Author Topic: Cutting Edge Recipes  (Read 133136 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #200 on: November 12, 2008, 05:03:37 AM »
I can see that my frugality is not shared. :(  So, I have been planning how to save you sisters some money without getting your hands in the water!  I am going to try and rinse the flour ball in my bread maker. Necessity is the mother of invention!!  If this works, then it will cut the 1/2 hour off my time.  :)  Stay tuned, but don't hold your breath!!  And, I am not holding my breath!  It is a long shot. But, God blesses our desire to be both healthy and frugal. Many cannot afford the concentrated gluten.

Oh, I'm frugal, dear Richard. It is a necessity. I just traded one expense for another. And it is not that I don't want my hands in water either. Gluten flour is something I wanted to experience. So far, it is proving to be too rubbery.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Sister Dee

« Reply #201 on: November 12, 2008, 07:14:30 AM »
I can see that my frugality is not shared. :(  So, I have been planning how to save you sisters some money without getting your hands in the water!  I am going to try and rinse the flour ball in my bread maker. Necessity is the mother of invention!!  If this works, then it will cut the 1/2 hour off my time.  :)  Stay tuned, but don't hold your breath!!  And, I am not holding my breath!  It is a long shot. But, God blesses our desire to be both healthy and frugal. Many cannot afford the concentrated gluten.

Oh, I'm frugal, dear Richard. It is a necessity. I just traded one expense for another. And it is not that I don't want my hands in water either. Gluten flour is something I wanted to experience. So far, it is proving to be too rubbery.

Rubbery?   :o  What kind of recipe did you use?  I haven't tried this yet.  I'm still trying to get up the nerve!   :D
If I end up not liking this, I'll just use the gluten flour in some bread recipes. 

Please, Brother Richard!  I am trying to be frugal.  I'm trying to save water!  (And time!)   :)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #202 on: November 12, 2008, 07:21:15 AM »
A sister told me I need to add more regular flour to the gluten to take out some of the rubber-type texture, so that is what I'll do.

Her mixture is 2 cups of gluten to 1/4 cup of regular flour, adding enough water to make it a flour ball. I did that but it is still too rubbery. So the regular flour amount will need to be increased. Trouble is, I have four batches of it (first try) already in the freezer - which brings up another question: does freezing it change its texture? It changes tofu.

Experimentation!

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #203 on: March 09, 2009, 05:36:06 PM »
When we began this topic, I began it with this post. Some may not have read the whole thread, so I re-post this in order that all will understand the intent of this topic. It is to help those who want to prepare delicious, yet healthful meals for their families. We have all been to homes or potlucks where there have been dishes that contain harmful ingredients. We have a burden to not do that to our members here. We do not wish to offend anyone by telling them what they prepare is unhealthful. So, we have asked that only those who are knowledgeable in this area present recipes. Some are new to the faith and we know they are still learning. Is this fair?  Here was my first post that began the thread:

We all have our favorite recipes. Some are healthier than others. Some may not be healthy at all. It is a difficult matter to present such things in the manner we are trying. We began once before and ceased. There needs to be some ground rules if we are to help medical missionary evangelism. Remember that Satan is most successful with temptations that involve the appetite.  We have clear testimony on this subject and have no desire to enter in controversy over it.

There are numerous other boards where one can go to suit their personal tastes. Here we want to encourage healing of both the body and the mind. If there is a burning desire to present a recipe and you are not sure that it is one that will help medical ministry, then by all means run it by someone who is well trained in the area first.  For the most part, let us seek recipes from those that are actively involved in the medical missionary work. As an example of the kind of work I am speaking of: Those trained by Uchie Pines or Weimar. There are others that will follow the same basic principles.

