Author Topic: Cutting Edge Recipes  (Read 133144 times)

Dorine

Re: Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #280 on: August 07, 2011, 06:53:36 PM »
Jim, Good question. I've never tried substituting the cashews. They give the soup that creamy texture that you get when using milk or cream. Maybe someone else would have a suggestion for something that would give the same texture or close to it. They also add a nice flavour. They are expensive here too. We buy them in bulk which helps a bit. Maybe you could try adding soy milk instead of the water and cashews.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Vicki

« Reply #281 on: August 07, 2011, 07:53:07 PM »
Years ago I made cream based soups with tofu. I don't know if I could find the recipe. Perhaps someone else has a tofu base cream soup recipe to share? In the mean time, I'll try to remember where to find it.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #282 on: August 07, 2011, 09:49:18 PM »
I have posted a recipe for a base for gravy, sandwich spread, and salad dressing using cashews.  Because of the expense, God has told us that He will give us wisdom to prepare healthful inexpensive dishes. So, I am always looking for ways to help those we are teaching health principles. And....it is to the point where the nuts have become so expensive that we are not using many.  A good substitute for my base recipe are  raw sunflower seeds.  They are many times cheaper than nuts. They are healthy and do well in most recipes. They are not as good, but I am quite happy with the seeds.  Sometimes I will lightly toast them for more flavor. In a cream soup, I think that soy or almond milk would be a good addition to give the creamy flavor.  I make a creme of broccoli soup that has cauliflower in it. It adds a lot to the flavor. I don't recall putting either seeds or soy milk in it.  I use a lot of onion. 
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #283 on: August 08, 2011, 03:35:23 AM »
     My point is that I believe, generally, a converted, sincere, SDA can make dramatic health changes over night with a little common sense. Now if we are "worldly, self indulgent patients" no doubt is would necessitate moving more slowly.

The above is a quote but I haven't learned how to properly insert quotes yet.

15 years ago my husband and I attended Wisconsin Campmeeting and listened to a message on health. We were both convicted to drastically change our dietary habits. We were 'heavy' meat eaters at the time but vegetarians on Sabbath. The Holy Spirit was working on our hearts and we decided we were going to do this 'cold turkey' or we wouldn't do it at all. Our attitude was 'whether we live or die' we are going to follow God's plan for our lives. We went home and threw out everything that was the least bit harmful to us. What a thrilling adventure it was. We had almost instant health benefits. The Lord baptized our taste buds and we enjoyed everything we tried. I'm sure attitude has a lot to do with the way our body adjusts and when we surrender it to God He will bless us abundantly.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #284 on: August 08, 2011, 05:02:04 AM »
Amen and Praise the Lord, Dorine. I did it the same way, too. The light comes, we accept it and change. 
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Vicki

« Reply #285 on: August 08, 2011, 06:24:59 AM »
Jim, I found the recipe last night but it has tofu and cashews and a bunch of oil. Not worth the expense or the calories.

Dorine

« Reply #286 on: August 08, 2011, 06:36:42 AM »
Richard that cream of broccoli soup sounds good. Have you posted it somewhere? We love soups in the wintertime.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #287 on: August 08, 2011, 06:49:40 AM »
I don't do the cooking, so I have not made it but a few times in the last five years.  I don't have a recipe for it. I think that if you use cauliflower for the base, you will have fun. Cook the cauliflower then blend it with water and cook with an onion, salt to taste. You can add whatever you like to add for flavor. I don't recall adding anything except the broccoli. After the cauliflower soup is cooked and ready to eat, you then add cooked broccoli and simmer for a half hour prior to serving. If you want to experiment which is what God would have you do, add a little soy milk to the base.  I have always been satisfied with the base as is. What happens is a delicate flavor of the broccoli pervades the base. If you were to cook the broccoli in the soup for too long, it would be too strong.  It would be like a green drink. :(    The base soup is rich. The broccoli adds delicate flavor and gives the soup its color and b vitamins.  Try it before you experiment.  Take out a couple of bowls before adding the milk or other herbs.  I think you will enjoy it in its simplicity. But, experiment away. The cauliflower base was new to me. We have used it in a sweet and sour gravy for rice. It is an interesting vegetable that few use in recipes, but it would be good to find more uses for it. Most do not use it as we ought to.

Dorine, thanks for sharing your testimony of the conviction and blessings that followed. God's ways are best. He loves us and wants us to be in good health that we may serve Him well. We are His witnesses of His perfect ways.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #288 on: August 08, 2011, 07:23:27 AM »
Thank you Richard. I've got to try this and I do agree with you that cauliflower is a very overlooked vegetable. I rarely use it and I don't know why because we both like it.

