Author Topic: Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease  (Read 55260 times)

Bill Wennell

Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
Hello everybody,

It sure has been a while. I am enjoying NOT being a USDA meat inspector anymore but I still get requests to preach the message and am glad I can reference back here for information I had forgotten.

Recently I was researching for some information and thought I should post this here. It is concerning why more vCJD deaths are NOT being reported in the US. Pay close attention to the last 2 paragraphs.

http://www.consumersunion.org/food/harvardcpi301.htm

Bill Wennell
laurelbrookboysdean@yahoo.com

Bill Wennell<BR>Medical-missionary Brazil<BR>BiblicalTruths2000@Juno.com

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Wennell:
Hello everybody,

It sure has been a while. I am enjoying NOT being a USDA meat inspector anymore but I still get requests to preach the message and am glad I can reference back here for information I had forgotten.

Brother Wenell, so good to see you again. It is amazing because just earlier this week I was thinking of you but didn't have a good email address anymore.

Looks like you've switched careers.  :)

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
Good to have you back with us, Brother Bill! Life must be a little easier not having to deal with the deceptions at USDA. On the other hand changing jobs is not easy.  You are in our prayers. Stay in touch.

The meat industry is very powerful and the neglect to keep Americans safe is directly tied to this fact. CJD does not just spontaneously appear. It is caused, and the most likely cause is from eating diseased animals or their products.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
Good to see you back again brother Bill.

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
"Memory and behavioural problems reversed in mice infected with prions that cause a disease similar to human vCJD

Problems with memory and social behaviours can be reversed in mice infected with prions that cause an illness similar to vCJD in humans.

Diseases, such as vCJD in humans, BSE in cattle or Scrapie in sheep, are caused by a build up of abnormally shaped versions of proteins called prions in the brain.

Scientists led by Dr Giovanna Mallucci at the Medical Research Council's Prion Unit have shown that stopping production of naturally occurring prions in the mice reverses the effects of the disease on brain function. The study is published in the journal Neuron. The scientists say the work demonstrates that targeting natural prions could bring hope for early intervention in people with prion diseases. But they warn that any therapies will rely on being able to diagnose prion diseases before the brain is permanently damaged."

An ounce of prevention is worth more than a hundred pounds of cure. Animal products are producing disease in man.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
It is being reported that three people in northeast Indiana may have died in the last six months from CJD.  source

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2009, 09:15:24 AM »
Just a brief review of this subject.  CJD is the human form of mad cow disease.  There are different types of CJD. One is the variant which is said to have caused the deaths from eating Mad Cows in England. Another more common form of CJD is Sporadic CJD. It has no known cause and is said to manifest itself "sporadically".

Well, common sense will tell us there is a cause. Common sense will also tell us that there is a very good chance that it is infectious as are other forms for transmissible spongiform disease.

Here is an article that reveals some changes apparently taking place with sporadic CJD that ought to cause concern that this deadly disease is coming from the food supply, not just random chance.

Published Date:
20 May 2009

A TWENTY-TWO-YEAR-OLD Bilsthorpe man has died from a suspected case of the incurable Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD) — better known as 'mad cow' disease.
Andrew 'Rew' Hawker died at King's Mill Hospital on 7th May after being struck down by pneumonia while he fought the degenerative neurological disorder. He was given just months to live when he was diagnosed with the brain disease in October last year.

Health experts have told his family Andrew suffered from the more common sporadic form of CJD which usually affects 45-75 year olds, but the family think tests will eventually reveal he died from variant CJD — linked to eating BSE infected meat.

CJD FACTS

Sporadic CJD: The most common form of CJD, causing fifty to sixty deaths per year in the United Kingdom. It usually affects people middle-aged and older (45-75) but has affected people in their teens and early 20. Although it the cause is unclear, this form is not thought to be linked to infected food.

Variant CJD: The form of the disease linked to BSE (mad cow disease) in cattle, and introduced to humans through infected meat. It affects younger people than the sporadic form, with the average onset age being 27.

Genentic CJD: A very rare illness caused by an inherited abnormal gene.

Latrogenic CJD: This is where CJD accidentally transmitted during the course of medical or surgical procedures.

source

colporteur

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2009, 06:55:03 PM »
Question.  I have read that there are many people that die of CJD when they have been misdiagnosed (intentionally or otherwise) with Alzheimer's.
It was my understanding that Alzheimers has very different symptoms where a person just fades over the years maybe 7-8 years and ends up more or less a vegetable, While CJD  involves fits of sorts, thus the name Mad Cow. Is the human form of this more tame and have similar symptoms to Alzheimers?
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2009, 07:50:04 PM »
The only accurate method to tell if they had alzheimer's or CJD is through autopsy. And hospitals and doctors are very reluctant to perform such autopsies because of possible infection. Since the infectious prion cannot be destroyed, if the results of the autopsy are positive for CJD, then everything used in the autopsy must be destroyed and buried forever. I can't find the information right now, but some years ago some autopsies were done on patients who had been diagnosed with alzheimer's and about 13 percent of them had CJD. The symptoms must be very similar, at least in some types of CJD.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Larry Lyons

« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2009, 08:53:27 PM »
Tirza, awhile back when I still worked in psych emergency, I talked to a woman who had just finished a fellowship in Neurology. In the course of a conversation about forms of dementia, I stated exactly what you posted; that the only way to diagnose Alzheimers was by autopsy. She told me that a neurologist can now diagnose Alzheimers dementia from other forms of dementia by clinical exam. I assume that would consist of taking a history from the patient and the patient's family and testing and interviews with the patient. They also now have some pretty sophisticated non invasive brain scans but I don't know if that would help with a diagnosis.

