Author Topic: Canning Food  (Read 17697 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Canning Food
« on: March 17, 2004, 06:55:00 AM »
Most people are not blessed to be able to grow food year round. Most who have gardens produce more than they need in the growing season. If only we could save some for winter use. We can!

We need some expert advice in this area for I am not an expert. I like to freeze food, but it is expensive. I just turned off my freezer. It cost too much to run with the increased price of electricity. We also dry food for winter use, but this is also expensive if done by electricity.

Canning is less costly and provides for the preservation of some foods very nicely.  There is a caution. Do not attempt to preserve food in this manner without becoming educated first. Generally speaking from what I know, fruits including tomatoes are relavitely easy and safe to can, but greens are more of a concern. Beginners are advised to restrict their canning at first to fruit.

Soon the fruit will begin to mature and then is the time to consider canning for the winter months when prices are quite high.

What does canning do to preserve food? Temperature kills the living organisms that would produce decay. Then sealing the food in glass jars keeps air away from the food. When the jars are opened and air is allowed in contact with the food, fermentation will begin.

It important to get a vacuum inside the jar. I will let some of our experts explain the process better.   :)

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Canning Food
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 10:33:00 AM »
Very well explained Richard. I don't know if I can call myself an expert, but I have been canning  as long as I have had gardens, and fruit trees, or farms to purchase in season lugs of fruit. (40 years and more)  My words that I write are not my words but they are the experts....
Richard is so right when he said start with fruit.  Fruits are high-acid foods and simple to process in a boiling-water bath.  Even first time canners are successful.  Imagine the reward of displaying colorful jars of fruit you have canned for your family to enjoy.

I will explain step by step very simple instructions.

HOW TO CAN FRUIT
1. Organize for canning.
2. Examine empty jars and purchase and use ONLY new lids. Purchase jars in thrift stores or garage sales.
3. Discard any jars that are cracked or chipped.
4. Wash canning jars in hot soapy water and rinse in hot water.
5. Place clean jars in a large pot of very hot water, until they are needed.  

CHOOSE, WASH AND PREPARE FRUIT.
1. Fruit should be of uniform size and ripeness. Do not can overripe fruits.
2. Pick at the peak of freshness. Handle it gently. Prepare whole, halves, or slices.
3. Process it as soon as possible.
Some fruits need to be covered with liquid to prevent darkness.
4. Pack and close jars: following directions of each food, pack food in jars raw.
5. To COLD PACK, pack the raw fruit tightly in hot jars. Sugar is NOT essential for safe preservation of fruit.(Praise the Lord)
6. Pour boiling juice over the fruit to cover. I use the same fruit blended as juice
7. HOT PACK is recommended when you are to cook the fruit first.  It will shrink so more can be packed in a jar.
8. HEADSPACE IS THE SPACE THAT MUST BE LEFT AT THE TOP OF THE JAR, BETWEEN THE FOOD OR LIQUID AND THE LID. This space allows for expansion and boiling during processing.
Headspace:
   1/4 inch jams, syrups, juices.
   1/2 inch most fruits and vegies.
   1 in. pressure canned vegetables
9. Liquid should cover food in jars. Food not covered will not spoil but may darken.
10. Wipe top of jar before putting on lids. Food dropings may prevent airtight seal
11. Fill and close one jar at a time.
12. In the canner fill 1/2 full of hot water, keeping it hot as each jar is put in canner on the rack.
13. Use a water bath to process fruits, tomatoes, sweet spreads, sauces, juices.
14. Cover the canner and begin to process fruits.
15. When process time is finished, use a jar lifter and set on a rack or towels.
16.  Enjoy your Gift from God....

[This message has been edited by Ele Holmes (edited 03-17-2004).]

I do not understand ICQ, cookies, UBB, HTML, homepage???

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Canning Food
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 11:03:00 AM »
My first canning recipe:

MANGO JUICE (SAME AS PEACH OR PEAR JUICE)

Peel and seed fruit.  Place in blender and blend. Heat, just to boiling, pour into hot jars and follow canning instructions.... What a blessing. I sure wish I could send you all a quart of Mango Nectar. I will send anyone that wants a bag of dried mangos this season....

If you need more sweetener for the pear or peache juice, add concentrated pure white grape juice.  

Remember to read all labels on any food you buy. including concentrated juices.
No sugar needed.  Wonderful on pancakes, waffles, for smoothies

[This message has been edited by Ele Holmes (edited 03-21-2004).]

