Author Topic: Cutting Edge Recipes  (Read 133146 times)

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2003, 04:35:00 PM »
   When I was in the states for a while I use to have people over for dinner often especially on Sabbath.  When a stranger comes into church invite them over.  A neighbor that may need the love of Jesus, invite them over....missionery work starts in the home.

Haystacks was my favorite on Sabbath. A pot of good beans made with garlic, onions, peppers, tomatoes, fresh basil.....
 On a plate put a handful of baked corn chips, cover with about 2 or 3 spoons of beans and then your fresh green salad over that.  The add your favorite dressing or Mexican Salsa.  With the salad I also have a big plate full of fresh vegies, like cherry tomatoes, black olives, carrot strips, califlower, anything else you may have.  It really sets a pretty table with all the color God gave us.
   I serve this with homemade garlic bread. Then spend your afternoon in a Bible study.

Spinach Pasta Toss
   8 oz. hot cooked fetticini, or your
         favorite pasta
   1 clove of minced garlic
   1 small onion sliced into rings
   2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
   2 or 3 bunches washed spinach
   1 carton Better than Cream Cheese
   Salt to taste or veg. chicken seasoning

In large teflon fry pan, saute garlic, onions and spinach cut in smaller pieces, in about 2 or 3 tablespoons of water, till most of the water evaporates, add mushrooms, cook over medium heat for about 3 to 4 minutes,  then add the cream cheese and simmer and stir till cheese melts.  Mix in your pasta  and cook only till warm.  Serve.
For those that are just starting  to be a vegetarian you may want to put a piece of breaded gluten on that plate too, with a small salad. A wonderful meal to have company over.

I do not understand ICQ, cookies, UBB, HTML, homepage???

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2003, 07:55:00 PM »
Years ago us Colporters would get together fairly often. At one of these get togethers is where I first learned about haystakes. What a treat. It is hard to eat "just what you need" when eating them.  :)

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2004, 12:12:00 PM »
If you need a healthy Birthday cake for your children or grand children   Look in this forum under "Different Sugars...."  It is a real joy to make and the children will love it.

Sister Marie

Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2004, 12:58:00 PM »
BAKED APPLES

4 Golden Delicious apples      1/2 C. Water
Chopped dates        1 t. fresh lemon juice
Chopped nuts         1 t. vanilla
Raisins

Pare about 1 inch of peeling off the top of the apples. If apples do not sit straight, cut a thin slice off the bottom. Core and stuff cavity with dates, nuts, and raisins. Place in a casserole dish. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over the apples. Cover and bake at 350 F for 45 minutes or until tender to fork. Top with Whipped Cream, if desired.

Variation: Use Rome Beauty apples and substitute apple juice concentrate for water.

WHIPPED CREAM

1 C. extra-rich, cold  
1/8 t. coconut extract (opt)
2 T. honey or date butter
Pinch salt
2 T. Instant Clear Jel
2 t. vanilla

Blend all ingredients, except Clear Jel, until very smooth. While blending, add the Clear Jel. Continue blending until desired consistency is obtained. Add more Clear Jel, if necessary.

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2004, 08:14:00 AM »
Some find it is very difficult to change their diet. We are creatures of habit. What can we do to win the battle? Our relationship with Jesus is where the power comes from. In addition, there are some things we can do to help us along.

Persons who have indulged their appetite to eat freely of meat, highly seasoned gravies, and various kinds of rich cakes and jams, cannot immediately relish a plain, wholesome, and nutritious diet. Their taste is so perverted they have no appetite for a wholesome diet of fruits, plain bread, and vegetables. They need not expect to relish at first food so different from that which they have been indulging themselves to eat. If they cannot at first enjoy plain food, they should fast until they can. That fast will prove to them of greater benefit than medicine, for the abused stomach will find that rest which it has long needed, and real hunger can be satisfied with a plain diet. It will take time for the taste to recover from the abuses which it has received, and to gain its natural tone. But perseverance in a self-denying course of eating and drinking will soon make plain, wholesome food palatable, and it will soon be eaten with greater satisfaction than the epicure enjoys over his rich dainties.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2004, 09:11:00 AM »
Dear Richard, Such a joy  reading your posts. To the above post, all I can say is AMEN and AMEN!  May God be with us in changing our lifestyle.  I pray we are already vegetarian. Let us pray in song before we start. (Sing it with me)
       "Turn your eyes upon Jesus, Look full in His wonderful face; and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, In the light of His glory and grace."  

