Author Topic: Side Effects of Drugs  (Read 60180 times)

colporteur

Re: Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2009, 06:01:25 AM »
The bottom line that we all have to ask ourselves is: does taking a drug outweigh the negative effect of that drug. To take it to the extreme, if a drug saves 100 lives while killing 90 then the drug should be taken.

Two problems. We are not, from the onset.... to ask ourselves... but ask God... ask God to help us receive and believe in faith the counsel He has revealed in the Testimony  of Jesus. Which is better a drug that saves 10 % of the people and looses the other 90 % and dulling the minds of the 10%  or natural methods that God has given us that save 90% and lose 10%.
    Drugs negatively affect the mind, the delicate frontal lobe of the brain where we communicate with God and hear His voice. I would rather use God's natural methods and still hear His voice even if the cure comes slowly or even not at all.... than to not hear His voice and and hope that somehow through it all I can survive physically.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2009, 07:54:28 AM »
I don't think you can say that all drugs effect the mind. For instance you step on a rusty dirty nail and get an infection. First you get a tetanus shot. I've never heard that effect the mind. Second to stop an infection that in Mrs. Whites day might have been fatal we take antibiotics and save our lives. I've not heard that antibiotics effect the mind, however I've heard that death from an infection does have a negative effect on the mind :) Mrs White was not against all drugs. She was an advocate of that which brought good health. I feel she would have said that antibiotics were a gift from God and been for their use, even though there can be some negative side effects from them. As a person who has migraines I can attest that pain effects my mind much more than the medication to take away that pain. (Thankfully I have learned what usually triggers my headaches so it's rare that I have to take that drug) Natural remedies are always the best way to go. If charcoal can take care of an infection then that is the way to treat it, but when natural does not do it I think God expects us to use appropriate measures.

My wife has seizures, the drug she takes has some negative side effects on her mind, but not near as bad as the seizures. 

The bottom line that we all have to ask ourselves is: does taking a drug outweigh the negative effect of that drug. To take it to the extreme, if a drug saves 100 lives while killing 90 then the drug should be taken.

Two problems. We are not, from the onset.... to ask ourselves... but ask God... ask God to help us receive and believe in faith the counsel He has revealed in the Testimony  of Jesus. Which is better a drug that saves 10 % of the people and looses the other 90 % and dulling the minds of the 10%  or natural methods that God has given us that save 90% and lose 10%.
    Drugs negatively affect the mind, the delicate frontal lobe of the brain where we communicate with God and hear His voice. I would rather use God's natural methods and still hear His voice even if the cure comes slowly or even not at all.... than to not hear His voice and and hope that somehow through it all I can survive physically.
Laughter is an instant vacation

colporteur

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2009, 07:54:18 AM »
I don't think you can say that all drugs effect the mind. For instance you step on a rusty dirty nail and get an infection. First you get a tetanus shot. I've never heard that effect the mind. Second to stop an infection that in Mrs. Whites day might have been fatal we take antibiotics and save our lives. I've not heard that antibiotics effect the mind, however I've heard that death from an infection does have a negative effect on the mind :) Mrs White was not against all drugs. She was an advocate of that which brought good health. I feel she would have said that antibiotics were a gift from God and been for their use, even though there can be some negative side effects from them. As a person who has migraines I can attest that pain effects my mind much more than the medication to take away that pain. (Thankfully I have learned what usually triggers my headaches so it's rare that I have to take that drug) Natural remedies are always the best way to go. If charcoal can take care of an infection then that is the way to treat it, but when natural does not do it I think God expects us to use appropriate measures.

My wife has seizures, the drug she takes has some negative side effects on her mind, but not near as bad as the seizures. 

I don't know if I would necessarily categorize an inoculation quit the same as a drug.
Are you aware Richard of the power of natural antibiotic's like garlic. I don't think many realize how powerfully these herbs work.

Jesus suffered the most intense pain and anguish on the cross yet He refused mind dulling vinegar. I had migraines for years as a result of allergies. Why the pain, nausea, and vomiting were very unpleasant I don't think it dulled the mind.

