Author Topic: Side Effects of Drugs  (Read 60190 times)

Suzanne

Side Effects of Drugs
« on: January 11, 2001, 01:38:00 PM »
Over the past several years the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has forced the removal of several pharmaceutical drugs: Rezulin for diabetes, Redux and Pondimin for weight loss, Seldane and Hismanal for allergies, Posicor for blood pressure, Duract for pain relief, Propulsid for heartburn and Lotronex for digestive difficulties.

Dr. Jane Henney, the commissioner of the FDA, predicts that there will be more recalls. Drugs are being pushed through before all the pertinent information has been tabulated and analyzed. More than this, people are been prescribed various combinations that have never been tested in conjunction with each other. For example Seldane and Hismanal seemed like incredibly safe antihistamines, but some people died when they took these allergy medicines together with certain other drugs or even grapefruit juice.

Rezulin was hailed as a breakthrough for diabetes. However, some people developed unpredictable liver damage, leading to organ transplants or even death. Propulsid seemed to be a valuable drug for serious heartburn and other digestive tract complications, but because it interacts in a deadly way with so many other medicines, the FDA has made it almost impossible to access.

And the list goes on and on. A 6-year study showed that the amphetamine-like stimulant phenylpropanolamine (PPA), in spite of decades of use as a decongestant and a weight-loss drug, increases the risk of hemorrhagic stroke, especially in young women. The FDA subsequently declared it to be unsafe and asked manufacturers to pull medications containing PPA off pharmacy shelves. This drug has been on the market since the mid-1930s and consumers have taken 6 billion doses of it annually, in such products as Alka-Seltzer, Robitussin, Dexatrim and Tavist-D. Many popular cold and diet pills also contained this compound.

Virtually all drugs have the potential to cause side effects. Many medications interact dangerously with others. And many take a frightening array of prescription and  over-the-counter medications. Unexplained bruising can be an early warning sign of a drug-induced blood disorder. So can a persistent sore throat, cough and mouth ulcers. Heart palpitations or dizziness may signal a heart rhythm abnormality brought on by medication, as can mental confusion and disorientation.

Constipation has been listed as a side effect of most drugs. More than this, new diseases are being introduced as a result of the devastating side effects of a large number of the 21st century drugs. And   more than 100,000 people die each year from serious drug reactions. (Adapted from the Riverside, Calif. Press-Enterprise, Jan. 9, 2001; and "Time," Jan. 15, 2001).

Brothers and sisters, what is going on here? Isn't it time we restudy and implement our health message as it covers these pertinent issues? Yes, the Lord in His mercy has given us a program that eliminates drugs and outlines how we are to live in health and happiness, so we can serve Him better.

"My dear friends, instead of taking a course to baffle disease, you are petting it and yielding to its power. You should avoid the use of drugs, and CAREFULLY OBSERVE THE LAWS OF HEALTH. If you regard your life, you should eat plain food, prepared in the simplest manner, and take more physical exercise. Each member of the family needs the benefits of health reform. But drugging should be forever abandoned; for while it does not cure any malady, it enfeebles the system, making it more susceptible to disease."  Ellen White, "Counsels on Diet and Foods."  

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 01-11-2001).]

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
    • http://www.drdugaldlewis.com
Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2001, 05:41:00 PM »
Dear Sister Suzanne,

The increasing incidence of drug effects and interactions makes me question how careful researchers are today.

Most big pharmaceutical companies are in such a rush to bring new drugs to market that sometimes drug trials may not be properly conducted.

Sincerely
Dugald

Suzanne

Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2001, 03:02:00 PM »
Blood Pressure Control: It's Never Too Late

Researchers at Tulane University in New Orleans found that half of the 875 people they studied were able to stop taking blood pressure medication with no adverse effects by losing a modest 7.7 pounds and reducing their sodium intake by just 25 percent. And about a third of those people who only lost weight, or only cut back on salt, were also able to stop taking their medication. --"Journal of the American Medical Association, March 1998.

This study of 60 to 80 year olds confirms that "no matter what has happened to you in the preceding 6 decades, you can still turn high-blood pressure around," says Paul Whelton, MD, the study's main researher.

Add half an hour or so of easy exercise such as walking to your daily routine. Examine your diet and pare excess calories. And find our where the salt in your diet is coming from by reading labels and choosing low-salt, low-fat foods. --"Prevention," July 1998.

