Author Topic: Charcoal  (Read 51354 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Charcoal
« on: June 30, 2001, 08:09:00 PM »
As a new Seventh-day Adventist many years ago, I discovered a well kept secret. One of the faithful ministries (Uchee Pines) that God has blessed greatly was training medical missionaries and I was led to one of them. That night I learned of the benefits of using charcoal for the treatment of disease and injuries. Such a blessing!

Charcoal may be taken internally and it may be used externally as in a poultice. If used internally, it will interfere with drugs being taken. It adsorbs poinson. It is very effective for a wide range of problems. The emergency rooms in hospitals use if for treating poisoning.

Care must be taken to use pure charcoal from a wood source. There is a certification in the U.S. for internal use. For more information contact Uchee Pines. URL is listed in our Web Sites forum.

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Suzanne

Charcoal
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2001, 08:35:00 AM »
The healthful benefits of charcoal are indeed awesome. A quick check of my card file index produced this info:  Charcoal is an incredible healer--it is the most powerful absorbent known to man...it absorbs all kinds of poisons and is the universal antidote for toxins from hemlock to DDT. It likewise can be used to treat patients with kidney failure by removing impurities from the bloodstream.

An article in "Prevention" Jan. 1987 praises activated charcoal as the new champion cholesterol fighter...It picks up cholesterol and heads for the nearest exit. Charcoal removes poisons from the bloodstream, something Ipecac and stomach pumping (the procedures used in the emergency room)cannot do.

SS

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 07-02-2001).]

Suzanne

Charcoal
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2001, 05:35:00 PM »
Here are some statements by Ellen White on the subject of charcoal:

CHARCOAL AND OLIVE OIL

"I will tell you a little about my experience with charcoal as a remedy. For some forms of indigestion, it is more efficacious than drugs. A little olive oil into which some of this powder has been stirred tends to cleanse and heal. I find it is excellent....

"Always study and teach the use of the simplest remedies and the special blessing of the Lord may be expected to follow the use of these means which are within the reach of the common people." --Testimony by Ellen G. White, K-100, 1903.

CHARCOAL AND SMARTWEED

"One of the most beneficial remedies is pulverized charcoal in a bag and used in formentations. This ia a most successful remedy. If wet in smartweed, boiled, it is still better. I have ordered this in cases where the sick were suffering great pain and when it has been confided to me by the physician that he thought it was the last before the close of life. Then I suggested the charcoal, and the patient has slept, the turning point come, and recovery was the result. To students, when injured with bruised hands, and suffering with inflammation, I have prescribed this simple remedy with perfect success. The poison of inflammation is overcome, and the pain removed and healing went on rapidly. The most severe inflammation of the eyes will be relieved by a poultice of charcoal, put in a bag, and dipped in hot or cold water as will best suit the case. This works like a charm.

"I expect you will laugh at this; but if I could give this remedy some outlandish name, that no one knew but myself, it would have greater influence."  --Testimony by Ellen G. White, K-82, 1897.

SS

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Charcoal
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2001, 08:43:00 PM »
What a blessing these statements have been to my family and me.  I suppose if we were to ask how many of our members have availed themselves of this light and used "smartweed" we would be saddened that very few have received the blessing. I don't know what to think, except to say one day the light will be greatly appreciated.  :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Suzanne

Charcoal
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2001, 11:16:00 AM »
Br. Richard and....

Here are more statements from Inspiration re: charcoal.

CHARCOAL AND FLAXSEED

"For several days he has had a painful swelling on the knee, supposed to be from the bite of some poisonous insect. Pulverized charcoal, mixed with flaxseed was placed upon the swelling, and this poultice gave relief at once.  --E.G. White Diary, April 25, 1899.

EXPERIENCE WITH CHARCOAL

"A brother was taken sick with inflammation of the bowels, and bloody dysentery. The man was not a careful health reformer, but indulged his appetite. We were just preparing to leave Texas, where we had been laboring for several months, and we had carriages prepared to take away this brother and his family, and several others who were suffering from malarial fever. My husband and I thought we would stand this expense rather than have the heads of several families die and leave their wives and children unprovided for. Two or three were taken in a large spring wagon on spring mattresses.

