Author Topic: Is Our Food Safe?  (Read 75141 times)

stephen

Re: Is Our Food Safe?
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2008, 11:24:57 PM »
Amen.
Zep 1:11 Howl, ye inhabitants of Maktesh, for all the merchant people are cut down; all they that bear silver are cut off.

Zep 1:12 And it shall come to pass at that time, [that] I will search Jerusalem with candles, and punish the men that are settled on their lees: that say in

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2008, 09:57:36 PM »
Do we still believe our food is safe because it is under government inspection? Here is something I missed a few years ago. I don't suppose things have changed. If you are still eating pig, then you may want to reconsider.
USFDA
May 4, 2004

Media Inquiries: 301-827-6242
Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA

Statement on Texas Cow With Central Nervous System Symptoms

On Friday, April 30 th , the Food and Drug Administration learned that a cow with central nervous system symptoms had been killed and shipped to a processor for rendering into animal protein for use in animal feed.

FDA, which is responsible for the safety of animal feed, immediately began an investigation. On Friday and throughout the weekend, FDA investigators inspected the slaughterhouse, the rendering facility, the farm where the animal came from, and the processor that initially received the cow from the slaughterhouse.

FDA's investigation showed that the animal in question had already been rendered into "meat and bone meal" (a type of protein animal feed). Over the weekend FDA was able to track down all the implicated material. That material is being held by the firm, which is cooperating fully with FDA.

Cattle with central nervous system symptoms are of particular interest because cattle with bovine spongiform encephalopathy or BSE, also known as "mad cow disease," can exhibit such symptoms. In this case, there is no way now to test for BSE. But even if the cow had BSE, FDA's animal feed rule would prohibit the feeding of its rendered protein to other ruminant animals (e.g., cows, goats, sheep, bison).

FDA is sending a letter to the firm summarizing its findings and informing the firm that FDA will not object to use of this material in swine feed only. If it is not used in swine feed, this material will be destroyed. Pigs have been shown not to be susceptible to BSE. If the firm agrees to use the material for swine feed only, FDA will track the material all the way through the supply chain from the processor to the farm to ensure that the feed is properly monitored and used only as feed for pigs.

To protect the U.S. against BSE, FDA works to keep certain mammalian protein out of animal feed for cattle and other ruminant animals. FDA established its animal feed rule in 1997 after the BSE epidemic in the U.K. showed that the disease spreads by feeding infected ruminant protein to cattle.

Under the current regulation, the material from this Texas cow is not allowed in feed for cattle or other ruminant animals. FDA's action specifying that the material go only into swine feed means also that it will not be fed to poultry.

FDA is committed to protecting the U.S. from BSE and collaborates closely with the U.S. Department of Agriculture on all BSE issues. The animal feed rule provides crucial protection against the spread of BSE, but it is only one of several such firewalls. FDA will soon be improving the animal feed rule, to make this strong system even stronger.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2008, 09:34:01 AM »
This is a little technical, but I think that it good that some of our readers get involved in this subject. This ought to be of concern to each church member and every person living on this planet, at least if they have children they are responsible for.

Prion diseases are characterized by a long incubation period. In scrapie, sheep may incubate and spread the infection for several years before clinical signs evolve. We have previously studied the occurrence of subclincal infection in the brain. Now, we have studied the occurrence of subclinical infection in the brain and several lymphoid tissues in two scrapie-affected Icelandic sheep flocks by immunohistochemistry for PrPSc, a molecular marker for infectivity, and correlated this with results of PrP genotyping. At culling, one flock had one confirmed scrapie case, while the other flock had two. Analysis of 106 asymptomatic sheep by immunostaining for PrPSc revealed that the incidence of subclinical infection was 58.3% in one flock and 42.5% in the other. PrPSc was only detected in lymphoid tissues. The youngest positive sheep were 4 months old. PrP genotyping showed that over 90% of the sheep were of a genotype which is moderately sensitive to infection and may delay neuroinvasion. Our results show that asymptomatic sheep may spread the infection during the long incubation period of several years, which constitutes an important obstacle in the eradication of scrapie. Our findings indicate that contamination of the environment plays an important part in sustaining the infection.  source

