Author Topic: Vitamin B-12  (Read 46305 times)

Michelle

• http://
Vitamin B-12
« on: September 20, 2000, 11:20:00 AM »
Just got this article online from Honolulu Star Bulletin about Vitamin B-12 deficiency in vegetarians--what do you know about this?  When I was nursing my first son, my pediatrician told me to take VIT B supplements just to be on the safe side.  What do those of you who are vegans do to ensure your B vitamin intake is sufficient?  I'm not quite vegan yet, but have been moving that way more and more, and am not sure what this study really means.  The URL is http://starbulletin.com/2000/09/13/features/health.html<P>I'm sure someone on this forum can come up with some answer!  Michelle

Curt

Re: Vitamin B-12
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2000, 05:45:00 PM »
Linda,
     there are two critical questions qith B-12 as with other nutrients. (1) Is there enough in the daily intake? (2) Is it being absorbed?

Critical to absorbtion is the health of the intestinal system and the presence  of the intrinsic factor. Do you have information on the intrinsic factor and the work it does, type of environment and whether PH has any positive and/or negative impact on it?

Also, vegetarians have a tendencey to take in excessive protein because of the teaching that by not using animal products they are deficient in protein. Is there a relationship to excess protein and low B-12 availability?

------------------
Maranatha

FAITH - As God's blessed sons & daughters we are to attempt the impossible to the extent that we will fail unless God steps in.   Keep the faith

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2000, 07:22:00 PM »
Curt,

This is Linda, sitting here going, "HUH?"  I'm trying to figure out how come you addressed me and not Michelle, or is it another Linda?

Anyway, Michelle, according to information that I have picked up on the web, there is still information coming in on B-12.  You can get soymilk, and some meat analogs that are fortified with B-12.  Look on the label and see if it says it contains "vitamin B-12" or it may be listed by its name "cyanocobalamine."  Once source of all B vitamins is Red Star T-6635+ nutritional yeast (1-2 teaspoons supplies the adult RDA of B-12).  It can be called Fleishman's yeast flakes or nutritional yeast or food yeast.  It can be used on toast, in soups, casseroles, beans (especially lentils), and is a primary ingredient in cashew "cheese".  It can be found in almost any health food store.  Just be careful not to confuse it with brewer's yeast.  They are not the same thing.  While both are dead yeasts, meaning they can no longer work as leavening or fermenting agents, brewer's yeast is grown on alcoholic beverages, nutritional yeast is grown on molassas and has a mild flavor.

Hope this helps a little, Linda

O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Curt

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2000, 04:47:00 AM »
Sis. Linda,
          please forgive me. I guess I am somewhat new to the protocol here. Suzanne is the moderator and you also provide some very helpful conributions.

I have just read the responses in the other thread on the Vegan Diet and  I fully agree with the statement in SOP on the adequate nutrition provided in Fruits, nuts, grains and vegetables. However, when the question is put to me by non-SDA persons it is hard to answer. I have a Director who made the full change to vegetarianism and he and his wife had been examined by their physician and told to use supplements or go back to fish, etc for B-12. He asked me about it and I would like to go back to him with some research info that backs SOP.

Anyway, I am wondering which of these two threads I should continue in. I will wait to see. Again, Linda and Suzanne please forgive my last slipup.

FAITH - As God's blessed sons & daughters we are to attempt the impossible to the extent that we will fail unless God steps in.   Keep the faith

Liane H

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2000, 08:41:00 PM »
Go to the vegan diet report for the outline of what Dr. Thrash says about b-12.

I have some friends who have been on a on-going study of Adventist since the early 60's.  This study has been funded in large by the federal government over these years.  Perhaps someone else know what I am talking about.  

What this study produced is the new triangle arangements of the food lists that shows that meat should be a very small portion of your food and the increase to 20 to 30 grams of fiber a day.

What this study has found, I wish I knew how to find the report.  My friends are on the road and cannot get it from them.

But that Adventist Vegetarians outlived secular vegans by four years.  

Overall Adventist outlived all groups by far.

So Richard is right, some vegetarians may include in their diet things that Adventist don't and that is why they live longer.

