Author Topic: Is Our Food Safe?  (Read 75139 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Is Our Food Safe?
« on: January 16, 2004, 10:40:00 AM »
Can the public rely upon government agencies to protect them from unsafe food? Here is a situation that reveals the truth.

"Federal agriculture officials did not test any commercial cattle for mad cow disease through the first seven months of 2003 in Washington state -- where the first U.S. case of the disease was detected last month -- according to records obtained by United Press International."

The slaughter house where the "mad cow" was found is being reported as being known for slaughtering older and injured dairy cows, which are considered the cattle most at risk of developing mad cow disease. The need for a high protein diet for  milk production has motivated many to feed their cows animal products, sometimes from cows or sheep.

The "mad cow" was detected in Canada in May and even then there was according to this report no testing of commercial cows in the State of Washington for BSE in the months of May, June, and July. Washington is on the border with Canada and many cattle cross between the two states.

Those who continue to eat animal products do so in the face of great evidence that there is no safety in doing so. The evidence of the great harm done to dairy cows is now coming to light. They suffer under the wickeness of man. The government has allowed much to continue that will prove a curse to those who trust in the arm of flesh.

UPI Exclusive Story  

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Is Our Food Safe?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 11:17:00 AM »
Today, I read the statement of a worker at the slaughter house where the first US mad cow was found. He said "The USDA had told the world that the mad cow had been slaughtered here, but it was not in the food chain. A blatant lie. It was one of many."

The worker said the cow was not a downer, but was in with a lot of downers. It was an old cow. He said the meat was sold as human food. The head, tail, tongue, liver and kidney were in the human food chain locally.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 05:11:00 PM »
Oh Yuk Richard....  That makes me sick.  I wonder how much of the U.S beef is shipped down here to Mexico?  My cooking class has only 8 to 10 who are interested in vegetarianism.... out of 3 churches. I know many eat meat....pray for our people here, I guess in all the world too.  We must teach them health and how to eat healthy without meat and animal products.
I do not understand ICQ, cookies, UBB, HTML, homepage???

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 12:43:00 PM »
The United States is revising it's regulations regarding BSE after the confirmation of the "mad cow" found in Washington. Notice what is being done and that it was not done when it should have been done. Notice also what is had been fed to cattle. "In addition, along with banning blood and blood products from cattle feed, McClelland said the FDA will ban the use of poultry litter as a cattle feed ingredient. Poultry litter consists of bedding, spilled feed, feathers, and fecal matter collected from poultry confinement areas. The material has been used in cattle feed in some areas of the country where cattle and large poultry raising operations are located near each other." We reap what we sow.

UPI

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 09:30:00 AM »
The purpose of this topic is to call into question the suitability of relying upon the government when it comes to the safety of our food. Many of us consider that government inspection assures the safety of what we eat. I don't believe we can turn our eyes away from reality. The government has not done a good job of protecting our food supply. Animals are diseased and the government allows them and their milk and eggs to be sold as food for human consumption.

Here is another pointed problem that the government has allowed to continue despite the significant risk posed to the food supply.

In the meat industry "splitters" use band saws to split carcasses down the middle. This cleaves the spinal column from neck to tail. Then water washes the fat and bone dust off the saw. The slurry, with spinal cord in it, runs all over the meat.

The USDA has assured the public that none of the "mad cow" entered the food chain. Then it assured the public that none of the meat that entered the food chain from the mad cow was dangerous because it was not brain or spinal cord which is the most infectious part of the animal.

The current practice of splitting the carcass does not protect the public from an already accepted dangerous material, the spinal cord and it's fluids. "Bucky Gwartney, director of research for the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, confirmed that most American slaughterhouses do the same."

NY Times

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 05:23:00 PM »
The cattle industy is a 20+ billion dollar industry. Does it have influence with elected officials? Of course it does. Take a look at industry objections to today's expert panel suggestion to ban poultry in cattle feed. Remember as you read that mad cows find their way into chicken feed. It is not illegal to feed downer cows to chickens. I recall reading about a very upset cattle rancher in England who did not know his cattle feed contained chicken that had been fed mad cows. The objection to the panel's suggestion is an example of the irresponsibility in the industry.

Reuters

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 05:56:00 AM »
Any thoughts about the Texas Agriculture Commissioner Susan Combs going to Mexico to discuss that nation's water debt and encourage the country to reopen its market to American cattle and beef products?

Seems that Mexico's food safety may be in question after her trip. Calling Mexico's Debt

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 08:48:00 AM »
 Mercury affects brains of adolescents
Study of high-seafood diet points to poison's long-lasting impact.
6 February 2004
HELEN PEARSON

Faroe Islanders are virtually unique in their whale-rich diet.
© SPL

Eating seafood that contains mercury can affect the brain development of children in their adolescence, according to a study of people in the Faroe Islands.-------------

The group previously found that the children, when 7 years of age, had a slower transmission of electrical signals along a particular circuit in their brain than normal. Now that the children are 14 years old, after a continued diet of fish and whale meat, the researchers find that this disruption is even worse1. They also found evidence that mercury exposure is linked to subtle difficulties in controlling blood pressure2.
The findings suggest that any harm done by mercury before birth or in early childhood was not repaired as the children grew up. And continued mercury exposure may continue to affect the brains of teenagers, says team leader Philippe Grandjean of Harvard School of Public Health in Boston, Massachusetts.
At the moment, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) advises pregnant women, nursing mothers and young children to avoid eating shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tilefish, in order to keep mercury intakes low. But Grandjean suggests that safety messages about mercury should highlight the toxin's potential impact on older children as well.
=====================
Read the whole article at:  http://www.nature.com/nsu/040202/040202-16.html