If we wait for babylon's medical information to enter the spiritual realm and tell us that drugs and medical treatments typically prescribed affect the part of our brain that God communicates to us through we will wait too long.

Drugs typically stifle the search for the true problem. As long as we can survive on something that does not require lifestyle changes and as long as we are told, and believe, only a drug will work, this is where we will go. Had we not all these drugs I believe we would be amazed at the strides that would be made in natural medicine and the results of using only what God is counseling us to use.

It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Esther 7

• http://
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2009, 04:01:44 PM »
This is such a touchy subject and one that I have a difficult time with. While I am 100% for natural remedies and a huge proponent of them, I also know that there are exceptions to the rules. How do you tell the person who has a bladder shrivelled to the size of a walnut and so deteriorated that it cracks every time it expands, that they don't need to take anything for the excruciating pain? Yes, there are ways of treating this incurable disease, however, what about the person who went 30 years without a diagnosis and now their bladder is beyond help and the only cure is a bladder replacement. That carries it's own risks, such as paralysis from surgery, death...etc...

So yes, this is a personal experience and yes, for 30 years I tried everything, diet, exercise, etc.... and nothing helped and it only progressed. So I pray constantly that God will provide another answer and do my best. I know though that not many people can relate to the cancer-like pain I endure, and that I'm not much good to my kids or the Lord if I'm laying on the floor screaming in pain,  or crawling to the bathroom 60 times a day. So which do I do? Take the meds and suffer the judgement of my peers? Or don't take them and waste my life when I could be doing so much more for the cause?

I stay out of this conversation as much as I can every time it comes up. But I know that not everyone can relate and so it is easy to make a decision about this subject until you are the one that feels as if someone is pouring battery acid into your bladder 24/7.

Thanks for listening.

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2009, 05:43:12 PM »
I think that God expects us to use common sense, in your case it would be to take the medication to be functional. That was the reason I would take a mild narcotic for my migraines. I could not work, eat, read or anything, I was non-functional. I would always say try natural cures and remedies first but at some point it seems that God would expect us to use what is available to live a normal life. 

This is such a touchy subject and one that I have a difficult time with. While I am 100% for natural remedies and a huge proponent of them, I also know that there are exceptions to the rules. How do you tell the person who has a bladder shrivelled to the size of a walnut and so deteriorated that it cracks every time it expands, that they don't need to take anything for the excruciating pain? Yes, there are ways of treating this incurable disease, however, what about the person who went 30 years without a diagnosis and now their bladder is beyond help and the only cure is a bladder replacement. That carries it's own risks, such as paralysis from surgery, death...etc...

So yes, this is a personal experience and yes, for 30 years I tried everything, diet, exercise, etc.... and nothing helped and it only progressed. So I pray constantly that God will provide another answer and do my best. I know though that not many people can relate to the cancer-like pain I endure, and that I'm not much good to my kids or the Lord if I'm laying on the floor screaming in pain,  or crawling to the bathroom 60 times a day. So which do I do? Take the meds and suffer the judgement of my peers? Or don't take them and waste my life when I could be doing so much more for the cause?

I stay out of this conversation as much as I can every time it comes up. But I know that not everyone can relate and so it is easy to make a decision about this subject until you are the one that feels as if someone is pouring battery acid into your bladder 24/7.

Thanks for listening.

Esther 7

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2009, 06:33:41 PM »
After years of being consumed with guilt, this is the conclusion I have arrived to as well.
Thank you.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2009, 10:07:29 PM »
So I pray constantly that God will provide another answer and do my best. I know though that not many people can relate to the cancer-like pain I endure, and that I'm not much good to my kids or the Lord if I'm laying on the floor screaming in pain,  or crawling to the bathroom 60 times a day. So which do I do? Take the meds and suffer the judgement of my peers? Or don't take them and waste my life when I could be doing so much more for the cause?