Someone who reviewed this report also came to the conclusion that resting on the Sabbath does make a significant difference in health and well being overall was found. That is why there has been in resent years the encourgement for employers to give people more R&R days off.  

I will also ask my friend about b-12.

Liane

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2000, 08:47:00 PM »
Sister Michelle,  when my wife was pregnant I became more concerned about this subject than I had been before.  We found a non-animal source of B-12 and supplemented her diet while pregnant.  

I might suggest a good resource for you as you study this subject and others of a similar nature. (Sister Suzanne does a very good job here).  Uchee Pines, in my estimation has been blessed as they have striven to follow the counsels we have been given.  The single greatest blessing to come to my family through the human channel since becoming a Seventh-day Adventist has been the help I have received from Drs. Agatha and Calvin Thrash who founded the ministry.

God has richly blessed their work. While being faithful to the light we have been given, they are in such demand in the church that they have little time to visit with us. Dr. Calvin has been online here a few times.

You will find their link in the Web Sites forum. Other good sources include Weimar and Wildwood. Also, Phylis Austin has done a very good work that you will appreciate. She has done a lot of research in many of the areas of concern in natural remedies and preventive medicine. SCIENCE/HEALTH ABSTRACTS can be found at http://www.tagnet.org/abstracts/search.html

Good searching!    :)

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Suzanne

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2000, 11:50:00 AM »
Brothers and sisters these posts are being transferred from the "Vegan Diet Report," posted by Won Bae on 10-2-2000.

"My wife handed me a Norweigian newspaper. The English Snynopsis as follows:

"Children who are vegan have reduced intelligence and memory because they do not obtain enough Vitamin B-12, according to a new Norweigian study. Although that does not mean that parents should stop making their children eat vegetables, the results of the Norweigian-Dutch study are discouraging; a lack of the vitamin can lead to serious neurological damage. The study involvd 48 seemingly healthy vegan children.
--0--

Liane - 10-2-2000

They should read what Dr. Thrash has to say about that. I think she would disagree.

--0--

Richard Myers - 10-2-2000

It is a wonderful thing to have a Bible and also the writings of a modern day prophet. There is much to fear without God, but nothing to fear with Him. Daniel showed the benefit of following God rather than man.

The healthiest and most intelligent people I know are strict vegetarians--third generation in some cases. Now, to be a strict vegetarian is not to guarantee good health and intelligence; there is much more required for good health than not eating diseased animal products.

There are some strict vegetarians that use drugs on a daily basis and during pregnancy. There are others who drink coffee and tea and beer, etc. There are some, not many, who smoke. Many studies are quite flawed and draw false conclusions. It happens every day.

In order to have good health, one must follow all the light, not just part of it. If children continue to eat things that are not healthful, and do not eat what is necessary, they will not have good health even if they do not eat animal products.

I am not up to date on the studies of SDAs, but I would suggest looking at these studies first since it is there where you will find those that have been granted the light from on high in regards to good health.

I suppose the devil has his counterfeits with strict vegetarians as well as in the other areas of religious matters. I know that there are some who are strict vegetarians and say that fruit is unhealthful. I don't suppose their children are goind to be very smart or healthy. We can praise Jesus for the wisdom He has given to His people and to the world.

Let us remember that the world is as it was at the time of Noah and most of the children in this world are suffering in consequence. To eliminate unhealthful animal products is a good start, but cannot make one healthy while violating the laws of health.

--0--

Richard Myers - 1-7-2000

It is a blessing to have an opportunity to address the concern for the health of our children. Ir is for their sake that I cannot remain silent. While there are some that will resist any effort to change their own lifestyle, there are others who will gladly walk in the light of reform and especially so for the sake of their children. My concern goes beyond what we do with our lives, but moves to our responsibility to help others who are ignorant of the light we have been given.

Over one hundred years ago, God sent light that SOON we would have to give up all animal products. I am thankful for that light and feel a great responsibility to help others see the danger of continuing the use of any animal product, especially those that have children. Many in the church remain silent so as to not offend anyone; I cannot. All I have to do is to think of the number of children being diagnosed with cancer and I feel compelled to speak up.

What do I believe the great danter is in using animal products? My greatest concern is for the health of newborns that have weak immune systems. For them to ingest animal flesh, animal milk,  or eggs I beleive is to increase their chances greatly for contracting infectious diseases including cancer, and especially leukemia.

