Author Topic: Why Become a Strict Vegetarian?  (Read 41832 times)

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Why Become a Strict Vegetarian?
« on: July 30, 2003, 04:10:00 PM »
Why be a Vegetarian?
1. Because God said so!
“And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed,which is upon the
face of the earth, and every tree, in which
is the fruit of a tree yielding seed,
To you it shall be for meat.”  Gen. 1:29
2. Because health is a treasure.
“If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the Lord thy God, and wilt do that
which is right in his sight, And wilt give  
ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes,I will put none of these diseases
upon thee.....”Exodus 15:26
3. To live longer
When meat is eaten, it decays in the stomach and creates disease. If meat eating was ever
ever healthful, it is not safe now.Cancers,
tumors, and pulmonary diseases are largely caused by meat eating.

Enjoy these recipes, your children will also.
 Wonderful Tofu Burgers
2 cups regular oats      ½  tsp garlic pwdr 1 cup ground pecans      1 tsp onion powder
1 pkg. Mori-Nu tofu      1 T Braggs soy sauce
3/4 cup cold water                          
Fry in teflon fry pan, three minutes on each side to make patties firm.Then bake in oven with oriental gravy or regular cashew gravy on top. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.  Serve with gravy,  rice or baked potato.

Ele’s Favorite Sunburgers
(I make these for two restaurants in Mexico

In a large kettle bring to a boil  3 quarts water (12 cups)
Add: 1 1/2 cups soy sauce (Bragg’s)                                    ½ cup dried onions or chopped raw
½ tsp garlic powder
4 tsp thyme
4 Tbls. nutritional yeast
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
Turn off stove, then add while stirring in slowly: 3 quarts quick oats (12 cups) Cool.
Use the large Mason jar top to form perfect burgers, spray cookie sheet.
Bake in 350 degree oven 10 minutes on each side.   They freeze well.
To reheat, set in toaster two or three times till perfect for your favorite bun.

“Beloved, I wish above all things
that thou may prosper and be in health,
Even as thy soul prosper.”  3 John 2
God bless you, Ele Holmes

I do not understand ICQ, cookies, UBB, HTML, homepage???

Won Bae

Re: Why Become a Strict Vegetarian?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2003, 02:18:00 PM »
I have some difficulty in your first statement.
You said God told us to be vegetarians, did I understand this correctly?  Then, the same God also provided different flash meat to eat, did He not? Is God double talking?

Won

Suzanne

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 06:02:00 PM »
Here is my understanding of what God said about being a vegetarian. When God first gave his people permission to eat meat after the flood, it was to shorten their sinful lives. That long-lived race lived almost a thousand years and God saw that in the sinful condition they were in, this was simply too long, so He gave them permission to eat meat. That right there should tell us something.

Now, in our day when people are dying like flies so to speak at younger and younger ages we no longer should be eating something that is so adept at shortening our lives. And no, God has not changed, but His method of dealing with His created beings has taken a different course.

"After the flood the people ate largely of animal food. God saw that the ways of man were corrupt, and that he was disposed to exalt himself proudly against his Creator and to follow the inclinations of his own heart. And He permitted that long-lived race to eat animal food to shorten their sinful lives. Soon after the flood the race began to rapidly decrease in size, and in length of years."  Ellen White, Counsels on Diet and Foods, p. 373.

In our day, this is the counsel He has for us:

"Among those who are waiting for the coming of the Lord, meat eating will eventually be done away; flesh will cease to form a part of their diet...."  Ibid. p. 380-381.

~Suzanne~

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 08-04-2003).]

Suzanne

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 06:30:00 PM »
Socrates: And there will be animals of many other kinds, if people eat them?

Glaucon: Certainly.

Socrates: And living in this way we shall have much greater need of physicians than before?

Glaucon: Much greater.

--Plato, The Republic

This was quoted at the beginning of a chapter in the book, Renewal, The Anti-Aging Revolution, by Timothy J. Smith, M.D. He says: "As a physician who has treated many...patients--the unwiting victims of self-inflicted illness--I've witnessed the slow deterioration of health up close, and it is not pretty. It always makes me profoundly sad because with a vegan diet, appropriate nutritional supplements, and regular exercise, most of this human suffering could easily be prevented...."

