Author Topic: Mad Cow Disease (BSE)  (Read 67945 times)

Liane H

• http://
First suspected case of Mad Cow Disease in Washington State
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2003, 06:31:00 AM »
Hi:

I will have to find it again, but I know for sure in the slaughter houses only 1 in every 500,000 cows are sent for inspection and testing, that means that 499,999 cows never get checked. And also remember that now it is ok to cut away diseased parts of the carcus and send the rest of that same animal for food to people.

Liane  

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2003, 09:00:00 AM »
Can you imagin cutting away the bad parts (or even looking for them) in 499,999 cows? I wonder what it would cost to hire enough people to do that and if they would do it correctly if they did? It is my thoughts that they would not pay to hire enough inspectors to do the job even close to right and that those they do hire don't do their job, which is why they won't eat meat. Maybe they are not given enough time to do their job. Who knows. But I doubt that we will ever see it done.

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

[This message has been edited by Sister Glass (edited 12-28-2003).]

With Christian Love,
Marie

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2003, 09:06:00 AM »
Meat of infected cows found in more states
   Investigators disclosed Sunday that they have found meat cut from a Holstein sick with mad cow disease was sent to four more states and one territory. Dr. Kenneth Petersen, an Agriculture Deparetment veterinarian said investigators have now determined that some of the meat from the cow slaughtered Dec 8 went to Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana and Guam.  Earlier, officials had said most of the meat went to Washington and Oregon, with lesser amounts to California and Nevada for distribution to consumers.  (Taken from this morning's news on internet)
I do not understand ICQ, cookies, UBB, HTML, homepage???

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2003, 02:06:00 PM »
Canada exports a large number of live cattle to the U.S. There is  now a question as to the origin of the U.S. Mad Cow. If it came from Canada, that could save the U.S. cattle market millions or even billions of dollars. This will cost Canada even more as their cattle problem will be increased.

Reuters News

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2003, 04:21:00 PM »
Richard,
   Hurray for Japan!  
   Japan tests EVERY cow for the brain wasting illness before slaughter and now Japanese people may hold U.S. beef producers to a similar stamdard. "Unless U.S. can offer the same kind of gaurentee, I will not eat any U.S. beef again"  says one of the Japanenes woman.
  We sure have  a lot to be thankful for with God's health message and wonderful vegies, and fruits, grains, seeds....Thank you Lord.  Ele

Homecoming

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2003, 06:48:00 PM »
How can we encourage members to take Mad Cow seriously?  How can we help each other to stay on a vegan diet?  It is such a touchy subject with many members.  They just do not have any intention of giving up meat in their diets.

Liane H

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2003, 04:07:00 AM »
What to eat has been a long standing issue in the church, that is for sure. We have the commandment from God to Noah that has passed to this generation. One can eat meat, but it must be clean. That is why there were only a single pair of the unclean animals that entered the ark and seven of the clean.

This message of clean and unclean was made clear to Moses from God to the people that would become to be known as the children of Israel.

The message of clean and unclean foods got lost during the Christian era, but now there is a last generation that God has made known once again of the message of clean and unclean foods.

Yet God did not stop there. Through the Spirit of Prophecy God gave us an even deeper message. Let us go back to Eden and eat as I had given you in the beginning. This message was enforced through the reading of Daniel and how following the counsel given by God from Eden and Daniel was blessed because of that.

Now something is happening that is changing the way we need to live and give glory to God.

Romans:

8:22   For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.  

Let's face it, the earth is falling apart from disease, distruction and abuse. We have made a mess of this planet. It is already showing the signs that it can no longer support the life as we know it or the lifestyles of the people who have taken so much and given nothing back.

There is much truth and hope in the Spirit of Prophecy messages given to us. They expound upon what has already been given to us through the Scriptures. This light is a gift from God in how we should be living in this last generation.

For those of us that know the a nd live these truths must be the depository of information and wisdom for those that have yet to learn and understand.  

That is what this forum Healthful Living is all about. Those of us that have learn the  message and are living it, must pass on to those of us that still need to learn.

