Author Topic: Mad Cows and People  (Read 65103 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« on: September 07, 2000, 06:28:00 AM »
Now that the government in England has confessed there is a relationship between mad cow disease (BSE) and CJD, a human disease that is fatal, we should be awakened to the problems facing us in eating animal products.

Have you ever considerd that Mad Cow  disease may be in your country? And, have you considered that it could be in products that contain ingredients made from infected cows?

It seems we have been given good counsel that if heeded would protect us from this brain destroying disease. Does anyone have a listing of foods that contain these ingredients that if infected could lead to human infection?

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

MARCIO

• http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/mikenett/index.html
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2000, 06:02:00 PM »
I'm a vegan for almost 6 years now.  The main reason why I changed my diet was that, right after I was baptized, I was impressed by the counsels given us in the SOP about health reform.  Today, almost 6 years after, I can only count the blessings.  My health has been excellent since then.  I haven't been to the doctor or taken any drugs such as Aspirin, Tylenol and so on since I changed my diet.  I don't have to worry about eating something that may have Mad Cow disease, etc.

I never thought I would be a vegan one day.  That shows that with God NOTHING is impossible.  Praise the Lord for His counsels regarding our well being.

Marcio

[This message has been edited by MARCIO (edited 09-08-2000).]

To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. Isaiah 8:20.

Liane H

• http://
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2000, 09:59:00 AM »
It is so strange that one of the reasons I never would become a new ager was because I did not want to be a vegetarian.

And look at me now.  

The reality is that England and Australia will not allow GMO altered food in their country either.

But what do those same companies like Kellogg who send GMO "free" food to those countries give us, GMO altered products.

I was thinking just a few months ago, well as long as I am using Organic milk, I should be o.k.  

Boy was I wrong.  Organic means nothing.  You can have 1% organic product and they can call it organic.  

You can have organic soybeans, but the soybean oil they use is not. You HAVE TO READ THE LABELS, to make sure that you are buying pure organic products.

And because it says organic, does not mean it is GMO free.

Animals like cows, sheep and pigs are being fed meat byproducts with their grains that are pressed together as pellits as feed.

These animals that are primarly vegetarians are being given meat to eat.

It is not enough that we are taking care of our bodies, but God calls us to be responsbile caretakers of everything on this earth. What we do to these animals, whether they are used as food or as pets, He has given into our care as we are given into His care for our lives.

Are we being responsible. Are we speaking out against the abuse and injustice being done to these poor animals. They cannot speak for themselves.  We must speak for them.  

If you continue to eat meat, at least make sure that the caretakers of these animals are treating these animals in a humane and caring way while they are alive.

The meat may not look like a cow when it gets to the dinner table, but nonetheless it was once a living creature that feels pain and kindness from others.

It is the least we can do.

Liane

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2000, 11:43:00 AM »
Thanks, Brother Marcio for the testimony.  :) Jesus loves us and wants us to be in good health. When we lose our health we lose a lot. I praise Him also for the light that can preserve our precious health. Sister Liane,  thanks for pointing out what is being done to the animals.  The diseases in them is increasing at an alarming rate. It is no wonder. In England, chickens were fed cow meat that had been diseased with mad cow disease, then cows were fed chicken manure thus reinfecting the healthier cows.

God has warned us to not eat products from the animals.  Over a hundred years ago we were told "soon" we should not do so.  Cancer is epidemic in the world today and much is coming through the animal products. The animals are sick just as God said.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Suzanne

Mad Cows and People
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2000, 04:01:00 PM »
This is from the Riverside, Calif. Press-Enterprise, Oct. 29, 2000

British Girl Dies From Mad Cow

London--A 14 year-old girl Saturday became the latest person to die of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, the human form of mad cow.

The young girl died at her home in Wigan in northern England, just days after her family allowed television cameras to record her plight. She was seen lying virtually motionless in bed.

Her mother, pointed out that the family has since stopped eating meat, and said she felt guilty for buying cheap beef burgers, which she fears may have caused her daughter's illness.

The British government this week promised millions of dollars in compensation for families stricken by the disease.