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Canning Food
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 08:20:00 AM »
Every year I can a few jars of tropical fruit.  This recipe is the same, but with the fruit you can get out in the country, or from your fruit trees.

CHUNKY FRUIT SALAD

3 lbs. peaches
3 lbs. pears
1 medium pineapple
5 cups orange-pineapple juice or
 white grape juice
Antioxident solution (see below)

Wash 6 pints, or 3 quart jars in hot soapy water. Keep hot until needed. Prepare lids as directed on box.

Wash peaches, and immerse 4 or 5 at a time in boiling water for 30 seconds.  Plunge into cold water, slip off skins. Cut peaches in half, discard pits. cut in lengthwise and crosswise.  Immerse in antioxident solution

Peel pears, cut in halves, remove cores,   Cut in one inch cubes. Immerse in solution.

Use a sharp knife to cut a slice off top and bottom of pineapple. Stand pineapple top-side up.  Slicing from top to bottom, cut off shell.  Use a paring knife to remove eyes.  Standing up cut in half, and then again in half. Cut out core. Cut wedges into 1/2-3/4 inch pieces.

In a 4 quart sauce pan, bring orange-pineapple juice to a boil over medium heat; keep hot. Add half of the pineapple pieces; return to a boil. Simmer 2 minutes. Remove half the peaches and pears from solution  rinse in fresh water.  Use a slotted spoon to lower peaches and pears into boiling juice with pineapple. Return to boil, reduce heat to low, Cover, simmer 1 minute, Use a slotted spoon to lift fruit from juice.  Pack equal amounts of peaches, pears, and pineapple into 1 hot jar at a time, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.  Add hot orange-pineapple juice. Release trapped air, by putting a butter knife to the bottom of jar, making sure it fills with juice. Wipe rim of jar with a clean damp cloth. Attach lid, place in canner, Fill and close remaining jars, heating fruit as above.  Process in a boiling-water bath.  pints 20 minutes, quarts 25 minutes.
Enjoy in the cold winter months.

Use this recipe to make a gelatin salad  with Emes or agar agar.

ANTIOXIDENT SOLUTION
Ascorbic-acid solution or vitamin C crystals may be purchased in any drug store, or health food store.  Dissolve 4 teaspoons crystals in 1 gallon water. Immerse fruit in this solution as it is cut.    

[This message has been edited by Ele Holmes (edited 03-18-2004).]

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Canning Food
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 10:17:00 AM »
HONEY-MELON BALLS

2 meduim cantaloupes (about 3 lb each)
1 medium pineapple
1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
1 cup honey
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut

Wash 4 jars in hot soapy water; Keep hot till needed. Prepare lids as manufacturer directs.  Cut cantaloupe in half. remove seeds.  Use a melon baller to cut contaloupe into ball, making 8 cups. Cut pineapple using above recipe instructions....  In a 4 quart pot, combine juice, honey and lemon juice.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Add melon balls and pineapple pieces.  Simmer 2 minutes.  Remove from heat. Sprinkle about 1/4 cup coconut among hot melon balls and pineapple as they are packed into l hot jar at a time, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.  Add honey syrup to cover. Release trapped air.  Wipe top of jar with a clean damp cloth.  Attach lid.  Place in canner.  Fill and close remaining jars.  Process in a boiling-water bath.  Process pints for 20 minutes.

Serving suggestion:  Pour syrup from jar into a small saucepan. Stir in 1 Tbls. cornstarch.  Stir over medium heat until thickened.  Add pineapple and melon balls, and heat.  Serve on waffles, tofu cheescake, pancakes, fruit salad.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Canning Food
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 08:02:00 AM »
TOMATOES  are one of the easiest fruits to can. Most varieties can well.

Choose firm-ripe, red-orange tomatoes that are not quite ready for eating fresh.

Preparation: Wash pint or quart jars in hot soapy water.  In a large pot bring 8 cups of water to a boil, keep hot.  Wash tomatoes in cold water.  Immerse in boiling water 30 seconds.  Remore immerse in cold water. Slip off skins, cut out core; trim away bad spots. Cut in halves or quarters.

COLD PACK:  Pack tomatoes into 1 hot jar one at a time, pressing with a spoon till juices begin to flow.  Leavw 1/2 inch headspace.  I add about 1 Tbls. lemon juice to each quart.  Add 1 tsp. salt if desired to each jar. Release trapped air.  Wipe rim of jar.  Place in canner. Fill and close remaining jars.