Liane      

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2003, 06:05:00 AM »
To Liane....AMEN
To Homecoming, Not to take Mad Cow disease seriously is like saying  "Don't read the Bible or keep the commandments, you'll still get to heaven".  If it is hard for us to stop sinning, we must get closer to Jesus and commune with Him more.  If we have cancer and they gave us one road to walk on and we will live, but the other road will kill us, what road would we take?  This is where we are today.  We must, (including myself) abide by the health rules, more today than ever before.  Read the recipes in this forum, read Richard's inspirations and others also for the help you need, and get closer to Jesus.
   This morning again in internet, the Mad Cow problem in the U.S. is growing and we'll have much more if they don't take it seriously.
   Let us all pray:  Dearest Heavenly Father, Please give us the strength, the knowledge to follow your health laws.  Thank you for all your ideas on how to prepare wonderful meatless foods. Thank you for you vegies, fruits, grains, seeds, legunes that you have given us for health. Help us Lord, I pray in Jesus name. Amen   Ele  

Homecoming

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2003, 06:34:00 AM »
I understand the needs completely.  I just get discouraged and saddened sometimes by the attitudes of others regarding these subjects.  For example, I was talking to some students about the diseases that are spreading in the elk and deer population while we were doing a science chapter.  One 8th grade girl just replied, "Well, I guess I follow what my dad always says, 'You only live once so you might as well enjoy what you're eating and not worry about what could happen.'  Besides, Jesus ate meat."  This made me so sad because she already formed her opinion at such a young age and also that her parents influenced her in this direction.  

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2003, 08:46:00 AM »
While the parents influence is great, it is not always the last word. Educate, educate, educate. Plant the seeds and God will water.  :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Liane H

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2003, 08:59:00 AM »
Was raised that way of thinking myself, but what I have learned is that the power of the Holy Spirit to change minds can and does  happen, because it happened to me.

When I was younger I use to laugh at vegetarians, no more not today I do not. They will have the last laugh on me because unless the Lord comes they will outlive me by years.

A couple that I know were and still are  part of a government study program of SDA's and how they differ from the rest of the nation when it comes to lifestyle  experiences. Some of  our professional people in the church were given the current findings and this is what was learned:

Those that ate all kinds of meat verses those SDA's that just eat clean meats we outlived people from the world by at least two years or if not more.

Those in the world that eat vegetarian on different levels verses the SDA's our church people outlived them by three or four years.  

Even when you compared the meat eaters verses vegetarians within the church the veg people outlived our meat eaters by five to seven years. And we are talking about better health as well for each group.

The government made no mention as to why there was a difference in life spand between world compared to the church. It was the conclusion of the church professionals that the one day a week sabbath rest was the reason.

Liane

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Suzanne

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2003, 10:15:00 AM »
More on Mad Cow Disease

Many are taking comfort in the fact that only 1 animal was found to have the disease. But who knows how many others made it to the dinner plates of America? And how many other animals will they find tomorrow, or the next day, week, month, etc? An article in the March 12,2001 issue of Newsweek, entitled The Slow Deadly Spread of Mad Cow Disease, laments the fact that "America's safeguards and surveillance efforts are far weaker than most people realize."

Spread by eating only the brains (yuk!) and spinal cord? Don't count on it! Slaughtering practices that contaminate meat with bits of brain and spinal cord tissue could easily spread mad cow disease to humans. Slaughterers use pneumatic stun guns or captive bolts to knock cattle out before slaughter, and both devices can blast fragments of brain and spinal cord into the cow's bloodstream and muscle tissue.

American slaughterhouses waste very little. To get as much meat from animal carcasses as possible, they use two methods that may contaminate meat further with spinal cord tissue. "Mechanically separated product" is a meat paste made by crushing the bones, including vertebrae, and then straining out the bond fragments. Products made with this paste (including lunch meats and hot dogs) are required to carry a label that lists "mechanically separated beef product."

Advanced meat recovery systems, mechanically remove the last bits of meat from bones. Tests have shown that the meat may contain fragments of spinal cord tissue, which can be used in ground beef, hot dogs and sausages. --Natural Health Magazine, Oct/Now. 2001.