It said mistakes were made in the handling of the crisis, including a 6-month delay in informing the public about the disease after government scientists identified it in late 1995, for fear of causing panic and damaging British trade.

81 people have now died from the brain-wasting disease in Britain and 5 other cases are suspected. 3 lawsuits have been filed against the government.  --end of article.

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 11-01-2000).]

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2000, 05:43:00 PM »
Thank you, Sister Suzanne. There are some lessons for us to learn from this.  We thought that if you cooked the animal product it would kill the bacteria or virus and thus the disease could not be transfered. Not true. Yes, the virus and bacteria are dead, but the prion transfers the disease and even when heated to temperatures in excess of 200 degrees C. the prion is still able to infect. What else can we learn? It is not safe to trust our health to the government. We must take responsibility for ourselves.

One more lesson. God is always right and if we will follow the light we have been given our children will reap the benefit. If we love our children then we ought to walk in the light.  One hundred years ago we were told to sterilize our milk from healthy cows. The day would soon come when it would not be safe to drink sterilized milk. This was the light from one hundred years ago. Do we want prophesy? Do we want science? Or do we want to continue as we always have? You may review the posts from other forums over the last seven years and the information coming out of the GC and see that there is great opposition to the truth. All must decide for themselves, but as the above article suggests the consequences of being wrong are getting quite severe.

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
    • http://www.drdugaldlewis.com
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2000, 05:58:00 PM »

“Many die of disease caused wholly by meat eating, yet the world does not seem to be the wiser." EGW

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2000, 07:20:00 AM »
Yes, Dr. Dugald and many do not know it because we have not done our work. The diseases that are in the animals, especially cancer, are being passed to humans through the meat, milk , and eggs.  While Seventh-day Adventists reject this truth, the world suffers because we are not witnesses for the Lord. What a testimony for the truth if we as a people walked in the light we have been given. The consequences of our actions go further than mere mortal life. A subject well worth pondering.

Suzanne

Mad Cows and People
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2000, 09:06:00 AM »
Brethren, this is from the Riverside Press-Enterprise, dated Oct. 28, 2000.

Spread of Disease in Hospital Feared

New Orleans--A patient who died after brain surgery had an incurable disease thay may have been spread to 8 other patients through tainted instruments, hospital officials said.

Tulane Univ. Hospital and Clinic stopped using the surgical instruments as soon as officials realized the first patient had died from Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, said Dr. Alan Miller, a Tulane vice president.

Miller said that the instruments went through normal washing and sterilization procedures before the 8 operations, which were also brain surgeries.  --end of article.

Suzanne

Mad Cows and People
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2000, 12:49:00 PM »
Brothers and sisters, this item is from "Good Medicine," Autumn 2000.

Mystery Meat Uncovered

German scientists have developed a test that detects brain and spinal cord material in cooked meat products. Liverwurst and bologna samples from across Germany tested positive. The presence of brain tissue means possible exposure to mad cow disease and Creutzfeld-Jakob disease, a fatal human brain disorder.

No, it it not illegal in Germany to use brain material in meat, and the lead investigator of the study believes that this discovery is no reason for consumers to change their eating habits.

(Good Medicine, is published quarterly by Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine).  

Suzanne

Mad Cows and People
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2000, 08:05:00 AM »
A news item from the Riverside, Calif. Press-Enterprise, Nov. 15, 2000.

Mad Cow Scare Sees Steak Ban

FRANCE--Amid spiraling fears about mad cow disease, France's government on Tuesday announced it was banning the T-bone steak, the second specialty to be slashed from the nation's menus in a week.

Prime Minister Lionel Jospin said the government was also implementing a temporary ban on all livestock feed containing meat--including fish, chicken and pork.

Concern about France's beef also heightened in Italy, where the Agriculture minister threatened to halt most beef imports from France if the European Union failed to block the exports.  --end of article.

Brothers and sisters, livestock feed containing meat--including fish, chicken and pork--continues to be used on a daily basis in this country (USA). This "witches' brew" is dried and pulverized into a brown powder or meal called "protein concentrate" and is used as an additive in almost all livestock and poultry feed.  

