Author Topic: E-Coli Disease  (Read 55975 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: E-Coli Disease
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2011, 09:16:11 AM »
LONDON — An entirely new super-toxic bug is causing the frightening food poisoning outbreak that has sickened at least 1,600 people and killed 18, researchers and global health officials said Thursday.

The DNA of the new E. coli strain, believed to have contaminated salad vegetables, was analyzed by Chinese and German scientists. It contains several genes that cause antibiotic resistance and is similar to a strain that causes serious diarrhea and is found in the Central African Republic, according to a statement from the Shenzhen, China-based laboratory, BGI. Those scientists were working together with the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf.

"This is a unique strain that has never been isolated from patients before," Hilde Kruse, a food safety expert at the World Health Organization, told The Associated Press. The new strain has "various characteristics that make it more virulent and toxin-producing" than the many E. coli strains people naturally carry in their intestines.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/02/e-coli-outbreak-new-strain_n_870176.html
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Sister Dee

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2011, 09:48:49 AM »
It contains several genes that cause antibiotic resistance

Will charcoal work on something like this? 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2011, 11:40:17 AM »
I have not yet read the reports on this particular strain of e coli that is killing Europeans.  They make it sound like it some new kind of danger. It is not. There are strains of e coli that do not kill and there are are some that do.  We have seen outbreaks of the deadly kind for years in the US and Canada. The bacteria comes from cows. They carry the deadly bacteria which killed the young children who ate Jack in Box hamburgers 20 years ago. It is the strain of e coli that causes the problems with spinach, alfalfa sprouts, lettuce, and tomatoes, not to mention the meat. It all comes from cows and contaminates the soil and water where our food is grown. In the US it is E. coli 0157:H1.  It is deadly and will continue to kill humans as long as the cows continue to be eaten by man. It appears that they use drugs to keep the infection under control in the cattle, but it does not seem to eliminate the bacteria in them. When killed, often the bacteria found in the feces contaminates the carcass. Cross contamination is a problem in restaurants. Salads can be contaminated from handling meat then vegetables or using the same cutting board or knives.

The poor animals are getting sicker and they then sicken humans.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Geodad

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2011, 01:16:16 PM »
Re: the E. coli - search for shiga toxin if you're interested. It is nasty and can cause something called Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome which apparently can cause internal platelet aggregation and narrow blood vessels, esp. in the in kidney (cell receptors there are more susceptible to the toxin). If you took the charcoal at or near the same time as ingesting the bad E. coli, I suppose it could help by absorbing some/most of the shiga toxin before it got into the bloodstream. Once the toxin gets into your kidney cells and has started shutting them down, I think charcoal would probably be less effective...

More impetus to make sure any food purchased from any external source is thoroughly washed esp. if it doesn't have much/any rind or peel to it...

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2011, 03:26:57 PM »
After reading the reports on the outbreak, it appears that the outbreak is hitting adults more than children. That is good. Adults have more control over their food and hygiene. The number of cases of HUS is very high.  Once the bacteria advance that far, it is very dangerous. Twenty years ago antibiotics did not help the patients, but rather caused more damage. So, I don't think that this e. coli is any different in that respect from the one that kills around he world.

The bacteria is more common than we have been told. There are many cases of it, we just do not hear about it unless it is a large outbreak.  A  Bible Answer mentions a problem in Japan in the last month.  A Bible Answer
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2011, 06:26:05 PM »
We have ten years of discussion on E. Coli. When Jack in the Box hamburgers were killing little ones, I discussed the problem with those involved in Washington. Then attended a Congressional hearing on food borne disease in DC. E. coli is an example of why it is that we ought to cease eating animal products. It is true that cooking will kill the bacteria, but that does not stop infection in raw foods or from cross contamination. The problem is disease in the animals. It is widespread, even world-wide. The problem extends beyond e. coli to many other diseases, some which are more dangerous than e. coli because cooking to temperatures in excess of 200 degrees centigrade will not render the disease harmless.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2011, 07:09:58 AM »
Re: the E. coli - search for shiga toxin if you're interested. It is nasty and can cause something called Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome which apparently can cause internal platelet aggregation and narrow blood vessels, esp. in the in kidney (cell receptors there are more susceptible to the toxin). If you took the charcoal at or near the same time as ingesting the bad E. coli, I suppose it could help by absorbing some/most of the shiga toxin before it got into the bloodstream. Once the toxin gets into your kidney cells and has started shutting them down, I think charcoal would probably be less effective...

More impetus to make sure any food purchased from any external source is thoroughly washed esp. if it doesn't have much/any rind or peel to it...

