Author Topic: Why Become a Strict Vegetarian?  (Read 41835 times)

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
Re: Why Become a Strict Vegetarian?
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2003, 11:08:00 AM »
As I read things of this sort it makes me all the more grateful that we have been given this information years ago. And in some things given us we did not have reasons, some things we did. But today we see that those who followed the advise given lived longer and happier lives. And now, after all this time, the world is coming to realize the things once laughed at years ago, are so true today. And they can give us added reasons not to eat meat, etc...  Had more listened when we did not know "all" the "reasons" for it, that there would not have been so many dying of cancer, heart attacks, etc.... getting worse and worse as the years go by.

God is always right. He tells us many things we don't understand at the time, but if we trust and obey (regardless) in time we find that it was the wisest thing after all--"to trust God" and His Prophet.

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Suzanne

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2003, 11:35:00 AM »
"The Dark Side of Animal Protein"

That is the title of chapter 4 of Dr. Joel Fuhrman's new book, Eat to Live. Dr. Fuhrman, a board-certified family physician, specializes in peventing and reversing disease through nutrition and natural methods.

He begins with a discussion of the China-Cornell-Oxford Project (the China Project) and notes that this "Grand Prix of all epidemiological studies is the most comprehensive study on the relationship of diet and disease in medical history. "It studies populations with a full range of dietary possibilities: from a completely plant-food diet to diets that included a significant amount of animal foods."

...Researchers found huge differences in disease rates depending upon the amount of plant foods eaten and the availability of animal products. As the amount of animal products increases, even in very samll amounts, the rates of cancer inceases in direct proportion. "Most cancers occurred in direct proportion to the quantity of animal foods consumed."

The "China Project" found that as animal food consumption approached zero, cancer rates fell. Areas of the country with an extremely low consumption of animal food were virtually free of heart attacks and cancer. An analysis of the mortality data from 65 counties and 130 villages showed a significant association with animal protein intake (even in relatively low levels) and heart attacks, with a strong protective effect from the consumption of green vegetables.

All animal products are low (or completely lacking) in the nutrients that protect us against cancer and heart attacks--fiber, antioxidants, phytochemicals, folate, vitamin E, etc.) Conversely, they are rich in substances that scientific investigations have shown to be associated with cancer and heart disease incidence: saturated fat and cholesterol.

Dr. Fuhrman further delves into the subject noting in his practice that many people do not see a dramatic drop in cholesterol levels unless they eliminate ALL animal products from their diets. He emphasizes that coronary artery disease and heart attacks, the number one killer of Americans, is almost 100 percent avoidable. The China Project verifies that among those who consume a life-long vegetarian diet, heart attacks are virtually non-existent.

...The National Cancer Institute reported on 337 different studies all of which showed the same basic information: vegetables and fruits, when consumed in large enough quantities, protect against all types of cancer; raw vegetables exhibit the most powerful anti-cancer properties; beans in general have additional benefits against reproductive cancers.

An important point must be made that a correctly balanced vegetarian diet is called for. Some vegetarian diets are high in processed grains and other refined, processed foods, and low in nutrient-rich plant foods that are inadequate in offering protection against the various degenerative diseases.

Dr. Fuhrman goes on to discuss longevity of vegetarians and then moves into a discussion of the development of cancer. He emphasizes the importance of establishing healthy dietary practices fro children as unhealthy practices set the stage for cancer many years later.

In regard to breast cancer, the consumption of animal products, and the China Project, Dr. Fuhrman observes that "As animal-ffod intake increased from about once a week in the lowest third to about 4 times a week in the highest third, breast cancer rates increased by 70 percent. Of note is that the only difference among the diets was the addition of meat in varying amounts. Consumption of fresh vetetables in all groups was about the same,...There was a strong increase in the occurrence of breast cancer mortality with increasing animal-product consumption."

"Another recent study from Germany found colon cancer and rectal cancer decreased by about 50 percent in adult vegetarians. However, a significantly greater reduction of cancer and all-cause mortality (about 75 percent reduction) was related to being on a vetetarian diet for more than 20 years. The degree of protection correlated well with the number of years on a vegetarian diet. Other studies on vegetarian diets in different countries show almost the same thing. The causes start accumulating early."

In regards to increasing chances of survival for those already dealing with cancer, Dr. Fuhrman notes that researchers looking for answers to this have found that saturated fat (found abundantly in animal products) in the diet promoted a more rapid spread of the cancer. Other researchers found similar results. For a woman who already has cancer, her risk of dying increased 40 percent for every 1,000 grams of fat consumed monthly. Many studies indicate that high fruit and vegetable intake improved survival, and fat on the body increases the risk of premature death....    

