Author Topic: Herbs  (Read 19285 times)

Suzanne

Herbs
« on: April 16, 2000, 03:47:00 PM »
Julian Whitaker, MD., reminds us that medicinal herbs are powerful therapeutic tools that have been in use for centuries. They have a firm record of efficacy and safety and have the potential to replace many of the prescription drugs currently used--drugs that are responsible for 100,000 deaths and over a million hospitalizations each year, even when used according to directions.

Many herbs have long histories as safe healers--in Asia, for example, angelica has long been used to treat arthritis. Several studies performed in Germany indicate echinacea's effectiveness in treating colds, and echinacea preparations have been approved as nonprescription medicines to treat upper respiratory and lower urinary tract infections by the German Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices.

St. John's wort is used to treat pains and diseases of the nervous system, including neuralgia, coccygeal pains, rheumatic and arthritic pains and injuries to the nerves. In controlled studies the hypericins relieved symptoms of anxiety and depression in women. --The Ways of Herbs, by Michael Tierra.

Our own Ellen White offers this info: "The true method of healing the sick is to tell them of the herbs that grow for the benefit of man...This is true science."  --MS. 105, 1898

"If every family were educated in how to use these herbs in case of sickness, much suffering might be prevented." --Letter 81, 1897

"Always study and teach the use of the simple remedies." --Letter 100, 1903

"Let them pray for the sick, ministering to their necessities with Nature's remedies teaching them how to regain health and avoid disease. " -9 Testimonies, p. 172

"God has caused to grow out of the ground, herbs for the use of man, and if we understand the nature of those roots and herbs, and make a right use of them, there would not be a necessity of running for the doctor so frequently, and people would be in much better health than they are today." --2 Selected Messages, pp. 297-298

Herbs have the magical quality of timelessness in our rapidly changing world. These multi-purpose gifts from nature are again coming into their own.

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 04-16-2000).]

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
    • http://www.drdugaldlewis.com
Re: Herbs
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2000, 07:18:00 PM »
Sear Sister Suzanne,

While I do agree that some herbs are beneficial, I must interject that the herbal "drug" industry is fraught with abuses, poor surveillance, toxic chemicals used in preparation, and fraud.

I wish that there were a better way fo acquiring these simple herbs spoken of by Sister White and that more governmental controls were in place to ensure that people are getting the right substances.

Do yo have any recommendations for acquiring the right herbal preparations?

Sincerely

Dugald

[This message has been edited by Dugald T Lewis MD (edited 04-16-2000).]

Suzanne

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2000, 09:49:00 AM »
Br. Dugald, for many years we have purchased our herbs in the bulk from a reliable dealer right here in our city. Yes, we find ourselves shying away from some preparations and mixtures. Here is where knowledge and education come in. We should thoroughly study the subject prayerfully and carefully  and then make educated choices.

"Back to Eden" by Jethro Kloss, continues to be our favorite book on the subject. It contains a wealth of info on every aspect of herbology. There are a host of other herb books available that can also be utilized.

Let us go to the Lord for guidance and direction as we strive for healthier bodies and minds.  

Gerry Buck

• http://
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2000, 03:12:00 PM »
As a sufferer of osteo-arthritis,congestive heart failure and obstructive apnea,I would be very interested in learning about this.
Where can a novice find out about the proper way of utilizing herbs?

------------------
He is LORD!
May He come soon.
Gerry

Examine me, O LORD, and prove me: try my reins and my heart.Ps.26:2
Gerry B.

Suzanne

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2000, 04:59:00 PM »
Br. Gerry:
 Again I have to recommend "Back to Eden" as the very best herb book you can find. The author, Jethro Kloss was an SDA and was greatly influenced by Ellen White. There are other books on herbs that are also available but this is indeed the best. Check out your health food store for a variety of valuable books.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2000, 08:02:00 PM »
Sister Suzanne, your information is timely considering the situation in medicine today. Now is the time for us to become educated in this area.  Ten or so years ago I asked Dr. Agatha Thrash why they were not educating in the use of herbs and she gave an honest answer that impressed me greatly. She said we cannot share what we don't know, but we are in the process of rectifying this. She gave me the name of a Christian man that was very knowledgable in herbal medicine.

Yes, Jethro Kloss' book is a good starting point, but we must remember it is not inspired so we must be careful and not use it as  we would the Spirit of Prophecy. There are multitudes of herbal books that are well done. I think Dr. Dugald's concern is very valid and we need basic information such as which plants are toxic in what quantities. Remember that the reason for using the herbs rather than drugs was because they were not toxic.  The concentrations of the remedial agents in herbs would not have side effects like drugs do.