Process in boiling-water bath, pints 35 minutes, Quarts 45 minutes.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Canning Food
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 04:19:00 AM »
Making delicious nut butters with your Champion Juicer is not complete without that wonderful jam to go with it.

Now you can buy Pectin for canning fruit Jams and Jellies without sugar.  Buy 2 or 3 boxes of NO SUGAR Fruit Jell Pectin made by Ball.  It has complete easy instructions in each box.  Follow instrutions carefully. You will not be disappointed. I have made jams for years, but only without the sugar.

Again, buying fruit in season is not expensive, and makes the best jams.

Using 1 cup of unsweetened pineapple or white grape juice for each batch of Jam:
Cherry Jam  (3 lbs.) makes 4 cups
Peach Jam  (4 lbs.) makes 5 cups
Strawberry  (2 qts. makes 6 cups
Processing time takes only 10 minutes.

You can purchase 8 oz. jelly jars in any grocery store or at garage sales. Then you will only need to buy the lids.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Canning Food
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 06:42:00 AM »
During the hot times of the year it is so nice to open the refrigerator and bring out a  bottle of cold canned juice.

In the winter when there is not much fresh fruit, it is also wonderful to drink some of your grown fruit juices which is so simple to make.  Even if you do not have the trees, go in the country and buy a lug of peaches or pears.  Wash them good, take out the seeds, throw them in the blender, add  a little water, boil the juice, boil the jars, fill them and process them.  It is that simple.

It is mango season again and I have been canning mango puree.  What a treat on waffles and pancakes.

WendyForsyth

• http://
Canning Food
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 07:47:00 PM »
Ele,if you are still offering the mangoes I could sure use them. It would be a real blessing during a very difficult time,and I'm sure a real treat.

Thank you for all the lovely directions. I have a gazillion canning jars I got for free. Now I know what to do with them. Could you give instructions on how to can meals in the quart jars please?

Thanks,
Wendy

I have no doubt that God considers you to be one of His friends; otherwise He would not trust you with so many crosses, sufferings and humiliations. Crosses are God's means of drawing souls closer to Himself.

Fenelon

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Canning Food
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 06:56:00 PM »
Wendy, I have been thinking  and praying for you.   Did I understand you right in one of your posts that you are having big problems again.  (I will email you)

I have been canning tomatoes, mango puree,  mango jam without sugar.  Yes, I will send you some dried mangos.  My trees  are loaded this year, but  believe it or not, the weather is so humid, and the sun does not come out till later in the day, and my two dehydrators were broke, but my son finally fixed one.  I will try it Sunday.

On canning, Go to the beginning of that Forum and you will see how to can the easy fruits and vegies.  Let me know what you want to can and I will tell you how.  I also will send you much info on the subject.  I have many books. God be with you.  

WendyForsyth

Canning Food
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2004, 03:37:00 PM »
I have been blessed with a perfectly lovely, enormous, grape vine that is loaded. I hear they are some form of wine grapes, but they are lovely to eat. A really neat combination of sweet and sour. Yum! Ele, could you tell what to do with these lovely grapes before they are wasted?

God bless,
Wendy

I have no doubt that God considers you to be one of His friends; otherwise He would not trust you with so many crosses, sufferings and humiliations. Crosses are God's means of drawing souls closer to Himself.

Fenelon

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Canning Food
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2004, 07:05:00 PM »
Wendy
I just spent over an hour posting ideas for you. and because of changing my  password.... It did not come through and I lost it.   Wendy  I will do it again.

WendyForsyth

Canning Food
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2004, 10:36:00 PM »
You poor thing! I'm so sorry! Everyone says to write up your text in Word and then copy it, but I never do. I've lost stuff this way too. I'm sorry for your lost time. :( By the way, on a more chipper note, how are the mangos coming? They sound heavenly!

God bless and get some rest,
Wendy

Fenelon

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Canning Food
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 07:30:00 AM »
Dear Wendy, "My cup runneth over" with mangos this year.   I have a least twice as many as last year, at least fifty on each tree and I have about 15 to 20 trees but, I have not been able to dry them like I use to because I sold my wolf range that has a pilot lit in the oven after I set the mangos in the sun all day.  The sun this year is full of humidity and is not drying well.  My two dehydrators are broke.... I do have some though that I will send you.  When I get to the states I will also send you  sugarless jam, and pure mango puree, which is wonderful on pancakes, and waffles. I am also freezing most.