Comment: This is getting rather long...will continue in the next posting.

~Suzanne~

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 10-22-2003).]

Suzanne

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2003, 02:50:00 PM »
...Animal Protein, con't

Dr. Fuhrman points out that "today the link between animal products and many different diseases is as strongly supported in the scientific literature as the link between cigarette smoking and lung cancer. For example, subjects who ate meat, including poultry and fish were found to be twice as likely to develop dementia (loss of intellectual function with aging) than their vegetarian counterparts in a carefully designed study. The discrepancy was further widened when past meat consumption was taken into account. The same diet, loaded with animal products, that causes heart disease and cancer also causes most every other disease prevalent in America including kidney stones, renal insufficiency and renal failure, osteoporosis, uterine fibroids, hypertension, appendicitis, diverticulosis, and thrombosis."

In addessing dairy products and osteoporosis, the doctor quotes Dr. T. Colin Campbell, head of nutritional research at Cornell University: "Ironically, osteoporosis tends to occur in countries where calcium intake is highest and most of it comes from protein-rich dairy products. The Chinese data indicates that people need less calcium than we think and can get adequate amounts from vegetable source plant foods." Dr. Campbell indicated to the New York Times that there was basically no osteoporosis in China, yet the calcium intake ranged from 241 to 943 mg per day (average 544) while the U.S. calcium intake is 841 to 1435 mg per day (average 1143), mostly from dairy sources, and, of course, osteoporosis is a major public health problem here."

Dr. Fuhrman elaborates on the subject, discussing the negative balance and factors contributing to it. He states that "published data clearly links increased urinary excretion of calcium with animal-protein intake but not with vegetable-protein intake. Plant foods, though some may be high in protein, are not acid-forming. Animal-protein ingestion results in a heavy acid load in the blood."

Dr. Fuhrman's concluding comments on dairy: "...It is not essential for good health and carries potential health risks especially products containing dairy fat such as butter and cheese."

For those vegetarian who need more fat in their plant-based diet, Dr. Fuhrman recommends including ground flaxseed and flaxseed oil, as well as raw nuts, nut butters avocados and other healthy foods that are nutrient-rich and also high in fat and calories. --adapted from Back to the Garden, Summer 2003

Physician Profile: Joel Fuhrman, MD.

As a teenager, Joel Fuhrman was a top figure skater...A key element of his training regimen was using a plant-based diet to maximize performance and reduce illness. Years later, while training to become a physician at the University of Pennsylvania School of medicine, Dr. Fuhrman chaired the nutrition education committee and helped fellow students adopt better diets.

Today, Dr. Fuhrman practices family medicine at Hunterdon Medical Center in New Jersey, where he focuses on nutrition. "I have been rewarded with the opportunity to help many thousands of people regain their health, throw away medicines for so-called 'incurable' chronic illnesses, and lose significant amounts of weight," he says. "It's not unusual for those following my program to lose 20 or more pounds in the first six weeks and discontinue using medication for high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol. Instead of merely treating these problems, we aim to get rid of them."

Dr. Fuhrman has spoken at press conferences, handled media interviews and recorded public service announcements on dietary links to heart disease and prostate cancer. He can be reached at www.DrFuhrman.com or at 800-474-9355. His new book: Eat to Live--The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss (Little Brown and Co., 2003) is available at book stores. --Reprinted with permission from Good Medicine, Spring 2003, Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.

~Suzanne

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 10-22-2003).]

Deb

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2003, 04:32:00 PM »
Often when someone gets sick, one of the first things Jetho Kloss in his book "Back to Eden" would advocate was a good enema.

I really think there is something to this. Mr. Kloss talks about it in his book. We do need to pay attention at how our systems run regarding constipation or diarrhea...

Deb

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2003, 05:04:00 PM »
I'm new on here and didn't realize there was a second page to this thread. So I read down through it and you mentioned Dr. Joel Fuhrman. I've been on his Eat to Live program and it is the BEST I've seen yet in order to lose weight.

