Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Herbs
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2004, 02:58:00 PM »
Herb

According to Webster's

1 : a seed-producing annual, biennial, or perennial that does not develop persistent woody tissue but dies down at the end of a   growing season

2 : a plant or plant part valued for its medicinal, savory, or aromatic qualities

While "some" herbs promote healing and were given for us to use, there needs to be study before one ingests an "herb". Some plants will kill even in small quantities.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Curt

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2004, 11:28:00 AM »
HERBS - DESIGNER FOOD

The herb was always a part of man's intended diet

Before Sin :
Gen 1:29 Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed, to you it shall be for meat.

After Sin :
Gen 3:18  ..... and thou shalt eat the herb of the field.

It was alsa a part of God's plan of restoration for man highlighted by recent scientific and clinical findings as well as information given to us, the light from Spirit of Prophecy.

“There are simple herbs and roots that every family may use for themselves, and need not call in a physician any sooner than they would call a lawyer.”  C-17a-1893

“When the lord told Hezekiah that he would spare his life for fifteen years, and as a sign that He would fulfill His promise, caused the sun to go back ten degrees, why did He not put His direct, restoring power upon the King? He told him to apply a bunch of figs to his sore, and that natural remedy, blessed by God, healed him. The God of nature directs the human agent to use natural remedies now.” MS W-182, 1999

[This message has been edited by Curt (edited 02-28-2004).]

FAITH - As God's blessed sons & daughters we are to attempt the impossible to the extent that we will fail unless God steps in.   Keep the faith

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2004, 12:49:00 PM »
Suzanne: "Herbs have been used since the begining of time."
Curt: "The herb was always a part of man's intended diet."

HERBS ARE GOD'S MEDICINE!
I have many herb books, and have used herbs for many years.  My favorite medical book was sent to me by the late Dr. Charles Thomas, "The Divine Philosophy  and Science of Health and Healing" by Gunther Paulien.

Most any kind of disease or sickness can be treated with diet and herbs. The term "herb" or "herbs" was used 37 times in the Bible.  Let us use some examples.

Herbs of the Bible:
BALM OF GILEAD: It reduces congestion, fever, inflammation and pain.  Also disorders of the lungs, such as coughs. Used for stomach and kidney problems. Also used as an ointment for pain of arthritis, gout, and muscle soreness.

HYSSOP: Used as a poultice for bruises and burns, and an infusion for colds, bronchitis, indigestion, and even epileptic seizures.

SPIKENARD: It is an excellent blood purifier, good for all skin dieseases, pimples, coughs and all chest afflictions.

COMMON HERBS USED TODAY:
ALFALFA: A body cleanser, infection fighter.

ALOE VERA:  "Nature's Miracle" For skin irritations, Candida,  Diabetes (reduces blood sugar)  I drink it with fruit juice.

CHAMOMILE: A soothing sedative, stomach trouble, anti-bacterial, anti tumor, colitis, anti-cancer, Candida and more.

ECHINACEA: Anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, BEST blood purifier, snake bites, tumors...

To be continued....

I do not understand ICQ, cookies, UBB, HTML, homepage???

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2004, 07:45:00 AM »
COMMON HERBS USED TODAY

DANDELION:Is a weed, a very effective medicine for many purposes: Liver diseases, as cirrhosis, Toxicity. the leaves are also an effective Diuretic. Promotes a healthy circulation. Best for building the blood.

GINGER: An excellent herb for the respiratory system and good for fighting colds, and flu. Very effective as cleansing agent for the Bowels, kidneys,reduces pain. Relieves gas. No harmful side effects.

GINKGO BILOBA; One of the oldest trees in the world.For kidney infection, Alheimer's  stroke and heart attacks, improves memory.

GOLDENSEAL: One of the Best herbs. Fungi, Staph, E.Coli, Salmonella, stress, anxiety, nervousness,  indigestion and many  more.