The purpose of this topic is to encourage our members to make healthy changes in their diets and the diets of their families. There are not many principles involved and they can be learned quickly. But, we want to follow all of the light that we have when it comes to recommending recipes for others to follow. This if different than telling others what they need to eat. We are asking that all refrain from using this topic as a cause for others to stumble. If you are not comfortable in health reform, then please do not post recipes. We want the very best for our families and friends. If you find a recipe here that you like very much, please let us know.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #204 on: March 09, 2009, 06:39:37 PM »
Noted.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #205 on: March 10, 2009, 07:10:14 AM »
We believe in the practice of slowly educating those who desire to learn. So, since we began this Healtful Living Forum around nine years ago, we feel it is time that we can share a new thought. A new thought for some. :)

Did you know that baking soda will clean your battery terminals? It works very well when mixed with water.

But, some do not know that baking soda, even the kind without aluminum will also use its harsh action to destroy the lining of the stomach. The last thing that one wants to drink with an ulcer is baking soda. It will not heal an ulcer, but make it worse.

Therefore, we do not include in our recipes any baking soda or baking powder. Has this created a problem in my kitchen? No. I seldom bake goodies that require baking soda. I guess the only time I found myself in a quandary was when my children had their first birthday after I learned about the dangers of baking soda. I wanted to cook a birthday cake, but did not know how to make it rise. I prayed about it and found that if I used my round waffle makers and added a sweetner to the waffle mix, I could layer the sweet waffles with carob frosting and it would work. It did and that was the last time I needed something in the place of baking soda.

Friends bake corn bread and will cook with yeast when they want a cake or muffins to rise. It then needs to be well cooked and eaten a day or two after baking. Hopes this encourages some that God loves us and wants us to prosper and be in good health. He does not leave us ignorant of the laws of our being.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Immanuel

• Senior Moderator
  • Jesus is My Judge
    • Emmanuel Institute of Evangelism
« Reply #206 on: March 10, 2009, 07:17:18 AM »
How about hydrogen peroxide in place of baking soda?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #207 on: March 10, 2009, 07:33:16 AM »
I hear it works and also calcium carbonate.  I don't know the health concerns. I don't need the rising for what I cook. I use yeast for bread. Someone will have to do some research on these products. I know that some use baking soda without aluminum and think it is ok. But, it is not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #208 on: March 12, 2009, 10:32:03 PM »
We have been given much light regarding how to remain healthy and even how to restore our health if sick. In addition to the light given many years ago in Scripture and in the Spirit of Prophecy, we have faithful institutions that have worked in this field. We have suggested that our members avail themselves of this information. Uchee Pines is very good and I would suggest that when there are questions that we cannot answer here that you contact them or Weimar or one of the other ministries that work in this area. They may have done research that we have not yet seen. It is better to seek intelligent help rather than to trust in our own ideas or that of the world. Many, many practices in the area of health reform in the world are not correct. Yet, they have come into the church. God will not leave us without help. Make this area of life a matter of prayer and God will lead you day by day. He wants us to prosper and be in good health.

Lucia

• I know in Whom I have believed
« Reply #209 on: March 17, 2009, 10:30:46 AM »
I would like to know what kind of recipes people would like to have shared here. I have been working in this area of health education for many years and have a lot of healthy recipes to share to follow counsel, but would like to know what kind of recipes people are looking for, or what kind of dishes they would like a healthier way to prepare. I noted the comment above and appreciate it very much. Thanks.
“We are in the day of atonement, and we are to work in harmony with Christ’s work of cleansing the sanctuary from the sins of the people. Let no man who desires to be found with the wedding garment on, resist our Lord in His office work.  As He is, so will His followers be in this world. RH1-21-1890

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #210 on: March 18, 2009, 07:22:20 AM »
Just what we need!  :)   New ideas for our families that are healthy and delicious. God has something better for us than what the world offers. One thing I have been experimenting with is a sandwich spread like mayonaise. I need a substitute for eggs that will work in mayo. Any ideas?  Now I use a cashew spread that is runny rather than a mayo consistency.

