Author Topic: Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease  (Read 55264 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
« on: December 22, 2003, 12:19:00 PM »
Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease is a key to understanding where we are in our attitudes towards our own personal health, both physically and spiritually. The disease will reveal much about our God, our society, and our personal appreciation of truth.

I am providing a link to a site that will give the commonly accepted understanding of the disease. Take a look at the article and see if you can find any difficulties with it. We will be looking at some rather technical ideas, but will try and explain them so all may follow along.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 07:30:00 PM »
In the linked article we find that Mad Cow Disease (BSE) is linked to the vCJD (variant CJD) found in England. Sporadic CJD is world-wide and has no known cause, unlike vCJD. According to the linked article the "variant of CJD in young people in Britain and France are believed to have been caused by eating beef contaminated with bovine spongiform encephalopathy. Since 1998, there have been more than a dozen deaths a year in Britain attributed to the new variant of CJD, according to the Web site for        Britain's CJD Surveillance Unit."

I began doing research on BSE and CJD in 1992 and believe that the attempt to distance sporadic CJD from transmission through animals infected with spongiform diseases such as scrapie in sheep, chronic wasting disease in deer and elk, and B.S.E. in cows will prove to be a large mistake. Today, in the United States we have these many forms of  transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs). It is not commonly understood that these TSEs can cross specie barriers, therefore, few are concerned about the risk of becoming infected through contact by handling or eating the animals infected.

As we continue this topic, we will be examining some of the material that is available in this field.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 10:00:00 AM »
A British scientist, John Collinge, has been looking into the possibility that there is more than one form of BSE (mad cow disease) and that it may have implications regarding CJD, the human form of mad cow.

Injecting mice with BSE-infected material seemed to result in some having vCJD, but others were similar to one of three strains of sporadic CJD.

The recent discovery by Italian scientists that there is more than one form of BSE supports this concern.

"One positive thing is that it challenges two dogmas - that there is only one form of BSE and that sporadic CJD is a uniform process that arises out of the blue and has nothing to do with the environment."

Guardian Story

It is what we have been concerned about from the beginning. We know that animals transmit many of their diseases to man and when we are told that there is a "sporadic" form of CJD that "just happens" out of the blue, we do not believe it. It is just plain common sense to look for the cause and to look very hard at the animals that have a spongiform disease which are being eaten by people.

What animals? Primarily sheep, but not only sheep. Any animal that is known to be infected with a spongiform disease is highly likely to be a vector for transmission of what is being called Sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease. We also believe there may be a connection between these same animals and Alzheimer's Disease.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 05:04:00 PM »
The Italian research that has found a new variation of mad cow disease raises questions about about how people develop the related brain ailment CJD.

The brains of cattle with the new variation look different from cows with the classic BSE. Planetark Story

The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, which published the report, said it raised the question of whether some people may have developed CJD from eating cattle infected with this newly found variation.

Finally we have someone in a responsible position at least questioning the possibility that the most common form of CJD may come from eating infected animals.

WendyForsyth

• http://
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 05:45:00 PM »
On our local news tonight, the owners of the slaughter house where the mad cow was slaughtered came on and basically called the gov't liars. It was amazing. It said that even though the USDA keeps claiming that the cow was a downer, they said it was healthy and up the entire time. They also said that even though the govt has claimed to be doing testing, no testing is being done at their facility or any others that they know of. This is astounding, although not shocking to us, news. I am so proud of these humble farmers for standing up for the truth and admitting that the govt is trying to pull the wool over our eyes. They also showed film footage of a "downer" cow. It was staggering and falling repeatedly. It was totally clear that this cow, which by the way looked completely healthy in all other respects, had mad cow disease! I don't see how anyone could miss it. It showed all the classic signs, yet the govt claims this and other cows are "downed". This should really put the nail in the coffin so to speak.

God bless,
Wendy

I have no doubt that God considers you to be one of His friends; otherwise He would not trust you with so many crosses, sufferings and humiliations. Crosses are God's means of drawing souls closer to Himself.

