Author Topic: Diabetes  (Read 35349 times)

Diana Lynn Clark

• http://
Diabetes
« on: May 28, 2000, 01:24:00 PM »
Hello, I was wondering if anyone would care to write me who is also afflicted with diabetes.  I have taken insulin and oral medication for approximately 8 years.  I have listened to tapes by Dr. Hans Diel who says this is a 'self-chosen disease'.  Well let me tell you, I did NOT chose it.  I have also listened to tapes on the Hallelujah Diet but this program is not in accordance with our counsel.  I would LOVE to get off insulin of course but nothing I try seems to work.  If you would like to exchange ideas, please write me.

------------------
The world is full people who work at jobs they don't enjoy, to buy things they don't need, to impress people they don't like.

"The world is full of people who work at jobs they don't enjoy, to buy things they don't need, to impress people they don't like."

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
    • http://www.drdugaldlewis.com
Diabetes
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2000, 08:12:00 PM »
Dear Diana,

I believe that you should listen to the diabetes interventional program offered by Dr Sang Lee. He is a physician, a trained immunologist who understands the pathophysiology of disease very well. I feel that the concepts he promotes in battling diabetes are sound. If you desire further information regarding Dr Lee, please send me a private e-mail.  

I'm not sure what Dr Diel is talking about.

Sincerely
Dugald

[This message has been edited by Dugald T Lewis MD (edited 05-28-2000).]

Liane H

Diabetes
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2000, 08:12:00 PM »
Hello Diane:

Well your not alone.  Diabetes is an every increasing disease that will, along with a few other diseases bankrupt the medical profession.

I have diabetes.  Now I want to claify that I think that different people have to deal with diabetes in different ways.  Some have a family trait for diabetes.  Some get it from lifestyle.  Some have both.  

In my case there is no family history of diabetes on either side.  I got this all by myself with my poor eating habits and sedetary lifestyle. I gained weight and it started with a slow rising of cholesterol, high blood pressure, weight and then the diabetes.  

I was diagnosed with diabetes last year at 258 fasting, but there had been a slow rise in my glucose levels over the years, but this was the highest. the doctor told me I had to get it down, but was not much help.  I read some materials, such as the ones that you mentioned and came down to about 204.  The doctor was still alarmed, well so because when I was eating I am sure I was even higher.  I kept plugging along.  The next ready was 187.  It was at this time the doctor wanted me on medication for diabetes. She gave me the prescription and I read up on it and said no.  

Now again, I want you to know that each person is different and deals with diabetes in different ways.  I called Uchee Pines in Alabama and spoke with a Dr. Miller.  Dr. Thrash runs the place. For $30.00 they will talk to you for 30 minutes.  I sent them all my medical records.  His answer to me was that I would have to make very RADICAL changes in my eating habits and lifestyle. I also have a friend who came from a place called Weimar, Ca. as a nurse.  She sent me there guidelines for diabetes.  There is also one other place called Wildwood in Georgia.

To say the least my doctor at my HMO was not happy with my decision. I gave up all meat, diary products, fish.  At first I had to even give up fruits. I ate soy products, ate vegetables and graines.  I also take three times a day at two tablespoons a day psyllium. I think you can get it tablets. I also take something called Green+ that has three of the best herbs for diabetes along with bilberry which is good for eyes.

Tests have been done with psyllium that has shown that it helps bring the diabetes down. If you get into the internet and just write psyllium and hit search you will find alot of information about psyllium.  Since I was fighting several battles at the same time this sounded good to me.  If you live in California and can get near a Trader Joe's they sell it in a round black cantainer.

Anyway I started in earnest after my talk with Dr. Miller on March 3rd at which time I also started checking my blood.  At that time in the morning I was reading at 167 fasting and going up to 203, 207 after eating.  