~Suzanne~

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 09:21:00 PM »
Why be a strict vegetarian? It was indeed the original diet that God gave to man. And if we take notice we shall find that there were no greens for man, but only for the animals.  :) This is quite important to notice because the world and sometimes those in the church are fearful that this diet is not the best and even worse is deficient. Well, God does not think so. He is the one who made us and told us what to eat.

Why did God allow flesh and animal products (eggs and milk)?  As Sister Suzanne has pointed out, God was sorry that man was living so long. He only got more sinful the longer he lived. The change in diet reduced the lifespan. It was not an immediate reduction to 120 years, but happened over a number of years.

Now, things are different than at the time of Christ when He ate fish. Today, animals are so very sick that it is no longer safe to even drink their milk or eat their eggs. Much disease is transmitted through this animal connection with humans. It is very sad that so few understand how diseased the animals really are.

We encourage all to consider that for their health they begin to modify their diets to illiminate all animal products. Of course it does little good to remove animal products if one continues to smoke or eat large amounts of sugar and oil. We need to make reforms in all areas of our life in order to be in the best of health.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 06:45:00 PM »
Thank you Richard and Suzanne,   I could not have explained it more clearly.
   JESUS IS COMING OH! SO VERY SOON.
 Counsels on Diet and Foods  explains it very clear:  "Again and again I have been shown that God  is trying to lead us back, step by step, to His original design.Man should subsist upon the natural products of the earth"  "Vegtables, fruits and grains should compose our diet.  Not an ounce of flesh meat should enter out stomachs.  The eating of flesh is unnatural.  We are to return to God's original purpose in creation of man."  Pg. 380
   I pray the Lord fills our hearts with love, and endurance as we prepare for translation.   God be with us all, Ele Holmes

Narroc

• http://
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2003, 11:31:00 PM »
Ele, The problem I have is although I am still a vegetarian as I don't like meat anyway, But My first wife passed away 15 years ago from Bowel cancer, She was quite a strict vegetarian too.
But what I think is missing that too little empasis is put on consitpation, Although we ate at the same table the same meals she suffered badly from consitpation while I've never had a problem, Of course vegetarians tend to have less heart problems than meat eaters.
I think consitpation has has a larger part in cancer than just eating vegatables.
Sis White seems to be a bit inconsistant in her calls to SDA's to be vegatarians when in another part she says that people who must have meat for some reason should still eat meat, One problem I have is that her writings are used to hit people over the head with.  

Suzanne

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2003, 02:28:00 PM »
Br. Narroc, a vegetarian diet is certainly advocated here as being enjoined upon us by God himself. However that is only one aspect of healthful living as presented by Inspiration.  Getting sufficient fresh air, water, rest and sleep, plenty of fruits and veggies, and trust in divine power should be equally emphasized. This total program is advocated by Inspiration as well as by the latest scientific medical findings.

Anyone suffering from constipation or any other malady should  study into the subject in all its bearings and implement their findings accordingly. Constipation can be relieved in most cases by an adequate amount of water on a daily basis, plus fiber as found in whole grains, fruit and veggies. Flaxseed, wheat bran and germ, are specifics. And don't forget exercise--this is imperative.

Of course, we should not use the Spirit of Prophecy to hit people over the head! At the same time it certainly is to our advantage to utilize her writings to the utmost in our individual daily lives. Her writings are biblically based and are therefore timely and timeless.

~Suzanne~

Narroc

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2003, 02:52:00 AM »
Suzanne, It is very easy to give gibe answers but as one who was as closly associated as I was
A lot of these things you mentioned were part of our daily living. While yes I think they do help they are not the whole answer, I would suggest you read  'The Health Revolution' By Ross Horne.  

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2003, 04:45:00 PM »
Dear Brother Narroc,I am so sorry about your first wife's death, 15 years ago, from Colon Cancer. My father died from Colon Cancer, my mother from Diabitis, my sister had two breasts removed and my brother had prostrate cancer.  My husband died in 1980 of Cirrosis of the liver (Alcohol).  In 1987 when I opened the door of my heart to my Jesus, to let Him him, I came in on the health message, being overweight, but healthy, I praised Him and followed the health message from the very beginning.  I studied for over five years, learning all I can on how to stay healthy. It was not easy  at times.  I started writing bulletins for the church and giving out wonderful recipes of health.  I do not find Ellen G. White hitting anyone over the head with this message, in fact just the opposite: CDF129  "We must go no faster than we can take those with us whose consciences and intellects are convinced of the truths we advocate.  We must meet the people where they are.  Some of us have been many years in arriving at our present position in the health reform.....We should be very cautious not to advance to fast....."  Much research especially from Loma Linda have been done with results unbelievable.   I have been to Weimar and Canoa Wellness Centers and miracles every day pass through their doors.  So Praise the Lord on His health message and follow the eight steps to health, as Suzanne explained in her post  reply.  Get a positive attitude on vegetarianism.  Remember, every year that goes by we learn more about health and what it takes to be healthy. Disease in animals gets worse, diseases in humans gets worse, you know why....Jesus is coming so very soon...Focus on that for a while.  God bless you Narroc.   Ele Holmes  