Leukemia is a leading killer of children under age 12. In the United States the dairy herds are infected with the bovine leukemia virus.

How sick have the animals become? One need only pick up a newspaper and before long he will read of another outbreak of E-coli poisoning from some form of cattle contamination. Even fresh apple juice is now suspect because of the danger existing that an apple fell into a field contaminated by E-coli from cattle.

This is a very serious subject and one that needs to be carefully and prayerfully studied out. We may repent of our wrong actions, but many times this will not reverse what happens as a result of what we have done.

Again, removing animal products from one's diet does not assure good  health, it is only one area that needs to be addressed. If one continues to smoke, he will not obtain good health. I could go on and on, but I think you will understand my point. We need to learn more and then walk in the light we have. God will bless our desire to present to Him a healthy body and mind and the world will know that we are His children. He will have witnesses of the goodness of His ways.

--0--

Michelle - 10-7-2000

I had raised this question a while back with no replies. What does Dr. Thrash have to say about it? Where can I find this out?

The article I read was from Honolulu Star Bulletin, and here is a quote from the article:

"Screening studies report that about one out of 7 people 65 years and older are deficient in B-12. An Australian study published last year reported that 73 percent of 245 SDA ministers who were consuming a vegetarian diet has serum B-12 levels below recommended levels. With this high incidence, it is surprising that there isn't a national screening program for B-12 status in the older population."

My question is not should we be eating animal products or not. My question is, how do we deal with this situation if we are vegatarian or vegan? (Besides vitamin supplements?)

The URL for the article I read is:
http://star bulletin.com/2000/09/13/features/health.html

Suzanne Sutton - 10-10-2000

Brothers and sisters, a vegetarian/vegan diet is indeed adequate for all our health needs. The American Dietetic Association informs us that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, are nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases.

They go on to point out that well-planned vegan and lacto-ovo vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including during pregnancy and lactation. Appropriately planned vegan and lacto-ovo-vegetarian diets satisfy nutrient needs of infants, children, and adolescents and promote normal growth. They do mention that all vegan children should have a reliable source of vitamin B-12 and, if sun exposure is limited, vitamin D supplements or fortified foods should be used.

(The American Dietetic Association's web site on this subject is:
www.eatright.org/adap1197.html).

The B-12 question has indeed been a source of concern. I and family do take a supplement although I have articles that point out that a truly correct vegan diet with enough fiber and raw green vegetables, B-12 can be synthesized in the small intestines. Of couse, whole grains, fruits and nuts ar necessary to round out a correct diet. Many vegetarians/vegans favor certain processed, depleted foods over others and may not be getting adequate amounts of these basics. Others may not utilize a wide variety of the many fruits and vegetables available--favoring a limited few over a healthy variety. The point is that we should utilize a wide variety of the many fruits and vegetables that are available.

The "more sure word of prophecy," informs us that "in grains, fruits, vegetables, and nuts are to be found ALL the food elements that we need. If we will come to the Lord in simplicity of mind, He will teach us how to prepare wholesome food free from the taint of flesh meat." --Counsels on Diet and Food, p. 310.

Inspiration also points out that "grains, fruits, nuts, and vegetables constitute the diet chosen for us by our Creator. These foods, prepared in as simple and natural a manner as possible, are the most healthrul and nourishing. They impart a strength, a power of endurance, and a VIGOR OF INTELLECT, that are not afforded by a more complex and stimulating diet." CDF:313.

Shall we not believe the prophet and implement the health program God has designed for us?

--0--

Liane - 10-11-2000

This is what Dr. Thrash says in her book, "Nutrition for Vegetarians," 1982.

It has been believed that only animal products contain suffiient quantities of vitamin B-12 to meet human needs. This is not the case, and many pure vegetarians live a lifetime without evidence of B-12 deficiency. We believe that if it is searched for the cause of B-12 deficiency can always be found in some other quarter than the absence of animal products in the diet.

We should point out that B-12 deficiency is a very rare disorder, and the overwhelming majority of cases occur in non-vegetarians.