What does this mean to the health of our children?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2008, 12:52:41 PM »
A Chicago-based company is recalling beef products distributed in 11 states because of possible E. coli contamination, federal officials say.  source

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2009, 08:30:31 PM »
The Government has ignored warnings that antibiotics fed to chickens pose a major risk to human health. Government reports obtained by the Sunday Star-Times reveal that as far back as 1999, an expert panel warned that antibiotics used in the poultry industry were breeding superbugs resistant to human medicine. The 1999 report warned drugs used to prevent disease in chickens could create resistance to front-line human medication crucial for treating respiratory infections such as pneumonia, sexually transmitted diseases and the hospital superbug MRSA  source

Esther 7

• http://
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2010, 06:36:42 PM »
Has anyone heard about Hexane in veggie food?

Immanuel

• Senior Moderator
  • Jesus is My Judge
    • Emmanuel Institute of Evangelism
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2010, 07:25:49 AM »
Study shows link between pesticides and ADHD. Source.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2010, 06:38:08 PM »
The number of deaths from food is under reported. But, it is estimated by the CDC that of the deaths related to food-borne illnesses most come from just a few germs. Five pathogens account for over 90% of estimated food-related deaths: Salmonella (31%), Listeria (28%), Toxoplasma (21%), Norwalk-like viruses (7%), Campylobacter (5%), and E. coli O157:H7 (3%).  CDC

Vicki

« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2010, 07:06:28 PM »
A librarian suggested I read The Omnivore's Delimna, The Secrets Behind What You Eat, by Michael Pollan. It's an interesting, disturbingly interesting, book. The introduction alone has me contemplating the wisdom of ever eating a Russet potato from Idaho again.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2010, 07:33:24 PM »
What we don't know won't hurt us....... or will it? Tell us about the Russet potato.

Vicki

« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2010, 06:02:24 AM »
A good book report doesn't give all the information but leaves the audience wanting more info so they will go read the book. - Mrs. Quinn, 5th grade.  :)

The farm written about was 15,000 acres, divided into 135 acre crop circles. They are watered, fertilized and sprayed with pesticide from an irrigation system that rotates from the middle of the circle, and controlled from a computer. One of the pesticides used is called Monitor which is so toxic to the nervous system that no one is allowed into the field for 5 days after it is sprayed - even if the irrigation system breaks and the crop might die. When the potatoes are harvested they must be stored for 6 months so this pesticide can dissipate and the potatoes can be eaten.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2010, 06:40:10 AM »
Why do not we hear about this toxic pesticide?  Remember Alar?  It seems the media has not done a very good job if this author is correct in his assessment. It may be that he did this research on the one day of the year he was using marijuana.

Let's look into this chemical pesticide.

Vicki

« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2010, 06:43:00 AM »
No. I don't remember Alar.....tell more.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2010, 07:36:04 AM »
Alar was a chemical, first marketed in 1968, that apple growers sprayed on trees to make their apples ripen longer before falling off. In use, however, Alar breaks down to a byproduct called "unsymmetrical dimethyl hydrazine" or UDMH. The first study showing that UDMH can cause cancer was published in 1973. Further studies published in 1977 and 1978 confirmed that Alar and UDMH caused tumors in laboratory animals.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency opened an investigation of Alar's hazards in 1980, but shelved the investigation after a closed meeting with Alar's manufacturer, the Uniroyal Chemical Company. In 1984, the EPA re-opened its investigation, concluding in 1985 that both Alar and UDMH were probable human carcinogens. Under pressure from Uniroyal, however, the EPA allowed Alar to stay on the market. Its use continued, even after tests by the National Food Processors Association and Gerber Baby Foods repeatedly detected Alar in samples of apple sauce and apple juice, including formulations for infants.

Consumers Union and environmental groups such as the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) saw Alar as an example of a regulatory system that was not functioning properly. If Alar were a new chemical being considered for approval, it would not have been allowed on the market, but since it was already in use, getting it withdrawn ended up taking nearly a decade.

