Author Topic: Cutting Edge Recipes  (Read 133139 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Cutting Edge Recipes
« on: July 26, 2003, 01:25:00 PM »
We all have our favorite recipes. Some are healthier than others. Some may not be healthy at all. It is a difficult matter to present such things in the manner we are trying. We began once before and ceased. There needs to be some ground rules if we are to help medical missionary evangelism. Remember that Satan is most successful with temptations that involve the appetite.  We have clear testimony on this subject and have no desire to enter in controversy over it.

There are numerous other boards where one can go to suit their personal tastes. Here we want to encourage healing of both the body and the mind. If there is a burning desire to present a recipe and you are not sure that it is one that will help medical ministry, then by all means run it by someone who is well trained in the area first.

For the most part, let us seek recipes from those that are actively involved in the medical missionary work. As an example of the kind of work I am speaking of: Those trained by Uchie Pines or Weimar. There are others that will follow the same basic principles.

The purpose of this topic is to encourage our members to make healthy changes in their diets and the diets of their families.

There are not many principles involved and they can be learned quickly. But, we want to follow all of the light that we have when it comes to recommending recipes for others to follow. This if different than telling others what they need to eat. We are asking that all refrain from using this topic as a cause for others to stumble. If you are not comfortable in health reform, then please do not post recipes. We want the very best for our families and friends. If you find a recipe here that you like very much, please let us know.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 01:47:00 PM »
       I just came back from Canoa Wellness Center, near our SDA Hospital, and school in Montemorelos, which is in Monterey, Mexico.  What a place of miracles.  I lost another 22 pounds.  But let me tell you now why I am writing this.  Richard mentioned recipes......I would love to share many of my healthy eating habits.  I would like to start on the menu I had at Canoa. You want to lose weight, this will do it.  Only two meals per day but a lot of it Hans Diehl would say and still lose weight....
    Breakfast: Large bowl of only one kind of fruit, 2 or 3 apples, or watermelon, or papaya, or grapes, or pears, or cantelope.   (If you are not over weight a wonderful whole grain bowl of cooked cereal and whole grain toast with Almond butter.)
     Herb teas and at least 8 glasses of water per day but not at meals.
    Lunch: three different portions of vegies, such as chopped broccoli and cauliflower, mixed with a salad dressing.

CHEESE SAUCE
Blend Well:
 1 cup rinsed cashews      1 cup water
 2 T. Tahini               3 T. yeast flakes
 2 tsp. onion powder         Salt to taste
 2 T lemon juice
     You can stuff cucumbers with the chopped broccoli and cauliflower and cheese sauce also.

Another delicious raw vegie dish is
2 grated carrots    1 cup grated jicama  
½ cup walnuts       3/4  cup raisins

FAVORITE DRESSING FOR SALADS
A wonderful dressing for any salad:  
1 avocado          Juice of one lemon      1  clove garlic      Cilantro opt.
1 small tomato     ½ green pepper
½ box Mori-Nu tofu   Salt to taste

Red and white cabbage chopped like cole slaw.  Use a tomato, cilantro and celery blended as a dressing.

Steam small zuchinis, clean out the inside and stuff with br. rice and raw vegies, Ad the cheese sauce on top.  BAKE TILL WARM    

[This message has been edited by Ele Holmes (edited 01-16-2004).]

I do not understand ICQ, cookies, UBB, HTML, homepage???

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 09:54:00 PM »
Sounds great Sister Ele! Glad to hear that God is leading in your life!  :)

As we post these healthy recipes, it might be good to do a little education along the way. As I said in my original post, there are not many principles for healty eating, only a few. I like your comment that we can eat healthy food, but too much of it and it will indeed cause us problems.

Let us list this as principle number 1: Do not over eat, even of healthy food. It will put a strain on the digestive system, can cause fermentation, and will provide too many calories for our daily needs. Seems rather easy to understand, but unfortunately there are those out there that insist you can eat all you want of some foods.

Thanks for the great recipe, Sister Ele!

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
    • http://www.drdugaldlewis.com
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 10:00:00 AM »
Dear Sister Ele,

Its great to have you join here with us.

I hope that you have access to the medical missionary forum becuase I would like for you to do a post there on the Wellness center at Canoa.

I know what it was like 20 years ago and the relationship with the medical school.

I am sure that many would be encouraged by the good report that I believe you would want to share with us.

