Author Topic: Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease  (Read 55263 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2011, 11:16:20 AM »
The inevitable result of this infectious disease is that we are going to see that many more are infected. Here is a recent development in Sonoma County California. The article was published in May.

Lorraine Collins, a Santa Rosa woman whose husband, Ric, died of CJD in October, has been tracking local deaths and reaching out to families of the afflicted to develop a support network.

“It's the three in the last six months that's driving me nuts,” Collins said. “There's probably a lot more people who have it. And why aren't we getting that information?” source
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2011, 11:47:23 AM »
The article says:

There has not been a major outbreak of mad cow disease in the U.S., where only two infected cows have been found in the past decade, compared to the U.K., where more than 184,500 infected cows were found, according to the CDC.

Richard, why do you suppose Britain has so many more infected cows than the US? Tight import controls or no imports at all?
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2011, 05:52:18 PM »
The UK fed Scrapie sheep to their cows and the infection in the cattle was very very high.  I believe the US has fed prion infected animals and feed to cows also.  There are two possibilities as to why we do not see the high numbers that they had in the UK.  I believe from the research that I have seen that we have one or more different strains of BSE than was found in the UK. CDC 2011  That in turn could create a different form of spongiform disease in humans who eat the diseased cows. It may be that we are missing the disease in humans and therefore are not searching very hard for the disease in cows. The amount of testing being done on cattle in the US is very very low.

"The BSE epizootic in the United Kingdom peaked in January 1993 at almost 1,000 new cases per week. Over the next 17 years, the annual numbers of BSE cases has dropped sharply; 14,562 cases in 1995, 1,443 in 2000, 225 in 2005 and 11 cases in 2010. Cumulatively, through the end of 2010, more than 184,500 cases of BSE had been confirmed in the United Kingdom alone in more than 35,000 herds."

The meat and dairy industry are very powerful and they do not have human safety as a priority. The number of cattle being tested for BSE is not nearly large enough.  I will gather some information and post it.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2011, 10:49:11 PM »
As I recall, there are around 40,000,000 cattle in the US. "The ongoing BSE surveillance program, which will sample approximately 40,000 animals each year..."USDA That was in 2006 and amounts to 1/10 of a percent.

The number of Canadian cows to be found with BSE is 18 to date.  There are more that have not been detected.  Some of those detected were eligible to be imported into the US. The testing level in Canada according to many US cattle owners is too low, thus endangering the US herd. This seems to indicate that there is a possibility that the number of cases of BSE is much greater in the US than we know.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2011, 08:52:51 AM »
This article corroborates it: http://www.rense.com/general39/uswosr.htm

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2011, 09:04:53 AM »
My figures show Canada with a herd of 4,500,000 in 2009. When they reduced their testing for BSE from around 7,000 head per month to between 5 and 6,000 per month, a US cattlemen's group complained saying it was not safe to reduce the level of testing.  That level would be a little over a tenth of a percent of their cattle. The US from my calculations is testing at less than that at a tenth of a percent per month.

Here is what the group stated about the Canadian level of testing: "At this slow rate of testing, even a relatively large BSE problem may remain hidden for many months or years."  source

While the number of US cattle found with BSE has been very low, these US cattlemen have made my point. At that low rate of testing, there could be a "relatively large BSE problem".

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2011, 05:33:07 PM »
I remember reading some where that the age of the cow can also determine if BSE is present. It takes awhile for BSE to register. Slaughter them young enough, and they won't show positive. Then one can claim that the numbers are low.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2011, 11:47:39 PM »
Yes, that is what they do with the cows with Bovine Leukemia. They milk them to a certain age and then slaughter them before they develop tumors.

Here is a most sad and deceptive statement in an article reporting the first case of CJD in Korea. "The most common form is called sCJD, or sporadic CJD, which accounts for nearly 90 percent of all outbreaks and its cause is known to be natural mutation."  It is also interesting that the lady died a year ago and they are just now, a year later reporting it. 

"Korea's Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, announced Tuesday, that a 54-year old woman died of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in November last year.
The incurable and invariably fatal brain disease has a long latent period and creates holes in the brain when an outbreak occurs. Authorities believe the woman contracted the disease during brain surgery in 1987 when she received a transplanted membrane from overseas."
  source

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2011, 05:43:43 AM »
At what point does this become criminal negligence?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2011, 10:45:28 AM »
That would be like asking when will the Wall Street thieves be indicted? Or when will the schools quit teaching that evil is good and good is evil? We are living in those days that we were warned of. "But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be."  Matthew 24:37. We are in that day when Jesus is coming. So, as it was in Noah's day, so it is today. The world was so corrupt that God destroyed every living thing off the face of the earth except what was in the ark and in the waters.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2011, 11:22:34 AM »
You have a point. Justice is thrown in the streets!