Fenelon

Suzanne

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 02:25:00 PM »
Death from Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease

This was in the Los Angeles Times, February 3, 2004:

______________, 62, an educational psychologist known as "the kid's detective" who evaluated children for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, died Jan. 9 in Lake Forest of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.

As an expert on hyperactivity, she was frequently consulted by news media about the use of the drug Ritalin or various antidepressants for children. She often determined that a child's problem was not ADHD, but a combination of complex issues that could include learning disabilities or anxiety disorders.

Generally opposed to quick-fix medications for children, she espoused her motto of "solving problems, not labeling children." She was the author of the resource guide and audiotape program ADHD Look-Alikes: Other Reasons Children Flit, Squirm, Distract and Just Space Out."

How sad, our sympathies are with the family.

~Suzanne~

WendyForsyth

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 05:48:00 PM »
I have a sad feeling we'll start seeing many more of these deaths. It seems like people are being more open about it and also I hope people will start realizing the connection between alzheimer's and CJD.

God bless,
Wendy

I have no doubt that God considers you to be one of His friends; otherwise He would not trust you with so many crosses, sufferings and humiliations. Crosses are God's means of drawing souls closer to Himself.

Fenelon

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 11:29:00 AM »
Just thought some might find this article interesting. Experiments Establish "Protein-Only" Nature of Prion Infections
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 08:47:00 PM »
New Jersey has an interesting situation. If confirmed as CJD, the death last week of Ronald Swartz of Denville would be the third case of CJD in a little over a year in a two-county area.

Carrie Mahan, 29, died from a brain disorder that was never identified but physicians initially suspected of being the nation's first case of variant CJD. Her case is being re-opened.
Washington Times Story

WendyForsyth

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 10:15:00 PM »
This might shock you a bit. Be sitting down.

(CBS) Carrie Mahan, 29, died quickly and horribly from a disease that tore holes in her brain.

"I have nightmares every night about it,'' says her mother, Evelyn.

Her doctors diagnosed Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, or CJD, a fatal disorder closely related to the human form of mad cow disease.

"It's horrible, just unbelievable," says her mother. "I said goodbye, but I don't think she heard me."

Doctors were certain her disease did not come from beef, but occurred randomly, so-called sporadic CJD. But, as CBS News Correspondent Wyatt Andrews reports, Carrie Mahan's good friend Janet Skarbek read about another local woman, Carol Olive, who was also diagnosed with CJD.

"And then it says Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease," says Skarbek. "I thought, 'Oh my gosh, I'm going to read farther,' and then it says she worked at the Garden State Racetrack."

And that's when the light bulb went on.

Both Olive and Carrie Mahan worked at the now closed racetrack and ate lunch there every day. When Skarbek found a third CJD victim, broadcaster John Weber, who had a season pass to the track, she dug more and eventually found seven CJD victims in the area. All had some connection to the track. That, she thought, can't be random, so she asked the Centers for Disease Control to investigate.

But, Skarbek says, they weren't interested in it because it was only sporadic CJD.

Skarbek suspected she'd found a disease cluster, but the CDC said no. Even seven deaths was within the norm of one in a million. It was sporadic CJD -- and thus there was no in depth investigation.

By contrast, British authorities track down every report of sporadic CJD: the very system of strict surveillance that led to the discovery of variant CJD, the type that is caused by mad cow.

"We don't know the cause of sporadic CJD so any change in the pattern of the condition would be cause for investigation to see if it may give us clues to the cause," says professor Peter Smith, a CJD investigator.

In the U.S., Dr Pierluigi Gambetti, the top CJD detective, is trying to learn if variant CJD reaches America. He does not think the New Jersey outbreak was mad cow disease, but he only saw tissue from two of the seven possible victims. Why? Only 26 states have to report CJD he says, and there are very few autopsies.

He worries that human mad cow could surface in the U.S. undetected.

"God forbid one of them could be a case of variant CJD - the form that we acquire by eating contaminated beef and we would never know," says Gambetti.

