Author Topic: You Need More Exercise!  (Read 15961 times)

Vicki

Re: You Need More Exercise!
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2009, 04:18:30 AM »
5 More Reasons to Walk

Studies show that even small amounts of brisk walking can keep you healthy.  Here's the amount you need daily to lower your risk of 5 diseases:

* 17 minutes reduces depression symptons 41%.

* 17 minutes reduces colon cancer 31%.

* 18 minutes reduces coronary heart disease 36%.

* 21 minutes reduces stroke 43%.

* 30 minutes reduces type 2 diabetes 30%.
--Prevention, Nov. 2008.

Suzanne

What does 45-50 minutes do for you?  That's my usual walk.

Keeps you out of a nursing home.  ;D

(Couldn't resist playing off your previous post.)

I have a hard time going for a short walk, it's usually all (2 or more miles) or nothing. And then I feel bad if I didn't do something. This report is encouraging to take that small break during a busy day and walk. Thank you. :)

Daily my husband went out for a walk. In the winter a terrible snowstorm came, and Father thought he could not go out in the storm and snow. I went to Brother Root and said, "Brother Root, have you a spare pair of boots?"

"Yes," he answered.

"I should be glad to borrow them this morning," I said. Putting on the boots and starting out, I tracked a quarter of a mile in the deep snow. On my return, I asked my husband to take a walk. He said he could not go out in such weather. "Oh, yes, you can," I replied. "Surely you can step in my tracks." He was a man who had great respect for women; and when he saw my tracks, he thought that if a woman could walk in that snow, he could. That morning he took his usual walk. 2SM p 307.2,3,4

Reading that, there's not much that should stop us from walking!

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2009, 05:49:32 AM »

Keeps you out of a nursing home.  ;D

(Couldn't resist playing off your previous post.)

I have a hard time going for a short walk, it's usually all (2 or more miles) or nothing. And then I feel bad if I didn't do something. This report is encouraging to take that small break during a busy day and walk. Thank you. :)

Daily my husband went out for a walk. In the winter a terrible snowstorm came, and Father thought he could not go out in the storm and snow. I went to Brother Root and said, "Brother Root, have you a spare pair of boots?"

"Yes," he answered.

"I should be glad to borrow them this morning," I said. Putting on the boots and starting out, I tracked a quarter of a mile in the deep snow. On my return, I asked my husband to take a walk. He said he could not go out in such weather. "Oh, yes, you can," I replied. "Surely you can step in my tracks." He was a man who had great respect for women; and when he saw my tracks, he thought that if a woman could walk in that snow, he could. That morning he took his usual walk. 2SM p 307.2,3,4

Reading that, there's not much that should stop us from walking!

I love that quote!  I'd never read it before.  Now I know I'm not quite as craxy as some might think when I go off in the worst weather to take my morning walk.  If it's -20 and blowing I put on the snowshoes and go through the woods (1 mile trail to my neighbor's house) to keep out of the wind.  I stay quite warm, amazingly enough.  Of course, if you've ever used snowshoes you know that quite a lot of effort is expended in process. 
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Vicki

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2009, 07:38:04 AM »

I love that quote!  I'd never read it before.  Now I know I'm not quite as craxy as some might think when I go off in the worst weather to take my morning walk.  If it's -20 and blowing I put on the snowshoes and go through the woods (1 mile trail to my neighbor's house) to keep out of the wind.  I stay quite warm, amazingly enough.  Of course, if you've ever used snowshoes you know that quite a lot of effort is expended in process. 

I love hiking in snowshoes! I haven't done it in so long... Not only do you expend a lot of energy and keep extra warm, but you find muscles you forgot you had. Here it's not snow that blows but sand - I was out walking once in a sandstorm and I don't want to do that again! Those are the days that an indoor exercise program would be OK by me since there is no fresh air to breathe in a sandstorm.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2015, 05:19:34 PM »
Here is an abstract that is probably more aimed at the scientists among us. However, if you can wade through the first couple of paragraphs I think you'll find it interesting. I've been hearing stuff very similar over the last few years that it doesn't take much exercise to make you a whole lot healthier. And it doesn't have to be "hard" or involve an hour a day.