If anyone is interested in any of his web sites I know of several.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
I became a strict vegetarian when I found out that cancer virus and other diseases were in milk. I then connected the dots and saw that God gave man a strict vegetarian diet in the beginning and therefore it was not deficient as so many claim. Since I was educated in the same manner as my friends and was told I would get sick if I did not eat animal products, it required some faith in God and His word to move forward. That was many years ago. Today, I have seen and I understand that human wisdom is a tool in Satan's hand to put fear into the hearts of men. There is so much evidence in science today that reveals the truth regarding good health and a plant based diet that faith is no longer required. It takes a little time to sort through the data, but even a child may understand that mad cows and Leukemia infected dairy herds have made animal products a danger to all who use them.

God loves us and has given warning that there is great risk in continuing to eat animal products.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Lucia

• I know in Whom I have believed
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2009, 08:27:52 PM »
Although many good points have been made in this thread, I would like to point out another set of reasons for choosing a strict, whole-food, plant-based diet.These points are a summary of a number of more in-depth studies I have done personally in the Bible and SOP on the topic.
-God gave His people the principles of healthy living (all 8 of the natural remedies) primarily for spiritual reasons. The physical benefits are secondary, and are NOT guaranteed. We can follow these principles very closely and still, in some cases, develop cancer, heart dz, diabetes, etc. Obviously, our risk is much lower of getting these diseases.
-The spiritual reasons are several:
1- God is doing a special work for His people now, during the anti-typical Day of Atonement. He calls us to cooperate with Him in this work through our lifestyle choices. Making choices according to His counsel is not only obedient (If you love me, keep my commandments) but enables Him to develop His character in us, to sanctify us. This work is a work in our mind. (Character is the sum total of our thoughts and our feelings - both take place in the brain.) The brain is the organ of the body most sensitive to lifestyle choices of all kinds. The most sensitive part of the brain is the frontal lobe where conscience and choice reside. This is where the Holy Spirit communicates with us. Anything that impairs the functioning of the brain, impairs our ability to hear and follow the leading of the Holy Spirit. Science has now clearly shown that taking into our bodies anything that we have counsel to leave off (excess sugar, fat, any animal products, etc.) directly impairs the function of our frontal lobe.
2- Developing the mind/character of Christ requires self-denial on our part. See Phil.2, first half. Dietary principles outlined by God are designed to also develop self denial in us as we deny perverted appetites

Obedience always results in rich blessings to our walk with God
“We are in the day of atonement, and we are to work in harmony with Christ’s work of cleansing the sanctuary from the sins of the people. Let no man who desires to be found with the wedding garment on, resist our Lord in His office work.  As He is, so will His followers be in this world. RH1-21-1890

colporteur

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2009, 08:27:06 AM »

Since I was educated in the same manner as my friends and was told I would get sick if I did not eat animal products, it required some faith in God and His word to move forward. That was many years ago. Today, I have seen and I understand that human wisdom is a tool in Satan's hand to put fear into the hearts of men. There is so much evidence in science today that reveals the truth regarding good health and a plant based diet that faith is no longer required.

It is ironic how we are told by people that are getting sickly largely because of their lifestyle choices that one cannot be healthy unless they retain that poor lifestyle. By God's grace our children have not had more than the sniffles( one time) in the past year. No doubt this will not last but it is a testimony to the faultiness of the advice of many.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2009, 07:16:21 PM »

1- God is doing a special work for His people now, during the anti-typical Day of Atonement. He calls us to cooperate with Him in this work through our lifestyle choices. Making choices according to His counsel is not only obedient (If you love me, keep my commandments) but enables Him to develop His character in us, to sanctify us. This work is a work in our mind. (Character is the sum total of our thoughts and our feelings - both take place in the brain.) The brain is the organ of the body most sensitive to lifestyle choices of all kinds. The most sensitive part of the brain is the frontal lobe where conscience and choice reside. This is where the Holy Spirit communicates with us. Anything that impairs the functioning of the brain, impairs our ability to hear and follow the leading of the Holy Spirit. Science has now clearly shown that taking into our bodies anything that we have counsel to leave off (excess sugar, fat, any animal products, etc.) directly impairs the function of our frontal lobe.
2- Developing the mind/character of Christ requires self-denial on our part. See Phil.2, first half. Dietary principles outlined by God are designed to also develop self denial in us as we deny perverted appetites

Obedience always results in rich blessings to our walk with God

Amen. To him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin. If we overcome by God's grace on the point of appetite, we can overcome all else.  :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Suzanne

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 02:56:18 PM »
Dr. John McDougall, medical director of the McDougall program has this to say about the Atkins Diet.

