Author Topic: Is Our Food Safe?  (Read 75132 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Is Our Food Safe?
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2004, 12:08:00 PM »
I began this topic by saying that many of us rely upon government agencies to insure the food supply is safe. Is that trust misplaced?

Yes, I believe so. The high incidence of cancer, I believe is largely a result of poor government policy in policing the food industry.

Here is an article that will support my view: UPI News

The USDA apparently has been falsifying export certificates for many years.

[This message has been edited by Richard Myers (edited 04-26-2004).]

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

WendyForsyth

• http://
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2004, 12:38:00 PM »
Not surprising. Here is the corrected link.

UPI News

I have no doubt that God considers you to be one of His friends; otherwise He would not trust you with so many crosses, sufferings and humiliations. Crosses are God's means of drawing souls closer to Himself.

Fenelon

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2004, 09:02:00 AM »
South Korea does not want U.S. beef, but are being told that it is safe.   Yonhap News
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2004, 09:11:00 PM »
We often hear that only cows who exhibit symptoms of Mad Cow Disease need to be tested. Denmark has just found another "mad cow". It is interesting to note that there were no symtoms of mad cow before the animal died. Daily Mail

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2004, 08:03:00 AM »
A commentary regarding the present situation with BSE (Mad Cow Disease).

Don't trust USDA about mad cow

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER EDITORIAL BOARD

Amid concerns about beef's safety, the U.S. Department of Agriculture has consistently sent a clear message: Trust us. We've got mad cow disease under control.

The assurances warrant a heavy dose of caution from U.S. consumers, as well as officials in Japan and elsewhere who are being urged to resume importing American beef. Panic isn't in order, by any means. But anyone who wants to believe the government has a firm basis for its public assurances should pay attention to what happened last week.

Seattle Post

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2004, 08:36:00 AM »
The attitude of those charged with food safety in the U.S. gives good reason to have great concern. Here is a "report card" on how the government is doing with the Mad Cow problem in the U.S. Center for Food Safety

[This message has been edited by Richard Myers (edited 06-27-2004).]

Brent

• Brent's Place
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2004, 05:43:00 PM »
What do you think about genetically modified foods being hazardous to our health?

Or about the claims in the Safe Shopper's Bible by government scientist Samuel Epstein that most health and beauty products contain hazardous chemicals?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0020820852/002-3858141-2716002?v=glance

------------------
I invite everyone to use my website as a witnessing tool. http://brent.f2g.net/

I invite everyone to use my website as a witnessing tool. <A HREF="http://brentsplace.info/">brentsplace.info</A>

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2004, 05:25:00 AM »
Combining plants and animals is an example of how far out science has gotten. It is a problem. Thanks, Brother Brent for the post.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2004, 05:31:00 AM »
There are those who are working hard to convice us that all is well, just as in England before people started dying. Professor Busboom is one such individual. He says "As an animal scientist who has followed this issue and recognizes the near-zero risk that BSE poses in the U.S., it is troubling to consider all of the money and energy being diverted toward BSE instead of diseases that pose real risks..." And of course he is an "expert". You may read his opinion at the Seattle Times.

One day Mr. Busboom's words will come back to haunt him....and many others who trusted in his "expert" knowledge.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2004, 06:58:00 PM »
There is concern in the U.S. Congress that the U.S.D.A in not doing a good job in protecting the public's health regarding food. Henry Waxman, the ranking minority member of the House Committee on Government Reform has sent a letter to the head of the USDA expressing concern that they have not been honest in their duties. "The public depends on the USDA to protect the safety of the food supply and to provide honest assessments of problems when they do arise. My concern is that the Department has not met either of these obligations."

U.S. Congress

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2004, 09:18:00 PM »
The Japanese government, which has been considering exempting beef from cattle aged 20 months or younger from tests for bovine spongiform encephalopathy, will not accept the U.S. proposal, insisting that it is unscientific, officials said. Yomiuri

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2004, 03:06:00 PM »
At times "unsafe" food gets into the food chain and is recalled. When I say "unsafe" I mean that all agree it is unsafe. An example would be when the first U.S. confirmed "mad cow" was found. The meat was recalled, but did all of those who had purchased the meat find out in time to trash it? No. Even stores with those privacy invading cards that keep track of their customer's purchases  and know who purchased the recalled beef did not notify these individuals that the meat they purchased came from lots identified as "mad cow" recall meat.

If that were the end of the story it would be bad enough, but what if states and the federal government entered into secrecy agreements where the names of stores and restaraunts could not be released? So, then the life destroying meat that did not get picked up in a recall, but was sold to customers would be eaten even though the store, or state, or federal government could have warned the customer that they may have purchased the disease laden meat.