The following is taken from Weimar, to be used as a weightloss program.
How do we go about making these changes?  Here is a suggested lifestyle that will improve your physical, mental, and spiritual being.  It will strengthen your immune system, improve diseases you may be living with now, clear your body of excess cholesterol and fat, and enjoy optimum health.    Learn to read all labels.
  The following principles are recommended for your daily lifestyle of delicious foods:

1. Select nutritious, tasty fruits and vegetalbes.   A wide variety of fresh fruits in season.  All greens, especially turip, mustard, collards, kale, broccoli or cabbage.  Use sparingly high oxalate foods such as spinach, chard, and beet greens.

2. Foods that are concentrated, or heavily processed should not be used.  Eat legumes (dried beans, peas, lentils, and garbanzos) Eat whole grains, such as oats, wheat, rice, rye, corn, millet. Eat nuts such as walnuts, pecans, cashews, almonds. Seed such as sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, flax seeds.

3. No animal products, no flesh foods,  No eggs, no dairy products, no white bread, white rice, and no sugar.  

4. Eat unrefined foods, whole grain breads, and cereals sweetened with fruit juice.

5. Eat foods sparingly which contain unsaturated vegetable oil (liquid) and never eat food containing hard fats, (hydrogenated) such as butter, or margerine.  Do not fry foods in oil.  This is important especially if you have heart problems.

6. Eat at regular hours, in a relaxed frame of mind. Do not eat anything between meals. Give your heart a rest.  Do not eat anything after 5 P.M.

7.Drink plenty of water during the day. but not during meals. Wait one hour after a meal.

If you are just starting take it slow, ask God to help you, and turn your eyes upon Jesus.  He has curbed my appitite and I am on my way with a new life.

If I can give you any recipes on foods you enjoy, please let me know. Remember, this will be our lifestyle in heaven, so start now.  May God bless you and keep you nearest to His throne of faith.   Ele Holmes

[This message has been edited by Ele Holmes (edited 04-11-2004).]

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2004, 06:54:00 AM »
Today is a beutiful day for you to practice some vegetarian cooking.

Broccoli Almond Caserole

3 cups cooked brown rice
  4 cups slightly steamed broccoli tops
  3 cups fresh mushrooms
  1 onion chopped
  1/2 cup sliced almonds
  1 Tbls. vegetarian chicken seasoning
  3 cups of cream sauce
Saute onions and mushrooms then combine all ingredients except broccoli and cream sauce, then pour in the cream sauce mix well and gently fold in the broccoli. Put into an 8x8 casserole. Top with another 1/4 cup sliced almonds and 1 cup crushed corn flakes.
Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes.

Cream Sauce:   2 medium size potatoes
                well cooked
              2 cups water
              1/2 cup or more cashews
              1/2 tsp garlic powder
              1/2 or 1 tsp salt
Blend well.

Macaroni and Cheese

Cook elbow macaroni to make 3 cups.
Blend:   1/2 cup hot water
        1/2 cup cashews rinsed
Add:     1/4 red pepper for color
        1/2 cup nutritional yeast
        1/2 tsp garlic powder
        1 tsp. salt
Slowly add:  1/2 cup lemon juice
Blend all ing. well.  Pour over macaroni.
You may add black olives, or frozen peas.
Bake at 350  for 30 min.  

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2004, 11:36:00 AM »
My cooking class really enjoyed this pasta recipe, I sure hope you do too.

Vegetable Stroganoff

Steam slightly till crisp tender:    
   3 c. sliced 1/8 fresh broccoli flowers
   1 large carrot sliced thin also.
Cover with water for about 1 hour:
   2/3 cup dry soy curls or TVP,
Or use gluten pieces or canned veg. meats
In large skillet saute:
   1/4 cup water or 2 T. Olive oil
   2 cloves minced garlic
   1 cup chopped onions
   5 or 6 cups sliced mushrooms
   1 Tbl. Veg chicken seaoning
   1/2 sliced green pepper opt.
Add your vegetarian soy curls or gluten
In Blender blend till smooth then cook till thick:
   3 1/2 Tbls. arrowroot or cornstarch
         or 3 Tbls W.W. flour
   3 cups soy milk
   2 Tbl. soy sauce unfermented
Add to vegies and then add 1 cup sour cream  
Stir until heated through. Do not boil.
Serve over brown rice or Whole grain fettucini or noodles.   Delicious!

