Esau to bring him savory venison is deer meat, but in this case scholars tend to think that the patriarch had in mind the flesh of the wild goat, the ibex.

In most of the deer family, only males have antlers, caribou and reindeer being exceptions, On most horned animals the horn is hollow sheath that frows around a bony core, and the outer shell sheds annually.

On deer the antlers, as they are called rather than horns, are solid. When the deer shed their antlers in late winter or early spring, they come off right at the skull. During the summer the bucks grow new antlers that will be ready for use in the fall.  Usuallu they will grow a little larger than the year before, with additional points. Even the enormous racks of ;the caribou and the six-foot spread of the Alaska moose develop in one short season and then drop off again.

When Jacob blessed his 12 sons [Genesis 49:21], he said that Naphtali "is a hind let loose," suggesting that he was nimble as a deer. In Isaiah 35:6 we read,  "Then shall the lame man leap as an hart,"  indicating how the infirmities and sicknesses of the present life will vanished in the earth made new. When forests still covered the Holy Land, the woods cantained many deer. As David hid from Saul in the wilderness he must have seen the thirsty stags come down to the streams to drink in the evenings. The scene struck him as a fit and poetic simile to describe his great longing for water of life that comes from God alone.

I pray we will thirst for Christ and His righteousness.
In His Love,

------------------
charlene

[This message has been edited by Richard Myers (edited 09-17-2000).]

charlene

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2000, 06:04:00 AM »
Thank you, Sister Charlene for that beautiful nature lesson. We have moved so very far from nature and the lessons that are contained therein.  Pity the poor children that grow up in the cities and seldom contemplate God's creation.

I do remember the sight of new born fawn that I saw many years ago. I was walking in the forest and came upon it. We all want to touch most baby animals, but there is something special about a spotted fawn in the wild.  They appear so vulnerable and needy. Did not God create within us this great desire to want to help and protect the helpless? Thinking of God's creation has reminded me of the truth that it is more blessed to give than to receive. Our joy will be full when we are livng a self-sacrificing life as our Saviour did when He walked upon this earth.

In His love and grace,   Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Laurie Mosher

• There is a place of quiet rest
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2000, 04:22:00 AM »
  I, too, have been blessed by seeing baby animals ,right in my own back yard. Several years ago, a mother deer with her TRIPLETS, proudly presented them to us, on our back lawn. Truly BEAUTIFUL! And aren't we priviliged in beholding God's creations?

Whenever I hear Oscar and Diane Kosarin (piano & violin) play (Ps.42:1), I am in absolute awe, and enthralled as I picture the deer playing in the meadows, leap-frogging over eachother, and chasing one another.

Thank You Father for beholding Your creations! And thank you Charlene for sharing with us.
 Keep "the" faith!
Bro. Laurie   :)

Keep "the" Faith,  Brother Laurie

charlene

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2000, 08:04:00 AM »
Vacations are over, for the most part. Surely someone had a nest of Robins on their porch or a fox run through the trees. There are many nature experiences you have had but that you are not sharing...come on now and write it all down that we  all may  enjoy!!!

"Once apon a time..........."

------------------
charlene

charlene

gorazd

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2000, 11:14:00 AM »
 Well,... once upon a summertime I was walking through the woods. We have a lot of unspoiled woods around here, many animals still living freely in them.

As I was walking and thinking, I suddenly saw a doe before me. She was quietly standing there, and because the wood was very thick with trees around there, she haven't noticed me before I was about 10 meters from her. I haven't noticed her before too.

I've stopped and remained still and quiet, and she also has stayed as she was. It was a very interesting scene, a man and a doe looking at each other for some time - it was like two beings from quite different worlds, sharing not much more than the same Creator, met. Then, after about 20 seconds, she sort of sobered up and ran away quickly.

It was very beautiful experience, I can hardly describe it. Usually does are very careful not to be anyway near humans. I have been thinking how it must have been to Adam, when animals began to be disobedient to him and even violent because of his fall. That must have been very painful thing to see. We can see that children, when they want to touch and play with wild animals which they see, do not seem to understand why these run away; children many times feel that all animals should be domestic animals and I believe that we have this written in us by the Creator.

charlene

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2000, 03:36:00 PM »
The time will com when 'the lamb will be with the lion, and a little child will lead them'. Praise God, it is hard to wait for heaven.

------------------
charlene

charlene