Author Topic: Value in Studying Nature  (Read 9510 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Value in Studying Nature
« on: February 08, 2000, 12:47:00 PM »
As we seek to understand God and His will for us, we look to the Bible as our primary lesson book.  For those that have not the Bible, they are not left without evidence of the presence and power of God. "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;  Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath showed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse." Romans 1:18-20.

Not only for those without Bibles is nature a witness of the unseen, but for those of us who study the Bible, also. We may see the hand of God in nature and learn much. "Since the book of nature and the book of revelation bear the impress of the same master mind, they cannot but speak in harmony. By different methods, and in different languages, they witness to the same great truths. Science is ever discovering new wonders; but she brings from her research nothing that, rightly understood, conflicts with divine revelation. The book of nature and the written word shed light upon each other. They make us acquainted with God by teaching us something of the laws through which He works." Education PG 128.

"There is harmony between nature and Christianity; for both have the same Author. The book of nature and the book of revelation indicate the working of the same divine mind. There are lessons to be learned in nature; and there are lessons, deep, earnest, and all-important lessons, to be learned from the book of God." Fundamentals of Christian Education PG 85.

We are blessed to have an artist with us. Charlene has been blessed with a talent to paint that which God has created. As an artist she has an ability of observation that is generally much more developed than the rest of us, for she must "see" before she can paint. This ability to observe nature gives her an opportunity to learn from God's second book in a manner that many of us have not exercised.

Charlene, with her husband Bob's help, has consented to moderate this forum on God's Second Book. We look forward to being able to use this technology that God has given, to His honor and glory. Thank you, Sister Charlene and Brother Bob.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

charlene

• http://
Value in Studying Nature
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2000, 08:15:00 AM »
Thank you Richard for asking Bob and me to participate on this Forum. I am so grateful for a place where we may all uplift our God and give thanks to Him for all of His bountiful blessings. This will be the goal of our 'Nature' thread. But....I need all of your help. Your input will be needed for the success of this subject of God's Creations in nature.

Please come and join us on this topic and share God's beautiful world through your eyes, and let us praise His name together.

Thank you and God Bless,
charlene and Bob

charlene

Laurie Mosher

• There is a place of quiet rest
Value in Studying Nature
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2000, 03:37:00 PM »
  Dear Charlene,
   I can see that ALL of us will be blessed abundantly in this special topic. It is near and dear to my heart also. When I first came on line in the "other" forum,the topic was NATURE (living in the country). I was very new and "naive" (Still naive), but RichardM was one of the first to email me and encourage me, and you Charlene (ChyVan) were the second. I knew right then, no matter what, I had two of the most precious people to depend on. And thru 'thick and thin', on the "other" forum, you- Charlene and Richard stood by me and my comments.

Having never met either of you in person, let me say right here and now, I love you both dearly, and feel as though we have been friends for a long long time. Under both your tutorage, I have developed patience (and we know I still have a ways to go on that one yet...but GerryW is also coaching me along-  thank you Gerry for your email of encouragment).

Anyhow I look forward to working and praying with everyone also on this "nature theme".

Thank YOU, too Richard for your unfailing support for me, and my family.

This column is going to be a great one for the Lord!!

Keep "the" faith as it is in Jesus.
     Laurie

Keep "the" Faith,  Brother Laurie

charlene

Value in Studying Nature
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2000, 05:06:00 PM »
Spring is coming, and with it all the resurected sleeping beauties of nature, this book of nature has endless pages...