Sincerely
Dugald

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2003, 04:55:00 PM »
HEALTHY RECIPES IS THE SECRET
A failure to care for the living machinery is an insult to the Creator.  God's rules, which if observed will keep human beings from disease and premature death.  
   God desires us to reach the standard of perfection made possible for us by the gift of Christ.  Sickness is the result of violating the laws of health. It is the result of violating nature's laws.
   In order to preserve health, temperance in all things is necessary.  How do we change our bad habits.  How do I overcome my bad habits and obtain a healthy lifestyle?
  Paul says, "I die daily".  We must be baptized with the Baptism of the Holy Spirit daily, asking for moment by moment guidance  to this perfection in health reform.  I am the chief of sinners in this catagory and need many prayers. (Quotes from Counsels on Diet and Foods in the chapter on  Reasons for Reform)
   "Lord, Help me to remember that nothing is going to happen to me today that You and I together can't handle."

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2003, 11:56:00 AM »
        The diet in Eden is given in Genesis 1:29.....After the fall of man God cursed the ground .....Before the Flood there was great wickedness.....After the Flood God gave man permission to eat the flesh of clean animals.....What is God’s diet today?  Disease in animals is increasing.  Contaminated meat, dairy products, and eggs are common sources of food-related illness.
       “Wrong habits must be overcome.  Right habits must be formed. Under the discipline of the greatest Teacher the world has ever known, Christians  must move onward and upward toward perfection.  This is God’s command, and no one should say, I cannot do it.  He should say instead, God requires me to be perfect and He will give me strength to overcome all that stand in the way of perfection.  He is the source of all wisdom, all power.” EGW, Reflecting Christ, pg. 164
      Teaching cooking classes has helped me accumulate many healthy recipes. If you need a special one, or an entree or any craving you may have please let me know and I  will help with a healthy recipe.  Paul says “I die daily”, and this I must do in order to be             temperate in all things.  Here is a very delicious Lasagne recipe.  I hope you enjoy it.
   (By the way, my ministry in Mexico is called “La Mesa Del Señor” (The Lord’s Table)                                          
             12 Lasagne noodles cooked       1 Mori-Nu extra firm Tofu
             1 Lg. bunch fresh spinach           1 box sliced Mushrooms
              1 chopped onion               2 cups your favorite spaghetti sauce               Vegetarian Chicken seaoning, Italian, salt, rosemary, etc (opt)
            Cashew cheese (Recipe below)  
      Saute onions, mushrooms and spinach in 1/4 cup water.
    In large casserole dish pour in ½ cup sauce, lay out 4 cooked lasagne. Crumble 1/2 of the tofu and 1/2 of the spinach mixture over noodles,   ½ cup tomato sauce  Drizzle ½  cup cheese sauce and then repeat.  Finish the top by pouring about 1 cup of the cheese  sauce on top.  Bake at 325 for about an hour.

Cashew Cheese Sauce
      Blend well:    1 cup warm water             1 cup rinsed cashews
      Add:              2 Tbls. Tahini                    3 Tbls. Nutritional yeast
       Blend again:  2 Tbls lemon juice        ½ cup pimento for color (opt)
                           1 tsp each, salt, onion and garlic powder
             Serve with a healthy green salad and  whole grain rolls.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2003, 11:59:00 AM »
Good digestion is as important as good food. If one's food is perfect but ferments in the stomach and decays in the intestine, it enters the blood stream as poison.If properly eaten, nothing is done to interfere with the digestive process.

The following are the causes of indigestion and are injurious to our health:
  1.Overeating-Eat simple foods and stop    
    before we are full.
  2.Eating too fast.
    Food should be thoroughly masticated.
  3.Eating between meals is a constant      hindrance to digestion because it does
not allow the stomach to complete its work.
  4.Eating late at night. The stomach should be empty while we sleep.

Class 1 of my Vegetarian Cooking Class:

Meatballs for your favorite Spaghetti Sauce
  1/2 cup breadcrumbs
  1 cup quick oats
  3/4 c ground sunflower seeds and walnuts
  1 1/2 Tbls gluten flour
  1/2 onion chopped
  1 c hot water
  1 tsp Italian seasoning and
  1 tsp onion powder
  2 tsp Veg. chicken seasoning
Form into balls, Bake 30 minutes at 350 then add to your favorite Spaghetti Sauce.

Pesto and Fetticini Noodles
Blend till smooth:
  2 cups fresh basil
  1/4 cup walnuts or pine nuts
  1 tsp onion powder
  3-4 cloves garlic
  1/4 cup olive oil and water
  1 heaping Tbls. nutritional yeast
  Salt to taste
Heat and pour over hot fetticini noodles and serve with Italian salad.  Delicious!

