Author Topic: Hawthorn Berry  (Read 3995 times)

Clive Nevell

• http://
Hawthorn Berry
« on: October 03, 2001, 02:09:00 PM »
I have been advised that Hawthorn Berry is supposed to be very good for the heart.
I would be interested to know if anyone have anyone used it and what are the benefits from using it or does it have any bad side effects?
Never heard of it myself and before I take anything that is new I like to check it out.
Blessings
Clive

Suzanne

Hawthorn Berry
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2001, 04:20:00 PM »
Br. Clive:

I have used hawthorn berry and find it to be very helpful for the heart. Lynne P. Walker, Ph.D., writing in "Nature's Pharmacy," points out that studies show it improves heart function, without side effects.

James F. Balch, MD., and Phyllis A Balch, writing in "Prescriptiion for Nutritional Healing," 2nd edition, say it dilates the coronary blood vessels, lowers cholesterol levels, and restores heart muscle. It also increases intracellular vitamin C levels and is useful for anemia, cardiovascular and circulatory disorders, high cholesterol, and lowered immunity. ...The berries, flowers and leaves are used. It is available at your health food store.

Healthfully yours,
SS

Curt

Hawthorn Berry
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2001, 10:44:00 AM »
Here is some information from one of my text books. "The Healing Power of Nature's Herbs" by Michael T. Murray N.D.

Hawthorn Berries -  spiny tree shrub native to Europe whose leaves berries and blossom contain many biologically active flavonoid compounds particularly anthocyanidins and proanthoccyanidins and cardiotonic amines.

Strong Vitamin "P" activity and an ability to increase intra-cellular vitamin C levels while stabilizing vitamin C (prevent oxidation)
Significant collagen stabilizing action (collagen maintains the integrity of tendons, ligaments, cartilage)

Clinically effective in reducing blood pressure (mild), angina attacks and serum cholesterol levels and in preventing deposition of cholesterol in artery walls.
Improves blood supply to the heart by dilating coronary vessels (repeatedly demonstrated)
Hawthorn improves the mechanical function of the heart without increasing coronary blood flow.

This is a good reference bok for those seeking deeper understanding of how hawthorn works, it's dosage and toxicity.

Hawthorn is an amazing herb.

A votre sante

FAITH - As God's blessed sons & daughters we are to attempt the impossible to the extent that we will fail unless God steps in.   Keep the faith

Clive Nevell

• http://
Hawthorn Berry
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2001, 02:23:00 PM »
Thanks for your replies.
I will start on it today.
Blessings
Clive

Curt

Hawthorn Berry
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2001, 07:49:00 PM »
All,

don't forget the super 8 Doctors that make house calls (Nutrition, Sunshine, Rest, Exercise, Water, ....) . Herbs are only "assisting nature in her effort to relieve a condition that resulted from violation of the laws of health".

FAITH - As God's blessed sons & daughters we are to attempt the impossible to the extent that we will fail unless God steps in.   Keep the faith

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
Re: Hawthorn Berry
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 04:31:42 PM »
As I post am eating toast with ginger preserves and 1/4 teaspoon of powdered hawthorn mixed in, it does help angina, now that I am a heart patient, I use it instead of nitro,  I am pre treating for tomorrow's UHaul .  Won't be helping much, but I asked a Wildwood Institute reconditioner how they got their angina patients walking, he said they pre-treated for a week with hawthorn before exercise,  ( walking ).

Bought hawthorn in powder form, and drinking it is like saw dust in water,  mixing in food is better, has very little taste.   No headaches.     ;D
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 04:42:30 PM »
Yuck-a-mundo in water! I'm sorry, Ed!  Yes, take it in food if you can!

The U-Haul tomorrow? Yay! If I lived closer, you would get some help! 
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 09:11:54 PM »
Amen!! Tomorrow was today.  How did the trip go?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 04:19:56 PM »
The Lord blessed, things went well, both hired men took Great Controversy's home.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 05:48:17 PM »
That is wonderful, Ed.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Marelis

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 11:19:04 PM »
I took Hawthorn berry for my cardiac arrhythmia for some months and all was well until I became fatigued and had a viral illness then back to square one and now feel safer taking antiarrhythmic medications. So yes, it has something going for it but I couldn't advise anyone with a serious arrhythmia to forgo their regular medications for hawthorn berry. For simple palpitations, nuisance ectopic beats etc where you haven't been advised to take an antiarrhythmic medication or blood thinners, by all means, could be worth a try.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11