When told that not one case has been found to have a link to mad cow disease, Skarbek says, "Oh, it's easy to say there's not a link when you're not looking."

What Skarbek has truly discovered are the gaps in knowledge about CJD. A disease not always discovered -- and not always investigated -- by a government certain mad cow in humans isn't here.
~~~~
Bron: CBS News, January 15, 2004
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/01/15/eveningnews/main593534.shtml

Fenelon

WendyForsyth

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 10:23:00 PM »
Scientists fear human-to-human mad cow infection

Medical care a possible cause

Sharon Kirkey
CanWest News Service

January 3, 2004

It is too soon to rule out a new wave of mad cow disease in humans, echoing the 1990s British epidemic, but this time transmitted by medical procedures instead of bad meat, one of Canada's top mad cow experts says.

As officials scramble to confirm whether an Alberta farm is the source of the first U.S. case of mad cow disease, Britain continues to investigate the death of a patient who died from the human form of the fatal brain infection after receiving blood from an infected donor.

It could be the first known case of human-to-human transmission of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease through contaminated blood. And it may not be the last.

link

MAD COW BLOOD ALERT

Jan 16 2004

BLOOD products must be treated with care to stop the spread of the human form of mad cow disease, experts said yesterday.

The warning comes after a British man contracted variant CJD from donated blood.

Sheila Bird, of the Medical Research Council, said the public had to be protected, but she warned the measures were likely to be expensive.

link

[This message has been edited by WendyForsyth (edited 03-23-2004).]

Fenelon

WendyForsyth

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 10:31:00 PM »

And many other questions remain, including exactly how much infected tissue it takes to pass on the infection, and why the disease singles out younger people.

"There are theories and ideas," said Paul Brown of the National Institutes of Health (news - web sites). "Presumably, it is because they were exposed to the BSE infectious agent at a young age through inexpensive foods eaten by schoolchildren. But we really cannot make any pronouncements on that." (The meat supplied in schools is often a mixture that includes tissue that is not used in prime meat.)

I think I'm going to be sick.  

Fenelon

WendyForsyth

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2004, 10:35:00 PM »
CJD FAMILIES ASK SCOTS FOR HELP
Jan 5 2004

THE families of American victims of CJD have called on Scots doctors for help. Relatives of Peter Putnam, who died last October aged 35, have sent brain tissue samples to the Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease Surveillance Unit at Edinburgh's Western General Hospital.

It follows the discovery of the first case of mad-cow disease in America last month.

Peter's family were told he died from the rare ''sporadic CJD'', a wasting disease not linked to beef, rather than variant CJD, which is.

Peter's mother Jemie Turnley, of Washington, said: ''We're hoping the British results will tell us more.''

It is thought many more US families will now turn to the Scots scientists.
There are about 300 casesofhuman CJD in America. None have been linked to beef.

Any proven case of cow-to-human infection would have a devastating effect on the £23 million US beef industry.

link

Fenelon

WendyForsyth

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2004, 10:46:00 PM »
The blatant lying of our government in regards to the true status of the disease here in America is criminal. They know that if they were honest about the truth and allowed reporting of it the way other countries are,(other countries know far more about our true status than we do), no one would be eating beef now. So they would rather make money and sacrifice people. It makes me ill.

wf

Fenelon

WendyForsyth

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2004, 11:06:00 PM »
This is a crisis that could get a whole lot worse.
U.S. studies of autopsies are showing that between 3 per cent and 13 per cent of patients found to have Alzheimer's or dementia actually suffered from variant CJD, the human form of mad cow disease.

But no crisis can be resolved if we're not even trying.

jbagnall@thegazette.canwest.com
~~~~
Bron: The Gazette, Canada.com, January 25, 2004
http://www.canada.com/montreal/montrealgazette/story.asp?id=DC873BE3-F9A4-4406-B33B-BF5FEFC73118

The article that this was pulled from is no longer available. I wonder why.

wf

Fenelon

WendyForsyth

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2004, 11:13:00 PM »
I found it!