Gluten Steaks
  2 cups gluten flour
  1 Tbls. wheat germ
  2 Tbls. Nutritional yeast
  1/2 cup quick oats
  1 Tbls. Chick seasoning or 1 pkg gravy mix
Mix well then add 2 cups water, quickly stir into a ball. Form a log and slice 1/2 inch or more steaks and put into boiling broth.  Simmer covered for about l hour.
Broth: About 8 or 10 cups water, 1/2 cup Bragg's Soy Sauce, 1 chopped onion, chicken Seasoning.
When finished freeze or bread and fry in teflon sprayed fry pan. Serve with mashed potatoes, gravy and Vegie, and salad.

Fruit Pizza
Make your best cookie recipe and lay it on a 10 or 12 inch pizza pan.  Or use this Oatmeal recipe:
  3/4 cup honey or maple syrup
  1/4 cup canola oil
  3/4 cup Soy milk
  1 Tbls vanilla
  1 tsp salt
  3/4 cup chopped walnuts
  2 cups regular or quick oats  
  2 cups flour-whole wheat or unbleached
    or oat flour (blended in blender)
Beat together the first four ingredients.
Mix remaining ingredients in another bowl. Combine  and stir together well. Let sit for 15 minutes.  On oiled pizza pan, spread and make one large cookie.  Bake 20-25 minutes at 350.
Peanut Cream
  1 1/2 cups peanut butter
  1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
Mix till real creamy and spread on the entire cookie.   Then cover with wonderful fruit of your choice, add your tofu whipped cream.  A real delight for the children!

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2003, 01:51:00 PM »
Sister Ele, you are a walking Health Report and a joy to read your posts.

Here are two recpies for Dressings. I have found both to have wonderful taste and be multi useful.

C = Cup
T=Tablespoon
t=tespoon

Creamy Onion Dressing

1 C Clean, raw cashews          
1 C water
1 tomato, sliced
1/4 C onion flakes
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 T food yeast flakes
1/2 t onion salt
1/4 t garlic salt

Blend cashews and water until very smooth. Add remaining ingredients and continue blending until smooth. Keep refrigerated in an airtight container. May be used as a salad or sandwich dressing, or as a sauce for vegetables.
===========================
Creamy Cucumber Dressing

1 large avocado
1/2 cucumber, peeled
1 green onion, or 1/4 C chopped onion
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 t honey (opt.)
1/2 t salt
1/4 t dill or sweet basil
1/4 t garlic powder

Blend all ingredients together. Keep refrigerated in an airtight container. May be used as a salad or sandwich dressing, or as a sauce for vegetables.
===================================

Here is a yummie Golden Fruit Soup

46 oz. can unsweetened pineapple juice
1/2 C diced, dried apricots
1/2 C minute tapioca
1 C diced apples or strawberries
1 C fresh or frozen sliced peaches
1 C unsweetened pineapple chunks
1-2 bananas, sliced
1/2 C seedless green grapes

Combine first 3 ingredients and cook over low heat until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Add remaining ingredients. Serve hot or cold.

VARIATION: Add any fresh or frozed fruit of your choice.

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2003, 06:24:00 PM »
Sister Marie, I would like to put my cooking class recipes  in this forum every week and I am so happy to receive your note of interest. Thank you and I pray others too may share their favorite recipes.
   I hope you will allow me to use your dressings in my class.  Have you tried almonds or sunflower seeds instead of cashews?  I have to be careful because we cannot buy cashews here in Mexico.  But I will try sunflower seeds.   I am also looking for a good cheese recipe without cashews, can anyone help me?

Sister Marie

Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2003, 07:17:00 PM »
Sister Ele,
Free free to use any of my recipies. They were given me years ago from a cooking class that I was not able to attend. They have been such a blessing for us. I have three recipies for cheese, but they all use cashews. I know the cashews make a better sause, however, I would think most nuts would also work, maybe not as creamy, but then they may be every bit as good. I am looking forward to reading your recipies.  :)

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Sister Marie

Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2003, 07:18:00 PM »
SESAME MILK
(for infants)

3 T. raw sesame seeds
1 1/2-2 C. purified water
4 pitted dates

Soak sesame seeds overnight in 1/2 C. of the purified water. In the morning drain and rinse seeds. Blend with remaining water and dates until very smooth. Pour into a pint jar and add enough water to make 1 int. May be strained, if desired. Keep covered in the refrigerator and shake well before each use. This will keep only about 2 days. Food yeast flakes (1/4-1/2 t) may be added for Vitamin B12, and additonal amino acids and minerals.

(Not to be used in place of breast milk or formula)

(Adapted From Pregnancy, Children, and the Vegan Diet)

[This message has been edited by Sister Glass (edited 12-02-2003).]