I now read about 89 to 118 in the morning and am anywhere from 96 to 138 two hours after eating. My nutritinist at the HMO said that I was no longer considered a diabetic. I go this Wednesday for my 3 month ratio reading to see if I am down from the 7.9 reading of six months ago.  But since I started this in earnest on March 3rd, it will be a 3 month reading.  

Another key to this was my increase in exercise.  I went from just doing about two 15 minutes walking in place to now an hour a day breaking it up in the morning, lunch and at night walking, riding my bike.

I have experimented with the psyllium and eaten several foods that I know will bring up your sugar.  Before I could not even eat them.  Now I can in limited amounts.  

One of the things I learned and there is a web site by a guy about glycemic index.  Look up Glycemic index and you will find him.  His name is I think Rick Mendoza.  He is also a diabetes.  Well certain foods will bring up your sugar, such as carrots, white potatoes, refinded foods, etc. They have the list of foods that will do that to you.  

There is a book by Aileen Ludington and she writes about all different disease including diabetes in her book when she worked at Weimar.  She has seen case histories of people who had been on insulin and gone off and others that were able to reduce it to a very low level.

Alot depends on if you have type I or type II diabetes.  Type I startes as a child, but type II startes as an adult.  Type II is the one that can be reversed.  Many people with type II can reverse there pancrease so that it can function once again.

You will never know how many tears I shed over this.  I am greatful for the diabetes in a way, because it made me make very big changes in my life.  I feel better than I have very felt in my whole life. I feel closer to God now than I have ever.  

If you want more information or just want to write, please feel free to ask for my e-mail I will be glad to do so.

My prayers are with you.

Liane    

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Gerry Buck

Diabetes
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2000, 07:28:00 AM »
Loma Linda also offers a NEWSTART program , it deals with all aspects of your lifestyle.

There is a Lifestyle Center in Battle Creek , Mi. now also.

The 'Green' Lian was talking about might be  'Barley Green' , it has all the nutrients in it , and you could viably live on it.

For more info on Barley Green you might contact Ken and Bonnie Parsons :
bonnieparson@yahoo.com

Good luck , my wife has this disease also.
------------------
Better the storm <B>with</B> Christ
than the smooth waters <B>without</B> Him.
Gerry

[This message has been edited by Gerry Buck (edited 05-29-2000).]

Examine me, O LORD, and prove me: try my reins and my heart.Ps.26:2
Gerry B.

Gerry Buck

Diabetes
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2000, 07:40:00 AM »
I used to suffer from hypo-glycemia. But since I have put on several pounds( I weigh around 320) I border on Hyper.

I know from reading that psyllium can help lower weight , but will it bring down sugar levels as well?

And what about supplements like Barley green and other vitamins? To lose weight that is.

Gerry B.

[This message has been edited by Gerry Buck (edited 05-29-2000).]

Examine me, O LORD, and prove me: try my reins and my heart.Ps.26:2
Gerry B.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Diabetes
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2000, 07:43:00 AM »
Sister Diana, I was going to respond to your post, but Sister Liane has said what I would have but from a much better position. Who cannot appreciate her experience and the results.  <P>Carefully study the books, Ministry of Healing and Diet and Foods. I worked with diabetics doing health education and can confirm from my experience that which Sister Liane has experienced is a very frequent result after making lifestyle changes that are taught in the two books I recommended.

I am familiar with the work being done at Weimar and Uchee Pines as they teach according to the light we have been given. Multitudes of diabetics leave their programs no longer diabetics. Not all can do this. Some, type 1 diabetics, do not produce insulin and will have to take insuline, but even they can reduce the amount by making lifestyle changes.  I have yet to meet one single Seventh-day Adventist who was sick that could not improve their diet or lifestyle. God is good to give us such light that we can improve our health.