You say this does not happen? Wrong. Read this press release dated October 1, 2004.

"Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (R-CA) vetoed a bill yesterday that would have let Californians know whether they’ve purchased contaminated meat or poultry. The bill, SB 1585, would have ended a secrecy agreement between the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and California that prevents the state from disclosing the names and locations of stores that receive shipments of recalled meat.

“Consumers have a right to know if they purchased recalled meat or poultry,” said Ken Kelly, Staff Attorney at the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI). “Why force families to roll the dice when they put food on the table? Governor Schwarzenegger prefers a get-sick-first, ask-questions-later policy.”

Center for Science in the Public Interest

When the state and businesses hide this important information from the public we know that we cannot rely upon the intergrity of the state or busness to protect the safety of our food.

Bill Wennell

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2004, 07:30:00 AM »
Again, for those who do not know, I am a Seventh-day Adventist and I am also a Meat & Poultry Inspector for the US Department of Agriculture. There were a lot of threads being discussed here and maybe too many to be satisfactorily answered but the bottom line is: No! You cannot trust the government to protect you! The USDA is business run but public protective. It wears two hats, one as public protector and the other as a stimulator of US agriculture commodities. Guess which one wins when there is trouble? I have never tested a cow for madcow in my 12 years working for the USDA, nor have ever seen one done. And these precautions don't stop with madcow. Did you know that arsenic is legally allowed in chicken? Did you know that the public does not have to be notified where contaminated meat is being sold in event of a recall (only generalities like which state)?

I only became an Adventist about six years ago and I would still be eating meat if I did not know the ramifications of what Satan is doing here on earth. As Adventists, we have been warned. We disregard the health message at the peril not only of our health but our salvation.

Many people misunderstand what the Bible means when it says that it is not what a man eats or that salvation is not a matter of eating or drinking. These verses aren't talking about the action of eating as much as the intent of the heart. Salvation is not about eating or drinking, but if you are not eating and drinking according to the Bible when you know what is right, your heart is not right with God. You're not damned because you ate pork (etc.) but because you knew better but did it anyway. (Does that make sense?) It is the intent of the heart, even if the intent seems honest. "I only did it because..." but you knew better. My point is that we are not to worry about getting madcow through various means when we are doing what we can NOT to get it, like abstaining from meat and processed foods that may have "natural flavors". It is God's job to protect us from byproducts or allow them to infect us if it serves His purpose. If I get vCJD (human madcow disease) as a vegan meat inspector, do you think it may draw attention to how bad this disease is? So if God allows me to get infected for His purpose, so be it. But DON'T presume that He will protect you while you continue to eat at Burger King to satisfy lustful appetite.

I for one am not scared of this disease personally but I fear for the world at what is happening. The USDA is doing a terribly lousy job of reassuring the US public that there is nothing to be worried about. The only reason it is working is because the majority of the public doesn't care. When madcow broke in the US a year ago there was not a significant decline in meat consumption in the US while the rest of the world was boycotting our under-inspected meat. Talk about blindness! How many Adventists does this include? I posted a (partial) list in the forum on "Natural Flavors" of products that contain animal products that most people would never suspect. Did you know Grapefruit juice has ground beetles in it? Quite a lot of cheese is made using pork products (including Kraft singles) and Macaroni & Cheese (a favorite at Adventist potlucks)! God won't protect us from willful ignorance!

------------------
Bill Wennell
BiblicalTruths2000@Juno.com

Bill Wennell<BR>Medical-missionary Brazil<BR>BiblicalTruths2000@Juno.com

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2004, 07:51:00 AM »
Bill, the fact that you work for the USDA and are a SDA that has accepted the health message puts you (I believe) in a unique circumstance and God has a special plan for you. I also have really appreciated your contributions here at TRO. They are definitely eye opening and it is good to hear from someone who has an "inside" track. They have personally made me more careful.

