Author Topic: Side Effects of Drugs  (Read 60197 times)

Suzanne

Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »
Tylenol Warning

Because acetaminophen (the active ingredient in Tylenol) is less likely to cause stomach irritation than aspirin, some tend not to worry about consuming too much. Not a good idea!

Taking more than the recommended daily maximum of 4,000 mg--or 8 Extra Strength Tylenol tablets--can cause serious damage to the liver, brain, and kidneys. And this danger is even worse for those who also consume alcohol.

A recent University of Washington study revealed that accidental acetaminophen poisonings increased between 1998 and 2003, making them the most common cause of liver failure in the U.S. "People often don't realize that acetaminophen is included in many cold and flu medications, so they pop a Tylenol in addition to these products when they're not feeling well," notes study author Anne M. Larson, MD. --Prevention, Oct. 2006.

Suzanne

Esther 7

• http://
Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »
Yes, I actually found out that I had done much damage to myself after taking Tylenol and Advil for about 25 years. I was having stomach and liver and kidney problems and probably irreversible problems. So my doctor switched me to morphine which worked far more effectively anyway. Then I just recently found a medication that is non-narcotic and am able to reduce the amount of narcotics I take on a daily basis, so it's a miracle from God. I am so grateful to Him for this blessing!

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »
Amen. Yes some drugs are a miracle from God.

Redfog

quote:
Originally posted by Esther 7:
Yes, I actually found out that I had done much damage to myself after taking Tylenol and Advil for about 25 years. I was having stomach and liver and kidney problems and probably irreversible problems. So my doctor switched me to morphine which worked far more effectively anyway. Then I just recently found a medication that is non-narcotic and am able to reduce the amount of narcotics I take on a daily basis, so it's a miracle from God. I am so grateful to Him for this blessing!

Laughter is an instant vacation

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
Things are getting interesting when it comes to drugs.  God gave us the herbs for healing. Corporations when they can make a profit will find these herbs and process them into strong drugs. What is the difference between the herb God gave for healing and the drug made by man? One has a very small amount of the active healing agent that does not harm the body, and the other has a very large amount of the active chemical that hurts the body.

When we live in harmony with God's laws and find ourselves in need of natural remedies, God has provided them. Sadly, the church has partaken of the world and has not kept up with the opportunities given to utilize the herbs and to teach  proper health principles. Today, the church is in rebellion in the area of health by pushing a diet of milk and eggs which are causing much disease in men, women, and children. If people are going to refuse to walk in the light of our being, then drugs might as well be used because God will not bless the use of natural remedies when man continues to follow the course that caused the disease to  begin with.

The plan of healing that God has given involves making changes in the life to correct the mistakes that created the disease. This God will bless.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2008, 09:46:30 PM »
There are some Seventh-day Adventists that have for many years been warning about the dangers of drugs. And with those warnings have been presenting God's methods for healing. In the Prayer Forum, I have shared the experience I have gone through with my mother who was diagnosed with Leukemia last year. She chose to go through chemo. Such a painful treatment. It fails most of the time. In her case, when all of her white blood cells were destroyed she developed an infection in her intestines. This is common after such therapy because the drugs kill of all of the fast growing cells. The lining of the digestive tract is composed of fast reproducing cells. Then after they are killed off they produce a mass of dead cells that often lead to infection. With no immune system to fight the infection, death is almost certain. The anti-biotics do not work well without white blood cells. Most have never been told this, have you?

So, the attending physician told me that he did not think she was going to make it. At that point, I felt a need to involve myself in her treatment. Since their ways had failed, I saw no reason to not try God's ways. They worked. As Sister Dora has pointed out to our Brother Richard, a charcoal poultice does indeed fight infection inside the body. I applied the poultices for four days soon after the doctor had said she would not live. The infection cleared up. The danger was not over because the drugs had destroyed much else and that created problems for her heart, gall bladder and more. But, with God's help and His natural remedy, my mother lives.