Timemagazine, Jan 29, 2001 also carried an article showing that "while the disorder strikes primarily the brain and the rest of the central nervous system, these tissues may have contaminated other parts during slaughtering and thus entered the human food supply."

Repeat Performance? An article in the Los Angeles Times, March 22, 1996, notes that the first case of Mad Cow disease in the British Isles occurred in 1985, when a Holstein dairy cow suddenly became edgy and uncoordinated, then aggressive and unpredictable....(The rest is history). The Los Anteles Times, Dec. 24, 2003, pointed out that a Holstein dairy cow...tested positive for "mad cow" disease. The spinal cord and brain were removed and the remainder was sent to a processing plant. Elsa Murano, undersecrtary for food safety at the Agriculture Department, said it was possible that the meat had already made it to grocery stores. Can you believe it?

Indeed several days later a news item noted that this meat had been distributed in 8 states and Guam.

The World Health Organization (WHO), an agency of the United Nations, with headquarters in Geneva, disagrees with this deadly practice: "No part or product of an animal which has shown signs of a TSE (transmissible spongiform encephalopathy), should enter any (human or animal) food chain. Countries should not permit tissues that are likely to contain BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy) to enter any (human or animal) food chain."

~Suzanne~

Suzanne

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2003, 10:32:00 AM »
How Now, Mad Cow

Time magazine, noted back in Jan. 27, 1997 "there are 44 million head of cattle in the U.S. and 17 million are killed for food each year. If just one of these slaughtered cows turns out to be a mad cow, the illness that's now an ocean away could establish its first beachhead on American shores." Well that has happened. indeed, '...the thing which I (we) greatly feared is come...." Job 3:25.

Similarities of Alzheimer's disease and Mad Cow disease.

Gregory Cheadle, writing in Tainted Meat offers this warning: "Since CJD Creutzfelt Jakob Disease and vCJD can only be confirmed by an autopsy, could it be that the alarming increase in the number of cases of what we loosly call Alzheimer's disease and dementia are actually misdiagnosed and undiagnosed cases of vCJD or CJD in variouis stages resulting from eating BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy, mad cow disease) infected meat?"

30 years ago few had heard of Alzheimer's disease. Today it is one of the most dreaded diseases known, affecting over 4 million Americans.

"Can't Fool (With) Mother Nature!"

That's right, Mother Nature never intended that diseased meat should be fed to herbivorous (vegetarian) animals. Indeed, it is grossly unnatuiral to feed other animals to cattle, who are natural vegetarians. When we violate this rule...watch out! anything can happen.

And yes, since 1997 there has been a ban on cattle feed that contains tissue from the brain and spine of infected animals, and other animal parts, etc. but this feed ban has been grossly violated by cattlemen and feed mills, etc. There is really no way to enfore it and in many, many cases it is simply ignored. This according to John Stauber, writing in Mad Cow U.S.A.

A Wall Street Journal headline: From Lipstick to Marshmallows, It's Got Some Cow In It. Indeed, because of the mad cow scare, some cosmetic and dietary supplement makers have switched to pig sources. And many folk have given up eating beef in favor of pork. Have mercy! What is this world coming to?

~Suzanne~

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 12-30-2003).]

Deb

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2003, 10:43:00 AM »
Am I wrong on this reasoning? Seems I heard that the mad cow disease doesn't show up in the cows for several years. The cow that came down with it in the State of Washington was an older cow.

But we slaughter most of our cows before they reach the age where they could show symptoms of Mad Cow disease..like at two or three years of age. In other words, the cows don't live long enough for us to even KNOW if they have Mad Cow disease or not because they are already slaughtered and people have already eaten them.

Ohhhhh, horrible thought!! What would this be called? A plague or pestilence?  

Liane H

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2003, 03:53:00 PM »
Hi Deb:

It became a surprise to me to learn that milking cows only live for three years now instead of ten as I had believed. I wonder if it is because of this three year limit.

