Author Topic: Celiac Disease  (Read 3121 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Celiac Disease
« on: March 29, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
Celiac disease is the inability to digest gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley. An estimated 1 percent of all Americans suffer from celiac disease, though many have never been diagnosed and are not receiving treatment.

Many physicians consider celiac disease exceedingly rare because they say they have never seen someone present with it. But with such varied symptoms, celiac disease is being missed or misdiagnosed.

Celiac disease is a digestive disease that damages the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food. People who have celiac disease cannot tolerate a protein called gluten, found in wheat, rye, and barley. Gluten is found mainly in foods, but is also found in products we use every day, such as stamp and envelope adhesive, medicines, and vitamins.
Diagram of gastrointestinal tract with shading of the small intestine.

When people with celiac disease eat foods or use products containing gluten, their immune system responds by damaging the small intestine. The tiny, fingerlike protrusions lining the small intestine are damaged or destroyed. Called villi, they normally allow nutrients from food to be absorbed into the bloodstream. Without healthy villi, a person becomes malnourished, regardless of the quantity of food eaten.

Because the body's own immune system causes the damage, celiac disease is considered an autoimmune disorder. However, it is also classified as a disease of malabsorption because nutrients are not absorbed. Celiac disease is also known as celiac sprue, nontropical sprue, and gluten-sensitive enteropathy.

Celiac disease is a genetic disease, meaning it runs in families. Sometimes the disease is triggered-or becomes active for the first time-after surgery, pregnancy, childbirth, viral infection, or severe emotional stress.

What are the symptoms of celiac disease?

Celiac disease affects people differently. Symptoms may occur in the digestive system, or in other parts of the body. For example, one person might have diarrhea and abdominal pain, while another person may be irritable or depressed. In fact, irritability is one of the most common symptoms in children.

Symptoms of celiac disease may include one or more of the following:

* gas
   * recurring abdominal bloating and pain
   * chronic diarrhea
   * pale, foul-smelling, or fatty stool
   * weight loss / weight gain
   * fatigue
   * unexplained anemia (a low count of red blood cells causing fatigue)
   * bone or joint pain
   * osteoporosis, osteopenia
   * behavioral changes
   * tingling numbness in the legs (from nerve damage)
   * muscle cramps
   * seizures
   * missed menstrual periods (often because of excessive weight loss)
   * infertility, recurrent miscarriage
   * delayed growth
   * failure to thrive in infants
   * pale sores inside the mouth, called aphthous ulcers
   * tooth discoloration or loss of enamel
   * itchy skin rash called dermatitis herpetiformis

A person with celiac disease may have no symptoms. People without symptoms are still at risk for the complications of celiac disease, including malnutrition. The longer a person goes undiagnosed and untreated, the greater the chance of developing malnutrition and other complications. Anemia, delayed growth, and weight loss are signs of malnutrition: The body is just not getting enough nutrients. Malnutrition is a serious problem for children because they need adequate nutrition to develop properly. (See Complications.)

Why are celiac symptoms so varied?

Researchers are studying the reasons celiac disease affects people differently. Some people develop symptoms as children, others as adults. Some people with celiac disease may not have symptoms, while others may not know their symptoms are from celiac disease. The undamaged part of their small intestine may not be able to absorb enough nutrients to prevent symptoms.

The length of time a person is breastfed, the age a person started eating gluten-containing foods, and the amount of gluten containing foods one eats are three factors thought to play a role in when and how celiac appears. Some studies have shown, for example, that the longer a person was breastfed, the later the symptoms of celiac disease appear and the more uncommon the symptoms.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: Celiac Disease
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 04:18:50 PM »
Has anyone here know of anyone who is successfully managing this disease or has helped someone?
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Dorine

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 05:58:01 AM »
I know an SDA 'family' that has this. They are managing it by a strict gluten free diet.
I do believe there are people who say they can not eat gluten but that really doesn't seem to be their problem. It's a fad around here lately.

I thought maybe gluten was bothering me but going off it did not change anything. I did not have any of the symptoms that Richard listed except muscle cramps and leg and feet tingling from nerve damage. But this is caused from two back surgeries 28 years ago. So to answer your question Jim, I only know of one family. All the others that say they have Celiac's can be seen consuming plenty of hidden gluten at pot lucks with no ill effects.