I hope these posts have encouraged you that God will help you to improve your health. The Drs. Thrash have written a book on diabetes that I would suggest in addition to the Spirit of Prophecy books. You may find the URL for Uchee Pines in the Web Sites forum.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Liane H

Diabetes
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2000, 10:32:00 AM »
Dear Brother Gerry and Sister Diane:

As for the Barley Greens, there are several types of Greens products out there.  I have also used Mighty Greens from Pines, but the one I use is Greens+ from another company, not Barley Greens.  I would like to know the company that produces this.  The reason I chose Greens+ is because it has three of the best herbs for diabetes as well as other greens that give energy and supliment the foods that I could not have until I got my diabetes under control.  

As for hypoglecemia Dr. Thrash book on Diabetes and Hpoglecemia is available at any Adventist Book store or you can go to Uchee Pines web and order there.  It is very technical and way beyond me, but I gleened enough to learn about food and how diabetes works.

the basic for anyone with a health problem is that almost all solutions are the same with a little variance.  Get away from meat, eat regularly and exercise, drink alot of water and let the Lord lead you in the direction He wants you to go.  

The point for me was that I wanted to see if I could do this without having to go to such a place as Uchee Pines, Weimar, etc. and do it.

Food is the key to good health.  Our Lord gave this light to a woman who in a time laughed at her ideas, came away with a message from God that religions today are just now picking up.  I firmely believe that it will be the health message which will wake people up to a spiritual awareness of the truths of God.

The secular medical system is going to crumble under the weight of illness that it cannot afford to care for.  People are going to be looking any place they can for help.  We need to be ready with the symbol that is at the entrance of Loma Linda Medical Center. A woman with a bread basket in one hand and a Bible in the other. With these two tools we can bring people the precious truths that God has entrusted to us.  

As for psyllium, it is for weight, diabetes and cholesterol.  Just get to search in the web and type psyllium and you will find reports regarding studies that have been done regarding psyllium.  

Those of us that let our health fail or have family traits that subject us to health problems need a little help until we get the problem under control.

I am now at the time that I can start to try certain foods that have been off limits, such as fruit.  There are certain vegetables that are very high in sugar, such as white potatoes, certain rice, carrots, etc. that bring up the sugar.  Once the sugar levels are under control, then with limits one can re-introduce these foods back into your diet.

Type I will always have to use insulin, but type II can in most cases reverse meds and/or insulin.  

Whatever you do, continue with your regular doctor.  Let him/her know what you are doing and start slowly and watch your blood sugar levels. As you change your LIFESTYLE, you will see the difference.  BUT DO IT SLOWLY.  I did.

I am one of the most childish eaters in the world.  My friends know this.  I am a very picky eater, but with the Lord I was able to start eating foods that I never have tasted in my life.  My taste buds changed in ways that I never could believe.  I actually found out that I was not tasting food, but gulping down, coating it with butter, sugar and salt.

The awakening that you experience brings you closer to the Lord.  Your sight become clearer, you perception become more acute and you minds begins to realize spirtual things as never before.  

Read, study and put your hands on those truths that you learn and the Lord helps with the rest.

My prayers are with you and your family.  Also, I want to pass on, that if you have family, they will reap what you change.  They will live a better lifesytle while they are still young and never have to face the health problems that confront you.  It has to be a family thing.  Help your children be a part of the process.  Let them read along with you what the Lord has to say.  Let them help cook the food and learn what food is and what it can do to keep you healty and well. Let them be part of your experience so that they will be able to help others.  

What happens to you will touch others, it has for me.  It has given me courage to give people books like the Desire of Ages, a thing I would never have had the courage to do before.  People at work see a different me.  They come to me and ask why.  I can tell them now and am not ashamed to say I am a Seventh-day Adventist and embarrass my church.  I knew these truths for many years, but never lived up to them.  What a shame.  But the Lord is not through with me and in His good graces has given me a longer life than I deserve.  He has helped me turn this around for the benefit of others.

May the Lord bless you in your journey as you make changes in your own life.  

Oh by the way I was 200 pounds at 5 feet.  I am now 177.

Your sister in Christ.

Also, thanks Richard for this wonderful place. The Lord is truly blessing this ministry.