Now for your grapes.  There are many ways to preserve them.  Go to my posts and read how to can, in this forum.

1. Can the Grapes whole: RAW PACK: Wash and stem seedless grapes.  Pack tightly, but be careful not to crush.  Add boiling grape juice  (use your same grapes as juice, or use  frozen white unsweetened grape juice for a sweeter flavor), leaving 1/2 inch of space at the top.

2. Grape Juice:  Place grapes in a pot and cover them with boiling water. Heat slowly to simmer and continue to simmer until fruit is very soft.  Strain through jelly bag or several thicknesses of cheescloth.  If you want clear grape juice, refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours and then strain once more.  Heat to a simmer and add honey to taste, if desired.  Freeze, OR pour hot juice into sterilized jars, leaving a 1/4 inch headspace. Process pints and quarts in a hot-water bath for 30 minutes.

3. Grape Butter (Better than jelly)
    1 gallon grapes  
    4 tablespoons water
Put grapes in kettle with water.  Heat and mash the grapes.  continue cooking as the mixture thickens, stirring  frequently.  When thicker, put through a fruit press and remove skins and seeds.  Return to heat and cook until thick.  If you want it sweeter add honey just before canning.
When thick, pack in hot, sterilized jars,leaving a 1/2 inch headspace.  Adjust seals and process pints and quarts for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath.

4. Grape Jelly:  In the markets today they have a pectin  for Jams and Jellies  that you do not have to add sugar to your jelly.  I used it for my mango jam and it works great with no sugar.  Get it and read instructions carefully.

You should receive your canning pamphlet by now, and it will give you more instructions.  God Bless.  If you need any thing, just ask.  I wish you lived close I would help you get started.  It is so well worth it.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Canning Food
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 08:51:00 AM »
We just froze a bunch of corn for the winter. It is so wonderful to able to eat corn in the middle of winter that tastes just like it came off the cobb.  :)
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

WendyForsyth

Canning Food
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2004, 05:41:00 PM »
Thank you Ele! I appreciate your time and effort! I wish you were here too. I could use some help. Yikes! So much to do, so little energy. :( I wish I would finish detoxing so I could feel better.

God bless and hugs,
Wendy

Fenelon

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Canning Food
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2004, 07:47:00 PM »
JimB,   There is nothing better than  frozen vegies or fruit when you can't get the fresh.  Take the children and go pick berries on the road side.  Go out to the country, at the fruit and vegie stands.... Many will sell you lugs of peaches, or pears,  apples cheaper when you buy in bulk.  I use to read the newspaper and people with orchards will advertise lugs of ----- much cheaper than in the stores. It is easier to freeze especially vegies.  So you will have them all year. Do you have a garden?  

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Canning Food
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2004, 09:43:00 AM »
Sister Ele, no we don't have a garden. We bought the corn from a local farmer. We will be canning applesauce later. Applesauce is one of my favorites from childhood. Freezing corn and canning fruit is a lot of work. But you're always so glad you did it later on.  :)
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Canning Food
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 10:05:51 AM »
Cp has been canning more than fruit!  We need some expert advice for canning other than fruit and tomatoes. Where is the danger and what do we do to keep our canning safe?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

Re: Canning Food
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 01:44:35 PM »
I am not an expert but know a little about it. Pretty much all veggies should be canned in a pressure cooker to be safe. This is especially true with corn and sweet potatoes. Cucumbers would be one exception I suppose do to the salt and acid when making pickles. The greatest factors in terms of safety is pressure cooking for the recommended amount of time and pressure. 10 lbs. of pressure is generally what most cooking is done at. Once the  pressure reaches 10 lbs set a timer. Just like with canning fruit a good seal is important. If the level of liquid is unusually low in the jar that may be a sign there was a problem sealing. Sometimes a jar will seal but it is not a very tight seal and the seal will break later and the food will spoil. That is usually apparent later by the appearance or odor. Otherwise few other things factor in the same as canning fruit, such as how full the jar is filled. Most veggies should be blanched first anywhere from 2-5 minutes depending on the veggie. That's not so much for safety as proper cooking should wipe out everything that will cause spoilage. The blanching will give better food quality. Pressure cooking is safe with a little common sense and it is faster. Pressure canning is not necessary with fruit and and jams and will tend to turn  many fruits to mush. Tomatoes can be processed either way.
     I better get back to my potatoes.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.