We investigated whether a training protocol that involved 3 min of intense intermittent exercise per week — within a total training time commitment of 30 min including warm up and cool down — could increase skeletal muscle oxidative capacity and markers of health status. Overweight/obese but otherwise healthy men and women (n = 7 each; age  = 29±9 y; BMI  = 29.8±2.7 kg/m2) performed 18 training sessions over 6 wk on a cycle ergometer. Each session began with a 2 min warm-up at 50 W, followed by 3×20 s “all-out” sprints against 5.0% body mass (mean power output: ∼450–500 W) interspersed with 2 min of recovery at 50 W, followed by a 3 min cool-down at 50 W. Peak oxygen uptake increased by 12% after training (32.6±4.5 vs. 29.1±4.2 ml/kg/min) and resting mean arterial pressure decreased by 7% Source
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2015, 08:19:12 AM »
Very good, Jim. Science is catching up with us.  Oxygen increase is the first benefit. Improved circulation is the foundation of good health. I was getting a sore throat. A half hour hike reversed the infection. Another time, I was getting a fever at a meeting. A friend had me stretch out on a warm rock and gave me a very strong massage. It turned the day around for me right then. We do not know the half of the blessings God has for us when we walk in the light of His love and counsel.

The limbs, which should have even more covering than any other portion of the body, because farthest from the center of circulation, are often not suitably protected; while over the vital organs, where there is naturally more warmth than in other portions of the body, there is an undue proportion of covering. The heavy draperies often worn upon the back, induce heat and congestion in the sensitive organs which lie beneath. This fashionable attire is one of the greatest causes of disease among women. Perfect health depends upon perfect circulation. If the limbs are properly clothed, fewer skirts are needed. These should not be so heavy as to impede the motion of the limbs, nor so long as to gather the dampness and filth of the ground, and their weight should be suspended from the shoulders. The dress should fit easily, obstructing neither the circulation of the blood, nor a free, full, natural respiration. The feet should be suitably protected from cold and damp. Clad in this way, we can take exercise in the open air, even in the dew of morning or evening, or after a fall of snow or rain, without
fear of taking cold. Exercise in the invigorating air of heaven is necessary to a healthy circulation of the blood. It is the best safeguard against colds, coughs, and the internal congestions which lay the foundation of so many diseases. True dress reform regulates every article of clothing. If those ladies who are failing in health would lay off their fashionable robes, clothe themselves suitably for out-door enjoyment, and exercise in the open air, carefully at first, increasing the amount as they can endure it, many of them might recover health, and live to bless the world with their example and the work of their hands.  {CTBH 89.1}
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2016, 01:31:38 PM »

This man was perhaps the most famous that ever lived in terms of physical fitness. He had a television exercise program for many years and was especially known for his swimming feats. His mother was a strict Seventh-day Adventist.

Who was he ?
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Immanuel

• Senior Moderator
  • Jesus is My Judge
    • Emmanuel Institute of Evangelism
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2016, 01:55:54 PM »
Jack LaLane

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2016, 01:59:27 PM »
Is he the one who pulled the boat with his teeth?   :)     Was he a Seventh-day Adventist? I have a juicer with his name on it.   :)   He was a little ahead of his time.  Has the world passed us by?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2016, 02:25:31 PM »
That's right Immanuel and Richard. At fifteen his life changed. He asked God to change him and make him born again.  He ate no meat but fish for 80 years and was a total vegetarian for 7 years. He thought that he needed fish for protein. On his 70th birthday he swam one mile shackled and handcuffed pulling 70 row boats occupied with 70 people. "Jumping Jacks" came from Jack Lalanne. There is no mention of Jack being SDA so I doubt that he was, however, his mother was. His tv exercise program ran for 34 years. He exercised every day until the day he died at age 96. You can watch him pull the boats on You Tube recorded on his birthday. His name was as much a household name as that of Roy Rogers. He helped  a lot of people and inspired millions.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.