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 01-15-2001).]

Suzanne

Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 02:49:00 PM »
Prescription Drugs

You may recall that in 2001, new guidelines were issued for cholesterol by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI). What you may not know is that the guidelines were issued by panel members who had financial ties to drug companies. They recommended that the number of people being prescribed cholesterol-lowering drugs should increase from 13 to 36 million--a near tripling of profits for pharmaceutical companies.

Recently, the NHLBI released another set of guidelines. This time for high blood pressure, which affects 50 million in the U.S. It seems that if you have what has long been considered to be normal blood pressure, 120/80, you now have hypertension. The panel while mentioning certain lifestyle factors that can address this malady, was quick to recommend more drugs. And like the cholesterol panel, members of this panel also have ties to companies selling blood pressure drugs. --adapted from Let's Live, aug. 2003.

Make no mistake, folks, these problems can be prevented by adequate exercise and a correct plant-based dietary regimen as advocated by the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy. You owe it to yourself and to your family and loved ones to become knowledgeable in how to prevent the many maladies stalking modern men and women.

~Suzanne~

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
    • http://www.drdugaldlewis.com
Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2003, 07:42:00 PM »
Dear Sister Suzanne,

The drug crisis in our country is becoming uncontrollable. The judgment of many of our elected leaders and physicians have long been purchased with money from the pharmaceutical industry.

With over 100,000 yearly deaths attributable to prescription drugs, the advertising and commercial tactics parallels the tobacco industry in its modus operandus.

We cannot expect that our elected officials would oppose the tactics of the pharmaceutical industry. This trend also parallels their response to the tobacco industry.

Our greatest need is for physicians of integrity to oppose the mental manipulation
of that industry and to be willing to pursue the more challenging methods of disease prevention with which we have been entrusted as SDA's. Let us therefore pray for revival and reformation among SDA physicians.

Dugald

[This message has been edited by Dugald T Lewis MD (edited 08-30-2003).]

Suzanne

Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 10:56:00 AM »
More Info on Prescription Drugs

Drug companies try to seduce us with good reports about "miracle" drugs while hiding the bad news.

Yes, these companies love to push their products as panaceas. Once-glowing medical reports touted horse estrogens and progestins as cures for menopausal symptoms, osteoporosis, heart disease and Alzheimer's. Later studies confirmed what was brushed aside 25 years ago: These drugs increase a woman's risk of heart disease and cancer.

Drug companies are getting richer by giving glowing reports of on "new" drugs while playing down the bad news. Recent examples are statin cholesterol-lowering drugs, such as Lipitor, Mevacor, Pravachol and Zocor. Baycol, another statin, was banned after causing many cases of liver failure.

Over 12 million Americans now take statin drugs. But there is a push to increase this number. One so-called "health group" claims that 36 million Americans should be taking statins, as they supposedly reduce the risk of osteoporosis, multiple sclerosis and Alzheimer's.

So what's the problem with this picture? For one thing, it ignores the fact that diet and lifestyle are major influences on heart disease risk. You can lower your cholesterol by eating more fruits and veggies and fewer sugars, refined carbs, and bad fats. You can also take safe cholesterol-lowering supplements, such as chromium, garlic, niacin, oat bran, etc.

And statins have a dangerous side effect. They lower cholesterol by limiting the body's production of HMG-CoA reductase, an enzyme which also suppresses the production of C0Q10, a nutrient that keeps the heart healthy and reduces cancer risk. This may explain in part why heart failure and liver problems can be side effects of statins.

No we are not making this up....The drug companies have had this info for at least 15 years. Indeed Merck, one of the world's largest drug companies, own patents for using C0Q10 with its Zocor. --adapted from Let's Live, February 2004.

Side Effects from Statins

Yes, these "wonder drugs" have a hidden side effect! According to an aritcle in Prevention, July 2003, these drugs can cause mystery aches, soreness, weakness, fatigue, difficulty walking and getting out of bed. The cause, according to one study  is muscle or nerve damage. Researchers found that there may be a link between statins and severe muscle damage--of a sneaky sort that eludes the standard blood test (creatin kinase) for muscle breakdown.

Some medical scientists in large cholesterol clinics think that up to 1 in 10 people who take statins may have a form of this muscle toxicity. They may just feel tired, or have trouble getting out of a low chair.