Vicki

« Reply #289 on: August 08, 2011, 08:42:32 AM »
I haven't bought cauliflower for awhile because of the price. But, when I think about the cost of nut soup bases this would be cheaper & healthier. I have also heard it is tasty to mash like potatoes. Time to experiment with cauliflower!

colporteur

« Reply #290 on: December 25, 2012, 10:13:34 AM »
     Alfredo Tofu Pasta Sauce

12. 0 oz------------------- package soft  MORI-NU tofu (non GMO)

3/4 cup-------------------- water or soymlk

2-5 cloves---------------- garlic

1 1/2 TBS.---------------  coconut, grapeseed, or olive oil

4-5 TBS.-----------------  nutritional yeast

1 1/2 tsp.----------------- sea salt

1 1/2 tsp.----------------- onion powder

1 1/2 tsp.----------------- basil

1 1/2 TBS.--------------- dried parsley

Directions:

blend on low or process in food processor.

Warm in pan over medium heat. Be care not to boil and curdle

Serve over hot pasta of your choice.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #291 on: May 12, 2013, 09:21:43 AM »
Lemon Pie

1 can pineapple juice concentrate
2 cans of water
juice of 1 lemon
zest of 1 lemon  (scraped peel from the lemon) no white, just the yellow zest. It has the lemon flavor. zest from 2 lemons is even better. You can purchase a zest scraper, or just use the edge of a knife.
1/4 cup corn starch or arrow root
1 pie crust

blend juices with water, zest, and corn starch.
cook mix until it begins to jell
Cool mix and pour into cooked pie shell
Cool in refrigerator until set up

(I corrected the amount of water)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #292 on: May 12, 2013, 03:46:01 PM »
I think you people have my address. I'd like one of those pies, please.  ;D

Sister Dee

« Reply #293 on: May 13, 2013, 07:34:12 AM »
Oh, Mimi!  I tried a similar recipe a couple of months ago.  If only I had known, I'd have bounced a piece up to you!   :D  My pie turned out way too firm.  The kids thought it was great though.   ::)  Now with Richard's help, I see what probably went wrong and will try again sometime.  When I get it right, I'll have to bring you one!    ;)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #294 on: May 13, 2013, 07:42:40 AM »
I had to correct the amount of water in the above recipe.  I am sure it is supposed to be 2 cans. Usually you would reconstitute with 3 cans, but in order to keep the pie sweet without other sweetners, I only use two cans of water.  I am sure that with one can of water, the pie could bounce all the way to you, Sybil.  :)

We are told if we will take the matter of our cooking seriously, the Lord will help us create healthful meals that are delicious. I did, and He did!  :)  At first I would write the recipes down, then after awhile there was no need for them. But, I have not been cooking for many years, so little mistakes like missing a can of water would lead to bouncing pies.  :( But, no harm is done by experimenting. It is how new dishes are created. This is an important part of our ministry to family and friends. It is the "right arm" that opens the door to the gospel message.

Vicki

« Reply #295 on: May 13, 2013, 12:56:20 PM »
This must be why that can of pineapple juice is still in the freezer and we have an over-abundance of lemons. Mimi, come for a visit tomorrow.   :-*

Vicki

« Reply #296 on: May 13, 2013, 01:08:03 PM »
Breakfast this morning:

Raw Buckwheat Porridge

2 cups raw Buckwheat Groats (Rinse thoroughly.)
4 cups water
1.5 cups non-dairy Milk
2 Tbsp Chia seeds
1/4 cup agave nectar
Pinch of sea salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp coriander (optional)

Directions:

1. In a bowl or jar, pour 2 cups of raw buckwheat groats and 4 cups of water. Soak overnight. After soaking, rinse well in a strainer several times.

2. Place all but 1/2 cup buckwheat groats in food processor or blender, along with the almond milk, chia seeds, agave, coriander and vanilla. Process until combined and slightly smooth. Stir in the extra buckwheat.

3. Scoop into bowls or parfait glasses and add your desired toppings & mix-ins. Serve immediately cold. Makes 4, 1 cup servings.

Optional Toppings: berries, chopped fruit or dried fruit, chopped nuts, seeds, nut butter, coconut, ground flax seed.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #297 on: May 13, 2013, 03:27:10 PM »
Bless you and thank you! I need to make a new batch of pie crusts for the freezer and do my best on this lemon pie. It is a nice, simple recipe.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #298 on: September 05, 2013, 11:14:26 AM »
Often we do not need a recipe. We need to eat more of our food raw. Do you like a home grown tomato with avocado on whole wheat bread?

Not only does it taste good, but it makes healthy blood.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #299 on: October 31, 2016, 09:31:26 AM »
Just made a sauce for my kale out of almonds.  Usually they are too expensive, but by God's grace I had some extra almonds and ground them up in the blender with some water and salt and a little lemon. Cooked my kale then soaked it in the sauce. They were really good!!  Toasted sunflower seeds work for a sauce also.