HUS is really frightening, Geodad. Thanks for the information. I want to read more on this. 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2011, 07:13:03 AM »
Shiga Toxin-Producing Escherichia coli (STEC)

Disease Fact Sheet

What is Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli?

Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli is a type of enterohemorrhagic E. coli (EHEC) bacteria that can cause illness ranging from mild intestinal disease to severe kidney complications. Other types of enterohemorrhagic E. coli include the relatively important serotype E. coli O157:H7, and more than 100 other non-O157 strains such as O111 and O26.

What are the symptoms?

Typical symptoms include severe abdominal cramping, sudden onset of watery diarrhea, frequently bloody, and sometimes vomiting and a low-grade fever. Most often the illness is mild and self-limited generally lasting 1-3 days. However, serious complications such as hemorrhagic colitis, Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS), or postdiarrheal thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) can occur in up to 10% of cases.

How soon do the symptoms appear?

The incubation period ranges from 1 to 8 days, though typically it is 3 to 5 days.

How do you get Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli?

Cases and outbreaks of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli have been associated with the consumption of undercooked beef (especially ground beef), raw milk, unpasteurized apple juice, contaminated water, red leaf lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, and venison jerky. The bacteria have also been isolated from poultry, pork and lamb. Person-to- person spread, via fecal->oral transmission, may occur in high-risk settings like day care centers and nursing homes. Further studies are being done to better understand the modes of transmission.

Who gets infected with Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli?

Although anyone can get infected, the highest infection rates are in children under age 5. Elderly patients also account for a large number of cases. Outbreaks have occurred in child-care facilities and nursing homes.

How is it treated?

For mild illness, antibiotics have not been shown to shorten the duration of symptoms and may make the illness more severe in some people. Severe complications, such as Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome, require hospitalization.

Communicable Disease Epidemiology Program (303) 692-2700 Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment 3/2001

Hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS)
Definition
By Mayo Clinic staff

Hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) is a condition that results from the abnormal premature destruction of red blood cells. Once this process begins, the damaged red blood cells start to clog the filtering system in the kidneys, which may eventually cause the life-threatening kidney failure associated with hemolytic uremic syndrome.

Most cases of hemolytic uremic syndrome develop in children after several days of diarrhea — often bloody — due to infection with a certain strain of Escherichia coli (E. coli). Adults also may develop hemolytic uremic syndrome after an E. coli infection, but more often the cause is obscure or even unknown.

Though hemolytic uremic syndrome is a serious condition, getting timely and appropriate treatment leads to a full recovery for most people — especially young children.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hemolytic-uremic-syndrome/DS00876
© 1998-2011 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved. A single copy of these materials may be reprinted for noncommercial personal use only.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2011, 07:59:22 AM »
New data released in Germany strongly suggests that locally produced bean sprouts were, as suspected, the source of the deadly E. coli outbreak.

"It's the bean sprouts," said Reinhard Burger, head of Germany's centre for disease control.

Officials initially blamed the E. coli, which has killed 29 people, on imported cucumbers, then bean sprouts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13725953

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2011, 02:07:03 PM »
The source of the e. coli is almost always from an animal.   Somewhere in the production process the vegetables and fruit come in contact with an animal product or something infected by the animal or its products.  Cross contamination in restaurants can infect vegetables. Water wells can become contaminated by cow dung. Streams can become contaminated by runoff from pastures where sick cattle carry the bacteria. It is a problem in cows and makes its way into our food supply.

I have indicated that organic farms used cow dung for fertilizer. It is a very bad practice to put animal dung into the soil where food is being grown. At one time it was a good fertilizer, but now that the animals are suffering great affliction from many diseases that can be transferred to humans, it is no longer a safe practice. The conclusion from the German experts is that the current outbreaks stems from "organic" bean sprouts.  The problem is not the bean sprouts, but the fact that they became contaminated from contact with animal dung.  Either the beans being used or the sprouts themselves. The environment in which the beans are sprouted provides a perfect growing condition for the e coli bacteria. What is very sad is that raw veggies are most healthful and because of the farming practice, people are having to give them up. Grow them at home. But, the beans must be free from bacteria and so must the water be clean.

There is a pattern that is very dangerous.  There are certain foods that continue to show up when these infections happen.  Spinach, bagged lettuce, and sprouts.  It is time for the people charged with protecting society to clean up the  mess.  The most infectious product is not vegetables, but ground up cow.  If one were to study the matter, it will be found that there are many being infected that we never hear about. It is a very serious matter that has not gotten enough attention.

Germany's top disease control official said the origin of the contamination was still believed to be the small organic farm in Lower Saxony which first came under suspicion at the weekend.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2011, 06:39:34 PM »
Seven French children are sick with E. coli infections. Five are thought to have eaten infected ground cow patties.  These infections are much more common than most know.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2011, 07:55:17 PM »
Cow patties are dried cow dung. Do you mean ground beef patties?