"But this man who was suffering from inflammation of the bowels, sent for me to come to him. My husband and I decided that it would not do to move him. Fears were entertained that mortification had set in. Then the thought came to me like a communication from the Lord to take pulverized charcoal, put water upon it, and give this water to the sick man to drink, putting bandages of the charcoal over the bowels and stomach. We were about one mile from the city of Denison, but the sick man's son went to a blacksmith's shop, secured the characoal, and pulverized it, and then used it according to the directions given. The result was that in half an hour there was a change for the better. We had to go on our journey and leave the family behind, but what was our surprise the following day to see their wagon overtake us. The sick man was lying in a bed in the wagon. The blessing of God had worked with the simple means used. --Testimony by Ellen G. White, W-182, 1899.

Praise the Lord!
SS

Brad

Charcoal
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2001, 08:44:00 PM »
Boy this brings back memories!  :) During my youth my mother would shove charcoal down our throats everytime we complained of a stomach ache(she still tries does to this day). I do recall it helping in most cases.

By the way what is smartweed?

Curt

Charcoal
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2001, 04:46:00 AM »
For a toothache ...

Charcoal and peppermint mixed to a soft bolus, wrapped in a gauze and placed on the offending site will relieve the pain and avoid swelling. It should also work on an absess in the mouth.

FAITH - As God's blessed sons & daughters we are to attempt the impossible to the extent that we will fail unless God steps in.   Keep the faith

Joan

Charcoal
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2001, 03:23:00 AM »
More EGWhite Charcoal quotes :

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Charcoal Poultice for the Eye

"My left eye gives me considerable trouble. It has been painfully weak, and the pain in my cheekbone has caused me much anxiety. I think I told you that about a year ago I had a fall..... After this I had a ver painful time with my whole head. My cheek was swelled large and hard. Ellen White was with me at the time, and she pounded up charcoal for me. With this pulverized charcoal and hot water I treated my face for hours, till the soreness and pain was killed."
Letter 119. 1896
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Charcoal for Drink and Poultices

"I send you at this time pulverized charcoal. Let him drink the water, after it has stood a while to extract the virtue. This should be cold when used. Wlhen used for fomentations over the bowels, the coal should be put into a bag, sewed up, and dipped in hot water. It will serve several times. Have two bags, useone and then use the other.
Do not apply ice to the head (for fever) but cool water; but apply hot fomentations to the bowels, stomach and liver. This will quell the fever much sooner even than cold. The reaction after the cold applications raises the fever inthe place of killing it. This direction has been given me again and again."
Letter 122a. 1897
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Charcoal brings Relief

"I feel impressed to recommend for your consideration the use of charcoal as a powerful agent for removing poison from the system. I have on several occasions been impressed to suggest the use of charcoal, and it has often brought relief when every other means had failed.
When we were in Texas, one of our neighbors was taken sick because of inprudence in eating. The organs of excretion failed to act properly, and his system was poisoned. He was in terrible agony. His family sent for me to come and pray for him. Then it was impressed upon my mind to send someone to the balacksmiths's for charcoal, pulverize it, and place it as a poultice over the entire abdome. This was done, and the effect produced was wonderful.
This brother had intended to be one of a party to go with a number of teams through Texas, but because of his illness he was left behind. The next day, however, as we were resting, we looked back, and saw a team crossing the ferry. When it came nearer we saw with it our brother who had been so ill.
On several other occasions, I have seen the charcoal poultice tried with favorable results."
Letter 158. 1907

++++++++++++++++++++++

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Charcoal
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2001, 01:41:00 PM »
Brother Brad, I cannot remember the proper name, but I did find a supply of it. It looks like alfalfa dried.  I am looking for a plant to try growing it myself. It has been hard to find.

Richard

Suzanne

Charcoal
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2002, 02:01:00 PM »
Poison Control Center

Charcoal should be in your medicine cabinet. Parents may save themselves a trip to the ER if they keep activated charcoal on hand to treat accidental poisonings, according to an 18-month study published in "Pediatrics," Dec. 2001.

Activated charcoal was recommended by poison center staff to parents in 138 cases of accidental poisonings in youngsters who ingested medications, mushrooms or other toxins. This treatment was successful for 115. The other 23 couldn't find activated charcoal at a store in time, didn't have a home phone for follow-up or preferred seeing a doctor.