Dear sister, I know that it is hard to read what is posted. But, it is not the desire of anyone who is posting here to "judge" you or anyone else who takes drugs. Most Christians going to heaven that are living today, break the fourth commandment. We do not sit in judgment of them. Only God can be their judge. So with this subject. Be it according to your faith. I do not think anyone here is going to tell you to not take drugs. I won't.  I just went through a long period of time helping my mother through her cancer treatments. She chose chemotherapy. I would not, but I not only did not judge her, but I did all I could to help her along. When the drugs had almost killed her the doctor allowed me to treat her infection with charcoal. When she got better she went back to eating dairy at the doctors advice. She had Leukemia and ingesting more of it did not help her. But, I did not judge her, I could only say that it was her decision, not mine. Be it according to her faith, not mine.

Hope this helps to encourage you that we pray for you, we do not judge you. We want you to find help. This is a large subject and there is more than meets the eye when we first begin. God will lead you just as He leads each one of us. He gives us just what we need day by day. You walk in the light you have, dear sister and God will bless.

Have a blessed Sabbath!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Esther 7

« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2009, 01:14:43 AM »
Thank you Brother Richard. Yes, it is a process that teaches one to walk daily with the Lord, and if that is what I must suffer to learn to rely on Him every step of the way, I suffer it gladly. By His Will.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2009, 10:43:36 AM »
Amen. But, our hope for you is that you find relief from your affliction. 

It is a sad truth that we often need a "thorn" in our side to keep us dependent upon the Lord. Paul acknowledged his need. It is that fallen nature that we inherited. We are dense. But, in Christ we can do all things!! We just need to hold on!

We glory in our tribulation because it works for our good and His glory! You have learned a lesson that many still do not understand. Like Job many murmur and complain when things get hard. Some even curse God. :( It is only because they do not know Him. If His love was understood, then may fall, but they would not curse the One who gave all for them.

I know I don't need to say it to you dear sister, but we all benefit from hearing it over and over.....All things work together for good to those who love the Lord. And you love Him.  You remain in our prayers.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Esther 7

« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2009, 02:28:49 AM »
You cheer my heart Brother Richard. Thank you.

Suzanne

« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2009, 05:32:16 PM »
Adverse Effects of Osteoporosis Meds

Widely used osteoporosis drugs-prescribed since the 1990--are being linked to previously unsuspected causes of serious heart problems, researchers have discovered.  Drugs such as Boniva, Fosomax, Reclast and Actonel may cause serious heart rhythm problems, which increase the risk for stroke and heart attack.

The drugs contain bisphosphonates, which a research team from  Wake Forest University School of Medicine has pinpointed as the cause of the heart problems.  The researchers made the discoveryi after they tracked the health records of 13,000 patients who were compared with a further 13,000 people who were given a placebo.  --Drug Safety, 2009; 32:219-28.

Comment on the overall use of various medicinal drugs: Yes, this is a difficult subject to deal with.  I suppose if I had constant pain I would do whatever it takes to be rid of it, at the same time praying, studying and researching the problem searching for the underlying cause.  Bless you dear Esther, we are praying for you.

Suzanne

Marelis

« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2009, 06:44:09 AM »
I think that God expects us to use common sense, in your case it would be to take the medication to be functional. That was the reason I would take a mild narcotic for my migraines. I could not work, eat, read or anything, I was non-functional. I would always say try natural cures and remedies first but at some point it seems that God would expect us to use what is available to live a normal life. 
I can relate, Richard.  As soon as I feel a migraine coming on, I can usually nip it in the bud with two medications and remain entirely functional.  Have tried many natural treatments, none of which helped.  If I become unwell at work and have to go home it is like stopping the traffic, affects a lot of people, and I'd be in a heap.  I'm also an asthmatic and can occasionally have a sudden acute exacerbation, need medication, without a second to lose. 