Q. What do you think of meat-based diets like the Atkins diet?

A. I call them 'the make yourself sick diets' because they cause the body to go into ketosis--a state that occurs when we are seriously ill. I also use that designation because the very foods recommended--meat, chicken, bacon, eggs, and cheeses--are the foods the Heart Association and the Cancer Society say cause our most dreaded diseases. There is only one way to fully satisfy your appetite with delicious foods and stay trim and healthy for a lifetime--that's a low-fat vegetarian diet with fruits and vegetables and a bit of exercise. --PETA's Vegetarian Starter Kit.

Suzanne

colporteur

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 06:59:58 AM »
I have some difficulty in your first statement.
You said God told us to be vegetarians, did I understand this correctly?  Then, the same God also provided different flash meat to eat, did He not? Is God double talking?<P>Won

Dear Won;
God did not provide animals to eat, He provided animals to grace the earth. Because of sin and some of the peculiar and difficult circumstances as the result of sin God allowed at times the consumption of certain animals. God never purposed for animals to be killed and eaten but He allowed it and even provided it at times. He is leading His people back to the diet originally given to man. Will we follow ?
    The Lord also never purposed originally that little lambs be killed but because of sin there was a time when it was unfortunately necessary. That time is passed. I believe the same is true today when it comes to the killing of animals and eating their flesh for pleasure when we have adequate fruits, grains, and nuts. In the very few exceptions where there is not reasonable alternative, if there are any, that may be a different matter.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009, 08:23:20 AM »
I have some difficulty in your first statement.
You said God told us to be vegetarians, did I understand this correctly?  Then, the same God also provided different flash meat to eat, did He not? Is God double talking?<P>Won

Amen, Cp ... also a review of the story of the flood, that transitional period from the original diet to that to include clean meats, can clear up any misunderstandings. God did this for a reason and man's life span was shortened at the same time.

It is quite an incredible transitional period.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 01:06:09 PM »
And if man still desires to kill to satisfy his appetite, and cares not to keep his lifespan shortened from 900 to 70, then he ought to consider that there is no such thing as "clean" meat or milk.  The day has passed when eating a cow would only shorten man's life to three score and ten. Today, Leukemia kills many in their childhood. There is no such thing as clean meat or milk. The animals are diseased and pass their diseases to man when he eats their flesh, milk, or eggs. It is past time to become a strict vegetarian.

colporteur

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 06:42:16 AM »
Last night I knocked on the door of a family whose truck had this bumper sticker, " Eat venison 10,000 wolves cannot be wrong !"

My thoughts were... I guess that's ok if you are a wolf but I don't claim that title.
Vultures, pigs, dogs, and no doubt wolves eat road kills as well. I don't think that is good company.... or.... a good recommendation.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2010, 03:45:27 PM »
There is nothing more powerful than a good testimony on the benefits of healthy eating:

Adventist Joseph Nally says a vegan lifestyle leads to life of happiness
Virginia De Leon Correspondent

Vegetarian chef Joseph Nally is a graduate of the College of Culinary Arts at Johnson and Wales University and worked as a chef for many years before he slowly turned to a plant-based diet. He didn’t become a Seventh-day Adventist until about four years ago, when the vegetarian teachings of the church appealed to him. He’s now a preacher and instructor for the Countryside Seventh-day Adventist Church in north Spokane.

Simple Health Cooking Class

What: A free vegetarian cooking class followed by a community meal

When: Second Sunday of each month at 4 p.m.

Where: Spokane Countryside Adventist Church, 12107 W. Seven Mile Road

For more information: Call (509) 720-8038 or check out Joseph Nally’s blog, which includes the recipes for his vegetarian cooking class.

There’s actually such a thing as a “bad vegetarian.” At least, that’s how Joseph Nally once identified himself.

In his desire to be healthy and to lessen his impact on the environment, Nally vowed 10 years ago to refrain from eating meat as well as eggs and dairy products. But he still felt bloated and sluggish, he recalled.

His diet – sans animal flesh and products – consisted mostly of refined carbohydrates and saturated fats.

“Sure, I cut out the meat, but I ate everything else,” said Nally, a trained chef who lives in Nine Mile Falls. “Eating well isn’t just about removing meat. It’s really more about eating whole grains, raw vegetables and other healthy foods.”

After spending nearly a decade working in restaurants in various parts of the country, Nally discovered a connection between his health and spiritual life. He came to the conclusion that he could no longer just live to eat; instead he had to eat well in order to live a more vibrant and sustainable life.

