Author Topic: Cutting Edge Recipes  (Read 133511 times)

Michelle

• http://
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2004, 04:56:00 PM »
Light tofu creme cheeze
1/4 large regular tofu (the 1 lb size that comes in water--so 1/4 lb), patted dry and crumbled
1/3 c firm silken tofu, patted dry and crumbled
1 1/2 T fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 t Braggs Liquid Aminos
1-2 t pure maple syrup
1/2 t nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 C chopped dates
1/4 C chopped walnuts

If using date pieces in oat flour, place them in enough hot water to soften while preparing remaining ingredients.  Place all tofu into a food processor and pulse until creamy smooth.  Add next 4 ingredients and process until creamy smooth again.  Stir in the last two ingredients and chill.  (this needs to chill overnight so the flavors permeate the tofu)

Michelle

Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2004, 05:00:00 PM »
Another recipe from my friend who does the taste testing and has all the recipes is the following.  I tried it for the first time on my family right before we had company.  They loved it, so I served my company the next day.  I did tell them it was carob so they wouldn't think it was weird chocolate, but they really liked it as well and thanked me for making it for them.

Carob Peanut Butter Fudge

Mix and melt until creamy:

1/4 C honey
1/4 C maple syrup
1/3 C carob powder
1 C peanut or almond butter

Add 1 cup chopped nuts.  Pour into glass dish.  Chill and cut into squares.  If desired, sprinkle coconut on top.

(even my husband who doesn't like carob liked these!)

Michelle

Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2004, 05:04:00 PM »
Oh, I had a question for my friend that she didn't know the answer to--is there something besides pimentos that can make a nice orange color in a "cheeze"?  Thanks.

M

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2004, 08:33:00 PM »
The  recipies sound very good, Sister Michelle. If my wife sees them, I will have to hide my bread honey.   :)

We use red bell peppers. We buy them in season fresh, then cook, peel, and freeze them in small bags for later use. It is a lot cheaper. You might try carrots or corn also.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2004, 08:51:00 AM »
Dear Michelle,
   Being in Mexico, my ingredients for some recipes may be immpossible to find, like bulk Tofu.  I am going to try your cream cheese recipe without the regular tofu. Do you think it will work? We do get Mori-Nu here.  That sounds so good, to go with the whole grain bagels I bake.  I still am trying to perfect my bagels.  Some come out so good and others don't rise as much, due to the water bath they need. Testing 1 2 3.  

At Christmas I made fudge for the poor baskets. It was a fun project. Your Jello recipe I will make for my grandson.  He likes Jello and he will really like the sparkles.  Thank you, I will try both.  God bless you.  Ele

[This message has been edited by Ele Holmes (edited 02-14-2004).]

I do not understand ICQ, cookies, UBB, HTML, homepage???

Liane H

Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2004, 09:13:00 AM »
I have yet to use my automatic bread maker.

Can any of you give me a simple recipe that works good for a breadmaker that I can use to make my first homemade bread?

Thank you,

Liane

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2004, 10:26:00 AM »
Dear liane,  God is all-knowing.  Just two days ago I pulled out some recipes to put into the Bread Recipe link but couldn't find it so maybe we could put it with all  the recipes.  You guessed it. I have about three or four good bread machine recipes.   I will print them in after Sabbath. I have the Doctors and a few friends coming to Sabbath lunch in a little while.  Love in Jesus, Ele

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2004, 10:46:00 AM »
Liane,  I can give you this whole wheat  recipe now and fruit and nut one....Most Machines are like the Panasonic so your recipes should all be the same. Let me know.

Honey Whole Wheat Bread
   2 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
   1 tsp salt
   2 tsp. egg replacer
   2 Tbls oil
   2 Tbls honey
   3/4 cup warm water
   1 tsp active dry yeast
Layer ingredients except for yeast into bread pan.  Fill dispenser with yeast; close lid.  Push start.  And your bread is done....

For a Whole Wheat Fruit and Nut Bread

Recipes are the same except add:    
   1/4 cup chopped nuts
   1/4 cup raisins
Only use 1/2 cup warm water and 1/2 cup warm
apple juice instaed of 1 full cup of warm water.  All other ingredients exactly the same as above recipe.

God bless your new venture....  Ele

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2004, 11:43:00 AM »
Sister Liane, I have found that bread makers are different and you may have to follow the recipies given in your book and then make adjustments. It caused me great pain for quite awhile because I would not use white flour or ingredients that others were using. I finally got a recipe that works in my breadmakers.

Run a search through this forum and you will find a discussion on this topic.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2004, 02:25:00 PM »
Thank you Richard....I was told all were about the same.  

liane, Let me know so I have the right info for others.  Find out first before you have problems like Richard did. God Bless you.

Liane H

Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2004, 04:25:00 PM »
Hi;

In the back of the bread maker booklet they have whole wheat flour, so I am going to use the recipe that Ele gave with the directions of the book in how to do it.

The only difference I will use is the Sweet Cactus Farms sweetener than honey. It is organic and very good and they give directions in how much to use which is less than what is stated for honey.

It is very low in the glycemic index and one can use less than prescribe for sugar and honey. Also less water and lower heat is suggested and by how much.

Ele: when you mean egg replacer are you talking about frozen product like Scramblers that comes frozen?  

I am going to get everything on Monday and do it and will let you know good or bad and what I can learn from both.

Please pray for me as I make this step because good bread is very hard to get here and many people make their own bread in this town.