By 1989, the states of Massachusetts and New York had banned the chemical, and the American Academy of Pediatrics was urging a similar ban at the federal level. "Risk estimates based on the best available information at this time raise serious concern about the safety of continued, long-term exposure," stated an EPA letter to apple growers which estimated that 50 out of every million adults who ate apples on a regular basis would get cancer from long-term exposure to Alar -- in other words, 50 times the human health hazard considered "acceptable" by EPA standards. The danger to children, the letter warned, was even greater. Aside from these urgings, however, federal agencies continued to avoid regulatory action.
  source

Since then, industry has gone to great lengths to say that this was an example of "Chicken Little environmentalism", with headlines such as "Enviros Accused of Inciting Paranoia," "The Century of Science Scares," "The 60 Minutes Health Hoax," and "Pseudoscientific Hooey the Scare Tactic of Choice Nowadays." Thanks in large part to ACSH's efforts with journalists, the word Alar has become a near-universal shorthand for an irrational health scare stemming from "junk science."

When I hear "Alar", I remember how people rose up in response to the media stories and refused to buy apples. The growers quickly had to back down and they ceased using Alar.

Industry is too lax in regards to the safety of our food. And, the government has in many cases allowed the fox to guard the hen-house. It seems that maybe industry has succeeded in quieting the media?

Vicki

« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2010, 07:51:01 AM »

methamidophos (Monitor)

Personal - WHO recommends that for the health and welfare of workers and the general population, the handling and application of methamidophos should be entrusted only to competently supervised and well-trained applicators who must follow adequate safety measures and use the chemical according to good application practices. Regularly exposed workers should receive appropriate monitoring and health evaluations. (IPCS. 1993).

Protection - Protective clothing as indicated in the FAO Guidelines for Personal Protection when Working with Pesticides in Tropical Climates (FAO, 1990) is required; a respirator should also be worn by mixers and when spraying tall crops. The use of flaggers should be avoided; if used, they require full protective clothing, including a respirator. All equipment and protective clothing should be washed thoroughly after use; clothing should be laundered separately from family clothing.

Unprotected workers should be kept out of treated areas for 48 hours. (FAO, 1990)

Application - The manufacture, formulation, agricultural use and disposal of methamidophos should be carefully managed to minimize contamination of the environment. To minimize risks for all individuals, a 48-hour interval between spraying and re-entry into any sprayed area is recommended. Pre-harvest intervals have been set in many countries. These intervals vary from 3 to 90 days (most falling within 14-21 days), depending on the crop, harvesting technique and the country.

In view of the high toxicity of methamidophos, this agent should not be considered in hand-applied ULV spraying practices. (IPCS, 1993; FAO, 1995)

Mode of action - Methamidophos affects the nervous system by inhibiting acetylcholinesterase, an enzyme essential for normal nerve impulse transmission.

Uptake - Methamidophos can be absorbed following ingestion, inhalation and skin contact.

Indonesia, Kuwait, Sri Lanka, Samoa have either banned or severly restricted use because of environmental & human health hazards.

source

Another site confirms a 14 day pre-harvest interval. I found no mention of having to store potatoes for 6 months. This is upsetting to me. Someone I know is often telling me conspiratorial things to which I reply, Just because it's in a book doesn't mean it's true.  Same goes for recommended library books. It's not something I would choose to have been used on my potatoes, but it seems the author has exagerated according to what I have found this morning.  :( I do believe I will find time to write the author to see if he can substantiate his sources.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2010, 08:12:03 AM »
I took a quick look and could not find much.  It is a dangerous chemical for those who handle it. If applied by airplane, the drift would be hazardous to homes in the area. It is one of many such chemicals being used to produce our food. Many in the world make much about chemicals and then refuse to see the danger from eating animal products. :(   

We must be concerned about what industry is doing. They are not trustworthy, nor the government. China has a poor record and we ought not be eating food produced in China. And, government has made it impossible to tell where products are coming from.