With Christian Love,
Marie

Sister Marie

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 08:51:00 AM »
Organic food contaminated with GM
Many so-called organic foods contain genetically modified soya.
6 February 2004
JIM GILES

Over 60% of processed foods contain soya extracts.
© Digital Vision

A wide range of 'organic' food products on sale in the United Kingdom contain genetically modified (GM) ingredients, according to a study due to be published in April1. The revelation has prompted organisations that certify food as organic and GM-free, such as the Soil Association, to hurriedly review their procedures.

Transgenic soya was found in ten of 25 organic or health food products tested by Mark Partridge and Denis Murphy, biotechnology researchers at the University of Glamorgan in Pontypridd, Wales. Eight of the ten were labelled either as 'organic', which should indicate the absence of transgenic ingredients under Soil Association rules, or explicitly as 'GM-free'.

The study, which confirms previous tests by national food standards agencies in Ireland and the UK, implies that a wide range of foodstuffs probably contain traces of GM material.

Damaged credibility................
================================
Read the Whole Article at: http://www.nature.com/nsu/040202/040202-15.html

[This message has been edited by Sister Glass (edited 02-10-2004).]

With Christian Love,
Marie

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 05:35:00 AM »
Quite a few years ago I was attending a Rotary luncheon when the local UC farm advisor, sitting next to me brought up the subject of organic farmers and the danger posed by sewer sludge being used as fertilizer. He shared with me that root crops such as potatoes and carrots take up the heavy metals from the sludge and then destroy the livers of those who eat the crops.

That was a clear warning to me to take great care in what I put into my gardern soil. With the knowledge of infectious agents in animal products including manure it makes good sense  to not use manure as fertilizer. What is the greatest risk that I can see today? Prion contamination. I do not know of any evidence that it is a problem or could be, but common sense indicates that caution is warranted.

Prions (BSE, Scrapie) that destroy brain tissue in animals and humans are not destroyed by the heat that is generated in compost piles. It may be that they are destroyed by other activity, but until this is shown there is enough concern to warrant using other fertilizers. I have pointed out in previous posts that compost from cow manure may transmit the very dangerous form of e.coli bacteria.

Sister Marie

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 06:57:00 AM »
Mad Cow Proteins, or Prions, Found in Nasal Passages
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/02/20/MN81735.DTL

Prions get wired
http://www.nature.com/nsu/030210/030210-21.html

Could mad cow disease have been discovered sooner?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/madcow/hindsight.html
==========================

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2004, 07:45:00 AM »
A recent survey found that most consumers would pay more for meat if each cow was tested for mad cow disease. Upper cost for the test is said to be 10 cents per pound. Why won't the industry test each cow? What would they find and what would that do to the meat and milk industry?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 10:36:00 AM »
Japan won't buy American beef until each cow is tested for BSE. They say the risk is too great. Guardian Story

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2004, 09:13:00 AM »
In a letter sent to U.S. Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman late last week, the governor of Oregon accuses the U.S.D.A. of repeatedly failing to provide state officials with information crucial
to maintaining consumer confidence.

Oregon Live

Liane H

• http://
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2004, 09:25:00 PM »
Hi:

From what I know the only way one can test for BSE is the animal would have to be killed. There is no other way.

So in order to do this, if I understand the process is that the meat would have to be put in storage and the brain taken to a lab for testing and then only upon a negative finding could the rest of the cow be used and sent for food and anything else that is done with the remaining parts.

Does this sound correct to any of you?

Liane

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

WendyForsyth

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2004, 12:15:00 AM »
I had understood that there was a blood test that could be used on live cattle.
I have no doubt that God considers you to be one of His friends; otherwise He would not trust you with so many crosses, sufferings and humiliations. Crosses are God's means of drawing souls closer to Himself.

Fenelon

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2004, 07:04:00 AM »
There is a quick test that is used in Europe. The problem is not the cost or the time, but the reality that more BSE will be found and that is where the great cost will be to the meat and dairy industry.

The true cost is not the loss of money, but the disease being transmitted to humans and animals. When the truth comes out we shall find out that people have been contracting prion disease for many years from eating animal products.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2004, 07:52:00 AM »
Hundreds of dead cows have been found piled in huge holes at dairies in southern New Mexico. The local people in New Mexico are concerned about the danger posed by the dead cows. There is a concern as to why so many cows have been killed and are being disposed of in such a way. Have they been tested for BSE? New Mexico

WendyForsyth

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2004, 10:31:00 AM »
Cows that have mad cow disease are not supposed to be disposed of in the normal manner, such as burning at normal temperatures. Perhaps these cows either were determined, or supposed to carry or be infected with the prion? I haven't read the article yet, just a quick thought before I forget of a possible reason.

wf

I have no doubt that God considers you to be one of His friends; otherwise He would not trust you with so many crosses, sufferings and humiliations. Crosses are God's means of drawing souls closer to Himself.

Fenelon

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2004, 04:51:00 PM »
While California has a lot in common with Sodom they may be passing legislation to test all cattle in the state for BSE (mad cow disease).   TRO Health News