Liane  

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2004, 06:10:00 AM »
Dear liane,
Yes I surely will pray.... The Egg replacer is called ENER-G.  Look at my recipes and there are other binders also you can use in place of eggs.  Liane, I never put eggs or replacers in my bread so maybe you don't even need it.  Remember, you can always use ground flax seed and water as a good binder.

Here are a few ideas on what to do with your bread dough instead of making a loaf.

Calzones   (Pizza  baked sandwiches)
Roll out a part of your dough into a rectangle sheet about 1/8 inch thick.
Cut into 6 or 8 squares and fill with:
pizza sauce, chunks of bell pepper, black olives, onions, melting cashew cheese. Fold well closed.  Let rise about 30 minutes. Bake at 350, about 25 min. till golden brown and you have pizza sandwiches for a picnic or going on a trip.

Everyone at potluck will really enjoy this Broccoli bread:

Saute in 2-3 Tbls. of water
   1 onion chopped fine
   1-2 cloves of garlic
   1 head of broccoli cut in small pieces
   Your favorite seasonings.  I add rosemary, and Chicken (Veg) seasoning.

Roll out your dough in a long rectangle.
Drain off any liquid, then put all your vegies on the dough and roll shut, like you would a jelly roll. Set on a cookie sheet, let rise about 30 minutes.  Bake in oven at 350 till golden brown, about 25 -30 minutes.

Machelle, use your cream cheese recipe without the sweet things and add steamed spinach and onions and roll together like a jelly roll.  Delicious served with a meal.
(It will take about 3 bunches of spinach)
Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

[This message has been edited by Ele Holmes (edited 02-15-2004).]

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2004, 06:17:00 AM »
Liane,  Didn't you get a recipe book with your bread machine?  If not write to the company and they in turn should send you one.  I got a Panasonic bread maker to go into my new motor home, whenever I can afford to buy one that is, but my son thought it a good idea to give it to the head of our Immigration Office so we get better service on our work papers and it worked....  (It had a book of recipes in it)

Liane H

Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2004, 06:28:00 AM »
Hi Sister Ele:

Yes the bread maker came with a booklet and it does have recipes in them. They have whole wheat in there as well.

I was looking to use yours. So when I go to the store on Monday I will get what I need which is the egg replacer, the whole wheat flour and the active dry yeast. I am sure that the health food store should carry it the egg replacer, if not I will use my scrambler for this one time until I can get some.

Might as well be brave and go for it.

Liane

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2004, 08:11:00 AM »
Sister Liane, the topic where the discussion regarding bread makers is in the topic Bread Making. You may benefit from reading through it before you attempt your new effort. It was a very difficult process for me.  I pray it will be a blessing for you.  :)

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2004, 05:22:00 PM »
Liane,   I think you ought to listen to what Richard is telling us and check out your book first...The recipes may be the same but again they may not.  Most recipes are pretty close but I only used a bread maker at my friends house a few times, showing her how to do it, reading her book that came with the machine. It came out great but we followed her recipe exactly. Do it exactly how your book says to, then after a few times , when you get good at it, you can do different things in it.   God Bless....I'll be praying for your success.   Ele

[This message has been edited by Ele Holmes (edited 02-15-2004).]

WendyForsyth

Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2004, 09:50:00 PM »
Dear Liane,
The binder/egg replacer that Ele is talking about is a dry powder, not at all like egg scramblers which is egg whites. So maybe it wouldn't work in the bread? I don't know. It just doesn't sound right. But if you go to the health food store, I'm sure they'll have the Ener-G. It comes in a box, kinda like a cereal box.
You've inspired me to get out my bread maker now too! :)

Good luck!
Wendy

I have no doubt that God considers you to be one of His friends; otherwise He would not trust you with so many crosses, sufferings and humiliations. Crosses are God's means of drawing souls closer to Himself.

Fenelon

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2004, 06:49:00 AM »
This morning, it is quite chilly for Baja, so I decided to make Kashi for breakfast.  Maybe some of you do not know what it is....It is a variety of whole grains such as whole wheat berries, pearled barley, millet, oats, rye berries, rice. It takes about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to cook and is so good and nuttty.

Here are some ways to cook whole grains:
1. Dextrinizing:  To improve flavor and shorten boiling time, pour one cup whole grain rice, berries, or barley in a hot, dry Teflon fry pan.  Mix till light brown and till you hear some popping. Then put into salted boiling water as directed.

2. Slow baking in the oven after water is added, for about one or 1 1/2 hours.

3. Crock pot is wonderful for whole grains ss mentioned above.  One cup whole grains to about 3-4 cups water.  Start on high then lower heat to low, leave on all  night.

4. Thermos Cooking, for a picnic, for the beach, or a long trip or just for the morning breakfast made the night before. Put in boiling water than the flakes.

Michelle

Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2004, 04:03:00 AM »
So, Ele, are you telling me you made the cream cheese without the sweet and with the spinach and onions?  Did you roll the cheese in the spinach?  I wasn't quite sure.

Richard--does the red pepper add much taste?  I have two family members who aren't thrilled with peppers of any variety.

Michelle

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2004, 05:28:00 AM »
No, Sister Michelle. The red bell pepper is very mild, not like green bells and they are not hot. "Pepper" is a mis-nomer.

You don't need to use very much for color. One half of a red bell would probably give you the color you are after. They are also very good in stir fry, but there it is not hidden.  :)