Vitamin B-12 was isolated in 1948. Merck and company is holder of various patients of procedures for producing B-12 and owns the product claim. In 1951, 48 pounds of B-12 were produced.

There are several vegetarian food sources of B-12. While these sources may not be constant, it appears that they occur with sufficient frequency to supply the minute quantities of B-12 that are needed by those who are not abusing their health.

These include wheat, soybeans, various common greens, olives, fruits and many other foods that ocasionally have B-12 either in or on the food. It is difficult to avoid B-12.

A further source of B-12 is bacterial growth in the mouth (around the teeth and gums), in the nasopharynx, around the tonsils and tonsillar crypts, in the folds at the base of the tongue, and in the upper bronchial tree. Up to 0.5 micrograms daily can be obtained from this source. It is likely that this source alone will supply sufficient quantities of B-12 for the very small requirement that a pure vegetarian has, (especially considering his low protein intake) which further reduces the need for B-12.

It has also been shown that some bacteria which may colonize the small intestine of man can synthesize considerable amounts of biologically active forms of the B-12.

Individuals taking conventional diets need only about 0.1 micrograms of B-12 per day.

It is quite likely that vegan diets would require no nmore than 0.05 micrograms of B-12 per day.

High doses of vitamin C, destroy substantial amounts of B-12.

This gives you a general idea regarding vitamin B-12. Hope it helps.

--end of transfer.  

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2000, 09:18:00 PM »
There you go, Brother Curt.  :) Now we can all stay together in one thread.  Sister Suzanne, good work.  :)

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Curt

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2000, 07:06:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing that information Liane.

Just wanted to let you folks know that the health issues that the Director and his wife (of the previous company I worked for) is the only thing that gave us an opportunity to discuss Adventism and religion in general. The B-12 issue is the one thing helping me to keep contact with him even though I have left that company. So share on folks, it's a blessing to others.

I have copied that last post to him yesterday.

------------------
Maranatha

Liane H

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2000, 04:47:00 PM »
to get a different slant on the b-12 issue. My friend who is a dietitian, says that Dr. Milton Crane of Weimar says it is important to get b-12 from supplement form.  He recommends 500-1000 mcg each week especially from TwinLabs.

So we here have a differenc of opinion from Dr. Thrash to Dr. Crane, both SDA's.

I take one once a week at 1000mcg.  It can't hurt.

Liane  

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2000, 08:01:00 PM »
Generally we post news items in the Signs forum, but this article by ANN is better kept here in the health forum and in this thread. Again, the GC people are going contrary to the counsels we have been given. They will have many eating dairy until Jesus returns. The following study is not on strict vegetarians as I understand it, but on Australian Pastors who are "vegetarian".  

Vitamin B-12 Deficiency May Be a
                     Serious Concern For Vegetarians

October 10, 2000

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA .... [Bettina Krause]

Vegetarians should be particularly aware of the need to consume the
                     minimum daily requirement of vitamin B-12, by either choosing
                     B-12-rich foods or taking supplements, says Stoy Proctor, a health
                     spokesperson for the Seventh-day Adventist Church worldwide.

Proctor's comments come in response to a recently published
                     Australian study of 245 Seventh-day Adventist pastors who follow a
                     vegetarian diet. The study found that 73 percent of the pastors had
                     unacceptably low levels of vitamin B-12.

"There are a number of factors at play here," says Proctor. "One
                     obvious reason for low B-12 levels is insufficient daily intake through
                     food-not eating enough non-fat or low-fat dairy products each day."
                     "However, what many people don't realize," adds Proctor, "is that
                     once we enter our 50's, our bodies start losing the ability to
                     metabolize, or absorb, B-12 as efficiently as before. It is at this point
                     that it may be advisable to take supplements or to ensure increased
                     intake of B-12-fortified foods."

Vitamin B-12, an essential vitamin which was only identified by
                     science in 1947, is derived almost exclusively from animal food
                     products such as dairy foods or meat. "The amount we need every
                     day is only 2.5 micrograms-an amount about the size of a pin
                     head-but we do need it," says Proctor. "Our recommendation is that
                     vegetarians consume a moderate, balanced diet, which includes about
                     three non-fat or low-fat servings of dairy food each day." Total
                     vegetarians, known as vegans, need to be especially aware of the
                     potential problem and either choose B-12-fortified cereals and other
                     foods, or take supplements, says Proctor.