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2011, 05:14:34 AM »
Cow patties are dried cow dung.

Are these an entree, rather than a pastry like cow pies?  ;)
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2011, 06:35:10 AM »
Yes, beef patties.  I have gotten in the habit of calling cow meat cow meat, pig meat, pig meat. Most people call chicken meat, chicken.  It seems that it is easier to eat the carcass of a cow if it is called beef rather than cow. When I walk through the meat section of a grocery, I now see cows instead of beef. To some, it may not seem quite right to do so, but I think it not good that we take so lightly the killing of all these animals when there is no reason to do so. And, the foul practices of raising many of these farm animals is very sad also.  Many have no knowledge of what goes on, but over the years I have become informed and no longer can sit back and say nothing. Calling beef, cow meat is just my way of expressing to those who read that if they eat beef, they are eating the carcass of a dead cow.

Eating cow dung seems pretty foul, but so is eating patties made from cows. It is what made these little children very sick and has killed many throughout the world. E. coli, is rampant in cows. It is not safe to eat cow patties, which ever they be.

Vicki

« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2011, 08:35:07 AM »
It seems that it is easier to eat the carcass of a cow if it is called beef rather than cow.

That's right. This week we met a 10yo girl who was writing the President wanting a law to not kill cows - she loves cows. But hamburgers are her favorite.  :( The family is not vegetarian so she was referring to loving beef patties. She hasn't linked the two. At our watermelon picnic this evening I have a feeling that the connection will be made.  ;)

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2011, 09:46:04 AM »
Yes, beef patties.  I have gotten in the habit of calling cow meat cow meat, pig meat, pig meat. Most people call chicken meat, chicken.  It seems that it is easier to eat the carcass of a cow if it is called beef rather than cow. When I walk through the meat section of a grocery, I now see cows instead of beef. To some, it may not seem quite right to do so, but I think it not good that we take so lightly the killing of all these animals when there is no reason to do so.

I agree with you Richard.  Interesting that you should mention that.  When our kids were little they used to like to look at the dead fish in the meat dept. at the grocery store (I don't think they had seen any live fish, yet).  One time we were looking at them, and an employee asked me if I needed any help.  I said no, that we were just looking at the dead fish.  He gave looked at me like I was someone who had just arrived from another planet.  People don't see them that way.  It's "veal," not dead calves.  My wife used to use that terminology at her job.  When her coworkers had some sort of meat for lunch she would refer to it as a dead cow, or fish, or whatever.  It gave them a new perspective on it, although I'm not sure that any of them ever became vegetarians.  When customers ask if we carry certain meat products, we say that we don't carry anything that had a face or a mother (crustaceans don't have much of a face, but they do have mothers  ;D ).  That gives them something to think about.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2011, 10:05:21 AM »
Yes, it does! I was simply giving Richard a hard time!  ;)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2011, 10:32:08 AM »
Thank you, Sybil for giving me the opportunity to express that which I have never in the past. It just kind of slowly became a habit.  My motive is to help people understand the issue. I especially am concerned for the little ones who are at greatest risk from e. coli.

Here is a scientific explanation of what I have been sharing regarding the source of e coli in our fruits and vegetables. "Salmonella, E. coli O157:H7, Campylobacter jejuni, Vibrio cholerae, parasites and viruses can contaminate produce through raw or improperly composted manure, irrigation water containing untreated sewage or manure, and contaminated wash water. Contact with mammals, reptiles, fowl, Insects and unpasteurized animal products are other sources of contamination. Contaminated surfaces, including human hands that come in contact with whole or cut produce, represent potential points of cross-contamination throughout the food system -- growing, harvesting, packing, processing, shipping and preparing produce for consumption." Colorado State University Extension  The primary source of e. coli is the cow. Millions and millions of them are infecting soil, water, and what ever they or their products including feces come in contact with. They are sick and are the cause of human illness and death.

Marelis

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2011, 03:06:59 PM »
Calling beef, cow meat is just my way of expressing to those who read that if they eat beef, they are eating the carcass of a dead cow.
That's a good idea and one that I'll borrow.

In Australia the beef industry has been badly affected by the airing of a documentary about cruelty towards cows in the slaughterhouses in Indonesia.  This should sicken (click on "play" on the cow icon upper left -hand corner for the documentary): 

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/special_eds/20110530/cattle/
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2011, 12:57:22 PM »
I watched it.  Very sad, indeed.  God never intended for the animals to suffer in that manner.  All who eat meat ought to watch it.