Author Topic: Bioengineered Foods (GMO)  (Read 66116 times)

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
    • http://www.drdugaldlewis.com
Bioengineered Foods (GMO)
« on: March 28, 2000, 01:55:00 PM »
Dear Suzanne,

I am addressing this to you as you mentioned this issue in the other thread on soy products.

While you look into the carcinogenic potential of bioengineered soy products, can you give us some guidleines on avoiding foods that have been tampered with genetically.

It is logical to surmise that genetically manipulated food can be potentially carcinogenic or otherwise harmful. I haven't done any extensive search for credible research performed in that area.

I believe our members would appreciate any information that you can provide us with on the matter of bioengineered food.

Sincerely

Dugald

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Bioengineered Foods (GMO)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2000, 07:53:00 PM »
While we are waiting for Sister Suzanne to share what she has, let me mention two of the most widely known foods that cause concern. The "gene bean" as it has come to be known is a soy bean that has been engineered to tolerate higher levels of the herbicide, Roundup, which means higer levels of Roundup in soy products as I understand it.

The other is a corn that has been engineered to produce its own natural pesticide.

There are many others on the market, but these are the two that I am aware of that cause great concern. I believe that Europe has taken action against one or both being imported.

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Suzanne

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2000, 08:30:00 PM »
Dr. Lewis and others interested in genetically altered food:

An article entitled "Genetically Altered Food: Myths and Realities," by Rick Charnes,  appeared in the Winter 2000 issue of "Earth Save." Here are some of the points that were made.

A worldwide alarm about the safety of bioengineered food has reached a monumental pitch...Approximately 50% of all the soy and 38% of the corn acreage planted in the U.S. this year is genetically altered, yet it is entering the market unlabeled. Much of the canola oil on the U.S. market is from gene-spliced plants. Given the prevalence of these products in processed foods, unless you are eating only organically grown food you are likely already consuming some genetically altered food.

Various foodstuffs are being spliced with genes from viruses, bacteria and other organisms...Biotech firms contend that these genetic modifications should reduce the number of chemicals applied externally. However, indications are that farmers using these crops apply as much or more chemicals as before.

Genetic alteration is a form of plant breeding radically different from anything previously practiced. Genes from one species are being synthetically inserted into a totally different species. To accomplish this the species barriers of the recipient plant must be broken down. A virus, acting as a 'vector' to overcome the plant's normal protective mechanism, typically is used to insert the foreign genes.

HEALTH RISK: When the composition of the plant genome--the genetic structure of an organism--is altered, new proteins are introduced into the food chain. We are now consuming products never before considered foodstuffs, with great potential for unpredictable toxic or allergic reactions.

One known health disaster regarding genetically altered food has been reported. In 1989 the Japanese company Showa Denko marketed a GA (genetically altered) version of the supplement L-tryptophan. It's release resulted in an estimated 5,000 people suffering from an outbreak of Eosinophilia Myalgia Syndrome (EMS). It was initially reported that 37 people died, and 1,500 were left with permanent disabilities.

Early last year, the British press reported that GA potatoes spliced with DNA from the snowdrop plant and the Cauliflower Mosaic Virus (CaMv)--a commonly used viral 'promoter'--are poisonous to mammals. When fed to rats, these GA potatoes, found to be significantly different in chemical composition from regular potatoes, caused reduction in the weight of many organs, impairment of immunological responsiveness and signs suggesting viral infection.

A study by Dr. Marc Lappe found that concentrations of beneficial phytoestrogen compounds--thought to protect against heart disease and cancer--were 12% to 14% lower in geneticallyi modified soybeans than in traditional strains. (We vegetarians, well aware of the importance of soy in vegetarian products should be concerned how serious a threat this poses to the health of our plant-based diet).

...Cornell University scientists reported that 44% of monarch butterfly larvae died within 4 days when fed milkweed dusted with pollen from GA corn. British researchers found that beneficial insects such as ladybugs and lacewings are damaged by feeding on GA crops, which are supposed to affect only 'target' insect predators. Studies are in process to determine possible deleterious effects on the rest of the food chain, as birds and other wildlife feed on insects that have consumed GA crops.

Note: I have to go over my files for more info on how various animal genes are being spliced into various plants. This should be of special concern to vegetarians...More later.  

Sr. Suzanne    

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2000, 06:58:00 PM »
Dear Suzanne,

Thanks for this very valuable information.
Do we have information on the cholesterol content of foods bioengineered with animal genes?