B-12 is essential to the maintenance of a healthy nervous system.
                     Symptoms of deficiency can range from memory problems, numbness
                     or tingling in the feet, fingers, and hands, fatigue, depression, or
                     blurring of vision. In extreme cases, prolonged deficiency can lead to
                     death.

Proctor notes that although getting enough B-12 is an important
                     consideration for vegetarians, the overall health benefits of a
                     vegetarian lifestyle are still undisputed. He points to Loma Linda
                     University's Adventist Health Study, which has involved more that
                     35,000 Adventists over a 30-year period. Results from the study
                     continue to demonstrate the benefits of a balanced vegetarian diet in a
                     range of health areas, including lower rates of some forms of cancer,
                     fewer incidence of diabetes, and lower mortality rates due to heart
                     disease.

Curt

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2000, 07:08:00 AM »
What is interesting in the article is
1) the amount required per day : "The amount we need every day is only 2.5 micrograms-an amount about the size of a pin
head-but we do need it," says Proctor.

2) the fact that our metabolism is slowing down as we age.

My only question is, what else is consistent about the participants in the study beside the report that they did not use "meat" (vegetarians). Some people do not consider fish as meat.

Still God's word is true :
SOP - "in grains, fruits, vegetables, and nuts are to be found ALL the food elements that we need. If we will come to the Lord in simplicity of mind, He will teach us how to prepare wholesome food free from the taint of flesh meat." --Counsels on Diet and Food, p. 310.

In support of that truth, It seems that Dr. Thrash has solid information in the posting above (quote from Dr. Thrash - Nutrition for Vegetarians)

------------------
Maranatha

Liane H

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2000, 08:18:00 AM »
I think one of the most important factor that I got from Dr. Thrash, was that the amount of B-12 needed is between how much protein one has in their diet.  

The more protein, expecially from flesh foods, the more B-12 you need.

Also in this study by Proctor, one would need to know all the variables of the people in the study, which we do not have.

For the time being, I guess I will take my little B-12 once a week until I know more, I am going to write Dr. Thrash for more update information since this book.  

Liane  

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2000, 08:43:00 AM »
Another thought on the Australian pastor situation. There are a lot of variables that have not been considered, but let us take a look at what we do have.  We have a group of men who probably mirrored a situation that has been in place for a couple of generations. Let's assume for a minute that the pastors before them followed the same diet. Can this explain the situation with the Australian pastors? Are they suffering from the ravages of B-12 deficiency?  

If we want to know the truth, then do a study on those that are Seventh-day Adventists that are strict vegetarians. Do not take their b-12 levels, but instead test them as the Babylonians did Daniel and his friends. Also, keep track of the diseases they have and die from. Then the truth will be known about b-12 and strict vegetarians that walk in the light of God's grace.  

Does this mean that we should not study and become knowlegable about our needs? No. But we ought to do so in the light of what God has said and not what man has said that contradicts God. That we should find the chief arguments against God's ways coming from His church is a cause for deep concern.

I want to take a moment to put this into proper context. If the light God has given on the dangers of animal products is rejected, what are the consequences? Many, but I will not address the spiritual now, but only the physical. I am distressed because the failure to walk in the light will cause many children who are innocent to suffer. I am bold in what I say on their behalf. They will be needlessly exposed to a multitude of diseases, most dangerously to cancer. Leukemia virus is rampant in many dairy herds today.

You say there is no danger? Then you either don't think the cattle have cancer or you don't think that their cancer can be transferred to your children. That cancer is in the milk is a fact that is easily discovered. There in not any evidence the cancer in animals cannot be spead to humans. For those that have confidence in God and His counsels we have this statement found in Child Guidance on page 382: "Flesh was never the best food; but its use is now doubly objectionable, since disease in animals is so rapidly increasing. Those who use flesh foods little know what they are eating. Often if they could see the animals when living and know the quality of the meat they eat, they would turn from it with loathing. People are continually eating flesh that is filled with tuberculous and cancerous germs. Tuberculosis, cancer, and other fatal diseases are thus communicated."