Activated charcoal works best if given within 1 hour after the poison is ingested. The fine powder acts like a sponge to soak up toxins and keep them from being absorbed into the bloodstream. It can be mixed with water, juice, or other liquids for easy swallowing. And unlike syrup of ipecac, it doesn't trigger vomiting.  --adapted from USA Weekend, Jan. 11-13, 2002.

Suzanne  

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Charcoal
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 05:41:52 PM »
I discovered another use for the miracle cure, charcoal!! 

Do you know that poison oak and poison ivy attack humans with an oil that binds to the skin? For this reason it never entered my mind to use charcoal. But, after getting the sap on my skin last week, I was desperate for I knew what was coming!!  So, I made a poultice when my arm had begun to swell. The charcoal took the itch away immediately!!!  And after a day and a half the swelling was gone!!!

This is amazing!!! Tell your friends!

And, as the flu begins to infect this season, remember to take a glass of water with charcoal as soon as you believe you are getting a sore throat or any other symptom. Warning, do not take charcoal if you are on meds. The charcoal will remove the drugs from the bloodstream!!! Charcoal is very, very effective at purifying the blood. Even external poultices will pull the drugs out of the bloodstream. Take note of this and never recommend charcoal without the precaution.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 09:01:14 PM »
Praise the Lord, Richard! This is very useful information. Reminds me to restock my medicine cabinet with it.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Larry Lyons

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 09:45:44 PM »
How does Bentonite clay compare to charcoal as a detox and  a poultice?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 11:14:44 PM »
We have some experience with it in external applications, but not internal. It appears to work in a similar manner as charcoal, but the light we have is for charcoal, so my guess is that it will be superior to the clay. The nice thing about the charcoal is that it is readily available and if one cannot afford it or find it, they can make it. :)  In the old days, it came from the fire, not from the drug store.  :)

Vicki

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 06:26:03 AM »
I've used Bentonite Clay internally, as well as Charcoal, and I'd say charcoal is better.

We've used charcoal for bugbites - son had a really nasty one on his leg that was hugely swollen and extremely hot to the touch - took the heat away & most of the swelling over night; and a spider bite on the side of my face after pruning bushes - I noticed it a few hours later when it started to feel like a hot poker burn and got terribly pussy.  :P The poultice pulled the skin away from the wound, but it did not leave a tattoo as I've heard it will.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 09:51:23 AM »
And after a day and a half the swelling was gone!!!

Ok... I'm always curious about how people do things. Did you attach this to your arm somehow so that you could wear it through the day?
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Vicki

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 11:35:57 AM »
I don't know how Richard did his arm. But, when we do poultices for small things we put charcoal on a bandage that has adhesive all the way around the gauze pad so it doesn't leak out. For bigger areas (and there are some really big bandages out there) we put it under a gauze pad, tape it in place if possible and wrap with an ace bandage. Can't move to much unless it's taped good or the charcoal will leak out.

Vicki

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 11:40:15 AM »
When you feel yourself coming down with a cold or flu you can also mix a little (1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon or there abouts) in water and drink it. A fine coating of charcoal will stay in the mouth to absorb the germs, so don't drink more water afterwards for awhile.

Taking too much charcoal internally can make one constipated, so don't go overboard on this, but a few times a day should be fine.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 01:11:35 PM »
Ok... I have a really odd request from someone who is willing the next time they use charcoal. Could/would you take pictures of the process of putting a poultice together labeling them step 1... step 2  etc.. 

I have Thrash's book "Home Remedies" and there is an explanation of how to put one together but I'm not very confident that I'm doing things right. It's always much easier for me when I can see an example.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 01:15:57 PM »
Taking too much charcoal internally can make one constipated, so don't go overboard on this, but a few times a day should be fine.

Actually this is good information for those who backpack. There are times when out in the woods it would be helpful to slow things down a little until you can get home. I know this is an odd question but any idea of how much charcoal it would take to slow things down for the average person?

...they can make it. :)  In the old days, it came from the fire, not from the drug store.  :)

Brother Richard, any idea if it matters what kind of wood is used? I hate to relate everything to backpacking...  ;D But if the type of wood used is important one could look for that to purposely burn in the backcountry.