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Suzanne

Diabetes
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2000, 03:33:00 PM »
Indeed, diabetes is a major health problem in our country and in our church. This malady (adult-onset diabetes), is irrefutably linked to the "meat and sweets" diet so prevalent today. Researchers have found that when diabetics adhere to a low-fat, high-fiber, complex carbohydrate (vegetarian) diet they are often able to reduce and even eliminate their insulin dosages. Unfortunately, as people around the world incresingly adopt the meat- and sweets-based diets, their incidences of this disease--which can lead to heart disease, gangrene, kidney and eye problems--rise dramatically.

An interesting case history is that of Dr. Albert Schweitzer. At age 75 the brilliant humanitarian, missionary, theologian, musician and physician was successfully treated for life threatening diabetes by Max Gerson, MD. His method of treatment consisted of a total vegetarian diet with plenty of organic vegetables, fruits and whole grains. Schweitzer maintained this diet and was able to return to his African hospital where he won the 1952 Nobel Peace Prize and worked past age 90!

Other research:

A 6-yr study of more than 65,000 women revealed that those who consumed the most sugar and ate the least fiber had two and one half times the risk of developing non-insulin-dependent diabetes. Women who consumed a large amount of fiber from cold breakfast cereals saw a 28% decreased risk of the malady. Foods that caused a significant increased risk: cola beverages, white bread, white rice, and French fries. --Journal of the American Medical Assoc.

Dr. Julian Whitaker's Health and Healing newsletter, Dec. 1994: Only 10 percent of people diagnosed with diabetes have insufficient insulin. 90 percent have "insulin resistance." Here the pancreas produces plenty of insulin, but it doesn't work. It's blocked by a high-fat diet, lack of exercise and obesity, which cause insulin resistance. This same insulin resistance can cause high-blood-pressure...A very low-fat-diet can counter insulin resistance.

The benefits of exercise, especially walking...Diabetes mellitus has been known to disappear in older people with a regular daily program of walking.

Liane H

Diabetes
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2000, 05:29:00 PM »
Hello Brothers and Sisters:

I can hardly contain myself with joy.  I just got my blood results from the doctor.  Yes indeed a vegetarian diet with proper exercise can make all the difference in the world.  So here it goes:

2/28/00                  5/31/00

Choles    227                     164
Trig      151                      78
HDL        47                      42
LDL       150                     106
Ratio     4.8                    3.9

Glucose   204                      99
Ratio     7.9                      6.2

When I first looked at the results, I had to be sure my name was on it.  I could not believe it myself, but God says All things are possible.  

I am so grateful for the health message.  I made alot of wrong turns in my life, but becoming an Adventist was not one of them.  I still have to get my weight down more and I want better readings after I eat.  But this is heaven on earth.  

Praise our God.  Bless His name.

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Suzanne

Diabetes
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2000, 01:59:00 PM »
Activity Is Vital For Diabetics.

It is well-known that people who exercise lower their risk of developing diabetes. Now physicians at the Cooper Institute for Aerobic Research have established that staying active helps those who already have diabetes live longer.

Being physically fit helps control weight gain and prevents cardiovascular disease, common outgrowths of the illness. --Annals of Internal Medicine 2000;132:605-11.

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
Diabetes
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2000, 04:16:00 PM »
Dear liane,

Congratulations. You have demonstrated magnificent improvement. Those results beat the effects of the current cholesterol lowering agents. Most doctors today never discuss diet and exercise as therapy. They reach for the prescription pad instead. May God bless your continued efforts as your sincerity and belief in the SDA health message is evident.

Sincerely
Dugald  

PS. Sorry that I am a little late

[This message has been edited by Dugald T Lewis MD (edited 11-01-2000).]

Liane H

Diabetes
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2000, 06:37:00 PM »
Hi Dr. Dugald:

A little late, but I am glad you brought this back up.

I have been for about a week having these real bad pain on the sides of my head in front of my ears and I did not know what was going on.