There is a great need for Godly researchers to nail these things down. I don't have much confidence in the government to do it. They are more likely to regulate even safe herbs making them unlawful to grow. Then where would we be? Let all be aware that some "herbs" can cause illness and death. Our education begins with the light God has given us as a people. Each of us needs to know for ourselves what God has said in regards to this important subject. Whatever God has given, if it be clay, charcoal, or herbs we want to know that He has blessed it for our use. We need not stay ignorant of these blessings.

Thank you again for bring up the subject and thank you Dr. Dugald for bringing up the caution.  :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Lauralea

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2000, 07:32:00 AM »
I agree- this is such an important area, and yet we could wish there was more research in the area of safe and effective herbs. However, when one can reliably get herbs that are really the herb they are sold as, there are some publications that do have helpful information. I prefer to use those by PhD's such as Winston Craig, an SDA and a vegan who is the nutrition chair at Andrews. Douglas Mowery has some helpful work as well.

This situation is a complex one. The identical standards used to determine the safety and effectiveness of prescription drugs may not be necessary, since herbs are not drugs and some have been used for thousands of years, and yet research does need to be done.
The German Commision E did extensive research on herbs that is now being translated into English, but the translated material is quite expensive.

FOr those without a reliable bulk source of herbs who must used packaged ones, name brands are less likely to not be what they say they are. Some have a certification on the label as to their identity. I believe these are more reliable. Some also have standard amounts of active ingredients. GNC does this.

One herb I have used after researching it, to most beneficial effect, is Astralagus. I found that taking a little every day has helped me tremendously. My allergy symptoms were extreme, despite being a vegan. Allergic tendencies are, in addition to being lifestyle related, hereditary and may be worse where there is a lot of pollen.

Regarding CHF Without prescribing for anyone, I might mention that there are some things that have been researched in the medical literature and are on Medline. The main one is coenzyme Q10 which increased survivial and decreased hospital stay in heart attack survivors. It is often combined with the herb hawthorne berry because this herb has, per studies researched by Dr. Mowery, a known strengthening effect on the heart, and is also used in  at least one lifestyle center I am aware of for this condition. However, it would seem most prudent to actually become a patient at one of our lifestyle centers in order to be evaluated and put on the best program.
ANd yes, we are all still learning.
Laura

Arlene

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2000, 04:30:00 PM »
Hi all,
Have any of you ever heard Vero Tyler talk or read any of his books? He is a pharmist sp? with a PhD. He has made it his life goal to study and become an expert in this area. He tends to be very careful and conservative in his recommendations. He presented at the Food and Nutrition conference here in MI this winter. His main message was most preparations of herbs in this country are unreliable due to the lack of regulation and study. He said he buys all his herbs in Germany where they are regulated. He said the cocentration of active ingredients vary from plant to plant, time of day picked, etc. He has published two books on herbs. Tyler's Honest Herbal and another one.
Where is Winston Craig's book available from? I have had it recommended to me before.
Arlene
acampbel@tir.com
Ph number is 248-634-5313
Here is our church clerks e-mail ldovich@mich.com

Lauralea

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2000, 08:36:00 PM »
Hi Arlene,
Dr Craig's book I think you can order from the nutrition department at Andrews. He has more than one so you may want to call.
Formerly it was as Dr. Taylor said regarding eastablishing the identity of herbs, but some companies have been certifying thei herbs for years. Now, many of the larger better known companies certify their herbs. GNC uses fingerprinting, with chromatography that identifies the herb beyond doubt. They also have standardized herbs with certified levels of phytonutrients.

Certainly active ingredients do vary from plant to plant- but there are standardized formulas available here in the U.S.

I believe Jesus made the simple herbs, not to be a great burden that must be imported from afar off in all instances, but to help those who were ill in every country. I have been helped greatly by simple herbal remedies.
But uncertified herbs may not be as stated. Certainly our country can continue to progress on this issue.
Laura

[This message has been edited by Lauralea (edited 04-29-2000).]

Suzanne

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2000, 08:55:00 PM »
Herbal Primer for Doctors

The "Health Care Professionals' Guide to Commonly Used Herbs" (American Botanical Council in cooperation with the Texas Medical Association in Austin, 2000) offers doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dietitians a credit-earning course in botanical medicine.