Sincerley

Dugald

Suzanne

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2000, 09:20:00 PM »
More on Genetically Altered Foods

Adapted from an article that appeared in the April 11, 2000 Riverside, Calif. Press-Enterpirse. "Questioning Safety of the Transgenic Crops"

* 60% of the processed food now on the American market contains ingredients that have been genetically engineered.

* There has been little testing to determine if these foods are safe, and no labels to guide us.

* It is uncertain whether the proteins made by genes inserted into plants could cause serious allergic reactions. A case in point is the Brazil nut gene that scientists put into soybeans to increase protein. When the never-marketed hybrid was tested in 1996, human antibodies reacted to the nut gene, a sign the product could be allergenic.

* Martin Teitel, executive director of the Council for Responsible Genetics, a Cambridge-based watchdog group points out that "bioengineering could produce novel protein combinations that the human body has never seen before."

* Another area of concern in that genetically altered foods may have different nutrient value than standard foods. Genetically altered soybeans may have fewer phytoestrogens than normal, which matters because many consumers eat soybeans precisely to get the hormonlike effects of plant estrogens.

* The antibiotic concern: Bioengineers use antibiotic-resistant genes as markers to tract where the genes they put into plants go. The concern is that eating genetically altered food could allow these genes to pass into bacteria in the human digestive system, making people resistant to potentially life-saving antibiotics.

* The bottom line: Consumers have a right to demand labels so they know what they are eating. As it stands now if you want to avoid genetically altered foods, the only way to do so with certainty is to buy foods labeled "organic." The U.S. Dept. of Agriculture recently developed new labeling standards to clarify what "organic" means. Among other things, the new standards prohibit organic labeling on any foods produced with genetic engineering.

Where to go for more information:

* www.ucsusa.org (Union of Concerned Scientists)
* www.gene-watch.org (Council for Responsible Genetics)
* www.biointegrity.org (Alliance for bio-Integrity)

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 04-12-2000).]

Dugald T Lewis MD

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2000, 07:48:00 PM »
Dear Suzanne,

Great information that you have taken the time to research.

Did you see anything about a relationship between the increasing incidence of peanut butter allergies and bioengineering?

Sincerly
Dugald

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2000, 09:05:00 PM »
Dr. Dugald, just an aside with the peanut butter. Ellen White instructed us to eat nut and seeds sparingly and that peanuts, while alright to eat should be eaten in small quantities.

Two factors we know that can create problems. One, eating too many and when we make butter it can lead to a larger consumption of peanuts. Two, when the nut is made into butter the free fat is exposed to oxygen thus there is a great increase in the free radical production. There is one other consideration and I have not discussed it for many years, but there is a real problem with a mold in the peanut. Research has indicated it is highly carcinogenic.

A little of topic, but maybe a better answer to your question as to why so much food allergy to peanut butter. I would anticipate this without bioengineering.

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Gary K

• http://
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2000, 07:39:00 AM »
Hi all,

Just as a tidbit here. I asked my local produce man where we buy our supplements and a lot of our produce from about genetically engineered foods and if he carries them.

He was wondering how many times the government and science will try to kill us with what we eat while we were talking about this.

He told me that he is against them himself and will not carry them. Also that the wholesalers are marking them very strictly for they do not want to be caught in the legal and emotional backlash if something more does come from this as far as people getting sick.

Your brother in Christ, Gary

Gerry Buck

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2000, 03:21:00 PM »
Maybe this explains the sudden rise in sickness and infection in the US.
All this messing with what God has made is bound to have a deliterious(sp?) effect on all human kind.

------------------
He is LORD!
May He come soon.
Gerry

Examine me, O LORD, and prove me: try my reins and my heart.Ps.26:2
Gerry B.

Suzanne

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2000, 10:28:00 AM »
Discussion on peanuts:

David Steinman, writing in "Diet For a Poisoned Planet," points out that aflatoxin, a naturally occurring carcinogenic mold, can grow on peanuts (and other nuts and seeds as well, but occurs most often on peanuts).

Patricia Hausman and Judith Benn Hurley, writing in "The Healing Foods," say this mold can grow on improperly stored nuts, grains and and seeds. Other research assures us that U.S. batches of peanuts must be assayed for aflatoxin before they are sold to processors.