I would be fine when I woke up, but as I would eat and start my day, by the time I was at work my head would be throbing on the sides of my face. This was happening everyday and then when I got home after a few hours it would go away until the next day.  I kept checking my glucose, they were ok. My blood pressure was up, but nothing major, could not understand. This went on for about two weeks.

I finally went to my doctor.  He thinks it is either stress or TMJ.  Anyway, when he saw my gloucose readings, he checked my chart and said, what are you taking, it does not show that you have been using the medications we told you to take.  I said, I have been doing this by diet and exercise only and I emphasized the exercise.

All he said was: amazing, just amazing.

I know that doctors just can't believe it. But I have faith in God and what He has given us and I took hold of it. I have been truly blessed.

Liane

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
Diabetes
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2000, 07:10:00 PM »
Dear liane,

I am not at all surprised at your results. Many studies have shown that 80% of adult onset diabetes is preventable. Since 3% of the population are diabetics ( approx 16 million) and there are about 7 million potential diabetics, we could drastically reduce the cost of managing diabetes if individuals would take some simple steps in avoiding the onset or controlling the disease.

Keep sharing your experience as others may benefit.

Sincerely
Dugald  

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Diabetes
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2000, 08:19:00 AM »
Sister Liane, thank you again for sharing. The reason your doctor is so amazed is that he believes diabetes is a disease rather than a metabolic disorder. He thought you needed drugs to keep it under control. You may have done some damage to your body, but with proper eating and proper lifestyle, you are not a diabetic.  Many will argue with this. I had a patient who quit coming to our weekly program because he could not accept this truth. He was unwilling to change his eating habits. This is an underlying cause for much of the rejection of our (God's) program.

Amazing! Just amazing, what God wants to do for us!  :)

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Liane H

Diabetes
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2000, 05:45:00 PM »
Hi Richard:

You know what is the saddest part of it all, that when you change your lifestyle, the way you eat and the way you exercise, which I have been told takes about 21 days to develop new habits and for new synapse routes to grow in your brain, it is so easy.

When I am at a market or restaurant and I see the way I use to eat in other people and I feel so sorry for them. I was watching a man look at the ingrediants in a package one day and I came to him and said, Do you see any fiber in that. He looked and said no. All I said, was think about that.  

If it was hard, I would say, go ahead and take the medication, but it is not. You don't have to be a fancy cook, make great meals unless you really like to cook (which I don't), but eating should be a simple thing and preparing it should be simple as well. It gives you so much free time to do so many wonderful things in this world, like spend more time getting to know the best friend you could every have, Jesus.

Liane

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
Diabetes
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2000, 06:54:00 PM »
Dear Richard,

The basic defeciency in DM is a failure of the B cells in the islet of Langerhans to produce insulin to meet the demands of the body. Many factors account for this, one of the main being genetic predisposition. I am not sure that all cases of DM can safely be regarded as a metabolic disorder as the failure to produce insulin can be evident in afflictions of the pancreas eg,chronic pancreatitis due to alcoholism, pancreatic resections, and acute pancreatitis due to a multiplicty of factors.

Dr Sang Lee tells the story of a patient with DM as a result of pancreatic resection due to trauma, who was weaned off insulin by his program. He believes that the body can produce insulin from other areas to meet the demands, but certain metabolic steps must be taken to facilitate this type of natural healing. I am aware of other centers that have helped patients to stabilize glucose metabolism in a way that the manifestations
of insufficient insulin production are not clinically evident.

I am left to conclude that the individuals who are prone to developing DM must take the necessary metabolic steps to prevent the onset of DM. Those who have DM must take the necessary steps to facilitate natural healing and a reduction of demands on the pancreas. Here is where good health education plays a vital role.