My question would  be and I will try to find out is that the prion that causes this disease does not show up until three or more years, but does that mean that before then there are no prion in their system?

Is there a clock that says three years is the time when the body of the cow starts to process prion?

Liane    

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Deb

« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2003, 07:59:00 PM »
Liane, I heard this very thing discussed on a talk show while driving the car today. I don't remember who the announcer was since I don't normally listen to these programs but as they were discussing Mad Cow disease, I was interested in what they had to say.

They said the very same thing I said in my previous post here. They wondered WHEN the cow gets the disease and IS it already in the system when the cow seems healthy and for how long? Lots of questions but the one thing that might be a clue is this: if we get it, it stays in our systems for years before it shows up as a disease. Is it possible for the same thing to happen to the cows?

If so, then those with alzheimers or CJD today are a small minority now compared to what is going to happen in a few short years!!

Debbie

JohnH

« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2003, 08:22:00 PM »
This all really is so reminiscent of the early days of the AIDS epidemic.  Scientists knew so very little, but acted as though they knew so much, and told the general public that there was nothing to worry about.

------------------
Believe in the Lord your God, so shall ye be established; believe His prophets, so shall ye prosper. -- 2 Chronicles 20:20

Believe in the Lord your God, so shall ye be established; believe His prophets, so shall ye prosper. -- 2 Chronicles 20:20

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2003, 08:34:00 PM »
We know quite a bit. In 1994 I produced a video tape on "Milk". In that program we discussed Mad Cow Disease and the risk to humans even though the "experts" in England insisted there was no danger. They said that there was no evidence that eating the mad cows would transmit the disease to people.

God has blessed His people with "light". One of the reasons for doing the program was to educate people on the "new science" that cooking our food does not necessarily stop the transmission of infectious disease. It is true that high temperature can destroy the prion, but it is much higher than anything that will happen to meat or milk prior to human consumption. In the program, Dr. Hulse said that it would take 350 degrees centigrade to halt the infective nature of the prion.

Who can say today that it is safe to drink milk from an infected cow under the age of three? I am not sure that anyone can. I just finished reading the transcript of today's Technical Briefing by the U.S. Government Officials On BSE. It was said in response to a question about testing the meat being recalled, that they could not test the meat. They stated that they needed central nervous system material to test.

This indicates to me that if a milk cow was infected, there is no way to know this unless the cow is slaughtered and the brain tested. Can the milk be infectious? It seems that it is not highly infectious, but it is not known for sure. There is thinking that urine and feces from animals may transmit the disease in the case of deer and elk. The world is not enlightened as to the dangers of eating animal products, but they are learning quickly if they want to.

There is a population of humans living  in the state of Washington that are concerned that the discovery of the U.S. mad cow may make it more difficult for them to get the brains of cattle that they consider a delicacy. Some will not take heed to the risk.

We do not need to take the risk because we don't live for the pleasing of our perverted appetites, but rather for the glory of God. We know that there is a God in heaven who has given us a diet that is perfect for our bodies. We trust in our Bible, our God, and the light given to help us prepare for the soon coming of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

Let us walk in the light as He is in the light and all of the questions so important for the world to answer we do not need to know. By walking in the light we are protected from the dangers now facing the world with the disease in the animals.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2004, 08:19:00 AM »
God loves us to have warned us over a hundred years ago about the dangers of eating animals and their products. Here is a person to watch. She one day will suffer for her wrong statements.

There is much effort to keep the truth away from the public regarding the dangers. Notice in this article that "downer" cattle are being used without testing all for BSE.

Scientific American

[This message has been edited by Richard Myers (edited 01-10-2004).]

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2004, 10:59:00 AM »
Did you know that federal law prevents the publication of the names of restaurants that received recalled meat? The U.S. "mad cow" precipitated a recall. "Officials said bones from the same batch also went to six restaurants, but the officials said federal regulations prohibit them from releasing the names of the restaurants."

Those who do not pay attention to what is in their food when they eat at restaurants, enjoy your vegetable soup seasoned with these soup bones. The government says there is nothing to worry about.

Mad Cow Recall