More than this, a huge Danish study found that long-term statin users had a 4 to 14 times higher risk of peripheral neuropathy, nerve damage that can cause weakness, pain, and trouble walking.

Statins, it seems deplete C0Q10, the natural antioxidant that helps the body's cells produce energy.

Diet and exercise are suggested as a natural way to lower cholesterol. --adapted

Suzanne

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 02-08-2004).]

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 12:43:00 PM »
I am so glad I refused to take this stuff when the dr. tryed to get me on it.

About the Statin drugs like Lipitor. You said they are banned. But they are still selling them. My daughter takes Lipitor. What is the best thing to put her on? I am going to take her off of the stuff. She takes it for high cholesterol.

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Suzanne

Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 03:47:00 PM »
Sister Glass, Baycol is the only statin drug that has been banned. Regarding your daughter, I would suggest that you watch her closely for any side effects and see that she eats plenty of fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc. Adequate exercise is always needed for this or any other problem. We will pray with you that the Lord will direct and guide you in the right direction.

~Suzanne~

Sister Marie

Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2004, 08:36:00 PM »
We are eating really healthy now. But I would still like to get her on something natural, rather than Lipitor. Any ideas?

I am going to take her to a Lipitor every other day and then quit it and see how she does without it.

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Sister Marie

Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 09:48:00 AM »
We have a small church as it is. And in the last few years we have had death hit out church hard. Early this year one man died of a long fight with cancer. A short time ago this year another man died. And we have at least four people with cancer. One is Termanal and the others we are not sure about yet. One lady was told that her cancer is from the estrogen replacements she was given. I can't think what the name of it was. I am so glad I never listened to my dr. and took that stuff. I was tempted because my bone density has gone down. The hips is one place it is especially bad. But we need to stay off this estrogen replacements ladies. The drs. push it (not as much now as in the past) but it is killing so many that we never hear of.
Could we please talk about building estrogen and bone density naturally?

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

WendyForsyth

• http://
Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2004, 12:31:00 AM »
Sister Marie,

Wouldn't it make sense to add COQ10 to your daughter's diet? It seemed from the article that this would counteract the effects of the lipitor. Just a thought.

Also, here is a link for some natural estrogen replacement therapy to help maintain bone density. I'm off of Estrogen completely and I was told I would need it after my hysterectomy. I've never felt better in my life. I tried replacement patches and it turned me into a monster literally. Horrid person. So yes, there are many reasons to avoid it.

link

Hope this helps!

Wendy

I have no doubt that God considers you to be one of His friends; otherwise He would not trust you with so many crosses, sufferings and humiliations. Crosses are God's means of drawing souls closer to Himself.

Fenelon

Sister Marie

Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2004, 03:21:00 AM »
Thank you for the link Sister Wendy. I will check it out. I have not been able to sleep at all tonight so far so here I am. I had Carol on Q10 and I could not tell that it helped at all. No one told me it would help high C. But They did tell me of two products that we really good for it. She is taking Red Yeast Rice tablets. I am having her C. checked soon also to see if it is helping. If not, I will try the other one. I can only afford so much of these things and have to choose what I feel may do the most help according to the man at S&S in Chico's health food store that is very up on these things. He did suggest Q10 with several other things, but did not say the Q10 was for high C. I got everything at first, but can't continue that, it was over $100.

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

[This message has been edited by Sister Glass (edited 05-16-2004).]

With Christian Love,
Marie

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2005, 08:30:00 AM »
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is investigating 120 deaths among users of patches that emit the painkiller fentanyl. "The directions must be followed exactly to prevent death or other severe side effects from overdosing," the FDA warned in letters to doctors that also advise prescribing the lowest possible dose.
ABC News
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Sister Marie

Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2005, 11:00:00 AM »
Update on Q-10. What I have since learned is that the medication for high Cholestrol while does keep her Cholestrol down, also takes out of the body it's natural Q-10. Q-10 is what makes the heart strong. So the medication may be keeping her Cholestrol down but hurting her heart a lot. So I have her on 100mg. of Q-10 every day. plus vitimins. I continue the Cholestrol medication because her Cholestrol and Trygliserites go sky high without it and natural things don't seem to help keep especially, her Trygliserites down at all.