Sincerely
Dugald

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Diabetes
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2000, 08:23:00 PM »
Thank you, Dr. Dugald for the comments. Yes, there are type one diabetics that do not have the ability to produce enough insulin and there are some that are classified as type two that have indeed damaged their pancreas, but Liane WAS a type two (adult onset). Insulin resistance is a common problem. Many times there is no problem in producing insulin, it is the inability of the insulin to move the blood sugar through the cellular membrane. I am not an expert on the matter, but I understand that we can effectively reduce this resistance and this is probably what Sister Liane experienced. She probably had no reduced insulin production, but rather a resistance to what she had produced. If blood insulin levels had been taken, they probably would have been high.

In working with diabetics, we have seen again and again many cases where just making lifestyle changes results in a normal life without any drugs or insulin. Blood sugar returns to a normal level when proper eating and exercise habits are established.

The lifestyle changes we are discussing are very effective at reducing insulin resistance.  God is good to us to tell us what we need to do, before we know the whys and the wherefores.    :)  His ways are best.

Richard

Suzanne

Diabetes
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2000, 08:01:00 AM »
THE SYNDROME X EPIDEMIC

Have you heard of it? Probably not, but if you eat the typical American diet, with all the refined, processed carbohydrates (cakes, cookies, sodas, ice cream and other sweets)  you either have the syndrome or risk developing it.

Syndrome X describes a cluster of two or more related health problems. Central to the syndrome is insulin resistance, the inability to efficiently use insulin to help burn blood sugar. It is often accompanied by abdominal obesity, high blood pressure and elevated levels of cholesterol and triglycerides.

How does it develop? The more refined carbohydrates we consume, the faster the blood sugar rises after a meal. In response, the body pumps out large amounts of insulin to help move that blood sugar into cells. But insulin (a powerful hormone) also promotes fat storage, increased blood pressure and elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

Almost 55 percent of Americans are overweight, a sign of syndrome X. In addition, 25 percent of thin people have insulin resistance, the cornerstone of syndrome X. Based on these numbers, more than 65 percent of American adults either have or are at risk of syndrome X.

All of this blood sugar and insulin generates large numbers of hazardous free radicals, which age the body and set the stage for heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer's and other diseases. To prevent syndrome X, take these steps:

* Avoid refined carbohydrates (cakes, cookies, refined flour and sugar products, etc.)

* Build your diet around plant foods: legumes, fruits, vegetables and nuts. A wide variety of vegetarian meats are available. Choose your favorites.

* Engage in some form of physical activity, such as walking, gardening, etc.   --adapted from "Let's Live, Feb. 2000

MORE ABOUT INSULIN RESISTANCE:

Insulin is the juice that greases human metabolism. It "knocks" on cells to get them to open their "doors" to glucose, the sugary fuel we make of our food. For those who have Syndrome X, cells may ignore, or become "resistant," to insulin's "knock," so they don't let glucose in. Indeed, when the hormone can't push glucose into the cells, then glucose clutters up the bloodstream, causing problems.

Researcher George Howard, PhD, professor of biostatistics and epidemiology at Bowman Gray School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, NC, warns, "Insulin resistance is very bad, and it turns out to be related to everything--to atherosclerosis, to hypertension, to diabetes, to elevated triglycerides, and to clotting factors like fibrinogen. It's a very important risk factor for heart disease."  --Prevention, May 1997.

"Abdominal fat appears to be related to insulin resistance," says Henry S. Kahn, MD, associate professor of family and preventive medicine at Emory Univ. School of Medicine in Atlanta. As a result, the blood sugar levels remain unusually high. It's possible that over time this resistance can cause the body to stop producing insulin, resulting in one form of middle-age diabetes. "Insulin resistance may also help create yet more abdominal fat," Dr. Kahn points out.

However, as has already been shown in an earlier post, only 10 percent of people diagnosed with diabetes have insufficient insulin. 90 percent have "insulin resistance." Here the pancreas produces plenty of insulin, but it doesn't work. It's blocked by a HIGH-FAT DIET, lack of exercise and obesity--which cause insulin resistance. This same process can cause high blood pressure, heart disease and other problems, according to Julian Whitaker's Health and Healing Newsletter, Dec. 1994.  