Sunflower Sour Cream
   1 1/4 cup water
   1 cup sunflower seeds
   1 tsp. salt
   1 tsp. onion powder
   1/2 tsp. garlic powder
   1/3 cup lemon juice
Blend for 2 to 3 minutes.

Sister Marie

Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2004, 12:13:00 PM »
I tried your Broccoli Almond Caserole today for a get together tonight and it turned out so good. Thank you for such wonderful recipies Ele.  :)

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2004, 02:46:00 PM »
Marie,  
   Thank you so much for your response.  You made my day!  I have been waiting for some to try my recipes or yours too, so we can  know to print more. Even if you don't like one tell me, that wouldn't bother me. I want to hear from you. Maybe you are just starting on the road to vegetarianism. It takes time to adjust. Jesus also is waiting to hear from us....I thank Him so much for all the good food he has given us, so we can all be healthier and brighter than the days, and more understanding of His word. Come, Jesus says, let us reason together. Thank you, and thank the Lord also. Love in Jesus, Ele

[This message has been edited by Ele Holmes (edited 01-16-2004).]

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2004, 06:50:00 PM »
Dear Ele, the recipies are great!  It is such a blessing to find such that are so delicious and healthy.

Don't wait for comments. Many read, but do  not post.  :( It is the nature of the format. Like talk radio, many like to read, but don't post.

BTW, the peppers Ele is using are not hot peppers, but bell peppers, both red and green. Red bell (sweet)peppers are very good for cooking. They can be used as a substitute for pimentos. Buy them in season. They are a lot cheaper. Cook them, peel them, and then freeze for future use.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2004, 10:36:00 AM »
How about a few deserts, even the children  will enjoy.  The first recipe was just given to me by a dear friend and I made it yesterday.  Had waffles this morning and put the Moose right on top of it.

CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
Put in blender:
   1/2 cup rinsed cashews
   6 large dates
   1 Tbls. arrowroot or cornstarch
   1 Tbls. Emes gelatin
   1 tsp. vanilla
   2 cups water
Blend for 10 minutes. Then on stove, bring just to a boil, stirring constantly.
Put in blender:
   1 box Mori-Nu Tofu
   1/2 cup carob chips
   1 to 2 Tbls. honey
Blend briefly. Slowly add one-half of hot cashew cream to blender, blend well, Add remainder of hot cashew cream and blend well.
Set in refrigerator 5 or 8 hours. Serves 4-6
I made a second batch with a box of Emes cherry gelatin instead of the carob chips, and added 1/4 tsp almond extract. Very good.

You want an easy waffle recipe.....this one couldn't be any easier....

Waffles
Blend: 3 cups regular oatmeal
      3 cups water or apple juice
Sit about 5 minutes and then bake.

APPLE  BURRITOS
(Make your own Whole Wheat Tortillas)
   5 or 6 sliced apples
   1/3 cup water
   1/8 tsp. Maple flavor
   1 tsp vanilla
Cook till soft then wrap in flour tortillas, Place in baking dish seam side down. Pour sauce over top and bake 350 for 20 minutes.
Sprinkle with coconut and serve.

SAUCE
   5 cups appple juice
   3 cups pineapple juice
   4 Tbl arrowroot in 1/4 cup cold water.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2004, 10:44:00 AM »
Richard,
   Wonderful idea for my red peppers.  I will freeze them.  
   Please don't get me wrong about wanting everyone to post on my recipes, it doesn't matter if they like them or not....I just pray and glory in the Lord when I know they are a vegetarian and getting into practice for the menu in heaven.  Thank you Richard for your help.

[This message has been edited by Ele Holmes (edited 01-16-2004).]

Liane H

• http://
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2004, 05:49:00 AM »
Fasting is a good thing for the body. It is  the best recipe to help in cleansing and rest for the organs and mind.

For those of us that are dealing with lifestyle changes and health issues one must know how to fast so that problems do not occur.