It was not easy to treat her in this prestigious hospital. God had to work that out also. I put one of her physicians in contact with the head doctor at Uchee Pines and he had enough influence with the doctor to persuade him to allow the external treatment with charcoal. I know this will not convince all that God has given us alternatives to drugs, but I pray it will encourage some to put their faith in God and in His remedies. It is a subject that all ought to study for themselves. Many will die when it need not be so. The Right Arm Forum is full of valuable information regarding this subject.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Suzanne

« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2008, 05:42:47 PM »
Statin Drugs and Atrophied Muscles

Statins, a term applied to a widely prescribed set of drugs used to lower cholesterol, have been found to result in muscle weakness and pain, and even debilitating and life-threatening muscle damage for those who use them. Researchers have noted that a gene known as atrogin-1 plays a role in statin-related muscle toxicity.

Statins--such as Lipitor, Zocor, Pavacol and Mevacor--may activate the gene atrogin-1. Three separate tests have shown that even at low concentrations, statin drugs led to atrogin-1 induced muscle damage. As the concentration was increased, the damage increased as well. --The Journal of Clinical Investigation, December 2007.

Suzanne

Suzanne

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2008, 03:20:05 PM »
Caution: Bone-building Drugs

Heavily advertised and commonly recommended by mainstream doctors to fight osteoporosis, bisphosphonates (including Fosamax. Actonel, and Boniva) may actually weaken bone in some individuals. During a process called resorption, the human skeleton constantly dissolves bits of old bone and builds new bone. Because bisphosphonates slow the process of dissolution, they inhibit the rebuilding process.  People who take these preparations for 5 years or more may be at risk for femur fracture.

Some medical researchers suggest that anyone using long-term bisphosphonates consider taking time off the drugs.  Calcium, magnesium, boron, and vitamins D and K have been shown to reduce the risk of osteoporosis. Women at risk for osteoporosis should have their vitamin D levels checked, since many Americans are low in this vitamin. 

Then too, magnesium deficiency is common among women with osteoporosis, and several sltudies link supplementation with this mineral to increased bone density.  Getting sufficient amounts of bone-building vitamins and minerals through diet and supplements as a teen can support bone density later in life.  And women of all ages can support their bone health with weight-bearing exercises. --New York Times, Sept. 15, 2008, etc.

Suzanne

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2008, 03:18:41 PM »
A somber warning from a woman who learned more than a little about the dangers of drugs:

Narcotics, Introduction of, Into Foreign Lands by Christians, a Cause for Judgment.--The whole heathen world will rise up in judgment against those whom heaven has favored the most, but who have placed themselves on Satan's side, and worked in his lines to bring their soul-destroying narcotics to foreign lands, to pollute and destroy the heathen nations with their defiling and health-destroying drugs. For the sake of a revenue, a professedly Christian nation have forced their traffic upon the heathen nations at the point of the sword, and thus compelled them to accept their merchandise, which would in using degrade the people below the level of the brute creation.--Ms 49, 1897.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2008, 05:55:32 PM »
This is such a sad story. My husband took diazepam to help with the effects of chemotherapy and he regularly saw men in red shirts and was convinced I was trying to kill him. What a dangerous drug even when taken as prescribed.

Suicide of paranoid preacher

9:32pm Wednesday 5th November 2008
By Chris Walker » oxfordmail.co.uk

A church minister took his own life just seven days after being given anti-depressants and being signed off work with stress, an inquest heard.

David Spearing, a pastor at the Seventh-day Adventist Church was found hanged from a tree in Iffley Fields on June 23.

An inquest at Oxford Coroners’ Court heard how the 48-year-old’s mental state had deteriorated in the months leading up to his death and he had asked to be removed from his preaching post at the Adventist Church in Cowley to take up duties at two quieter parish churches in Swindon and Cheltenham.

His GP, Dr Eleanor Holloway, told the inquest that Mr Spearing went to her surgery with symptoms two months before he died.

Dr Holloway, of the Bartlemas Surgery, in East Oxford, said Mr Spearing complained of feeling panicky at times and wondered whether he “could carry on”.

She said: “He had no specific thoughts of suicide and said his religion would protect him from any actions of self harm.”

On June 16 Mr Spearing returned to the doctor and was prescribed diazepam and signed off work for a fortnight.

A day after taking his first diazepam tablet Mr Spearing attempted to kill himself by overdosing on cocodomal and was found by his wife of 12 years, Lillian, in a river in Iffley Fields before being taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital.

Mrs Spearing, 39, said: “The first time he was paranoid was at the hospital and he thought someone was filming him.

“That weekend he started to be quite paranoid and he was convinced that he was dying and the tablets were still in his stomach and killing him.