Brothers and sisters, it seems that our major degenerative diseases--heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. are related and are products of what we eat. Let us with prayer and humble hearts, review, study and implement the principles of  our health message, as outlined in "The Ministry of Healing," "Counsels on Diet and Foods," and the other inspired health principles brought to us in the Spirit of Prophecy.

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 11-09-2000).]

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Diabetes
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2000, 08:39:00 PM »
Thank you, Sister Suzanne. I was tempted, but thought better of it.  Three years ago Loma Linda hosted the first national meeting on Diabetes. Physicians and instructors from around the world gathered and discussed the latest developments in the world of diabetes. Syndrome X was covered quite well. Much is being learned and the light given to us as a people is being vindicated.  :) It was a blessing to hear some of our people sharing these beautiful truths.

In His love and grace,    Richard

Suzanne

Diabetes
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2000, 03:25:00 PM »
More on Diabetes and Syndrome X

A true story: Austin, (not his real name), 63, a long time diabetic, recently had a heart bypass operation. Unfortunately, Austin had never been much interested in healthful living--never exercises--and indeed has to have lots of meat and sweets on a daily basis. Even the routine health lecture after his bypass didn't really register with him. Through the years he developed a huge "beer belly" which he seems to wear with pride.

Several years earlier he had joined the SDA church, but left after a while, complaining that it was too restrictive. A few months ago he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and cannot seem to understand what all has gone wrong.

Austin has a classic case of Syndrome X. He truly needs our prayers.

Unfortunately, Austin's condition may parallel that of many SDAs. Indeed, the Standard American Diet, (SAD) in many cases is also the Standard Adventist Diet. So many Adventists, like Austin regularly manage to find their way to the many joints featuring the All-American Greaseburger, larded chicken dinners and fish recently pulled from a sea of month-old cooking oil. A daily supply of cakes, pies, donuts, shakes, sodas, candy, cookies and ice cream--sweets of every stripe and type--join meat in crowding out the protective foods--fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts.

Lord, help me to be gentle in assessing a situation that simply must be addressed. The average American and many Adventists, spend their days stuffing their bodies with animal fat, cholesterol, sugar, excessive salt, refined foods, alcohol, caffeine and all kinds of chemical food additives. And sooner or later they must pay the piper. Indeed, this is the perfect lead-in to Syndrome X and beyond.

The term was first coined by Gerald M. Reaven, M.D., and a group of researchers at Stanford University, to describe a cluster of conditions that when occuring together cause obesity, diabetes, hypertension and coronary heart disease. Insulin is the hormone responsible for getting energy, in the form of glucose, or blood sugar, into our cells. As was mentioned in an earlier post, insulin resistance--the inability of the cells to efficiently use insulin--is central to the syndrome. And this is caused in large part by eating too much refined carbohydrates (sweets), and saturated fat as found in meats and animal products. Indeed, the cells become coated and engorged with dietary fat and become less responsive--and resistant--to insulin's efforts to escort glucose into the cells. Consequently, glucose (blood sugar) clutters up the bloodstream and can derail the health.

It indeed bears repeating. Insulin resistance is the chief symptom of adult-onset diabetes, which is running rampant in this country. Dr. Reaven uses the term "Syndrome X to describe how insulin-resistance likewise sets the stage for other serious diseases. The syndrome is characterized by 6 traits: insulin resistance, glucose intolerance, abnormally high insulin levels, high triglycerides, low high-density lipoproteins (the "good" cholesterol), and hyprtension--which can lead to heart disease.

What can you do about it? Simple! Eat right, lose weight and get adequate exercise. Indeed, for our health's sake we must follow the instructions given in the Spirit of Prophecy. And science has joined the Spirit of Prophecy in corroborating the principles Ellen White outlined over 100 years ago.  

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 11-15-2000).]