"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Marelis

« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2009, 07:04:31 AM »
Exactly.  And we cannot generalize about all medications as though they are all the same.  Natural treatments and prevention are the way to go, but there are occasions when the clear benefits of a medication need to be considered.  Pain is one of those occasions.  Just this week an elderly gentleman stopped to thank me for prescribing him an analgesic about five weeks ago.  He felt like a new person.  This was normally a cantankerous man, unpleasant and miserable, has arthritis from the neck down, medically unfit for surgery, lives alone, has no one to rub him with liniments etc. 
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Larry Lyons

« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2009, 01:15:21 PM »
I can relate, Richard.  As soon as I feel a migraine coming on, I can usually nip it in the bud with two medications and remain entirely functional.  Have tried many natural treatments, none of which helped.  If I become unwell at work and have to go home it is like stopping the traffic, affects a lot of people, and I'd be in a heap.  I'm also an asthmatic and can occasionally have a sudden acute exacerbation, need medication, without a second to lose. 

Marelis, for what its worth, the physician who wrote the book titled "Your Body's Many Crys for Water" claims that almost all headaches including migraines can be cured by drinking water. I don't recall his exact amounts and timing.

Won Bae

« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2009, 05:41:58 PM »
Some of the headaches can be relieved by treating TMJ Dysfunction.  Not too many health providers know this, but I have treated many with good results.  It is amzaing how those people get such a relief.

Won

Esther 7

« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2009, 01:43:31 AM »
I know alot of headaches are caused by dehydration. However, if a person is hydrated, has no TMJ, and has tried all other options, it is certainly reasonable for them to take the medication necessary to remain functional. It's not preferable, just understandable.

Marelis

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2009, 02:07:01 PM »
True, Won, TMJ dysfunction ought to be considered more often.  Certainly, dehydration contributes.  My headaches are especially triggered by hypoglycemia, fatigue, some smells such as petrol fumes.  Prevention, prevention.   

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2009, 06:56:26 PM »
I can relate to smells triggering headaches. For me it's perfumes. Church for me has become a place I go get a headache. Also fatigue, coupled with a drastic change in sleep schedules, something that in my line of work is common.

True, Won, TMJ dysfunction ought to be considered more often.  Certainly, dehydration contributes.  My headaches are especially triggered by hypoglycemia, fatigue, some smells such as petrol fumes.  Prevention, prevention.   

Esther 7

« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2009, 01:00:43 PM »
Adverse Effects of Osteoporosis Meds

Comment on the overall use of various medicinal drugs: Yes, this is a difficult subject to deal with.  I suppose if I had constant pain I would do whatever it takes to be rid of it, at the same time praying, studying and researching the problem searching for the underlying cause.  Bless you dear Esther, we are praying for you.

Suzanne

Just saw this Suzanne, thank you so much for your prayers. They are greatly appreciated.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2010, 11:05:49 AM »
Common bone drugs linked to esophageal cancer risk

By Kate Kelland

LONDON | Thu Sep 2, 2010 7:09pm EDT

LONDON (Reuters) - People who take a commonly used class of osteoporosis drugs called bisphosphonates for more than five years may be doubling their risk of developing cancer of the gullet or esophagus, a British study found on Friday.

Researchers who conducted the work said the results were worrying, but should not prompt doctors or patients to immediately change their practice on bisphosphonates, which are prescribed mainly to older people to help strengthen weak bones.

"We have to be concerned, but this is the first large study with long-term follow up that has found this effect, and it is just one observational study," said Jane Green of Oxford University's Cancer Epidemiology Unit, whose research was published in the British Medical Journal.

"Also, because esophageal cancer is uncommon, even a doubled risk is still a low risk," she said in a telephone interview.

Bisphosphonates are a class of drug designed to help prevent bone fractures and offset bone weakness associated with menopause and with osteoporosis. They include Merck & Co's Fosamax, Roche's Boniva, Novartis's Reclast and Warner Chilcott's Actonel.

Green and colleagues from Britain's Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) analyzed data from the UK General Practice Research database on men and women aged over 40 who had either esophageal cancer, stomach cancer or colorectal cancer diagnosed between 1995 and 2005.

They found that people with 10 or more prescriptions for bisphosphonates, or with prescriptions over about five years, had nearly double the risk of esophageal cancer compared with people with no bisphosphonate prescriptions.

Read more here: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6816HF20100902
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89