The Youth's Instructor---DT- 11-12-96
    The youth can learn from the book of nature wonderful things in regard to God's law in the natural world. God would have a comparison drawn between spiritual and earthly things, and the youth can grasp these things by studying the works of his hand. The tares have a lesson to impart. If the mind will be impressed, lessons may be learned as to the daily life of these objects in nature, that will be of more benefit than any  discourse from human lips. If the heart and mind are not perverted by depraved  associations, light from heaven will illuminate the mind, and there imprint its lessons of instruction concerning divine things. Who made the seed to spring up? Who
tends it day and night, that it may not die? Who gives it strength to develop and grow?-- It is the Author of our being, the King of heaven. And he exercises still greater care and interest in behalf of his children.
                                                       Mrs. E. G. White.
God Bless,
charlene

charlene

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Value in Studying Nature
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2000, 09:54:00 AM »
We want to teach our daughter more lessons from nature. It is time to start our garden and we are looking for new object lessons. Who has seen a beautiful spiritual truth while working in the garden? Please share.  :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

charlene

Value in Studying Nature
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2000, 01:08:00 PM »
Dear Richard....Spring is a great time to teach re-birth.  The seed that must die before it can be reborn anew to a greater life.  This shows the regeneration and recreation of God in our life. That we must die to self and be born again in the new life and the reformation of our character, in growing to a full and mature plant.

The great story of Nicodemus goes with this teaching. This was Jesus first time [since his walking on earth as Jesus] that He revealed  to man, His plan of salvation.

God Bless

------------------
charlene

charlene

charlene

Value in Studying Nature
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2000, 02:32:00 PM »
 The Health Reformer-- 03-01-71
Spring Has Come

All, both young and old, should be in the open air as much as possible. Those who are in health should share the benefit of employment in the open air, in order to keep well. But above all, should invalids, who have been unable to breast the chill winds of winter, make the most of these spring days of beautiful sunshine, and be out of doors all that they can, and rejoice with the happy songsters in the prospect of approaching summer. Those who cannot walk without great fatigue should ride out. Those who can engage
in light employment should do so; for the muscles will be strengthened by exercise. Work out of doors, you invalids that can. But at all events do not remain shut up in your houses. Walk out. Ride out. And if you can do no more, sit out in the open air, where heaven's breezes can come to you in their
freshness, and where you can view the  sunshine and shadow upon the face of nature.

------------------
charlene

charlene

charlene

Value in Studying Nature
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2000, 07:28:00 AM »
Sons and Daughters of God---PG- 241

"In the plan of redemption there are mysteries that the human mind cannot fathom,--things which human wisdom cannot explain, --but nature can teach us much concerning the mystery of godliness. Then let the minds of the young, as far as possible, learn from nature's book. Every shrub, every tree bearing fruit, all vegetation, is given for our benefit. The mysteries of the kingdom of God are to be read in the growth of the seed. . . . God designed that nature
should be to man a lesson-book to guide him from the path of disobedience back to God. There is need of a close study of nature
under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The Lord is giving object-lessons, He is making holy truths familiar to the human mind,
through the most simple things of nature."

God is so Good,

------------------
charlene

charlene

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Value in Studying Nature
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2000, 07:17:00 AM »
I am still soliciting lessons from nature as found in the garden.  Here's why. "The system
               of education instituted at the beginning of the world was to be a
               model for man throughout all aftertime. As an illustration of its
               principles a model school was established in Eden, the home of our
               first parents. The Garden of Eden was the the schoolroom, nature was
               the lesson book, the Creator Himself was the instructor, and the
               parents of the human family were the students."

I am looking for personal testimonies, but even a recommendation of a good book will suffice.

Richard

charlene

Value in Studying Nature
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2000, 07:12:00 AM »
Is anyone interested in this topic ?   Shall we just discontinue the nature forum? Can we find our God in Nature and can we share what lessons we have learned???  

How does God show His love in Nature?

God Bless,

------------------
charlene

charlene

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Value in Studying Nature
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2000, 09:48:00 AM »
What, and lose the opportunity to learn valuable lessons about God and ways to teach our children the plan of salvation? No...we want to follow God's counsel. Iwill share a lesson that I see in the garden. We have what is called Bermuda grass. It makes a good lawn for those with chldren that are hard on a lawn. If you like to garden, don't plant Bermuda grass. It is the most horrible thing to get rid of. It has a root system that spreads underground like grapevines do above the ground. If you til the ground then you break the roots of the bermuda and plant thousands of the roots throughout the garden.