A solemn thought in the light of what Seventh-day Adventist children are eating and drinking. Shall we forget about those children that are not Seventh-day Adventist? How does God look at the situation?

What shall we do?  We can turn and never come back to view such things, but it will not make the truth disappear. Or, we can share the light that others might live.  :)

In His love and grace,    Richard

Liane H

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2000, 09:49:00 AM »
I have found this Multi-vitamin & Mineral Supplement.  

It is from a company: Natural Organics Labs., Inc. called Nature's Plus.

It is a chewable muli-vit & mineral with WHOLE FOOD CONCENTRATES. No chemicals.

It indicates 50mcg of B-12.  I was told that if you are going to take a multi vitamin and mineral suppliment, that it is better to get the chewable, because they digest better in the system.

The company is based in Amityville, NY.

What do you all think?  I bought it, because the b-12 I was taking was lactose, never noticed it, but becaus my friend said to get the TwinLabs, I looked at my bottle of b-12, I became informed.

Liane  

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Suzanne

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2000, 09:58:00 AM »
Br. Richard, we appreciate your sincerety and zeal in discussing these crucial issues. Keep up the good work.

Continuing on the B-12 theme, here is more info. Pastor George Malkmus, originator of THE HALLELUJAH DIET, has much to say regarding B-12. Twenty years ago he beat colon cancer by following a vegetarian diet which included plenty of carrot juice. Here are excerps from his web page on the subject:

VITAMIN B-12 AND THE HALLELUJAH DIET, by Michael Donaldson, Ph.D.

* Though the requirements are very low, deficiencies among vegetarians have been noted.

* Healthy vegans with a healthy bowel flora should produce B-12 in their small intestine. This may be the natural way God intended for us to receive our B-12, but our study showed that this was not a reliable and sufficient source of B-12. All people produce B-12 in their colon, but this is not available for the body since B-12 is absorbed in the small intestines.

* Sublingual tablets or low dose sprays are the best delivery forms of B-12 supplements; swallowed tablets are not as effective.

* Methylcobalamin, a form of B-12,  marketed by Enzymatic Therapy as "Bio-Active B-12, is made from fermented plants and is an inexpensive, vegetarian product. Also, nutritional yeast (Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula) is fortified with an adequate amount of B-12 and is a good source of other B vitamins, trace minerals, and other nutrients as well. Many vegans have found this to be an aceptable and reliable source of B-12.

* A simple urine assay can be done through the mail with the Norman Clinical Laboratory, Inc. (Cincinnati, OH: 1-800-397-7408, $70). The urinary MMA assay is very specific for B-12 and much more reliable than a serum B-12 assay. If anyone has doubts about their B-12 status this is the lab test to order. Your physician can order this commonly available test for you as well.

* There are several ways to get your B-12 but you must get it in your diet or ensure that your body makes it. You will not have excellent health without it.

This article is followed by 35 references that should be of interest to all.  

Suzanne

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2000, 04:07:00 PM »
Brothers and sisters, I'm so excited. Going over my notes I found this info from the "New England Journal of Medicine, dated Dec. 7, 1978: Vitamin B-12 is manufactured by microorganisms making it possible to obtain B-12 in a teaspoon of soy sauce (3 micrograms), tempeh (another soy product) and certain seeds and nuts. The vitamin can be synthesized in the intestines when adequate amounts of unheated seeds and nuts are eaten. --end of article.

We should indeed be thankful that this is the season for fresh, raw nuts. I purchased some delicious walnuts, and Brazil nuts last week. We also always have raw almonds on hand. And don't forget pecans, macadamias and the various seeds--sunflower, sesame, pumpkin, etc. A small handful a day is sufficient.

Nuts and seeds, the most potent of all foods help us stay young physically, mentally and sexually, while offering a jolt of heart healthy monounsaturated or omega-3 fats, vitamin E, magnesium and copper. Brazil nuts have 250 times more selenium than any other food.

Back to B-12. I received this e-mail from Christa: "Where do the animals whose meat some people eat (all herbivores) get their B-12. Vitamin B-12 is found in plants in very small amounts. But the way that B-12 is secured primarily is from that produced in the body. The stomach secretes a substance called "intrinsic factor", which transports B-12 created by the bacterial flora in our intestines. The B-12 myth is part and parcel of the entire protein myth. Supposedly we will perish without meat and dairy products. Our actual need for B-12 is so minute that it is measured in micrograms or nanograms. One milligram of B-12 will last you over 2 years and healthy individuals usually carry around a 5 year supply.