From the Book Diabetes & The hypoglycemic Syndrom by Agatha & Calvin Thrash, MD's is a simple guideline in fasting:

"Fasting was discussed in Chapter Two. An easy method of fasting is repeated here. Fasting is a benefical way to gain appetite control, help accustom yourself to the tastes of different foods, restore function of insulin receptors and to help lose weight.

Fasting can be done easily by omitting supper on day one and all meals on day two. On day three, the fast can be broken by eating one-quarter the size of the usual breakfast, one half the usual lunch and not supper. On day four, three-quarters of the usual breakfast can be eaten. Lunch on day four will be the first full meal after the fast. Spend as many days breaking the fast as were spent in the fast."

For those of us with medical issues a single day fast is safe and helpful for both physical and spiritual healing.

Liane

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2004, 06:14:00 AM »
Amen Lianne....I agree.  Dr. Agatha also states that fasting one day a week is a very healthy habit. I try to fast on Sabbath.  Friday I stop eating after a healthy lunch at noon, till noon on Sabbath. It makes it a little easier.  I use to fast much but it becomes harder and harder for me.  Fasting is so healthy for us.  It gives our heart a rest also.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2004, 07:13:00 AM »
Here's another tasty recipe for today.... You can make meatballs for spaghetti or put them in a cream sauce and serve over noodles or make hamburger patties out of this recipe.

FALAFELS (Easy to make)
   1 can Garbanzo beans
   1/4 cup gluten flour
   1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
   1 tsp cumin (opt)
   2 tsp chicken seasoning (Veg)
   1 onion chopped
   1/3 cup ground walnuts
Mash garbanzos with a fork and mix in all ingredients with the garbanzo liquid. Form into balls about the size of walnuts, or try the patties. Place on a non-stick cooky sheet and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2004, 07:39:00 AM »
That sounds like a great recipe, Sister Ele!

Garbonzo beans are our favorite. I love the broth when they are cooked with onions. We serve them over whole grain rice.  For those who have not cooked them, they need longer cooking time. Make sure you soak them overnite. We use them as a seasoning agent for gravies and dressings. Just a little bit will add a nice flavor to recipies.

Next time garbonzos are cooked, save a few small packets and freeze them for seasoning agents.

What is the secret to seasoning?  Very small amounts.  :)

Sister Marie

Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2004, 07:55:00 AM »
Beans are so good on top of salads also.

HAYSTACK COOKIES

2 c PITTED DATES    1 c CHOPPED NUTS
1 C raisins        
3/4 C barley/wheat pastry flour
3/4 C pineapple /orange juice
3 C unsweetened shredded coconut
1/3 C rolled oats      1/2 t salt

Blend dates, raisins, and juice until smooth. Add to remaining ingredients and mix LIGHTLY. Drop onto ungreased cookie sheets with small ice cream scoop. Bake at 325 F for 20-25 minutes, or until browned.
===================

With Christian Love,
Marie

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2004, 05:02:00 PM »
Richard, What a good  idea, freezing the garbanzo beans after cooking a bunch; then I don't have to buy them in a can.  It takes so long to cook them.  I have used them in the onion gravy recipe by Newstart. In the Falafel recipe, I like the patties better then the balls.  They are so tasty, like you said.  Do you have a good Hummus recipe?

Sister Marie,  I like coconut very much, and Haystack cookies...Thank you and I will try your recipe tomorrow.  For the last couple of years I have been trying to write a cook book.  I have a lot done....May I use your recipes in my book, using your name. Give me more recipes.  Thank you and God bless you....Love in Jesus, Ele

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2004, 08:50:00 AM »
Richard, have you tried "Garbanzo a la King" for breakfast on toast, or for lunch on rice or noodles. This is an oldie which I have always enjoyed.

GARBANZOS A LA KING
Saute in teflon fry pan with 1/4 cup water:
   1 small onion chopped fine.
   2 cloves garlic (opt)
   1 cup chopped celery
   1 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms sliced
   1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper.
Blend until smooth:
   2/3 cup rinsed raw cashews
   1 cup warm water
Then add to cashews in blender:
   1 onion quartered
   1/4 cup whole wheat flour
   2 more cups  water
   1 tbls. chicken seasoning vegetarian
And blend till smooth.
Combine above ingredients with simmering vegetables, bring to a boil stirring frequently until thickened, then stir in:
   2 cups cooked garbanzos
   1 1/2 cups frozen peas
Serve over toast, rice or noodles.