Author Topic: Charcoal  (Read 51191 times)

Brian M

Re: Charcoal
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 04:25:32 PM »
When you feel yourself coming down with a cold or flu you can also mix a little (1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon or there abouts) in water and drink it. A fine coating of charcoal will stay in the mouth to absorb the germs, so don't drink more water afterwards for awhile.

Taking too much charcoal internally can make one constipated, so don't go overboard on this, but a few times a day should be fine.

I know it can slow things down, but I've never actually heard any evidence for constipation. In fact, some of the things I've read indicate that this won't happen. My son ate a bunch of charcoal tablets once with no ill effect - he likes charcoal tablets and just ate away.

For a cold or sore throat the charcoal water works great - or if you need to just put a couple tablets in your mouth and let them dissolve. Do this a number of times - it works like a charm too.
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

Vicki

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 04:52:52 PM »
Taking too much charcoal internally can make one constipated, so don't go overboard on this, but a few times a day should be fine.

Actually this is good information for those who backpack. There are times when out in the woods it would be helpful to slow things down a little until you can get home. I know this is an odd question but any idea of how much charcoal it would take to slow things down for the average person?

It would probably depend on how desperately ill they are. I think husband took 3 capsules once and had problems. At home, I'd start with one, but in the woods would probably bump it to 2 capsules for an adult - that can relieve the Big D (can't spell it so will resort to what Grandma called it  ;D) without making one constipated. If no improvement in a few hours take another - just my guess. Pop 4 capsules at once & you might really regret it later since it can cure what ails you without going overboard.

I don't have capsules to take apart to measure how much is in a capsule - 1/2 tsp??

...they can make it. :)  In the old days, it came from the fire, not from the drug store.  :)

Brother Richard, any idea if it matters what kind of wood is used? I hate to relate everything to backpacking...  ;D But if the type of wood used is important one could look for that to purposely burn in the backcountry.

One of our survival books describes how to make it step by step & they say to use willow - pencil thin branches. I'm interested if other wood works also.

Vicki

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 04:54:23 PM »
I know it can slow things down, but I've never actually heard any evidence for constipation. In fact, some of the things I've read indicate that this won't happen. My son ate a bunch of charcoal tablets once with no ill effect - he likes charcoal tablets and just ate away.

Interesting  ???

Brian M

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 05:07:48 PM »
By the way - I did not give him the charcoal tablets - he got the bottle and hid to eat them. At least it wasn't candy. ;D
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

colporteur

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 02:05:11 PM »
I have taken as much as 2 tbs. of charcoal powder and had any problem. Of course some people have more problems along that line.
Since it is nearly impossible to overdose on charcoal I am not timid when I use it.

What works better for many things than charcoal is green clay. It acts a lot like charcoal with the added benefit of adding important minerals. It may not work quite as fast or powerfully. I don't know. Elephants consume this naturally from the bottom of ponds to heal and cleanse themselves. It is interesting how God has put it in the instinct of animals to do that which we must learn to do.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 03:48:09 PM »
Grandson is home sick today and daughter just called saying she was not feeling well. Sore throat, achy and maybe a low grade temp. So I rushed to the store to restock on charcoal. Grandson and I downed a glass at the same time - trying to make it a game of race. Turns out - it has no taste. That was so pleasant! Anyway, daughter will get her dose in a few hours.

For cold/flu-like symptoms, how should I regulate the dosage? I bought 100% pure activated Charcoal, 260 mg capsules (which I pulled apart, emptied in water and trashed.) The label says 1 to 2 tablets at mealtime. Maybe it should be increased at the onset and then maintain? Brian suggested doing this a couple of times and the symptoms are relieved. If so, that's great! This will be the first time we have taken it internally, so I need direction, please.

Thanks!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Brian M

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 04:36:33 PM »
I agree with Colp - there are no side effects, so I do a lot of it. I've had more than 12 tablets a day (in a 3-4 hour period - can't have a charcoal mouth at work :o) for the last 2 days with no problems. The sore throat others had for several days lasted barely over 24 hours for me. Charcoal really is a miracle worker. Just be careful if someone is on medication, because it will adsorb it.

If you want some interesting reading about Charcoal - look at Selected Messages Vol. 2. The Chapter titled "E.G. White's Use of Remedial Agencies". Just ignore the disclaimer the compilers put in the front of the chapter.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 04:41:48 PM »
Okay then! Wow! At 260 mg per capsule (I hate it that I didn't get tablets!!!), we can take that much during the onset of colds/flu for several days? I was being quite conservative!

I will go read that passage. Thank you!