Mad Cow Disease: Linked to Thousands of CJD cases?
--------------------------------------------------
In the US, the government's monitoring system for cases of
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), a fatal human brain illness, could
be missing tens of thousands of victims, scientists and consumer
advocates have told United Press International. Clusters of CJD have
been reported in various areas of the United States -- Pennsylvania
in 1993, Florida in 1994, Oregon in 1996, New York in 1999-2000, and
Texas in 1996.

People who develop CJD from eating mad-cow-contaminated beef have
been thought to develop a specific form of the disorder called
variant CJD. But new research (see reference at the end of part [1]
above) indicates the mad cow pathogen can cause both sporadic CJD and
the variant form. "Now people are beginning to realize that because
something looks like sporadic CJD they can't necessarily conclude
that it's not linked to (mad cow disease),"
said Laura Manuelidis,
Section Chief of Surgery in the Neuropathology Department at Yale
University, who conducted a 1989 study that found 13 percent of
Alzheimer's patients actually had CJD. Several studies, including the
one by Manuelidis, have found autopsies reveal 3-13 percent of
patients diagnosed with Alzheimer's or dementia actually suffered
from CJD.
Those numbers might sound low, but there are 4 million
Alzheimer's cases and hundreds of thousands of dementia cases in the
United States. A small percentage of those cases could add up to 120
000 or more CJD victims going undetected and not included in official
statistics.

At the same time autopsies have been declining, the number of deaths
attributed to Alzheimer's has increased more than 50-fold since 1979,
going from 857 deaths then to nearly 50 000 in 2000.
Though it is
unlikely that the dramatic increase in Alzheimer's is due entirely to
misdiagnosed CJD cases, it "could explain some of the increase we've
seen," Manuelidis said.

--
Stephen M. Apatow
Director of Research and Development
Humanitarian Resource Institute Biodefense Reference Library
Foreign Animal and Zoonotic Disease Center
<s.m.apatow@humanitarian.net>

Fenelon

WendyForsyth

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2004, 12:15:00 AM »
USDA: No Mad Cow Testing Allowed
11-Mar-2004

Scott Kilman reports in the Wall Street Journal that the USDA will not allow individual meat packers to test their own meat, because it may imply that the beef missed during random testing by the U.S. government is not safe. Consumer Susan Brownawell says, "This is ridiculous. If people want to have their beef tested, they should be able to. Isn't this how the free market works?"
"Private companies should be able to test if they want," says Michael Levine, of Organic Valley. "I think the USDA is just petrified of finding more instances of BSE." Creekstone Farms Premium Beef wanted to build its own Mad Cow testing laboratory, but the USDA warned them they couldn't do any testing without government approval. Creekstone usually ships its beef to Japan, which is now rejecting all untested beef.

There is only one U.S. laboratory that can test for Mad Cow— in Ames, Iowa. Last year, USDA scientists send samples there from only one out of every 1,700 cows. Each test takes several weeks, and there are no tests that work on live cattle. Private laboratories say they can do the same tests in only a few hours.

Vegetarians need to worry too: MSG in Chinese food gives some people headaches, so food processors removed it from prepared foods in the 1970s. But now it's back, except this time it's being sprayed on food while it's growing in the field, in the form of the fertilizer AuxiGro.

Food companies will not be required to label the foods sprayed with AuxiGro, and no study has been done to find out if it will cause a reaction in MSG-sensitive people. Animals will also eat crops sprayed with AuxiGro, giving it another opportunity to get into the human food system.

Fenelon

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2004, 11:56:00 AM »
I have not been keeping us with this daily, but as I recall a rapid test has been approved and the private testing of cows for Japan, I believe has been aproved also. Sister Wendy, you may to do a quick search to verify this.

There is little doubt in my mind that sporadic CJD is related to animals, more than likely sheep, not cows at least in the beginning. Americans have been eating "mad sheep" for years. I am willing to say that Alzheimers is more than likely going to be found to be associated with the eating of diseased sheep and cows also.