With Christian Love,
Marie

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2003, 07:29:00 PM »
Sister Ele, we are not wealthy in the things of this world, but God has blessed us with healthy food. Cashews are not real expensive compared to processed food, but we find that they can add expense to our food budget if we used them as much as we would like. We began to experiment with almonds and sunflower seeds, both being cheaper to purchase than cashews.

They both have proved a great success. Sunflower seeds are half the price of almonds, so we have been using them more and more. We have found that if they are "lightly" toasted they blend nicely are a great base for sauces and salad dressings. We also use them mixed with flax seed for butter or a powder for fruit.

You have a talent for cooking so you will catch on quickly. Just start experimenting and you may claim the promised blessing of divine aid.  :) Let us know how you do.

Deb

Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2003, 08:19:00 PM »
We had a cooking school recently at our church and one recipe was quite a hit with everyone. Here it is:

Tofu Relinos with Green Chilies

2  16 oz. blocks extra firm tofu, drained
1 1/4 c. shredded tofu cheddar cheese
6 t. (or to taste) McKays chicken seasoning
1 t. onion powder
1  7oz. can chopped milk green chilies

Mash tofu and mix all ingredients together (I do it with my clean hands). Spray PAM on a 9x11 baking dish. Put mixture in it and pat down firmly and flat-like as possible.
Bake 475 (high heat) 30-35 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.

It is very important to flatten down the mixture as hard as possible in the dish. This gives it the egg-like texture. Many non vegetarians have loved this dish!!

Another recipe that is quick and easy and lovely to look at. I got this from a friend who teaches at Country Haven Academy.

No Dairy Cheesecake

1 envelope Emes Lemon no sugar jello pkg.
1/2 c. hot water
1 Tofutti cream cheese, room temp.
12 oz. Cool Whip
Graham cracker pie crust
1 T. lemon zest (opt.)

Dissolve Emes jello in 1/2 c. hot water in blender. Add cool whip and cream cheese and blend well. Fold in lemon zest if desired and pour into pie crust. Refrigerate. Cut into pieces and put a teaspoon full of some kind of fruit sauce on top (I used some huckleberries that I had thickened--it looked so pretty!!) and serve. Very elegant dessert and VERY good.

Both of these recipes I have used as a Sabbath breakfast (tofu one) and Sabbath dessert for company (pie one)!! They are not something we eat every day because they are expensive to make (I think they are)

[This message has been edited by Deb (edited 12-06-2003).]

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2003, 01:30:00 PM »
Here is something that most enjoy. It provides a whole grain and we use fresh fruit with GRANOLA.

22  C rolled old fashioned oats
1   C almonds-powdered in blender
1   C chopped dates-warmed in a little water
1   12oz frozen apple juice concentrate
1/4  C honey
1-2  C chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, etc.)
4    tsp. vanilla
2    tsp. salt

Blend apple juice concentrate with dates, honey, vanilla, salt then add powdered almonds. If necessary add a small amount of water to finish blending.

Mix oats, chopped nuts, and blender mix with hands until all oats are damp.

Spread in pans about 1" to 2" thick. Bake at 250 degrees for one hour and then 200 degrees until done. Slow cooking is the secret. Do not let the granola get too brown. Keep the heat low and cook for a longer period. Check often and use a turner to turn the mix as it cooks to keep cooking even. I use three pans and I rotate the pans also.

Michelle

• http://
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2003, 05:53:00 AM »
Richard--I use a different recipe (I don't think there are any two identical granola recipes!), but we love granola.  Yummy!

M

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2003, 08:24:00 AM »
Teaching Mexicans from a poor country is a chalenge but very rewarding. Many products they cannot get here such as cashews, nutritional yeast  and even brown rice is hard to find.....so my recipes have to be with their products or I sell them  the items they cannot get.  Part of my third cooking class consisted of:

The first recipe was lentil soup which I am sure you all know.  Put all in one pot of about 2 quarts of water,, about 2 cups lentils, onions, 3-4 garlic, celery, carrots, potato. green pepper, fresh basil, thyme, bay leaf, chicken seasoning,  cook for one hour then add one med. can tomatoes. I really enjoy this soup with home baked rolls or whole grain bread.

Lentil Loaf
Blend:
   2 cups cooked lentils
   2/3 cup plain soy milk
Put in a bowl and add:
   1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
   1 cup nuts chopped
   1 carrot grated
   1 onion chopped
   1/2 cup chopped celery
   1 tsp each, thyme and salt
   1/2 tsp each marjoram, oregano  
       and sage
   2 tsp. chicken seasoning veg.
Mix well and bake at 350 for 1 hour.