But here's the rub: Putrefation hampers the secretion of "intrinsic factor" in the stomach and retards the produiction of B-12. Because meat tends to take so long to move through our digestive tracts, it begins to decompose long before it is expelled. So flesh-eaters are more apt to develop a B-12 deficiency than vegetarians! This has been known for some time and was discussed in a report entitled "Vitamins of the B Complex," in the 1959 United States Department of Agriculture Yearbook. The propaganda states just the opposite.  --end of article.

Let's continue to study this subject and share the info we gather.  Good health to all.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2000, 06:26:00 PM »
Thank Sister Suzanne.   :)  

Isn't God good to give us such important information in the Bible and the Spirit of Prophecy! To tell us what we ought to eat. It would seem that in the end, it will be a matter of faith. Will we trust in God with everything or shall we trust in man and his laws?

In His love and grace,   Richard

Curt

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2000, 09:21:00 AM »
Amazing relationships emerge from your findings :

"The vitamin can be synthesized in the intestines when adequate amounts of unheated seeds and nuts are eaten."

Putrificaction hampers the intric factor.

Intrinsic factor is produced in the intestines.

Seems like the PH in the digestive tract would also have a strong influence on the bacteria quality/growth and therefore the presence of the intrinsic factor. I have read that fruits aid in supporting the PH as well as the environment for the intestinal bacteria.

Seems like relationships that support SOP statement that in fruits, nuts, grains and vegetables are found all that our bodies require.

Intrinsic factor is produced by bacteria in the small intestine at a point just before it enters the large intestine. Whatever God does is perfect and this may be his way of putting the temperance law in here since our daily requirement is small.

Am I making the right relationships here?

[This message has been edited by Curt (edited 10-21-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Curt (edited 10-21-2000).]

Wendy

• http://www.megspace.com/religion/cainan/
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »
Here's a little more from Dr. Malkmus, except this time he's quoting from a book he has read.

----------------------------

David Wolfe's book,
"The Sunfood Diet Success System." Following are some quotes
that I found extremely interesting in his book:

"Although animal and dairy products are a source of vitamin
B-12, the natural soil microbes and bacteria found on wild
food, unwashed garden plants, and also those supplied by
plant fermentation are typically adequate to supply the body
with vitamin B-12 needs. The natural microbes and bacteria
in the soil need to be duplicated and colonize in our
intestinal tract for optimal absorption of nutrients. . . .
Vitamin B-12 is produced by these natural microbes and
bacteria as they colonize the intestines.

"A problem with the formation of B-12 occurs when there is a
sterilization which happens between the picking of the fruit
or vegetable and the moment it reaches the mouth. Sterile
environments are unnatural. The soil microbes and bacteria,
which grow on raw fruits and vegetables, need to be
duplicated in the intestinal tract for the proper
assimilation of vitamin B-12 to take place.

"Dr. Victor Herbert described in the AMERICAN JOURNAL OF
CLINICAL NUTRITION (1988, volume 48, p. 852-858) the
experiences of Dr. James Halsted, who traveled to Persia to
study a colony of Iranian vegans who did not experience any
vitamin B-12 deficiencies. He found that their naturally
fertilized vegetables were eaten without being carefully
washed. He discovered that strict vegetarians who do not
practice thorough hand washing or vegetable cleaning may be
untroubled by a vitamin B-12 deficiency.

"Studies have shown that those eating a typical diet of
animal products actually require more vitamin B-12 than
those who do not eat animal products. This is because the
typical diet leads to digestive atrophy. Because vitamin B-
12 is peptide bound in animal products and must be
enzymatically cleaved from the peptide bonds to be absorbed,
a weakening of all gastric acid and gastric enzyme
secretions (due to a cooked food diet) causes an inability
to efficiently extract vitamin B-12 from external food. Raw-
food vegans, who have more powerful digestion, actually get
more vitamin B-12 reabsorption from the bile (liver
secretions into the duodenum) than they do from external