The 120 page volume includes complete profiles of 27 popular herbs such as echinacea, cat's claw, kava kava and St. John's wort, as well as precise information on the dosing, side effects, and other info  on each herb.

"A unique feature of this book is that it charts all the clinical studies done on a particular herb and specifies the dosing, brand names and more" says Wayne Silverman, Ph.D., chief administrative officer of the nonprofit, educational American Botanical Council.  

Herbs are really a class of plant food and therefore are an extension of nutrition. Indeed, they are nature's gentle yet effective medicines...containing the wisdom of the ages.

Ask the Lord to lead, guide and direct as you explore this natural healing modality.  

Suzanne

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2000, 08:49:00 PM »
Expert Says Ginkgo Biloba May Also Help Fight Strokes.  

The herbal supplement ginkgo biloba, which is already being taken by millions of Americans as a possible memory enhancer, may also protect the brain against damage following a stroke researchers at the American Academy of Neurology's annual meeting in San Diego report.

Ginkgo is full of antioxidants--compounds that counteract free radicals--which is why many people take the supplement in an effort to help preserve brain function.  --Scripps Howard New Service

Won Bae

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2000, 12:45:00 PM »
The Reader's Digest, Oct. 2000 has an article warning about herbal extracts. Worth reading it.  So many SDAs are using herbal products this article deserves your attention. Some of the seemingly innocent herbs can give a havoc. If you take any tell your dentist at your next dental visit as some can interact with the local anesthetics.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2000, 10:16:00 PM »
Good point, Dr. Won.   Herbs are to a blessing for man, but there must be an intelligent understanding of how to use them. It is sad that our people have not done the work to bring this light to the world.  Some are busy at work and there is much in the world. Great caution should be excercised when taking herbs that are stronger than weak teas, that is concentrated herbs. Drugs are many times concentrated herbs. Think about it.

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Curt

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2000, 06:00:00 PM »
Won,
    this is true. God has placed Temperance into every plant when used in their natural form.  When they are made into easy to use or convenient forms we have a tendency to become intemperate in their use. "Let Food Be Your Medicine" and herbs as well as other simple remedies be uses appropriately for treatment of disease.

------------------
Maranatha

FAITH - As God's blessed sons & daughters we are to attempt the impossible to the extent that we will fail unless God steps in.   Keep the faith

Suzanne

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2000, 11:50:00 AM »
Brothers and sisters, herbs are a gift from the Lord and should be utilized more by our people as we involve ourselves in the true methods of healing.

Indeed Inspiration points out: "The true method of healing the sick is to tell them of the herbs that grow for the benefit of man." --MS:105, 1898.

Sr. White continues: "If every family were educated in how to use these herbs in case of sickness, much suffering might be prevented." --Letter 81, 1897. And in Letter 100, 1903, she admonishes us to "always study and teach the use of simple remedies."

The drug industry would have us believe that herbal remedies are untested and therefore "dangerous," but herbs have been used for centuries. And many of them have been rigorously tested in other countries. Indeed the German Commission E, similar to our Food and Drug Administration, has done extensive research on many of the most common herbs and found them safe and efficacious when used as directed. It's instructive to note that in Germany herbal science is state of the art and natural remedies are taught in medical school.

Let's take a closer look at herbs as a viable healing modality.

* Herbs, which are in tune with our biological make-up, were part of the first system of healing that the world has ever known...yes, even from Bible times. They contain great healing benefits and are really a class of foods and therefore an extension of nutrition.

* The World Health Organization informs us that 80 percent of the more than 6 billion world population rely on herbal medicines. 30 to 50 percent of all medical doctors in France and Germany rely exclusively on herbal preparations as their primary medicines.

* Andrew Weil, MD., who teaches at the Univ. of Arizona Medical School and is the author of "Spontaneous Healing," has prescribed herbs for everything from asthma to immune deficiency and has never seen plants cause serious side effects. He says he prescribes forty times more botanical and herbal medicines than synthetic drugs.

* The herbal medicine chest has a centuries old history of effectiveness and solid scientific research confirms their traditional use. Indeed, respected herbal practitioners around the world recommend them to their patients...Varro E. Tyler, PhD, ScD, America's foremost expert on herbs and plant derived medicine, and dean emeritus of the Purdue Univ. School of Pharmacy and Pharmacal sciences, points out that herbs are part of the antioxidant army so crucial for good health. Indeed, in many cases they are as much as 50 times more powerful than the antioxidant vitamins.