HAWTHORNE:  Excellent for congestive heart failure, strokes, cholesterol, angina.

KELP:Besides its iodine content, kelp is known today for its use as a protector from radiation, heart disease, and toxic heavy metals. It helps to prevent breast cancer  

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2004, 06:10:00 AM »
None of the following herbs mentioned here are threatful in any way....(Later, I will give you those you must be cautious of).

OTHER SEAWEEDS: Are used as both food and medicine. The Japanese refer to them as "Heaven Grass". Very rich in  minerals and vitamins, especially zinc. Used for cancer, luekemia, diabetes, atherosclerosis.

BACK TO EDEN-by Jethro Kloss
   If you don't have this book I suggest you buy it and place it with the health writings of EGW.  Jethro followed her writings and became an herbalist.  He said that God has provided a remedy for every disease that might afflict us.  

"No matter how many germs get into the body, if the blood stream is clean and the blood corpuscles are in a healthy condition, you will be safe....these organism's will not harm you or cause you sickness and death unless they have a place in which to propagate themselves." (p.11)

OTHER SAFE HERBS TO BE USED:

Peppermint for nerves, Sage purifies the liver, Sarsaparilla is a strong safe diuretic, Sassafras for the bladder and kidney, Slippery Elm neutralizes stomach acidity, Willow Bark for arthritis,angina.

Ellen White used Red Clover as tea. "A cup of Catnip tea will quiet the nerves, Hop tea will induce sleep....When the head is congested use Mustart...." there are many more simple remedies which will do much to restore healthful action of the body...." (2SM297)

Curt

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2004, 01:31:00 AM »
Sis. Ele. You said you had received a book from the now late Dr Charles Thomas. Did Dr Charles Thomas of Desert Springs Center pass away????
FAITH - As God's blessed sons & daughters we are to attempt the impossible to the extent that we will fail unless God steps in.   Keep the faith

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2004, 04:30:00 AM »
Dear Curt,   I read your quote when you mentioned his name a while back and I was going to tell you then.  Yes.  I was inquiring about coming to his Desert Springs Therapy Center, and he wrote back giving me all the info, and then I received a note from his wife about his death.  I will look up the date and info and get back to you.  He sure knew God's way to health.  I followed him for years. She is carrying on at the Center in Desert Hot Springs.  Again I say, We have so many questions, but only He, our God, has the answers.

Curt

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2004, 10:59:00 AM »
Ele,

wow, I did not know. I kept in touch with him for a while, we had him at our church in Canada, a very good Medical Missionary and Beverley and I attended one of his courses at Andrews University in 2000. An excellent Physical Therapist.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2004, 04:05:00 PM »
MEDICINAL TREES = The mighty miracle- working power of God.

"When I see the flowers, and study the herbs, roots, bark, and leaves of the trees and see the wonderful medicinal properties they contain, and the marvelous benefits that are given, I feel that the word, wonderful is inadequate to express the real truth. It surely is the mighty miracle-working power of God...."

Jethro Kloss writes in his book "Back to Eden"   "As I go out into the woods and see the lofty trees, I feel like taking my hat off in reverence to God...."

The following are a list of trees that are valuable for medicine:

APPLE TREE (The King of Fruits) Tea made from the bark is an old fashioned remedy. It has been used to help digestion, neasea, liver, spleen, kidneys, boils, insect bites.

BIRCH (Inner bark and small twigs) Used for bowel problems, rhumatism, gout, and to expel worms. Taken as a tea will purify the blood, excellent results with boils, sores.

CHESTNUT TREE (Inner bark and leaves)  Use the leaves for severe coughing,and other irritations in the respiratory tract.

EUCALYPTUS (Leaves and bark) This wonderful tree from which eucalyptus oil is made, has a wide range  of uses. For fevers, chronic Bronchitis, asthma.  The oil may be inhaled for asthma, sore throats, coughs.