Jean Carper, writing in "The Food Pharmacy,"
points out that animals fed aflatoxin had fewer cancerous changes in cells and fewer tumors when fed cabbage and its cousins (cauliflower broccoli, Brussel sprouts, etc.--the cruciferous vegetables). Indeed, vegetables are becoming well-known as supplying and maintaining biological barriers to cancer development.

Bioflavonoids, as found in citrus fruits, apricots, cherries, grapes, prunes and rose hips, defend test animals against this mold. --Let's Live, July 1988.

Where can we get healthful peanuts? Look for organic brands that are sun-dried in the field to prevent aflatoxin growth. Arrowhead Mills, in Hereford Texas (has a mail-order business),offers organic peanut butter, made with peanuts dried this way. (Available at health food stores).

Ellen White offers this info: "Almonds are preferable to peanuts, but peanuts in limited quantities, used in connection with grains, are nourishing and digestible." --The Ministry of Healing, p. 298  

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Sutton (edited 04-19-2000).]

Suzanne

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2000, 09:51:00 PM »
More info on bioengineered food:

The European Union will keep its de facto moratorium on the approval of genetically modified crops in place at least for a further six months.  --Brussels, March 9, 2000, (Reuters)

Kellogg Co. shareholders overwhelmingly rejected a proposal to force the cereal maker to stop using genetically altered crops, despite claims from 2 groups that the crops are unsafe and put the company at risk for lawsuits.

Kellogg is in the process of removing genetically altered ingredients from its products in Europe and Australia where there has been increasing consumer backlash over the safety of genetically altered crops. But the company has declined to do the same in North America, citing a lack of consumer interest and insufficient scientific evidence.

Greenpeace activists who want Kellogg to adopt a commitment not to use genetically altered products have picketed the company twice in the past 6 month.

Kellogg is not alone in facing biotech critics. A number of other food and beverage companies are being targeted with similar anti-biotech proposals, including General Mills, Quaker Oats and Sara Lee. Coca Cola's shareholders rejected a similar proposal last week. --Riverside, Calif. Press-Enterprise, April 29, 2000  

Liane H

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2000, 06:47:00 PM »
Hello everyone:

I just got my e-mail from Kellogg regarding the use of biotechnology genetical engineering of foods that are under the lable of Morningstar Farms, Worthington, Natural Touch and Loma Linda products.

You all know that Kellogg has taken over these companies.  Well, anyway there answer to me was "We are in the final stages of our conversion to non-genetically modified proteins in all Morningstar Farms, Worthington, Natural Toch and Loma Linda products."

So you can be sure that these products at this time appear to be geneically engineered.

The problem is we just don't know what foods we buy that have been altered. I read someplace that just because it says organic is not proof that the crop has not been genetically engineered. It depends on where the food was grown.  This could have been going on without us knowing it for years.  I know one organization on the internet was warning people about this five years ago (I just got on the internet).

I did not even know that they were doing this to our food until two months ago.  The public is not very aware.  Just when I become a total vegetarian this has to happen.

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Lauralea

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2000, 06:34:00 PM »
Dear Liane: I couldn't reach your email with your request for some reason, so I am posting here.

There has been a reaction by consumer advocates and some major companies, such as Gerber, are saying they will no longer accept
genetically modified foods. Almost all companies have toll free numbers
or email addresses on their labels- you could call. Many health food companies refuse to use the genetically modified products and even put it on their labels. So
in the health food store some will say they are not and you can call regarding the others. I would not stop using soy on this account.

God bless,
Laura

JERE

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2000, 10:05:00 PM »
HI,
A great thread! G.M.O.'s in are food supply can only prove to be bad, besides threating old-heirloom varieties of plants, butterflies, etc!  We need to all speak out on this issue! a good web site to find more info about gene-altered food is greenpeaceusa.org and greenpeace.org
I was on a Talk Show today, and was happy to see the responce,   much of Europe labels GMO's we need ours labeled too!

JERE

JERE

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2000, 08:44:00 PM »
If you've seen the recent cover article in Time Magazine (July 31 issue)
about gmo's, or heard the news about the Genetically Engineered Food
Action (GEFA) Coalition, you can tell that the gmo issue is heating up
here in America, Just Check it out!

Liane H

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2000, 07:13:00 PM »
Hi Lauralea:

I am going through some problems with the e-mail system.  I was on what was called "freeweb", well they closed down and transferred me over to Juno.  I have put my new e-mail address in, so perhaps you can try again.  You may still get freeweb, I think I have to delete it off my computer, but do not know how to do it.