* Herbs (plants), work by assisting the body's normal self-healing mechanism...Drugs work by suppressing symptoms. Herbs are the new focus of reputable experts and labs across the country. From Rockefeller Univ. to the National Institute of Health, studies are underway looking into the benefits of these healing wonders.

* For every drug there is an herbal alternative.

* A major "pain" that herbs can prevent: regular doctors' visits.

* "Time" the weekly news magazine pointed out that in 1998 sixty million Americans took herbal supplements, spending nearly $5 billion.

* Lynn Walker, PhD., writing in "Nature's Pharmacy, points out that herbs are nature's gentle yet effective medicines. Many medical drugs are developed by isolating or imitating plant ingredients. But only the whole herb contains nature's wisdom and safety.

Important Note: Ask the Lord for wisdom and guidance as you utilize the healing power of herbs. And study, study, study--this subject is indeed worthy of our time and concern as we explore God's method of healing.

Good health to all
Sr. Suzanne

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2000, 08:02:00 AM »
Amen, Sister Suzanne!  :)  What a blessing to have counsel from on high! Those that have never considered that God has provided for remedies through simple herbs are missing out .

Having said this, I want to return to Dr. Won's caution. We must be intelligent in our use of plants. Won said "extracts". If the herb has been concentrated, be careful. You could injure yourself or someone else. There does not need to be a concentration of a plant to kill. We all know some plant are deadly. So, we again caution that there must be an intelligent use of plants as medicine. And, again look at what Won said, tell your dentist that you are taking an herb because it can interact with drugs.  Same goes for the doctor, let him know too.

Did everyone like Sister Suzanne's comment about aleviating the "pain" of regular doctor's visits? It is true if the use of the herbs is combined with diet and exercise and trust in divine power.  :)

Richard

Suzanne

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2000, 02:31:00 PM »
Brothers and sisters, herbs have been used as healing agents since the beginning of time by every race upon the earth. Indeed, every culture has had some knowledge of herbs. These plant remedies represent the most continuous and universal form of treatment for man's ills.

The practice of using herbs in health care sprang back to life in the U.S. so suddenly and dramatically in the late'60's and early '70's that the decades since have been seen as an "herbal renaissance."

Drugs act upon the vital forces in a manner similar to whipping a tired horse, whereas herbs are in tune with bodily processes and work along with it in building, repairing and vitalizing in a more gentle fashion.

Isadore Rosenfeld, MD., writing in the May 31, 1998 issue of "Parade" magazine: "A Doctor's Guide to Herbs," points out that "Times have changed. Establishment doctors like myself are taking a fresh look at herbal medicines--largely because of patient pressure. People are turning to a 'natural' approach because of their interest in prevention (not a strong suit of traditional medicne) and to find relief from a host of degenerative diseases, ranging from Alzheimer's to arthritis, for which there is currently no cure. In addition, herbal medicine is now the subject of serious research not only abroad but also in America."

Dr. Rosenfield list the following herbs as those he uses in his own practice: echinacia, helps alleviate the symptoms of colds; St. John's wort, treats mild depression; feverfew, prevents migraine headaches; saw palmetto, helps men with benign enlargement of the prostate; ginkgo biloba, used to treat memory loss; ginger, prevents motion sickness and nausea; garlic, lowers cholesterol; ginseng, increases energy; valerian, a safe, mild sleeping aid; milk thistle, for hepatitis and other liver disorders; and peppermint, a digestive aid.

Dr. Rosenfield issues certain cautions and says that these herbs should be avoided: comfrey, chaparral, jin bu haun, germander, pennyroyal and pokeroot, as all can hurt the liver. Ephedra (ma huang) can raise heart rate and blood pressure and should likewise be avoided.

(I have also read elsewhere that certain Chinese herbs should be used with extreme caution or not at all). Any use of herbs should be preceded by learning as much as possible about them. Here is where detective work comes in.

And there are various herbal books that give much info on the subject. My favorite is "Back to Eden" by Jethro Kloss. Varro E. Tyler, PhD, ScD, America's foremost expert on herbs and plant derived medicine, lists these herbal books as quite helpful: "101 Medicinal Herbs," by Steven Foster; "The People's Pharmacy Guide to Home and Herbal Remedies," by Joe Graedon and Teresa Graedon, PhD; "The Encyclopedia of Popular Herbs," by Rob McCaleb, Evelyn Leigh, and Krista Morien; "The Doctors Book of Herbal Home Remedies" by the editors of Prevention Health Books; "Tyler's Honest Herbal," 4th ed., and "Herbal Medicine" Expanded Commission E Monographs (Integrative Medicine Communications, 2000), edited by Mark Blumenthal, Alicia Goldberg, and Josef Brinckmann.