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2011, 06:49:19 PM »
This is so true Sybil. "How long will you kill my prophets" etc.... What must God be thinking about it all.
The way the gas is changing price every day or so it makes it so one never knows what it will cost the next day. Our Country is the same way. It is changing laws so smoothly and some or them without our knowing or having a say in them. Someday we will wake up and find our Country, as we know it, (A Land of the Free) gone forever.
With Christian Love,
Marie

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2012, 09:43:41 AM »
A Liberty woman treated at Greenville Memorial Hospital in February may have been exposed to a fatal disease during surgery on her brain, hospital officials confirmed Monday.

Another 10 patients also may have been exposed to Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease through sterilized surgical instruments that were previously used on a patient who was later diagnosed with the disease, officials said, adding the risk of transmission is “extremely low.”The disease can have an incubation period of up to 50 years, but death usually occurs within a year of the onset of symptoms, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It afflicts about one or two people per million a year, but is more common in people 50 and older. There were 352 cases in 2008.

About 85 percent of the time, the cause of CJD is unknown, while it’s hereditary in 5 to 10 percent of cases, NIH reports. Less than 1 percent of cases are acquired through medical procedures, according to NIH.
  source

50 years is a long time to be able to tell us that the risk is extremely low. They do not know how many have been infected. The reason for the extra sterilization is because the prion is highly infective. When one has been operated on who is known to be infected, the instruments ought to be disposes of.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2012, 02:45:52 PM »
50 years is a long time to be able to tell us that the risk is extremely low. They do not know how many have been infected. The reason for the extra sterilization is because the prion is highly infective. When one has been operated on who is known to be infected, the instruments ought to be disposes of.

I agree and would have thought that would have been SOP because it's my understanding that sterilization does not destroy the prion. Am I wrong?
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2012, 09:12:01 PM »
Remember the mining company?  I am trying to match the Spirit of Prophecy with your statement.  :)

Prions can be removed, but it does not happen with standard sterilization methods. So, until one is known to have CJD, all instruments are a risk when they have been in contact with the highly infectious parts of a body. Brain, eyes, spinal column. But, that does not mean that other body parts are free of infection. Since it is such a long latency period, we are only hoping that more have not been infected.  Not a good thing. I have not kept up with the advances in cleaning instruments to protect against CJD.  I think it was a combination of high pressure, high heat, and a chemical to get the job done. I think we may be at the place where this ought to be done to all medical instruments that are re-used.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2012, 11:11:25 PM »
Who's on first?  :P Mining company? Data or minerals?  ;D

Standard Operating Procedure not Spirit of Prophecy.

You two are too much!  :D

Vicki

« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2012, 06:05:49 AM »
 :D  Yesterday I read Jim's SOP comment three times before I understood. Now "the mining company" has completely thrown me for a loop.  Looks like I am in good company, though!  ;D

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2012, 07:55:28 AM »
I try very hard to not abreviate anything because it is so frustrating if one does not know it.  On a  ad I ran on Craigs List, I got a reply asking about something CL.   It really was sad to contemplate my poor tired brain trying to figure out what they wanted to know that I had for sale.  After a day or two, I saw it.  :(  CL  Craigs List.    :(

Vicki, in another post, Sybil had used the words "mining company".   She meant a metal mining company. Jim working with computers, thought she meant a data mining company.  :)

Vicki

« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2012, 09:55:11 AM »
We are all Americans. Just think what would happen if we were to throw a few other nationalities into the mix.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2012, 11:47:55 AM »
After we have done all we can do to avert disease, we then must rely upon God to protect us. He has promised that He will. There appears to be some bad news from what I see in a recent death in the State of Washington, USA.

A brain tissue sample of a deceased 32-year-old Spokane woman is being tested for Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. An autopsy noted that CJD was a potential diagnosis. Many die from CJD, what is of concern with this death is that she worked at Deaconess Hospital as a pharmacy technician for several years and later worked as a dental hygienist.  As I read I was thinking as to why a pharmacy tech would contract the disease. It did not seem like a high risk, then I got to the "dental hygienist" in the statement. I fear that this may be a vector for the transmission of spongiform disease. And, if Alzheimer's proves to be related to CJD, then there is a risk that Alzheimer's patients can infect others through medical instruments also. It is already a concern that dental instruments may not be free from infectious material when working on CJD patients. The sterilization methods are not always satisfactory. If Alzheimer's is related to spongiform diseases, then we are dealing with a huge population that are already infected and receiving medical and dental treatment. 

Different strains of spongiform diseases have different lengths of incubation periods. The good news is that if there is a connection between the dental work and the disease, it would have been a fairly short incubation time. Which would indicate that the risk is fairly low since we are not getting a lot of similar reports.