Well to get you updated, since I have learned a great deal about GMO.  I did find a company that you can buy soy products from and they are called Dixie Diner Club and anyone can order from them. I found them after I stopped buying Worthington's products such as Morningstar Farms, Loma Linda, Natural Touch, becuase they would not stop using GMO soybeans.  

Well I have noticed that they have been cutting their prices down each time I go to the store, so I thought about writing them again.  

Now they have informed me and this is the quote from the e-mail they sent me on 8/23/00:

"We recognize that consumers of Worthington Foods products may prefer that such products not include ingreients produced through biotechnology.  We are in the final stages of our conversion to non-genetically modified proteins in all Morningstar Farms, Worthington, Natural Touch and Loma Linda products."

When I found out that Kellogg who now owns our SDA producers above, was sending non GMO products to England and Australia because they would not allow GMO products into their countries, why would they not do it for SDA's.  

I sent a letter to our local conference president and he forwarded my letter to every pastor along with his newletter for to notify their congretations of the situation.  

But we have to help SDA's realize that they are no longer supporting SDA products, that they are not owned by SDA anymore, but Kellogg.  

Dixie Diner Club has many great products and I use many of them.  Also many local health food stores such as Wild Oats, Trader Joe's, etc are making those changes as well.

When I learned that a lady who was allergic to Brazel nuts ate walnuts and died, they found out that the walnuts had been genetically planted the brazel nuts gene.

It made me do a lot of thinking. I find it so sad as I tell people about this, they think I am crazy.  They never have heard of GMO and do not have the foggiest idea what is happening to our foods.

In this country we are suppose to be the most informed people in the world and we can't even keep up because things are changing so fast before our very eyes.

I pray that God will light the world with His Glory and minds would be awaken the the truths that are waiting for them to hear and see.  What wonderful things God has for them, if they would just take the time to look up and listen and see for themselves.

God is trying to prepare us for what is to come and it is already happening.  Before we know it, it will come to pass and will we be ready.

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2000, 07:20:00 AM »
Thanks for the update, Sister Liane.  :)

One more evidence that Jesus is coming, soon. Will we be ready?  

In His love and grace,    Richard

Suzanne

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2000, 03:39:00 PM »
Adapted from the Los Angeles Times, Sept. 23, 2000:

TACO BELL RECALLS SHELLS THAT USED BIOENGINEERED CORN

Taco Bell brand taco shell have been pulled from supermarket shelves after tests confirmed the presence of genetically engineered corn not approved for human consumption. The corn, containing a pest-repelling protein, is approved for use only in animal feed because of questions about whether it can cause allergic reactions in people.  

How the animal feed corn got mixed in with corn for human consumption is not clear, but underlies the difficulty food manufactures have in ensuring that their processed products are free of genetically altered ingredients. Biologically altered corn and soy are not segregated at most grain elevators, allowing such corn to slip into other products.

Analysts point out that this case illustrates how unprepared government regulators are to deal with unapproved bioengineered crops that find their way into the food supply.

The presence of the animal-feed corn in the taco shells was first reported by the environmental group Friends of the Earth, which had the shells tested by an independent lab. Friends of the Earth, a member of the coalition known as Genetically Engineered Food Alert, commissioned the tests because of concerns that the corn in question was not being segregated from other corn at grain elevators.

Another concern has surfaced according to a study published in the September issue of the journal "Science." Here British researchers suggest that a new biotech crop engineered to kill weeds could starve the skylark; the tuneful bird, beloved in English poetry, which eats mainly weed seeds.

The Taco Bell recall is indeed a setback to the biotechnology industyr, which has been battling critics who claim the crops are a threat to human health and the environment. In Britain, the crops have been denounced as "Frankenfood," but unfortunately criticism  in the U.S. has been muted. Here companies have been spending millions of dollars on a pro-biotech advertising campaign.

Liane H

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2000, 05:58:00 PM »
Tell me about it. The last time I ate corn shells for taco's I got sick.

Now I know why

Liane

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2000, 06:37:00 PM »
Sister Liane, I think it was only the super market shells that were bad.  It may be that the reason you got sick from Taco Bell was from other problems. We could open that can of worms if any would like to.  Not too long ago there was a national news story on an incident at one of their stores.

Richard