The use of herbs for health is obviously for the thinking man or women who takes the time to prayerfully and carefully study up on the subject. They are part of a total program that includes the 8-laws of health as outlined in the Bible and Spirit of Prophecy.

Your health is YOUR responsibility,  

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 10-19-2000).]

Curt

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2000, 09:24:00 PM »
There are increasingly more and more books on the beneficial uses of herbs. e.g. "Scientific Validation of Herbal Remedies" (I think that's the name)also "The Healing Power of Herbs" by Murray covers the chemical and pharmacological aspects of each herb studied and provides the supporting results of tests performed.

In MH pg 127 SOP provides us a paragraph I summarize as having four principles to follow in case of sickness (restoration):

In case of sickness ....

1 - the cause should be ascertained. (What has caused the illness)
2 - Unhealthful conditions should be changed,  (change the conditions, environment, etc. that brought on the problem)
3 - wrong habits corrected. (habits are things we do repeatedly that are right or wrong)
4 - Then nature is to be assisted in her effort to expel impurities and to re-establish right conditions in the system.

The 8 laws of health, Herbs, natural treatments(Hydrotherapy, poultices, clay/charcoal, etc.), surgery fall into the last catagory. Education and willingness/effort to make changes are first.

These are the SOP guiding principles of restoration. Used appropriately (this is what we are saying) Herbs are a blessing to man.

Hope this helps the discussion.

------------------
Maranatha

[This message has been edited by Curt (edited 10-18-2000).]

FAITH - As God's blessed sons & daughters we are to attempt the impossible to the extent that we will fail unless God steps in.   Keep the faith

Curt

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2001, 04:51:00 PM »
Reviving this thread from the archive.

A little talked about remedy used for absorbing toxic substances and passing it out of the body is Charcoal. In my home country Doctors used it successfullly many times in cases of self poisoning by persons taking Gramoxone (potent weed killer) to commit suicide. Except for the burning of the lining caused by the Gramoxone the toxic substance was absorbed and passed out of the body normally. Good to use at the first signs of upset stomach, diarrhea, flu and sore throat. A tea spoon mixed in a glass of water does wonders at the first signs of a sore throat. Here is an article posted on an online Health News service this week.

Charcoal Vs.  Poisoning
Parents may want to stock some activated charcoal alongside ipecac in case of accidental poisonings.  That's the recommendation from a study in the journal Pediatrics, which concluded that in-home administering of activated charcoal --
which binds to many substances and keeps them from being absorbed into the bloodstream -- could help avoid trips to the hospital.
In the study, researchers looked at 138 cases of accidental poisoning in the state of Kentucky.  They found that in 115 of
these cases, caregivers who were given instructions on how to use activated charcoal after a child ingested a poisonous substance were able to successfully begin the treatment at home.  In the remaining 23 cases, parents did not have access to activated charcoal and the kids required evaluation in the emergency room, The Associated Press reports.  The researchers suggest that parents and pediatricians make activated charcoal and clear instructions about how its use part of a home safety program, the AP says.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2004, 01:49:00 PM »
The following posts were moved from a duplicate topic.

Deb                 posted 01-24-2004      08:27 AM      

What about herbs for health? Are there some who are okay and some that are not okay?

The FDA just banned ephedra from the market but I don't think this is a bad herb unless you use it badly. I believe those who had problems with it took it in large quantities or used it with caffeine.

But what does everyone on here think? Should we as christians have good teas and herbs on hand to help ourfamilies with their ailments? Since we don't want to use traditional drugs, what about herbs?

Won Bae              posted 01-24-2004 10:53 AM      

I think ephedra is similar to ephedrin which is a central nervous system stimulant. Long before FDA banned this substance, there were/are many innocent sda's are involved selling and taking so called health food/supplement. I sternly warned my married daughter who bought this ephedra from her sda friends who was selling this drug(I consider it drug) not to take this substance. Surely, there are many good herbs, but not all herbs are good, in fact  many are harmful to you. Just because it sounds "herbal" does not mean it is good or safe to use. I am glad to see our government finally got into ephedra. There are a lot more useless or harmful herbs people are buying wasting a  lot of money. If one takes proper nutrition one does not need to take food supplements. In fact, these food supplements people take do not do any good, just waste of money. Go for proper diet which consists of variety of  fruits and nuts and grains.

Won