Lucia

« Reply #211 on: March 21, 2009, 07:22:43 PM »
Here is my favorite mayo recipe - it is thick and great for sandwich spreads, thinned for salad dressing, or add some vegetable season salt to make a great vegetable dip. The only ingredient you might not have on hand is the Soy Supreme milk powder. The only supplier I know of is Country Life Natural Foods (www.clnf.org) but I recommend going to the trouble to get it as it's only ingredient is soy beans (if you use it to make milk you have to add your own sweetener, vanilla, salt, and oil to taste) and it is cheaper by far than any other soy milk powder I know of (that should cheer your frugal heart, Richard :) )
Here is the recipe:
Eggless Mayonnaise 

1 c. Water
½ c. Packed soy milk or soy supreme pwd. (Plain flavor only)
1 t. Onion pwd.
3 t. Garlic pwd.
3  t. Vegetable Season Salt
½  t. Chicken-style seasoning
1/3  c. Oil or so

Blend all ingredients except oil on high speed. When well mixed, dribble in the oil slowly until hole in the middle closes. (The slower you add oil, the less it takes to thicken it.)

1/4 c. Lemon juice in a bowl

Add blended mixture to lemon juice and fold lemon juice in with spatula. Chill.
Yield: 2 cups
Serving Suggestions: May replace sour cream in many recipes.
   Use to top baked potatoes
   Add to mashed potatoes for creaminess
   Use on tacos, burritos, haystacks, as topping.
   Use on Russian beet soup (borscht)

I really like to use my homemade chicken style seasoning and season salt in this and many other recipes, so I always keep the following two herb blends on hand -
Chick-it Seasoning

Place in blender:
1 ½ c. nutritional yeast flakes
½ c. salt
1 ½ tsp. turmeric
3 tsp. garlic pwd.
1½ tsp. marjoram
1½ tsp. sage
3 Tb. Parsley flakes

Blend briefly to mix well. Allow powders to settle in blender a few minutes before opening. Store mixture in airtight jar in refrigerator. (both recipes are Adapted from Guiltfree Gourmet by Vicki Griffin)

Seasoned Eatin’s – vegetable salt

1 c.   nutritional yeast flakes
¾ c.   salt
¾ t   oregano
¾  t.   garlic pwd.
1 ½ t.   onion pwd.
6 T.   parsley flakes
¾ t.   basil
3/8 t.   dill weed
¾ t.   sage

Blend thoroughly to powder-like consistency. Keep in tightly covered jars.

“We are in the day of atonement, and we are to work in harmony with Christ’s work of cleansing the sanctuary from the sins of the people. Let no man who desires to be found with the wedding garment on, resist our Lord in His office work.  As He is, so will His followers be in this world. RH1-21-1890

colporteur

« Reply #212 on: March 22, 2009, 08:36:46 AM »

I have used this a couple of times and it worked well though it seemed like an odd way to cook. I have heard that it is ok in terms of health but have done no research on it.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #213 on: March 22, 2009, 08:43:17 AM »

I have used this a couple of times and it worked well though it seemed like an odd way to cook. I have heard that it is ok in terms of health but have done no research on it.

It dissipates in the cooking process, so I don't think it would be a problem.  The problem is getting food grade H202.  We don't many requests for it, but it is not that easy to find, either.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #214 on: March 22, 2009, 09:20:20 AM »
I have heard that it is ok in terms of health but have done no research on it.

Not long ago I had a discussion with someone who believed that injesting H202 by taking it in through the nose was wonderful way to get oxygen to the cells in concentrated quantity and thereby giving the body a wonderful boost in it's defense against harmful organisms and a boost in the healing process. This seemed really odd to me so I contacted a chemist friend of mine. I told him why I was asking and his reply was that he would never injest this stuff because eventually it would start to eat at your DNA. Please don't expect me to explain how as I didn't understand the process of the chemical reaction when he explained it to me.

However, in cooking it may be different. Because a lot of times in heating a chemical will change (better or worse) into another one or as brother Wally said will dissipate and/or both
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #215 on: March 22, 2009, 07:04:08 PM »

It dissipates in the cooking process, so I don't think it would be a problem.  The problem is getting food grade H202.  We don't many requests for it, but it is not that easy to find, either.