But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 08:53:15 AM »
Thanks for answering Dorine. I know someone who has actually been diagnosed with it and it has become a real problem recently. To the point I'm really concerned. This person is also extremely low on iron and is anemic. And correcting this comes with it's own set of problems which doubles down on an issue they are already dealing with, making them very reluctant to try and correct the anemia. I was able to find a little help from a friend who pointed towards a couple of products that might help. So we will see what happens. What I didn't know until recently is that if has been processed to be "gluten free" then it's probably also fiber free which also leads to other issues.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

colporteur

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 08:56:07 AM »

I believe the majority of those diagnosed with gluten intolerance are suffering from problems caused by GMO wheat some which has been sprayed with Glyphosate.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 09:37:46 AM »
I think so too, cp.  Like people who think that the protein in milk causes cancer, they blame the milk when in fact it is the disease in the milk that is causing human diseases. I would not drink milk even if it were not infected, but most do not understand what it is that is hurting them. Our food has become a vector for the transmission of disease. GMOs, germs, heavy metals, and  chemicals are ubiquitous in our food. Sewer sludge that has been in both organic and regular wheat causes problems. Roundup sprayed on wheat just before harvest is crazy, yet people do not know this. If they had bread made from healthy wheat, I think most who believe they are gluten intolerant would not be.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 09:54:33 AM »
I recently watched a video and the gal was doing the presenting also said recommended staying away from "whole wheat" bread but her reasoning is because of the hybridization. I normally wouldn't think of hybridization being a problem but she seemed to have a good reason but i can't remember it now.

But Celiac's disease seems to be a much more serious problem than i thought it was. Because of damage done to the bowel it's hard for the body to absorb even the good nutrients in the food. I can see where this would get complicated real quick. I feel for these people more than I use to.

Dorine

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 02:33:11 PM »
Jim many years ago I was very anemic. An SDA dr. prescribed black strap molasses and it did the trick. I wonder if your friend could tolerate taking that. I think I took 1 - 2 Tbsp. a day. Just a thought.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 04:36:08 PM »
Thanks again Dorine, I will definitely look into this and pass along the information.

Lena

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 11:45:07 PM »
I agree with Dorine about the blackstrap molasses for anemia.  Also back to celiac disease.  I have a friend who was diagnosed with celiac years ago and ignored it because she didn't want to give up bread.  Her new doctor told her that was not an option anymore.  She is doing very well now on a totally gluten free diet.  Gluten free does not mean grain free or fiber free. 

Grains not allowed
Avoid all foods and drinks containing the following: 
Wheat
Barley
Rye
Triticale (a cross between wheat and rye)
Oats (in some cases)
While oats are naturally gluten-free, they may be contaminated during production with wheat, barley or rye.

There is a larger list of grains they can eat.  Gluten isn't in fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts or seeds.  Plenty of fiber there.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/gluten-free-diet/art-20048530

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 09:12:44 AM »
Gluten free has become a popular diet. Why all of a sudden we cannot eat gluten? I think there is a very good reason, and it has nothing to do with gluten itself. Like dairy, it is not the milk or the wheat that is the problem. It is what is in these foods. Milk at one time was a suitable food, but not necessary for good health. What has happened to milk and wheat? The wheat protein,gluten is contaminated as is the milk protein, casein. Milk is often infected with Leukemia Virus, and wheat is often contaminated with glyphosate (Roundup).

It may seem to be impossible, but it is an acceptable practice to spray wheat just before harvest with glyphosate. Not only wheat, but other grains and beans. There is evidence suggesting that this chemical poison injures humans in a number of ways.

It has also come to our attention that sewer sludge is now being used in farming. Sewer sludge is contaminated with toxic heavy metals and other injurious things that can contaminate our food. I know that there were and probably are wheat farmers that have used sewer sludge on the wheat crop. This can account for people having problems with wheat. It is serious. Root crops especially pick up heavy metals and hold on to them.

Marelis

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 09:44:24 AM »
Correct, Br Myers. Even foods sold as organic...who knows what else blows in from other crops or what is in the soil from previous farming.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

colporteur

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 12:07:12 PM »
Do to the high protein etc., I don't think cow's milk was ever really very good for humans. While the Bible speaks of a land flowing with milk and honey it also speaks of killing the fatted calf in the parable. I believe the verse that speaks of the land flowing with milk and honey was not promoting  health so much as indicating prosperity as the people viewed it to be.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.