Narroc

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2003, 10:45:00 PM »
Ele & Suzanne, You both seemed to have missed the point of what I'm saying. While I agree a vegatarian diet is the best (I'm still a vegatarian) what I was getting at is that consitapation is the major cause of most diseases, Auto intoxication is a major problem which most of the health profession put their head in the sand over. I'm not saying it's the only cause but is a major cause.
I quote'Sir William Arbuthnot Lane, The famous British Surgeon, Repeatedly emphasized that he had never known a single case of cancer which had not been preceded by prolonged intestinal stasis' See 'The Health Revolution' by Ross Horne p 244.
Cancer is a disease of modern civilisation.
I never said Ellen White hit anyone over the head what I said was people (mostly laypreachers) have a tendancy to hit people over the head with her writings.

[This message has been edited by Narroc (edited 08-16-2003).]

Suzanne

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2003, 06:59:00 AM »
Br. Narroc, you have made many excellent points. Forgive me for being insensitive to your concerns. Perhaps you could post a brief summary of the book you mentioned. We are always interested in all aspects of healthful living and should always be learners. The subject requires that we spend much time and a prayerful determination to cover all the bases in our quest for a healthful lifestyle. The purpose of which is to better glorify our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Let's discuss the subject of constipation:

How many bowel movements should we have each day?  I just heard a radio program where it was stated that if one has 1 b.m. a day he/she is constipated.

What are some of the methods you use to eliminate this problem? I have found that when I use ground flaxseed every day I can comply with the more than one a day standard. What about 8 glasses of water a day? I am not always able to reach that amount but when I do drink an adequate amount I have no problems. That along with at least 30 minutes of brisk walking each day really fills the bill. Of course a correct plant-based diet is always apropos and is imperative in dealing with almost any disorder.

While this is a subject that many do not like to discuss, perhaps your comments have broken the ice so to speak, so that we can discuss it with the thought of helping each other out in this vital area of healthful living.

May the the Lord lead and guide us in this endeavor.

~Suzanne~

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2003, 08:52:00 AM »
This an interesting discussion. Many times there is a mistaken belief that when one becomes a vegetarian that they will be healthy. It is not true. The basis for good health depends upon good blood which improves greatly when one ceases to eat animal products, but there are many other things that are needed to be in good health. We have discussed this in this forum previously.

One may have the very best diet, but if he continues to smoke, he will suffer. If one eats a lot of sugar or a lot of oil or does not eat a wide variety of fresh food, the quality of the blood will suffer greatly.

We can go on and on, but the point is simply made that good health requires modern man to make many lifestyle changes. In speaking to the subject of constipation, I find that the counsel that God gave regarding diet is especially beneficial to those who suffer with this difficulty. We are told that if we would eat fruit as it comes from the tree we would be blessed. This is not the case with most of us. A pie is preferred to a fresh peach. Blueberry jam is eaten more than fresh blueberries.

If one were to eat largely of fresh fruit, did not overeat, and exercised daily, constipation would be far less. Many have not eaten fruit so the change needs to be made slowly that the body may have time to adjust to such a radical change.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Narroc

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2003, 03:34:00 PM »
Bro Myers, You raised a good point, One of the problems of the busy life we live is the tendancy to go for prepackaged meals, Instant meals, this is an instant world we live in.
Too much salt, too much sugar, too much fat, too much takeways, Too little exercise, too much watching TV, too much stress, too much cooked food, too much yuppy food.

[This message has been edited by Narroc (edited 08-17-2003).]