“He felt very, very bad about what he had done and he thought he couldn’t face standing up in front of people and preaching.

“He was very afraid his employer would find out. He actually thought he was going to have a slow and painful death.”

Mrs Spearing, of Argyle Street, Cowley said the couple had gone to bed as normal on June 22 but when she woke up the following morning he was not in bed and she feared the worst.

She said: “He promised me the night before he wasn’t going to do anything like that (suicide attempt) again.

“He promised me he would wake me up if he got panicked in the middle of the night.

“I was very worried. He had told me before he was thinking of hanging himself.

“I had a conversation with him and told him how it would shock me, so he promised he wouldn’t do anything like that.”

Mr Spearing’s body was found by police officers in Iffley Fields the next morning.

Pathologist Elizabeth Soilleux said toxicological results showed traces of Diazepam in Mr Spearing’s blood.

Coroner Nicholas Gardener recorded a verdict that Mr Spearing took his own life.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2009, 08:21:17 PM »
The following was posted in the Diabetes thread, but I thought it ought to be here also.

Drugs prescribed to 100,000 patients in Britain to treat diabetes double the risk of heart failure, a study has suggested. The finding is a blow to GlaxoSmithKline, whose drug Avandia is one of the drugs involved.

The new analysis, which pools data from 78,000 patients, finds that one in fifty patients treated with either Avandia or a similar drug, Actos, for two and a half years would be admitted to hospital with heart failure. source

second source

colporteur

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2009, 08:41:47 PM »
I have appreciated the posting on this thread and am sorry for the bad experiences due to drugs. We seem to often be weak of faith when disease develops and rather than listen to God and our natural doctors we or our families resort to the temptation to use drugs. We tend to be slow to believe in natural methods and quick to listen to "the experts." We have lady in church who will state that she is all for the health message yet is on 9 drugs.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2009, 11:03:52 PM »
Yes, dear brother, it is often a matter of faith. Faith in God's counsel. On the other hand, some who may be new in the faith have just not had time to understand what has been given to us as a people. The light is great and it is very sad to understand that many long in the faith have never studied the light given. Many of the books remain unread. :(

colporteur

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2009, 06:31:54 AM »
Yes, dear brother, it is often a matter of faith. Faith in God's counsel. On the other hand, some who may be new in the faith have just not had time to understand what has been given to us as a people. The light is great and it is very sad to understand that many long in the faith have never studied the light given. Many of the books remain unread. :(

Absolutely !  The person I was referring to has been in the church over 30 years. Even those who have been in the church a while are confused because there are so many voices of authority, even in the church, that say in a host of different ways, God says but I think."  One forum moderator on another forum, that was a part of drug use as his occupation said that it is not the "official SDA church position" that we do not use any drug medications. That might be. It is also the official church position that approves divorce under the broad condition of "abandonment." This man even said jokingly that "we marinade the brains of our mental patients with drugs."  This was partly jest but the reality.

blessings;
cp

stephen

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2009, 12:11:39 PM »
Drugs do not cure disease.  Only God cures disease!

Drugs' 'side effects' are meerly how the drug changed the nature and location of the disease. 

Zep 1:11 Howl, ye inhabitants of Maktesh, for all the merchant people are cut down; all they that bear silver are cut off.

Zep 1:12 And it shall come to pass at that time, [that] I will search Jerusalem with candles, and punish the men that are settled on their lees: that say in

colporteur

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2009, 07:05:29 PM »

Is it also not true that there are natural antibiotics such as garlic which are very effective and do not kill the good bacteria that is so important to health ?

I notice consistently, that when "drugs" comes up in the SOP Mrs. White does not qualify good drugs and bad drugs but says that we should be treating people without the use of drugs.

Perhaps an antibiotic is better than nothing when one is mistreating their body, has pneumonia,  and does not know or use natural methods but this is not the way to treat disease.

I believe it is highly questionable that inoculations have prevented much disease. Why the inoculation gets the credit the truth is that some of these epidemic diseases simply ran their course and either the stronger survived and built an immunity or else there were lifestyle changes such as better hygiene and clean water that brought the results that the inoculations were given credit for. It is very possible if we had all knowledge and could see as God does that we would see that over the long run that inoculations like other worldly methods of treating disease have caused more loss of life and diseases than they have cured or prevented; the flu shots and childhood compound inoculations for instance.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2009, 10:32:52 PM »
I do not see immunization in the same light as "drug" therapy. Maybe we ought to just speak to the issue for a moment since it has come up in this thread. We have a discussion on immunizations, so we don't want to get off too far from why it is that drugs and immunizations may be different.