Steva1787

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 05:42:13 PM »
Charcoal is for sure an amazing thing. There have been many studies and experiments done with it. The best form of Charcoal is not the capsules, but rather the activated charcoal powder. If you take one spoonful of it and mix it into a glass of water and let it sit for about 10 min., the larger charcoal pieces will fall the the bottom and leave what is called 'slurry water'. This can be consumed by even babies. This part of the charcoal works great for indigestion, bloating and diarrhea. Now, if you got food poisoning or are sick with the flu or cold or something like that, then I would recommend stirring up the charcoal and drinking every last bit of it. I would do that at least 3-4 times per day. Like mentioned by some other people, don't take it at the same time that you take medications as it will adsorb it. The neat thing is that charcoal doesn't adsorb the nutrients in food- or anything helpful to our body! Charcoal only adsorbs those things that are harmful to our bodies (and yes, that does include medication). Not saying that meds won't help you, but speaking from the chemical make-up standpoint. Charcoal also aids in reducing 'bad breath'. Just a tip for anyone with that problem :)  So make sure to take your charcoal and don't worry about taking too much! (only side-effect to worry about- constipation. Remember charcoal has an adsorbing effect and will make it a bit rough in that area, but enough said...)

Kathleen

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 07:05:09 PM »
Can a person take charcoal hours after taking meds, or not at all when on meds?   

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 09:38:21 PM »
Kathleen, not at all. It is vital that we do not advise the use of charcoal without sternly warning about the danger if on meds. The charcoal will pull the medication out of the bloodstream.  This could be fatal for some. We have reason to believe it will do this even with an external poultice.

Having said this, you can talk with your doctor about how long the med needs to be in the blood. Often, it is there for a protracted period of time and in some cases, it is always in the bloodstream. If it is pain medication, then it is not a matter of life and death, but losing the pain relief. And, it may take awhile for the charcoal to exit the system.

One way to cut down on the amount of internal charcoal, is to take smaller amounts more frequently. I have found that taking a couple of swallows every ten minutes is effective at fighting a sore throat or a toothache (swishing it around the teeth). The charcoal will attract bacteria and other bad guys when it comes in contact with them. It is indeed a miracle substance that God has given to us.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 09:53:54 PM »
And as Steva has pointed out, the activated powder is sure a lot easier than emptying capsules (make sure you never ingest a capsule made of gelatin; it is highly risky).   You want to buy a large amount of activated charcoal powder. It is a lot cheaper that way. And, you will want it for external poultices. Carry it in your car every where you go.

I will post some pictures showing how to use it in a poultice.  There is another precaution when using charcoal. Do not ever let it out of the wrapper!! When the poultice dries, the charcoal will want to destroy carpet, couches, beds, anything that does not want to be dyed black!!! :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Sister Dee

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 07:09:10 PM »
Is any one brand better than another?  We may be having H1N1 visiting us soon.  One of my husband's co-workers has a child with it. 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 07:24:58 PM »
Oh no! We will pray for you, dear sister, and in the meantime those with long-term charcoal use can answer your question. I am new to using it internally, but use it, I do!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2009, 10:56:20 PM »
I don't know about different brands, but there are concerns. We need to make sure the charcoal is made from wood, not bones. And, there are two basic qualities that I know of. One is not labeled USP, the other is. USP is for internal use. So, it is probably the better choice, but I still think we need to make sure that the product is made from wood. I understand some is made form bones which can carry disease including Mad Cow Disease.  I guess we ought to do some research on the subject. USP grade is more expensive.

Charcoal is used for many different purposes, so being made from bones may not be a problem for something such as air filters. But, using it internally does not sound good. Because their is so much corruption and so little recognition of the problem with animal products, we need to do our research on the source of the charcoal.

Sister Dee

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 06:13:27 AM »
We need to make sure the charcoal is made from wood, not bones.

Now, that is a valuable piece of information.  I will definitely check to make sure what I buy is made only from wood.  Thank you, Brother Richard. 

Kathleen

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 08:36:25 AM »
Well if mine has bones I won't worry about breaking my teeth on them.  Step one: remove teeth.   Step two:  swallow bones.   Step Three:  ;D      <<<<<<  like so.

stephen

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 09:52:23 AM »
The best charcoal is from hardwood or coconut shell. 

'Activated' means that it has been pulverized by high pressure steam, giving each particle more sides.  Each side adsorbs.  The more adsorbtion, the more effective. 

Many questions concerning charcoal are answered in the book "Charcoal Remedies.Com" by John Dinsley.  You can access his website at www.charcoalremedies.com.

Mr. Dinsley has offered to supply all the charcoal needed to people in Africa and elsewhere who are in need because of cholera, dysentery, malaria, etc.  We have been looking for someone who can add it to their lading (shipping), particularly at this time to Ethiopia.  If anyone knows of possible shipment help, John can ship hardwood charcoal from USA, or coconut shell charcoal from Sri Lanka.
Zep 1:11 Howl, ye inhabitants of Maktesh, for all the merchant people are cut down; all they that bear silver are cut off.

Zep 1:12 And it shall come to pass at that time, [that] I will search Jerusalem with candles, and punish the men that are settled on their lees: that say in

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2009, 11:18:48 AM »
Thanks for the link, dear brother. It is a good one. And yes, there are other good sources of charcoal besides wood. We just need to know what it is made out of so that we do not get an animal product such as bone.

That is quite an offer and surely there is someone who can ship it. More than this, we need someone at the other end that knows how to use it. What an opportunity for the medical missionary work!!!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2009, 11:29:16 AM »
Amen! Hi, Stephen! You have been missed, dear brother!