Author Topic: Cholesterol too low?  (Read 5658 times)

tami strand

• http://
Cholesterol too low?
« on: April 18, 2000, 05:18:00 PM »
I was just told  by my Dr. that my cholesterol of 120 is too low. Possibly could be at risk for certain strokes and cancer. Any info on this? What can I do to raise it without gaining weight?

Thanks,
Tami Strand

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Cholesterol too low?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2000, 07:12:00 PM »
Sister Tami, how are the rest of your values? Is your diet really good now? Is your doctor a knowledgable Seventh-day Adventist physician? Did he share any studies or give you some support for saying the 120 was too low? You don't need to answer these, just some thoughts for you.

If it is really a necessity to raise your cholestrol level, I would begin by eating a few olives at every meal and see if that helps. If you are eating a balanced healthful diet and getting exercise, congradulations!

One other question for your physician. What is a good chol. level for the average person? If he says anything over 150, I would do a little study on my own.

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

tami strand

Cholesterol too low?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2000, 09:49:00 PM »
Richard, thank you for your reply. You raised many good questions. Olives are a good idea, maybe nuts as well?
Just reading this evening on the internet about low cholesterol. I found a couple of interesting statistics. The American Heart Assoc, said people with cholesterol under 180 have double the risk for hemorragic stroke as those at 230. And another report from the Federal Governments National Cholesterol Education Program stated "The study calculated that the perfect cholesterol level at least for preventing strokes is about 200, and that cholesterol levels are much more complicated than once thought.
I cannot comment on the validity of this information, just thought I would share it with you to consider.

Tami

Gerry Buck

Cholesterol too low?
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2000, 03:58:00 AM »
The last time I had my cholesterol checked,it was around 98-102 and my doctor was not overly concerned.He did say it could be a little higher.
He said 120-150 was a good level.
Guess it depends on the doctor.  :)
I know I will study up on this myself.

------------------
He is LORD!
May He come soon.
Gerry

Examine me, O LORD, and prove me: try my reins and my heart.Ps.26:2
Gerry B.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Cholesterol too low?
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2000, 07:00:00 AM »
Sister Tami,  interesting.  My cholesterol is under 150 and from everything I understand that is what we want.  Each of us is different and it is dangerous to be narrow in these values, but there are ranges that are indicative of one's health or lack thereof.

Strict vegetarians that are walking in the light that we have been given will reveal a difference in lab values in some items from the average (in your case) American. The medical studies that have been done must be taken in the light of the truth we know. It is a difficult area and it is why God has given us faithful Seventh-day Adventist physicians and instructed us to build Loma Linda school of medical missionary evangelists to train doctors in both the sciences and the Word.

As we remember we are counseled to all become medical missionaries, the study you have begun will better fit you for that role. May I recommend some reading? Ministry of Healing, Diet and Foods, Medical Ministry and all of the Uchee Pines books, but most especially Home Remedies and Nutrition for Vegetarians. There are other good books, but I believe these two should be in every home.

In His love and grace,   Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

tami strand

Cholesterol too low?
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2000, 09:16:00 AM »
Thank you again Richard, I appreciate the suggested reading material. There is much to learn. God Bless,
Tami

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
    • http://www.drdugaldlewis.com
Cholesterol too low?
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2000, 07:04:00 AM »
Dear Tami,

As you have already realized, the conclusions on low cholesterol are not firm.

I think you are at an advantage over the high cholesterol people, but don't get too excited.

There is now good opportunity for you to
pay better attention to diet, eating more rounded meals etc. I assume you are a vegetarian and if so, there is little  need for concern.  I would be more concerned if you ate meat and had this value.

I think that Bro Richard's recommendations are good on this matter.

Sincerely
Dugald

Lauralea

Cholesterol too low?
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2000, 03:46:00 PM »
Hi Tami,
We are blessed, as everyone has said, with our health message. Vegetarians are a special category in some respects, so are lab values are somewhat different. However, it is good, as doctors at Loma Linda have found, to eat some nuts- maybe a few tablespoons a day. Avocadoes, soybeans, tofu, and soy milk also have good quality fats. They lower high cholesterol, but can provide fat to make enough cholesterol. If you are getting these regularly and feel fine, I wouldn't worry. If you never eat nuts or avocadoes, you may want to include some.

You said you didn't want to gain weight. I won't ask your weight on a forum, of course, but if you are very thin, maybe this could be part of what's up. The guideline for women is start with 100 pounds, then add 5 pounds for each inch over 5 feet. For instance, 5 feet 5 inches would be 125. This weight is fine, or you can subtract or add 5-10 percent and that is fine as well depending on frame size.
But if someone weighs below 10% less, (and some feel better if they only weigh 5% less) they may be a little underweight. In other words, someone who was 5 feet 5 inches and weighed 105 might do better a little heavier. Again, concentrated haelthy foods in moderation like nuts and seeds, avocadoes, and granola and dried fruit can help, along with good protein like beans and rice, or tofu.