Most never consider the dangers that may be associated with introducing non food grade substances into their bodies. Today, because of the dangers associated with animal products, more care needs to be taken when putting things into our mouths.

Another example where care needs to be taken is with charcoal. Who knows what some charcoal may be made from. If it is to be taken internally, then it needs to be certified USP.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #216 on: March 22, 2009, 07:10:26 PM »
Thank you, Sister Lucia!  I can't wait to try the mayo and the seasonings.

Do you know why the oil causes the mix to thicken?

Lucia

« Reply #217 on: March 23, 2009, 04:00:53 PM »
Re: Do you know why the oil causes the mix to thicken?

As the blender whirls at high speed, the oil and water create an emulsion which is thicker than either substance alone. If I understand correctly, when you fold in the lemon juice it creates a colloid which holds the molecules in suspension for a prolonged period. This colloid is what gives mayo its characteristic thickness and smooth texture. (The raw eggs and milk have similar chemistry)

Linda K

• Wordkeeping
« Reply #218 on: March 23, 2009, 05:29:36 PM »
I'm really happy that I found something super nutritious that my toddlers ate with delight, enjoying every bite! This is a waffle recipe and here are the ingredients:

1/2 cup sunflower seeds, raw
1/2 cup wheat berries, soaked
1/2 cup barley, soaked
1/2 cup garbanzos, soaked
1/2 cup lentils, soaked
1/2 cup brown rice, soaked
1 cup oats
1 t salt
3 cups fresh carrot juice

Soak the grains overnight. (You could use any combination of grains/legumes.) Blend together (Vita-Mix works best) until totally blended. Pour into hot waffle iron (spray with cooking spray) and wait until most of the steam stops rising. Makes hearty, nutritious waffles!

They turned out wonderful and, like I say, the kids ate them up!

Lucia

« Reply #219 on: March 24, 2009, 06:01:15 PM »
That's definitely a unique recipe for waffles - Each of the ingredients is definitely healthy, but I have a question about the combination - 4 grains and 2 legumes plus a vegetable and seeds in a single dish can be difficult for some people to digest. Especially if you put a topping on top of that. There is no question that this is a great improvement on the traditional eggs and white flour variety of waffle, or the commercial Eggo-type waffle.

I have personally shied away from dishes that  combine too many types of things due to the following counsel - (I would be interested in other people's thoughts on this):
It is the duty of the physician to see that wholesome food is provided, and it should be prepared in a way that will not create disturbances in the human organism. A great variety of foods should not be taken at one meal; for they create disturbances in the stomach, injure the digestive organs, and impair the brain nerve power so that it cannot discern the sacred from the common. {7MR 307.2}

In this country in the fruit season what an abundance of fruit there is of every description. Yet the variety of foods which are eaten at one meal often make a cesspool of the stomach.--Letter 157, 1900, p. 6. (To Brethren Farnsworth, Robinson, Starr, Palmer, Carr, and Sharp," December 12, 1900.) {5MR 65.2}

Here is a suggestion for all whose work is sedentary or chiefly mental; let those who have sufficient moral courage and self-control try it. At each meal take only two or three kinds of simple food, and eat no more than is required to satisfy hunger. {TSDF 17.8}

Many are made sick by the indulgence of appetite. . . . So many varieties are introduced into the stomach that fermentation is the result. This condition brings on acute disease, and death frequently follows. {TSDF 17.13}

It would be better to eat only two or three different kinds of food at each meal than to load the stomach with many varieties. {TSDF 17.16}

There should not be many kinds at any one meal, but all meals should not be composed of the same kinds of food without variation. Food should be prepared with simplicity, yet with nicety which will invite the appetite. {TSDF 17.2}

I only share these because I think we are all trying to learn from each other and grow.

Next I'll post another simple/healthful/tasty waffle you might also want to try.