Drugs are being touted to cure disease. There is a basis for this thinking. Drugs mostly came from herbal sources. Herbs have remedial agents. These agents are concentrated in drugs and what did not create a problem in its natural state, does when made into a strong drug.

Unlike drugs, immunizations work on a different principle. The immune system is able to create white blood cells to fight disease. These white blood cells can be created ahead of an infection if given an immunization. Is there a risk? I think so. Is is justifiable?  Maybe at one time. Today, many of the immunizations are made from animal sources. If it is not wise to eat animal products, how much more dangerous to inject it directly into the blood stream!

It is sad that those who have been given so much light can have neglected to improve the light. We are not left to ourselves. Christ promised us the Comforter who would lead us into all truth. I think we can rely upon Him  in this area as well as Scripture.

What do you think, Brother cp?  Can you see wisdom here?

colporteur

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2009, 06:03:34 AM »
Richard;

It is interesting that I was thinking the same thing in terms of mixing the two topics. They are only similar in that I believe there is some credible  evidence  suggesting that drugs and inoculations actually not only tend to hinder the bodies ability to prevent or fight disease but in some instances  bring on disease. My mother got the flu every time she received the inoculation. She has stopped now for several years and has not had the flu since. We know that several inoculations even yet today contain Thimersol and other mercury compounds. Innoculations are not only, as you say, many times an animal product but are often contaminated through carelessness.  Some child vaccinations contain several in the mix which hits the body simultaneously  with a tornado of anticipated diseases. The vaccinations are often injected into the muscle which is foreign to how disease enters the body. Booster shots reveal that at best that some of these vaccinations are temporary. The powers that be realize the hazards involved. This is why even though they require or at least pressure for vaccinations they make you sigh a disclaimer so they are not liable.

I have seen statistics that suggest that our people were already on the road to recovery from some of the past plague like-diseases when the the vaccine was introduced. Of course, it is more gratifying to claim a cure form a vaccine than fresh water or better sanitary conditions. Some of, if not all of these diseases are in one country or another still today. Where there is no vaccination often a large number of people never become infected. Sanitary conditions, a good diet, and other responsible lifestyle practices seem to have a greater impact than inoculations. I suppose these statistics are difficult to substantiate but it makes sense that disease has a cause and it is not a lack of vaccination that causes disease.  Vaccinations like drugs seek to deal with disease without really finding the real cure.

Suzanne

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2009, 03:22:20 PM »
Antidepressants & Bone Loss

Adverse side effects and a growing number of warnings aren't the only reasons to think twice about antidepressant drugs.  Two studies--one following men and another women--link selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) with increased bone loss.

Whether you're feeling sad or mad, nutritional supplements--particularly B-vitamin complex and calcium/magnesium--plus stress reduction techniques may help.  "For people who can't tolerate, don't like, or don't respond to drugs," Lawson R Wulsin, MD, professor of psychiatry and family medicine at the Univeristy of Cincinnati, recommends omega-3 fatty acids, along with cognitive or interpersonal therapy, exercise and light therapy.  --Taste For Life, Sept. 2007.

Comment:  SSRIs include Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, Pamelor, and Effexor.

Suzanne

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2009, 09:09:09 PM »
The bottom line that we all have to ask ourselves is: does taking a drug outweigh the negative effect of that drug. To take it to the extreme, if a drug saves 100 lives while killing 90 then the drug should be taken.
Laughter is an instant vacation

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2009, 01:25:47 AM »
There is a way which seemeth  right unto man, but the ways thereof are the ways of death.

God has formed laws which govern our constitutions, and these laws which He has placed in our being are divine, and for every transgression there is affixed a penalty, which must sooner or later be realized. The majority of diseases which the human family have been and still are suffering under, they have created by ignorance of their own organic laws. They seem indifferent in regard to the matter of health, and work perseveringly to tear themselves to pieces, and when broken down and debilitated in body and mind, send for the doctor and drug themselves to death.

I think this pretty well sums of the human condition. And, in Laodicea, it is no different.