If your weight appears normal and you get some nuts or other fat sources most days and feel fine, then I would guess it just comes with the territory. God bless,
Lauralea

Tim Luttrell

Cholesterol too low?
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2000, 04:00:00 PM »
This topic has peaked my interest right away. When I last had my cholesterol checked the LDL fell in the 50's range(I don't recall the exact figure.). I have been largely vegetarian most of my life and am a lacto-ovo(except aged cheeses) vegetarian now. The folks at Wildwood Hospital told me I should gain weight some time ago but that has proven extremely difficult. With this low a cholesterol level I wonder if I am at any abnormal risk.

Lauralea

Cholesterol too low?
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2000, 09:55:00 PM »
Hi Tim,
I used to be the nutritionist at Wildwood.   :) I don't suppose you remember what your total cholesterol was? That is a much higher figure than your LDL.
In any case, I have some suggestions to gain weight.
1. Buy health food store granola and eat about a cup for breakfast most days with soy milk. ALso have whole grain bread. Use dried fruit, nuts, and nut butter very frequently. Have smaller portions of salad- it has almost no calories. Olive oil is healthful and may be used on salad. It is tasty with a little lemon.
Have nutritious entrees like baens and rice, vegan burgers (a brand with no animal products) and buns, or the Amy's burritoes with no cheese.. Have more entree and bread and spread and less plain vegetables if you currently fill up on them.
If you have had digestive problems, use a vegetarian digestive enzyme with amylase, protease, and lipase, available in health food stores. I hope these ideas help.
Lauralea

[This message has been edited by Lauralea (edited 05-28-2000).]

Liane H

Cholesterol too low?
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2000, 06:10:00 PM »
Hi:

Most blood tests state between 130 to 200 is considered within the normal range.  Anything less than 180 is desirable, 180-199 borderline and 200+ is high risk.  

You should ask for a copy of your blood test. One should always keep records at home for many reasons.  

The readings should be determined by your ratio of HDL and LDL cholesterol.  There are some people who have over 200, but because there good cholesterol HDL was high and there bad cholesterol LDL was low, the ratio was within limits.  If your bad colesterol is under 130 and your good cholesterol is 40 or more that plays into the factor of risks.

Everytime the cholesterol is done they do this ratio factor.  That is what you need to look at.  

Before you make any changes in eating I would suggest you get a copy of your blood test, go over it with your doctor or get a second opinion.

Liane

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Laurie Mosher

• There is a place of quiet rest
Cholesterol too low?
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2000, 04:35:00 PM »
    Well, I'm going to add my "input" in this thread. In Canada, at least Nova Scotia, where I reside, the cholesterol is measured in  figures such as 13 HIGH, 6-7 AVERAGE, 3-4 LOW.

About 10 years ago, I was experiencing palpitations, and arrythmia. So I was referred to a Cardiologist. After having chest xrays, ECG (or EKG-depending where one lives in the world), and required blood "tests", Dr. Felderhof examined me, and said. "Well Laurie, you don't have to worry about heart disease. I've never seen one so low in my life." My cholesterol is 2.7.

That was quite a statement from the cardiologist, considering my father "dropped dead" from an MI at the age of 71. I guess we can control our heredity to some extent.

The reason I had the "funny symptoms" to begin with was because of drinking "flat" Coke to eliminate diarrhea (guess I had the flu). An Internist recommended that beverage when I lived in California 18 years ago.

Guess what caused the palpitations? What is the "common denominator" in most of the sodas sold? That's right! Caffeine. My body couldn't handle the stimulants. and even the cardiologist(not SDA) told me to stay clear of that stuff.

And yes, I am a VEGAN, as are all the members in our family.....my wife (Bev) being the expert nutitionist and Nurse (by profession) to us all.

And when I take my food to the hospital dining area, the regular dietician says, "Oh NO, Laurie has the best food again, and we have to endure the lovely aromas." Well, it also gives me an opportunity to share with my fellow-employees.
 God's Diet is still the BEST diet.
Keep "the" faith!
 Br. Laurie

[This message has been edited by Laurie Mosher (edited 06-02-2000).]

Keep "the" Faith,  Brother Laurie

Lauralea

Cholesterol too low?
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2000, 06:30:00 PM »
Oops-wrong thread.

[This message has been edited by Lauralea (edited 06-05-2000).]