It seems that most lay people now days mistakenly call any kind of mental deterioration Alzheimers. Actually there are a lot of different possible causes for  deterioration in mental functioning.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2009, 12:56:43 PM »
In the linked article we find that Mad Cow Disease (BSE) is linked to the vCJD (variant CJD) found in England. Sporadic CJD is world-wide and has no known cause, unlike vCJD. According to the linked article the "variant of CJD in young people in Britain and France are believed to have been caused by eating beef contaminated with bovine spongiform encephalopathy. Since 1998, there have been more than a dozen deaths a year in Britain attributed to the new variant of CJD, according to the Web site for        Britain's CJD Surveillance Unit." <P>I began doing research on BSE and CJD in 1992 and believe that the attempt to distance sporadic CJD from transmission through animals infected with spongiform diseases such as scrapie in sheep, chronic wasting disease in deer and elk, and B.S.E. in cows will prove to be a large mistake.

Well....the really nice thing about being a Christian is that we know that sooner or later the truth will be seen. God waits patiently for over 6,000 years for all to see who He is and who Satan is. Some are still blind to their characters.

My concern about sporadic CJD is now supported by the world of science. source Scroll to the bottom of the page and play video clip.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2009, 03:16:27 PM »
That is a very disturbing video. That we could know more and don't, because of government's lack of concern, is even more troubling. The connection seems sure. Thank you for the link, Richard.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2009, 05:51:54 PM »
The government has outside interests to consider. Often it is the wolf that guards the hen-house. If all of the s-CJD is from animals, then someone has a large problem on their hands. And, when it is seen that Alzheimers too, is from animals, then there will be a dramatic loss to a particular industry, maybe two.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2009, 07:14:59 PM »
Huge losses - entire industries! Woe unto them!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2009, 09:54:47 AM »
There is a hidden epidemic in the world. It is gradually coming to light. The Mad Cow Disease crisis in England was thought to be over. World wide around 200 people died from exposure to Mad Cows, it is taught. But, I believe it is only the tip of a very large iceberg.

This week we have new evidence of the larger problem I have been pointing towards. My main concern has been sporadic CJD which I believe is related to spongiform disease in animals and Alzheimer's which I believe enough evidence exists to suggest a relationship between it and spongiform disease in either sheep or cattle. A new case of CJD is pointing to more vCJD that has not yet come to light. It is thought that there may be a longer incubation period for a group a vCJD individuals such as the one who died in January of this year.

A Case Report published in this week's The Lancet, written by Professor John Collinge, MRC Prion Unit and National Prion Clinic, UCL Institute of Neurology and National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London, reports the particular genetic make-up of a 30-year old man who has died of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD). The case report suggests that there could be other people with the condition who at the moment have no symptoms.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2009, 06:33:41 PM »
What is the thought on its latency? Were some ranges given or is that even possible at this point?

[edited later:]

I found an answer: Researchers think variant CJD can now stay dormant for more than 50 years.

The scientists believe the time between infection with bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), so-called mad cow disease, and developing vCJD could be more than 50 years. They warned that recent estimates of the size of the vCJD epidemic could be "substantial underestimations".

This has horrendous implications.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2009, 07:03:35 PM »
Yes, it does. This particular case has to do with genotype in the victim. All other vCJD cases shared the same genotype, but was different from his. So, this can be an indication that with others who have  a similar genotype, there is risk since a majority of the UK was probably exposed to Mad Cow Disease.

We know that in Kuru, another human spongiform disease that the incubation period can be over 50 years when the genotype is as it was with this latest victim.

But, the numbers are relatively small compared to the number of Alzheimer cases world-wide.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2009, 07:07:18 PM »
With this type latency, we can expect a huge wave of infections rather soon. Do you agree?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2009, 07:14:05 PM »
There are a number of different genotypes. We do not know what to expect. There is so much that the scientists do not know. But, they continue to discover more and they confirm what we have known for over a hundred years. The disease in animals is increasing and it puts people who eat animal products at risk for these diseases.

We continue to report on this disease because it is quite deadly and there is no cure. Prevention is the only hope. I mention Alzheimer's because I believe we have enough evidence to suggest a link between the animal spongiform diseases, Mad Cow and Scrapie (Mad Sheep), and Alzheimer's. On autopsy there is a percentage of Alzheimer patients that are found to have CJD.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2010, 10:02:32 PM »
I found this from 2005:

Our study demonstrates that an authentic TSE infectious agent is responsible in sheep and goats of sporadic atypical infections that remained unnoticed until recently. This raises important issues with regard to control of scrapie infection in small ruminants. Of major concern, ARR/ARR sheep can no longer be regarded as free of natural TSE infection. This finding challenges, at least to some extent, the foundation of the selective breeding programs engaged in several European Union member states (47, 48) and may call for a reappraisal of possible consequences of this strategy in the long term. Finally, more information about this newly discovered type of TSE agent, its prevalence in countries free of scrapie or BSE disease, and its potential to across-species transmission would be needed for a comprehensive evaluation of its implications in terms of public health.