You are quite a ways ahead of many, dear sister! Your garden, while a lot of work, is producing healthy food for your family! The days are here where those who have practiced economy and caution, will be richly rewarded. My heirloom tomatoes are just now producing!  The late summer and the deer took a toll. We are now learning what to do. Those who are not, will be quite hungry when they try to learn and eat at the same time. :(

Vicki

« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2010, 08:39:25 AM »
Yes, it is always better to grow our own - then we know what is and is not on/in them. Enjoy your heirlooms! They do take longer to ripen than the others I grew but are worth the wait.  It's good not to have every tomato plant ripen at the same time - prolongs our enjoyment.  :) God's blessings are even in the details of when our food ripens.  :)  It was mentioned in a recent garden seminar to make sure there is adequate space between varieties so they do not cross for seed to use the next year. The speaker planted a delicious heirloom next to a store bought that wasn't so good. He saved the heirloom seeds and got an awful tasting tomato the next year. I'm not saving seeds this year & will try again next growing season - planting things farther apart.

I e-mailed the author this morning. There was a note that he does not respond to every letter.

Won Bae

« Reply #117 on: December 26, 2010, 11:58:11 AM »
What do you eat daily?
Mrs. White's writing suggests no meat.  Not only meat she lists other things such as chesse, this means no pizza, and no "Hay Stack" then lists condiments so there should be not ketchup or mustard which many SDAs use with the Big Franks.  Then she also said no pickles.  No vege and fruit at the same meal!
One must be aware  all kinds of chemicals going into the analog meat such as Wham, Scalopes and all other LL food or Worthington food.
I do have problem eating out for my lunch.  There isn't any vege restaurants around here.  Most of time I end up each pasts without sprinle of cheese.
It gets to be trouble some.  Any suggestions?

Won

colporteur

« Reply #118 on: December 26, 2010, 01:10:35 PM »
What do you eat daily?
Mrs. White's writing suggests no meat.  Not only meat she lists other things such as chesse, this means no pizza, and no "Hay Stack" then lists condiments so there should be not ketchup or mustard which many SDAs use with the Big Franks.  Then she also said no pickles.  No vege and fruit at the same meal!
One must be aware  all kinds of chemicals going into the analog meat such as Wham, Scalopes and all other LL food or Worthington food.
I do have problem eating out for my lunch.  There isn't any vege restaurants around here.  Most of time I end up each pasts without sprinle of cheese.
It gets to be trouble some.  Any suggestions?

Won

Won are you a good cook? If not it is not hard to do. You can eat all the things you refer to. There is not much that you can eat out on and be safe. That includes the bread. We had haystacks this Sabbath with home made cheese, olives, tomatoes, lettuce, onion, vinegar free salsa, brown rice and beans. We ate till our hearts content.
    We eat home made pizza with most of the same ingredients as well as wheat flour and sweet red pepper diced. For breakfast we have whole grain cereal and fruit or pancakes or french toast. We use coconut or nut milk of some kind. Sometimes we make hashbrowns and tofu. The children love it.

Often for lunch we have a chef salad with an array of lettuces, red cabbage, tomatoes, avocado, sweet peppers, carrot, cilantro, curly or italian parsley and a delicious home made salad dressing. Rarely do we eat a meal without something raw and often 50% raw. If it isn't a sald it is carrot and celery sticks, avocado, and or nuts.

I'm getting hungry and am about to partake of Italian spaghetti with home made dairy free parmesan and a tomato sauce with bulger burger and sauteed onion and garlic. Also a good salad and garlic bread made with flaxseed oil and garlic salt spinkled on toast. Canned garden green beans tops it off.  Bye bye !
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

colporteur

« Reply #119 on: December 26, 2010, 01:47:06 PM »
Won;

If where you work you have access to a plug in and you invest in a cooler with an ice pack or two and you can have almost anythiing you wish for lunch. A small crock pot full of whatever you cooked the night before and a salad fit for a king and you are all set.

Another inexpensive asset is a small toaster oven. You can make toast, warm up a baked potato or a slice or two of your own tailor made pizza.

We don't need analogs although there are a couple that are fairly healthy though they are not sold at the ABC.

It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.