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2003, 04:25:00 PM »
Dear Narroc,
   I too an sorry for  coming out so strong....All eight rules of health are so important. I am an offender.  After 15 years, I am still over-weight, less, but still over-weight.  This last trip to Canoa Wellness Center, I learned just what we are talking about now.  They  made sure my colan was completely cleaned out and gave lectures on how important it is to  keep it that way.   But like you said too much this or too much that will not give us the desease free body that is needed  for the healthy blood.   Thank you Richard and Suzanne for your words on health.

Suzanne

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2003, 04:30:00 PM »
The Sept. 1, 2003 issue of First for Women on the Go, has this interesting article.

Eliminate the Stress of Constipation

While this subject is not a pretty topic, it is a common concern: One of 4 adults say they've endured a bout of constipation in the past 3 months. And a new study reveals that women are twice as likely to be affected as men. Pregnancy, PMS and menopause trigger fluctuations in estrogen and progesterone, hormones that control smooth muscle contractions, according to Christy L Dibble, D.O., director of the Gastro-intestinal Endoscopy Unit Program at Women & Infants Hospital in Providence. And when contractions in the muscles that support bowel function are disrupted, constipation can  result.

Repeatedly ignoring the urge to go (maybe holding off until you're in the comfort of your own bathroom) can impair the relaxation reflex of the anal-rectal muscles, warns Henry Parkman, MD., a gastroenterologist at Temple Univ. School of Medicine in Philadelphia. When these muscles are tight, it is difficult for the body to release stool, which results in constipation.--adapted.

The article then proceeds to tell us about fiber, water, fruits and veggies, exercise, etc. And warns against laxatives which can be habit forming. It also mentions that if constipation is chronic or severe, one should see a physician to rule out underlying causes, such as anemia, polyps or thyroid problems.

Hope this is helpful,
~Suzanne~

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 08-17-2003).]

Narroc

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2003, 11:00:00 PM »
Yes one of the annoying parts is my father (a noninal believer) smoked a pipe like a train, chewed tobacco, drank, ate lots of meat, and still lived to 84yrs, Yet other people try to follow a healthy lifestyle yet die at a much younger age.
Yes I know all about one's dispostion but the main thing we all have to die sometime and as long as we are ready to go when the time comes that's the main thing,

[This message has been edited by Narroc (edited 08-17-2003).]

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2003, 09:16:00 AM »
"...as long as we are ready to go when the time comes that's the main thing."  Amen, Brother Narroc. And we do not know when that day may come. It could be today. Today is the day of salvation.  "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
    • http://www.drdugaldlewis.com
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2003, 01:10:00 PM »
Dear Narroc,

Sorry to hear about your wife. There may be other factors that could have caused colon cancer, hereditary predisposition being a major one. Constipation could have simply been one of the manifestations of colon cancer during the early stages of its development. It is important to understand that some cancers may take 10-15 years before they are detected. Hence the value of routine colonoscopies.    

You raised an important topic about Lane. In fact, Lane was exposed to the teachings of Dr John Harvey Kellog who also had an aversion to the colon.  

Some people can become fixated on the colon as the source of diseases that they become overbearing. There is no question that unnecessary stasis, bacterial translocation, and a buildup of of toxins can take place in the colon. Much of that depends however on the foods eaten, and the level of activity.

The recommendations of Sister Suzanne are excellent. I wouldn't go any further than increasing water intake, increase fiber intake, eating fruits and vegetables, walking after meals, and mineral oil if needed.

Kellog promoted hot colonic enemnas with temperatuires up to 120 F. Lane promoted colon removal. Both were wrong. God's methods work best.

Dugald

Suzanne

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2003, 09:00:00 AM »
Get this! even the secular media is warning against the meat and animal products that are available today. Psychology Today, September/October 2003, featured this article:

Warning on Toxins

Women and especially young girls should be eating less meat, whole milk and other dietary fat that may expose them to dioxins, warns a recent report. The Institute of Medicine, one arm of the National Academy of Sciences, points out that these chemicals increase the risk of cancer and alter hormone production in both men and women.

Dioxins, discovered in the 1970s, are industrial pollutants that lodge in animal fat via contaminated soil. They are especially dangerous for young girls as their bodies accumulate the pollutants over time. They can harm infants in utero and through breast milk.  --adapted.

Well, here we have another warning regarding the dangers of the high-meat and animal fat diet consumed by so many today. And men are equally affected in other ways and should also take notice.

A word to the wise,
~Suzanne~

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 08-20-2003).]