She is on a lot of medications now with the high Cholestrol, and with them taking her throid out due to graves diease and cancer. And she takes medication for a mental diease too. It is all too much.... but I'm afraid to take her off of any of it and can't afford lots of things from the health food store every month.  :(

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

David MD

• http://www.allenmd.com
Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2005, 06:31:00 PM »
There was a recent article in "Internal Medicine News" of a study of COQ10 for migraine prevention and it worked as well as more standard drugs for migraine prevention.   I also think it is wise to take COQ10 if you require a statin (lipitor etc.).  

I have recommended “red rice yeast extract” to some of my patient rather than a statin.  It is a “natural alternative” but has similar side effects and must work by the same mechanism.  I had one person have muscle aching and another with elevated liver function test after taking.  COQ10 should be taken if you take red rice yeast extract.

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2005, 07:30:00 PM »
I think we need to take heed of what Mrs. White said about drugs in that they should be used sparingly, not totally done away with. She herself used them.

I think that here in the US we've come to the point that we think drugs are a substitute for unhealthy living and of course this is just not true. However there are cases where a person lives to the best of their knowledge and follow health principles as laid down in the Bible and SOP and they still have health problems. In those cases I feel that the judicial use of drugs is not only smart but in accordance with her writings.

And lets not throw out vaccines when we cut down on our drug use for they have truly saved millions of lives and have done much to alleviate suffering.

RichardS

[This message has been edited by Richard Sherwin (edited 07-18-2005).]

Laughter is an instant vacation

Suzanne

Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2005, 04:05:00 PM »
Brethren, the take home message in all this is simple: Pharmeceutical drugs, while providing rapid relief of symptoms, do not correct the underlying cause of the various diseases. Here, lifestyle is involved. What we do and eat on a day to day basis is of paramount importance. No drug can correct a nutritional deficiency or imbalance. Only nutrients can do this.

Again, our health message as presented in the Bible and Spirit of Prophecy is really the only answer to the health crisis that is raging in this country.

Suzanne

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2005, 09:43:00 PM »
Amen! Not only have we been told that animal products are causing cancer and other infectious diseases, but we have been given light in all areas of health including natural rememdies. (they do not replace needed surgery).
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Sherwin

• Keeper of Bees
Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2005, 03:45:00 AM »
There are some drugs that can heal and do things that no life style change can accomplish.

If you cut yourself and get an infection anti-biotics will usually heal that infection. They have saved millions of lives around the world that would otherwise be lost.

Vaccines have virtually wiped out certain diseases that would never have been wiped out without them.

Other drugs have taken over when nothing else has helped. Many times due to hereditary tendencies some people are prone to, for instance, high cholesterol, and for them there no life style that can lower it. Only drugs can, giving them a longer more productive life.

Yes many drugs have been abused and many times a simple lifestyle change would do the trick but lets not forgo the modern knowledge that God has given us in these last days and abandon altogether those things that can heal and save lives. Mrs. White says that drugs should be little used, not thrown out completely.

RichardS

Laughter is an instant vacation

Suzanne

Side Effects of Drugs
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 03:19:00 PM »
Merck Sued Over Fosamax Health Risks

Merck & Co., which already faces more than 9,000 lawsuits over its Vioxx painkiller, misrepresented the safety of its osteoporosis drug Fosamax by withholding warnings that it could kill jawbone tissue, according to a lawsuit filed April 10, 2006.

Linda Seacrest, 59, sued Merck, accusing it of failing to warn doctors and patients that Fosamax could hamper blood flow to the jaw. She began taking the drug in 2000 and was diagnosed with jawbone tissue death in 2005. This condition is irreversible.

The pharmaceutical giant should be ordered to change the Fosamax prescribing information given to doctors and pay the cost of medical monitoring for users, Secrest contends.

The complaint, filed in federal court in Fort Myers, Florida, seeks to represent over 10 million Fosamax uisers. It is the second of about 200 suits that Secrest's attorney, Tim O'Brien plans to file.

A Merck spokesman said claims of jawbone tissue death caused by Fosamax were "exceedingly rare." A warning notice was added to the drug's label in July 2005 at the Food and Drug Administration's request, he said.

Fosamax and Fosamax Plus D together are the most prescribed medicine for osteoposisis in post-menopausal women. --adapted from the Riverside, Calif. Press-Enterprise, April 11, 2006.

Suzanne