Suzanne

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2004, 01:49:00 PM »
Pork and Mad Cow Disease

Many folk are giving up beef because of Mad Cow disease and are turning to pork. Bad choice! (For many reasons). Michael Greger, MD, the chief BSE investigator for Farm Sanctuary and the Mad Cow Coordinator for the Consumers Association, writing in EarthSave News, Winter 2004, points out this:

"Pork is also a potential source of infection. Cattle remains are still boiled down and legally fed to pigs (as well as chickens) in this country. The FDA allows this exemption because no 'naturally occuring' porcine (pig) spongiform encephalopathy has every been found. But American farmers typically kill pigs at just 5 months of age, long before the disease is expected to show symptoms. And, because pigs are packed so tightly together, it would be difficult to spot neurological conditions like spongiform encephalopathies, whose most obvious symptoms are movement and gait disturbances. We do know, however, that pigs are susceptible to the disease--laboratory experiments show that pigs can indeed be infected by Mad Cow brains--and hundreds of thousands of downer pigs, too sick or crippled by injury to even walk arrive at U.S. slaughterhouses every year.

"A number of epidemiological studies have suggested a link between pork consumption and sporadic CJD. Analyzing peoples' diet histories, the development of CJD was associated with eating roast pork, ham, hot dogs, pork chops, smoked pork, and scrapple (a kind of pork pudding made from various hog carcass scraps). The researchers concluded. 'The present study indicated that consumption of pork as well as its processed products (e.g., ham, scrapple) may be considered as risk factors in the development of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.' Compared to people that didn't eat ham, for example those who included ham in their diet seemed 10 times more likely to develop CJD. (American Journal of Epidemiology, Vol. 122, No. 3).

"Sporadic CJD has also been associated with weekly beef consumption, as well as the consumption of roast lamb, veal, venison, brains in general and in North American seafood."

Dr. Greger also points out that the most frequent misdiagnosis of CJD among the elderly is Alzheimer's disease. Neither CJD nor Alzheimer's can be conclusively diagnosed without a brain biopsy and the symptoms and pathology of both diseases overlap. A number of autopsy studies have shown that some Alzheimer's deaths may in fact be CJD.

Dr. Greger continues: Nobel Laureate D. Carleton Gajdusek, the first to be awarded a Nobel Prize in Medicine for his work on prion diseases, estimates that 1% of people showing up in Alzheimer clinics actually have CJD. At Yale, out of a series of 46 patients clinically diagnosed with Alzheimer's, 6 were proven to have CJD at autopsy.

(This article was also published in Well Being Journal, March/April 2004. Ninety seven references are included).

~Suzanne~

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 03-24-2004).]

Suzanne

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2004, 11:53:00 AM »
Mad Cow and Wild Game

Well, it seems as if we can't get away from this one...One SDA brother feels that in order to avoid the dangers of Mad Cow and other negatives factors in eating commercial meat, we should look to wild game. Not a good move! Listen:

By all accounts the feasts that Wayne Waterhouse threw at his cabin overlooking Wisconsin's Brule River were fabulous. During the hunting season every year, Waterhouse would serve the bounty of his most recent catch--heaping dishes of moose, elk and deer. Unfortuneately in 1993 Waterhouse died of Cruetzfelt-Jakob disease, the brain disorder that can be triggered by mad-cow disease, and within 6 years, 2 of his fellow feastgoers had also died of the rare brain disorder. (Adapted from Time, Aug. 12, 2002)

While the authorities conjecture as to whether the game the men ate was responsible for their deaths, others are convinced that it was. Indeed, the mad cow like illness affecting wild game, seems to have jumped the species barrier and is cause for concern by those favoring this type of meat. The fatal disease, which makes animals listless, has been endemic in wild game in Colorado and other states. Particularly troublesome is the fact that the illness is caused by infectiouis agents called prions that are not destroyed by cooking or most other means.

A word to the wise!
~Suzanne~

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 04-06-2004).]