However, I do not see how drinking Grapefruit juice can be labeled as "willful ignorance". It is one thing to be shown that when eating meat you're taking a risk and then turn around and eat it anyway. It is another thing to have no idea that there are beetles in grapefruit juice and drink it.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Bill Wennell

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2004, 10:17:00 AM »
Brother Jim - You are correct and I did not wish for the two ideas to seem blended. The facts on the grapefruit juice was to show how the government is not interested in your health nor in real truth in labeling. Also the harsh statements on "willful ignorance" were not meant at anyone in particular but a general rebuke at "us" within Adventism that in any way choose to decieve ourselves into thinking certain claims in the Bible are not meant for us. I still ask God to continue to show me where I am still trying to decieve myself as I know my heart is wicked and not to be trusted. It is while keeping this in mind that we are to help our brothers and sisters in Christ that we see doing the same in these areas! Thanks for the corrections!  :)

------------------
Bill Wennell

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2004, 10:43:00 AM »
Brother Bill, I hope you do not think that I was trying to correct you. I just didn't see the correlation in what you were saying. As it turns out I just didn't completely understand what you were trying to say. Miscommunication is easy even when talking face to face. I was just trying to understand what you were saying better.

One other thing about meat eating in general. Adventists who eat clean meant for whatever reason are not eating clean meat all by definition because there is blood still in the flesh and I'm sure that nearest fastfood joint doesn't serve kosher meat.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2004, 10:55:00 AM »
Brother Bill points out an important and interesting fact. The U.S.D.A is the agency that promotes U.S. agriculture. Like other similar governmental agencies, the experts come from within the industry being regulated. It only makes sense. The difficulty arises when selfishness (that is natural to man) sets safety behind personal interests. Too often this is the case.

Not all involved act from selfish motives. Like our Brother Bill there are those who regard the health and safety of the public a vital trust. We live at the end of time and too many trust in the world to provide for their well being when it is Jesus that is the One to whom we all should look.

He has sent a message to the world regarding our food. In large measure this message has been rejected. Few today understand that there is no such thing as "clean" meat or "clean" milk. God loves us and our children and has warned us that the animals are sick and there is no safety in eating any food that contains animal products.

Because of the desire on the part of large businesses to sell their products, they do not declare all that is contained therein. It is prudent to inquire as to what is in the food you intend to eat. There is no safety in blind trust in those who are not converted and walking in the light we have been given.

[This message has been edited by Richard Myers (edited 12-01-2004).]

Bill Wennell

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2004, 11:41:00 AM »
Thank you Brother Richard, I have to admit that it is strange working for an agency that doesn't do what it is supposed to. I try to uphold what regulations there are and hope that I find a "real" job soon.  :)

Brother JimB, don't feel bad when you correct someone! If I write something that is not clear, I want someone to bring it to my attention. It is not a rebuke, just a clarification. By the way, I have to eat crow (which is also unclean). Last week we picked up a Tropicana Blends 100% juice of Strawberry-Orange and last night I had a glass for the first time. This morning as I was reading the ingredients, guess what was in it? Cochineal - ground beetles! The rest went down the drain. If anyone is keeping notes - add this product to it. By the way, it is only when the color red is needed - the grapefruit juice is the "Ruby Red" product and the one I had was strawberry (red). Why they do this I will never know. Bottoms up!

------------------
Bill Wennell

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2005, 05:17:00 PM »
 Statement by Ron DeHaven, Administrator, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service--USDA

January 3, 2005

"Yesterday, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) confirmed that an older dairy cow from Alberta, Canada, has tested positive for bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE). The infected animal was born in 1996, prior to the implementation of Canada's 1997 feed ban. No part of the animal entered the human food or animal feed systems.

"USDA remains confident that the animal and public health measures that Canada has in place, including the removal of specified risk material (SRMs) from the human food chain, a ruminant-to-ruminant feed ban, a national surveillance program and import restrictions, combined with existing U.S. domestic safeguards and the additional safeguards announced as part of USDA's BSE minimal-risk rule announced Dec. 29 provide the utmost protections to U.S. consumers and livestock.

'The extensive risk assessment conducted as part of USDA's rulemaking process took into careful consideration the possibility that Canada could experience additional cases of BSE.

"According to the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) guidelines, a country may be considered a BSE minimal-risk country if it has less than 2 cases per million cattle over 24 months of age during each of the previous 4 consecutive years. Considering Canada has roughly 5.5 million cattle over 24 months of age, under OIE guidelines, they could detect up to 11 cases of BSE in this population and still be considered a minimal-risk country, as long as their risk mitigation measures and other preventative measures were effective.

"USDA will continue to work closely with CFIA officials as their investigation into this situation progresses."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2005, 07:51:00 AM »
With the danger posed to the public when there is an outbreak of disease in animals slaughtered for food, will it be safer to notify the public or to keep the concern a secret? The State of Iowa is reveiwing a request to keep such things secret.

Iowa State agriculture officials want to be allowed to keep secret certain records dealing with the control of livestock diseases such as mad cow disease. Key lawmakers are unsure whether they want to take that step.

Desmoines Register