What is the lesson?  When you first see a little blade of bermuda grass growing where it does not belong, get rid of it immediately. Don't wait and don't do a superficial job by just breaking off the top of the grass (weed). When we first become aware of a "little" sin in our life, don't wait to do something about it, don't just cut the top off (an outward action), but rather get to the root of the matter which is the heart. Just as in the garden the sin must be gotten completely. The heart must be purified before the sin is eradicated. We can deal with symptoms, but we are fooling ourselves. The roots remain and we shall have a bigger problem to deal with the longer we wait.

ps....thank you, Sister Charlene for your faithfulness in sharing.  :) There are many who will appreciate the forum. God's Word does not return void.

charlene

Value in Studying Nature
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2000, 12:06:00 PM »
Dear Richard,
Thanks for the reply, there is so much to learn from the open book of nature.  Your story reminds me of the vine we have here in the south called, Kudzu.  This is a plague. It suffocates, like a mighty python, everything it can entwine its fast growing green viney tips.  In this area of the South, unattended acreage, hillsides, abandoned homes, cars, equipment is covered in no time, sometime completely covering and hiding what is underneath. Like Sin, in your example....It looks lovely from the outside, even tempting, and in the spring it has a beautiful blossom.....but woe is he that sits under a tree with this vine [sin] approaching...he better move or get caught up in the suffocating battle. Kudzu, Burmuda grass, a good example of how sin works to 'take over' the life.

Richard I have ordered the books [3 volumes, hard cover] entitled   'Bible Plants and Animals.' It is by Harry Baerg.  The discription is..."Beautiful illustrations and enlightening commentary on every mammal, plant  , and bird mentioned in the Bible. It is hard cover. This seems it would be good for your teaching about your garden. Is available at the ABC.  I feel when the books arrive...i will have some fresh material to post.  I trust it will be of interest to all. God Bless,

------------------
charlene

charlene

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Value in Studying Nature
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2000, 11:34:00 AM »
Happy Sabbath all!  Sister Charlene, what a good description of the workings of sin!

I look forward to lessons from your new book. God is leading men and women who will follow His counsel. You will appreciate this thought. The Great Teacher brought His hearers in contact with nature, that they might listen to the voice which speaks in all created things; and as their hearts became tender and their minds receptive, He helped them to interpret the spiritual teaching of the scenes upon which their eyes rested. The parables, by means of which He loved to teach lessons of truth, show how open His spirit was to the influences of nature and how He delighted to gather the spiritual teaching from the surroundings of daily life.

Although the earth is blighted with the curse, nature is still to be man's lesson book. It cannot now represent goodness only as before the fall; for evil is everywhere present, marring earth and sea and air with its defiling touch. Where once was written only the character of God, the knowledge of good, is now written also the character of Satan, the knowledge of evil. From nature, which now reveals the knowledge of good and evil, man is continually to receive warning as to the results of sin. If only we would take advantage of this light and spend time in nature on the Sabbath Day beholding these spiritual lessons. How good for our children to do so.

We are off to the mountains!  :)

charlene

Value in Studying Nature
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2000, 03:23:00 PM »

How did Jesus teach?  The Master teacher used Nature for great lessons for His chosen ones.

The Desire of Ages---"He Ordained Twelve"
              -PG- 291

In training His disciples, Jesus chose to withdraw from the confusion  of the city to the quiet of the fields and hills, as more in harmony with the lessons of self-abnegation He desired to teach them. And during His ministry He loved to gather the people about Him under the blue heavens, on some grassy hillside, or on the beach beside the lake. Here, surrounded by the works of His own creation, He could turn the thoughts of His hearers from the artificial to the natural. In the growth and development of nature were revealed the principles of His kingdom. As men should lift up their eyes to the hills of God, and behold the wonderful works of His hands, they could learn precious lessons of divine truth. Christ's teaching would be repeated to them in the things
of nature. So it is with all who go into the fields with Christ in their hearts. They will feel themselves surrounded with a holy influence. The things of nature take up the parables of our Lord, and repeat His counsels. By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest."

In His Love

------------------
charlene

charlene

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Value in Studying Nature
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 05:17:12 PM »
Amen!! We are considering this in this week's Sabbath School lessons.