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 11-16-2000).]

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2000, 11:26:00 AM »
It is a very serious situation and a very sad one.  We feed animal products to sheep and cows. This is what started the BSE problem in England.  We have "mad cow" disease in our sheep for sure. It is called Scrapie. Thank you, Jesus for telling us in advance that it is not safe to eat animal products.

As we are able we will be providing some additional resources to help our people use this sad situation to minister to those who have not been blessed with the light we have.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2000, 08:48:00 AM »
France, Italy, and Spain are going through what Britain did with the discovery of BSE (Mad Cow Disease) in their cattle. The price of meat has been cut in half and the economic situation is dire.  The success in testing for BSE in France has generated the new cases and now it is thought that the people have been eating infected cows for some time. Knowing the disease is contagious to humans has slowed many from eating meat.

We can thank Jesus on this Thanksgiving day in the U.S. that our children are not eating animal products. Now, if we had warned the world prior to this, how many would have been saved from not only CJD (human mad cow disease) but from cancer and other diseases that are transmitted via animal products? It is good that we have a place to take our guilt. The world does not if they will not accept Jesus as a Saviour. Lord Jesus forgive us our sins and cleanse us from our unrighteousness.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2000, 10:59:00 AM »
While there are a number of diseases that one might contract from eating animal products, BSE (mad cow disease) is a good example to look at when considering the safety of eating  such things. BSE was first found to be a significant problem in cattle in England, but for those that felt safe in other countries, it was short lived. Now, cattle have been found to be infected in much of Western Europe and we have known for a long time that sheep in many countries including the U.S. have Scrapie which is the sheep version of "mad cow disease".

Isn't God good to allow such an infectious situation to develop publicly that God's people might have another source of information than just the Seventh-day Adventist Church!

Richard

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2000, 05:04:00 PM »
Comfortable in the U.S.?  Scrapie, the sheep disease that was transfered to cattle and called "mad cow" disease is in the U.S. flocks and has been for many years. CJD the human version of BSE (mad cow disease) is in the U.S. also.

Can sheep infect humans with a spongiform disease?  We have some studies on the subject. Anyone care to comment?

And an additional question. Can one be infected by animal products other than eating  meat?

Richard

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2000, 05:42:00 PM »
Dear Brother Richard,

I just learnt from the 6:30 news tonight on CBS or NBC that Germany is now being affected by mad cows. The entire meat industry there is being threatened. Pretty soon, it would be outside of Europe.  

Dugald

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2000, 08:22:00 PM »
Yes, Dr. Dugald. Isn't God good to warn us ahead of time?  Spongiform disease has been outside of Europe for quite awhile. It will come as a shock to many in the U.S. that we already have spongiform disease here.

Richard

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2000, 06:54:00 PM »
Dear Richard,
In that news report I referenced, they were quick to state that CJD is not yet here in the US. I don't quite believe that. Interestingly the incubation period can be as long as 10 years, so lets wait a while.
Sincerely
Dugald

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2000, 07:53:00 PM »
Dr. Dugald, CJD is already in the U.S. The rate is reported to be 1 case per million, but my guess is that there is much that is not diagnosed. Dr. Hulse told me that a percentage of Alzheimers patients on death are detirmined to have Creutzfeldt-Jakob rather than Alzheimers. It is so sad to realize that so many are contracting so much disease from animal products. One day we will realize how much suffering we could have prevented if we had done what we were told to do.  :(

M.A. Crawford

• http://
Mad Cows and People
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2000, 08:15:00 AM »
As it has already been alluded to, perhaps now we can finally understand why the Lord, mainly through His servant Ellen G. White, has given us ample warning as to the dangers involved in consuming animal flesh and products.

We have individuals who have access to outstanding and vital information on this subject. Other than through the Remnant Online forums, I would hope that some how, some way, this information could be sent to responsible individuals in various parts of the country (and possibly the world) for distribution to as many churches (and/or concerned pastors) as possible because there are so many of our people who need to know this vital information while there is still time to do something about it.

M.A.  

M.A.