Health > Healthful Living

Is Our Food Safe?

(1/33) > >>

Richard Myers:
Can the public rely upon government agencies to protect them from unsafe food? Here is a situation that reveals the truth."Federal agriculture officials did not test any commercial cattle for mad cow disease through the first seven months of 2003 in Washington state -- where the first U.S. case of the disease was detected last month -- according to records obtained by United Press International."The slaughter house where the "mad cow" was found is being reported as being known for slaughtering older and injured dairy cows, which are considered the cattle most at risk of developing mad cow disease. The need for a high protein diet for  milk production has motivated many to feed their cows animal products, sometimes from cows or sheep.The "mad cow" was detected in Canada in May and even then there was according to this report no testing of commercial cows in the State of Washington for BSE in the months of May, June, and July. Washington is on the border with Canada and many cattle cross between the two states.Those who continue to eat animal products do so in the face of great evidence that there is no safety in doing so. The evidence of the great harm done to dairy cows is now coming to light. They suffer under the wickeness of man. The government has allowed much to continue that will prove a curse to those who trust in the arm of flesh. UPI Exclusive Story  

Richard Myers:
Today, I read the statement of a worker at the slaughter house where the first US mad cow was found. He said "The USDA had told the world that the mad cow had been slaughtered here, but it was not in the food chain. A blatant lie. It was one of many." The worker said the cow was not a downer, but was in with a lot of downers. It was an old cow. He said the meat was sold as human food. The head, tail, tongue, liver and kidney were in the human food chain locally.

Ele Holmes:
Oh Yuk Richard....  That makes me sick.  I wonder how much of the U.S beef is shipped down here to Mexico?  My cooking class has only 8 to 10 who are interested in vegetarianism.... out of 3 churches. I know many eat meat....pray for our people here, I guess in all the world too.  We must teach them health and how to eat healthy without meat and animal products.

Richard Myers:
The United States is revising it's regulations regarding BSE after the confirmation of the "mad cow" found in Washington. Notice what is being done and that it was not done when it should have been done. Notice also what is had been fed to cattle. "In addition, along with banning blood and blood products from cattle feed, McClelland said the FDA will ban the use of poultry litter as a cattle feed ingredient. Poultry litter consists of bedding, spilled feed, feathers, and fecal matter collected from poultry confinement areas. The material has been used in cattle feed in some areas of the country where cattle and large poultry raising operations are located near each other." We reap what we sow. UPI

Richard Myers:
The purpose of this topic is to call into question the suitability of relying upon the government when it comes to the safety of our food. Many of us consider that government inspection assures the safety of what we eat. I don't believe we can turn our eyes away from reality. The government has not done a good job of protecting our food supply. Animals are diseased and the government allows them and their milk and eggs to be sold as food for human consumption.Here is another pointed problem that the government has allowed to continue despite the significant risk posed to the food supply.In the meat industry "splitters" use band saws to split carcasses down the middle. This cleaves the spinal column from neck to tail. Then water washes the fat and bone dust off the saw. The slurry, with spinal cord in it, runs all over the meat.The USDA has assured the public that none of the "mad cow" entered the food chain. Then it assured the public that none of the meat that entered the food chain from the mad cow was dangerous because it was not brain or spinal cord which is the most infectious part of the animal. The current practice of splitting the carcass does not protect the public from an already accepted dangerous material, the spinal cord and it's fluids. "Bucky Gwartney, director of research for the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, confirmed that most American slaughterhouses do the same." NY Times

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version