I baked a few potatoes and gave them 5 different ways of serving:
Cut baked potato in half, opening it up,
   1. 3 spoonfuls of lentil soup on top.
   2. Cream of brocoli soup
   3. Mexican salsa-wonderful!
   4. Home made cashew cheese
   5. Beans or chili beans
And many other toppings.

Cream of Broccoli and Potato Soup
In one small pot cook:
   About 4 or 5 pieces, stems, of califlower
    and some stems of Broccoli
In a large pot boil 2 quarts of water
or 1/2 water 1/2 plain soy milk, add:
   1 chopped onion
   Two heads of brocoli cut small pieces
   2 lg potatoes cubed
Cook for only about 5 minutes.
In blender blend till creamy:
   2 cups hot soup water from lg pot,
   and cooked califlower and broccoli stems
   2/3 cup or more rinsed cashews
Add:
   1 Tbls. onion powder
   2 garlic pieces
   1 1/2 Tbls chicken seasoning
   1/2 cup flour+
   salt to your taste
Add mixture to the brocoli soups and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Enjoy and praise God for all the good foods He gave us.   God bless you.    

[This message has been edited by Ele Holmes (edited 01-31-2004).]

Sister Marie

Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2003, 09:00:00 AM »
Millet Butter

3/4 C. Water
1/2 T. Emes Gelatin or Agar Agar
1/2 C. packed, cooked, hot millet
2 T clean, raw cashews (other nuts may work)
1 T Peeled, cooked carrot
1/2 t salt
Butter flavoring, to taste (opt.)

Stir Emes (or Agar Agar) into water and heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin is dissolved and liquid is clear. Pour into a blender and blend with remaining ingredients until very smooth. Let stand a few minutes so that air bubbles can escape. Pour into a container and chill, covered. Keeps about one week. Does not freeze well.

VARIATIONS:
(1) FOR GARLIC BUTTER, ADD GARLIC POWDER OR GARLIC CLOVES, TO TASTE
(2) FOR ORANGE BUTTER, ADD ORANGE FLAVORING AND HONEY, TO TASTE
(3) SUBSTITUTE CORNMEAL FOR MILLET -- MIX 1/2 C. FINE CORNMEAL AND 1/2 C. COLD WATER. Gradually stir in 1 C boiling water. Simmer for 20 minutes.
*Simmer 1 part millet grain to 4 parts salted water for about 45 minutes.

With Christian Love,
Marie

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2003, 08:42:00 PM »
Sister Marie,
   Millet butter was in my class this past week.  I didn't even use nuts. My recipe is very simple:
   About 1/2 cup hot carrot water
   1/2 cup cleaned cashews opt.
   1 cup hot millet
   1 small cooked carrot
   1/4 cup coconut
   Butter flavor opt.
Blend all ingredients.  It will firm up in the refrigerator.

I sure enjoyed your dressings, they are wonderful! I will try your soup soon.  Thank you.

Sister Marie

Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2003, 07:49:00 AM »
They have that good ol' coconut in there instead, yummie!!!!    :) (cashews are opt)

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
Cutting Edge Recipes
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2003, 09:41:00 AM »
December 31, 2003   HAPPY NEW YEAR----HAVE YOU MADE YOUR RESOLUTIONS?  Time to Get serious, TIME TO GET READY FOR THE TIME OF TROUBLE LIKE NEVER WAS! Get ready for our Lord-Watch and Pray! Do you know how to become a healthy vegetarian? I will put in instructions from Weimar Institute next time. I pray you are one by now!  TIME FOR MORE RECIPES!

I have been trying to create a good vegan  pancake for my grand son and me. He loves pancakes with real maple syrup.

Fruit and Nut Pancake Recipe
   1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
   1 cup soy milk
   3 tsp Featherweight baking powder
         (Found in Health Food stores)  
   1/2 tsp salt
   1 Tbls. maple syrup
   1/2 cup nuts
   1 cup of bananas, mangos,              
     or blueberries, peaches.
Mix and let sit for a few minutes.  Stir fruit in gently.  Serve with real Maple syrup

Fried Rice
Serve with your stir fry. God gave us so many vegies for different stir fries.
  Cook your brown rice first
In a teflon fry pan saute:
Instead of oil use water to fry
  garlic, and onions chopped
  1 grated carrot
  1 rib of celery chopped
  1/3 cup sliced almonds
  2 Tbls. Liquid Aminos
  2 cups cooked rice.
Add whatever vegies you may want.