Author Topic: Canning Food  (Read 17679 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Canning Food
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2009, 06:46:04 PM »
I am not sure how many times you can reuse the lids. I also reuse the mason jar lids. If a lid fails, then I generally freeze of refrigerate that jar.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Vicki

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2009, 06:59:21 PM »
Right. And I was thinking the insides of the lids can't be scratched (would cause rust) or the rims dented (one whack on the counter for a stuck lid) on the PB jars so it's probably not a good idea for me to use those. I'll stick with the masons, and reuse lids (with caution) when neccessary.

Vicki

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2011, 01:40:16 PM »
A neighbor brought over pickling cucumbers. I've been busy this morning digging out canning supplies & making lemon garlic pickles (no vinegar). I'm enjoying the *ping* of sealing canning jars.  It is a satisfying sound!  :) 

Sister Dee

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2011, 03:07:46 PM »
I'm enjoying the *ping* of sealing canning jars.  It is a satisfying sound!  :) 

That's something I've never heard before.  Sounds like fun!   :D

Vicki

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2011, 03:17:19 PM »
I'll teach you! Come on over! Bring the children at apple season and we'll put everyone to work!  ;D

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2011, 02:19:21 PM »
I just heard that "ping" within the last hour!  :)  I was not expecting it, but when I heard it, I smiled.  Yes, it is a wonderful sound!!   I canned some pineapple.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Vicki

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2011, 03:15:53 PM »
 :) Sounds like you found a good sale!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2011, 04:15:46 PM »
Yes....God is Good! He does provide for our needs.

Vicki

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2011, 04:52:48 PM »
You have an amazing garden, but I thought pineapples would be out of the question.  ;)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2011, 04:54:29 PM »
If I remember right, Ed suggested we grow them (indoors).  :)

colporteur

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2011, 06:34:27 AM »
We have been canning green beans, peaches, cherries, and blackberry jam. Someone who works at a cherry farm gave us 300 lbs of cherries this year. After 34 hours straight sorting, washing, pitting and canning with 3 hours of sleep I was happy to be done. Two coolers short of finishing my wife said, "why don't you stop and use the rest as garden fertilizer." My answer was, "are you kidding? Do you know how much these cherries are worth ? Next year we may get no cherries."
 Last year there was a poor crop do to a late freeze and we received none.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2011, 10:42:26 PM »
When the door opens, go through it before it closes.  It is a lot of work, but there are many who will appreciate your labor, cp.

Vicki

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2011, 06:34:26 AM »
Yes, quite an accomplishment, but I don't think the lack of sleep is worth it. In our household we have discovered that when one person doesn't keep to a schedule in sleeping habits it makes it difficult for the rest of the family.

And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. 1 Corinthians 9:25

colporteur

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2011, 09:06:10 AM »
Yes, quite an accomplishment, but I don't think the lack of sleep is worth it. In our household we have discovered that when one person doesn't keep to a schedule in sleeping habits it makes it difficult for the rest of the family.

And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. 1 Corinthians 9:25

I believe an occasional digression to salvage, save, or store up is worthy. Perhaps it depends on the reason and frequency for such things. I know a number of times I expended too much mental energy driving and canvassing over a week's time. I bounced back well and many books were placed as a result. However, I don't think it was the best for me physically. Sometimes we sacrifice for a cause and for our families. Jesus stayed up all night sometimes praying for others when He needed the sleep.

Vicki

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2011, 07:05:09 AM »
I don't think we can compare Jesus staying up all night to pray with canning cherries.

I agree there are reasons to lose sleep. I would include canning if a family depended on it for survival through the winter.

colporteur

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2011, 12:38:20 PM »
I don't think we can compare Jesus staying up all night to pray with canning cherries.

I agree there are reasons to lose sleep. I would include canning if a family depended on it for survival through the winter.

Do we know that this winter we will have access to a grocery store? Probably we will but the day is coming to where do to great destruction in nature, nukes, harassment for SDAs, trucker strikes and quarentined cites we will not be able to go to the stores or else there will not be enough food. Even then, what is the quality and price of food in the store ?  Personally, I would rather lose a night's sleep a couple times a year and have a reserve of produce than to sleep well and then not be able to buy food.

I was not comparing canning with praying. My point is that the rule is to be to bed in good time before midnight. However there are times when in order to save produce there is an exception