Now, Nally is sponsored by the Spokane Countryside Adventist Church as a “Bible worker,” that is, a preacher and instructor, whose duties include teaching others about the benefits of simple, plant-based foods. Every month, he organizes a free cooking and health class for people in the community who want to learn more about vegetarian and vegan alternatives.
  More on this story

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

colporteur

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2010, 05:08:57 PM »
There is never an end to the new twists. A conference worker I know said that "the health message is a gift." I agree.  Then he said  that you can open the gift or not open it since it is not a salvation issue. Apparently his thinking is that the health message will give you longer and happier life but if you choose to ignor it you may lose out physically but not in the spiritual arena. It sounds as though he sees the SOP relative to the health message as no more than a good idea, a suggestion. I see this as lethal theology leading to eternal loss unless repented of. He defends chocolate in health lectures claiming it is good for you and " show me one quote from Ellen White against chocolate and I will give you $100.

If the health message is light what are we told in the Scriptures happens when we walk not in the light ?

Larry Lyons

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2010, 06:24:01 PM »

As him "Ellen White never said it was wrong to eat road kill. Does that mean you will eat it?" Saying chocolate is good for you is on the same level as saying a daily glass or two of red wine is good for you.

Picking and choosing in the SOP is "making the Testimonies of none effect."

colporteur

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2010, 08:14:24 AM »

That's the way I see it. If there is one benefit to something and six negatives is it good for you ? Its like the good dog that only bites every tenth person.
     I would like to locate the quote I read one day that said practicing the health message is just as much a moral duty as is keeping the Sabbath. Perhaps someone has that quote for me at their finger tips.

How can we intentionally and repeatedly reject a gift of God and be saved ? Where is that in Scripture ?

Donna H

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2010, 07:20:54 PM »
There is never an end to the new twists. A conference worker I know said that "the health message is a gift." I agree.  Then he said  that you can open the gift or not open it since it is not a salvation issue. Apparently his thinking is that the health message will give you longer and happier life but if you choose to ignor it you may lose out physically but not in the spiritual arena. It sounds as though he sees the SOP relative to the health message as no more than a good idea, a suggestion. I see this as lethal theology leading to eternal loss unless repented of. He defends chocolate in health lectures claiming it is good for you and " show me one quote from Ellen White against chocolate and I will give you $100.

If the health message is light what are we told in the Scriptures happens when we walk not in the light ?

If it is a gift of God, and God only gives us good gifts and wants the best for us, it only makes sense that at some point in our relationship with Him, He would convict us of the health message and work in us to give us a healtheir, fuller life. What happens if we reject the convictions of the Holy Spirit on the health message? Doesn't that in and of itself not put it into the realm of obedience, of accepting the Spirit in our lives, and our trust in God?  Wouldn't that effect everyother aspect of our realtionship with God, if trust is involved? And is does that mean that it is a moral and a salvation issue, becoming a choice between belief and unbelief?
Faith is the living power that presses through every barrier, overrides all obstacles, and plants its banner in the heart of the enemy’s camp. 4T 163.3

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2010, 09:33:29 PM »
"Moral" has to do with right and wrong. Is it right to kill oneself with what enters the mouth? If we know smoking is harmful is it immoral to smoke?  I think a child can answer this for us. But, the Bible says "to him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him, it is sin." The Bible means exactly what it says. Many refuse to believe what the Bible says and they will suffer loss. There is no greater sin than "unbelief".

And, we can add just a little to this short lesson. Some remain willfully ignorant and they too are guilty of sin.  When we neglect the opportunity to learn what is truth, it is a moral choice. Some restrict "morality" to the ten commandments, but they err. Selfishness is sin. All sin is immoral.

So, when one knows that it is unnecessary to kill an animal to have health, then why kill an animal for food?

When one is told that there is Leukemia Virus in most dairy and a virus can cause human cancer, then why continue to eat dairy? Because we need it for good health? No. That has never been true. The original diet given to man did not include eggs and milk. So, man does not need them for good health. To the contrary, dairy causes disease in humans because much of it is infected with disease. Those who do not understand, and do not remain willfully ignorant are not guilty of violating a "moral" law. They may violate a physical law that will have consequences, but if they do not understand, then there is no issue of morality in eating animals or their products.

Most people outside of the church are happy to find out about dairy products. Many begin to make changes in their diet immediately upon receiving the information. They rush home to see if it is so and by the next time I see them they have more questions and express their shock that things could have gotten to such a sad state where the government allows Leukemia to be in milk sold to the public. They have no "religious" law forcing them to do what is right, they just want to do it to protect themselves and their children. Don't most feel this way? And if not, why not?