FIG TREE (fruit and leaves) The fig tree is one of the wonderful trees. It has many medicinal properties. Split open the fruit and lay it on a boil.  When the fruit is broken off the tree before it is ripe, a milk escapes and may be put on sores, and boils and will remove warts. The tea made of the leaves will take the spots off the face and body.  Also  is good for lung problems.... Make a syrup from the figs for an excellent cough medicine.  

To Be continued

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2004, 09:48:00 AM »
MEDICINAL  TREES CONTINUED

JUNIPER  (Berries, new twigs)
For kidney and urinery  troubles. Use one heaping teaspoon berries to a cup of boiling water. I drink this tea very often.  It is also an excellent cleanser.

MAGNOLIA  (bark)
Is very effective for manuy ailments and has no ill effects. Help cure the tobacco habit, good for fever, dysentary, dyspepsia.

MAPLE  (Inner bark and Leaves)
Splendid for liver  and other organs.  Also gives maple syrup and maple sugar.

OAK  (Inner bark, leaves, acorn cups)A strong tea made from the white oak bark is excellent for pin-worms, womb problems. It is one of the best remedies for hemorrhoids or any trouble in the rectum. Stops hemorriges in the lungs, stomach, bowels.

PEACH  (Bark, leaves, twigs, kernels)
Plus the delicious fruit, it's leaves are a most healing and specific remedy for gastritis, irritations of the stomach lining, helps stop vomiting, a laxative, also for coughs, Bronchitis and many more.

SLIPPERY ELM (Inner bark)
Shave off the outer bark and cut off the inner bark in big strips.  It is highly nourishing. An Excellent treatment for female problems. Very effective for the stomach,diarrhea, bowel, bladder, and kidney troubles.

WALNUT   (Leaves, bark, nuts)
The leaves and bark, when taken internally, will expell all kinds of worms from the intestinal tract, poisonous snake bites.  Boiled in honey makes an excellent throat and stomach remedy.

There are many other trees also the can be used medicinally.  Thank you God for all your cures.

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2004, 06:47:00 AM »
How to GROW, HARVEST, DRY, COOK with HERBS is an interesting and healthful subject.

You can have the wonderful fragrance and flavor of fresh herbs at your fingertips if you save a spot in your garden, or on your windowsill-to grow them. Herbs thrive in most any well-drained soil, and demand little more than sun and water.  After you see the herbs grow, you then harvest them, and store them for year-round enjoyment.

HARVESTING: Pick your herbs, just as the plant begins to bloom; the oil content in the leaves is greatest at this stage.  Rinse the herbs in cool water, put the stems in water and cover with a plastic bag for short term storage, set in refrigerator or dry them for year-round use.

DRYING:  Hang-drying is the best way.  Tie the stems in bunches, hang upside down to dry in a warm place, out of direct sunlight with good circulation. Let dry till leaves are brittle, usually a few weeks. Then pick off the leaves and store them in a tightly covered container.

COOKING:  Dried herbs have a more concentrated flavor than fresh.  In fact, it takes about three times as much fresh  herbs to give the same flavor as that of its dried source.  Herbs also can be a wonderful replacement for salt.

[This message has been edited by Ele Holmes (edited 03-30-2004).]

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2004, 03:27:00 PM »
 BEST OF SEASONINGS

Tarragon: Very aromatic, use: salads, sauces

Basil: fragrant,use: with vegies especually
      tomatoes, and to make pesto

Fennel: sweet licorice-like flavor. Use:
       breads, pastry, salads

Oregano: strong heavy flavor, use in stews,
        sauces, vegetables.

Rosemary; sweet scent, bold flavor, Use
         sparingly in soups, vegetables

Thyme: strong and slightly sharp taste.
      soups, vegetables, dips

[This message has been edited by Ele Holmes (edited 03-31-2004).]

Ele Holmes

• Moderator at Rest
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2004, 07:48:00 AM »
How are your gardens coming????  Do you have an herb garden?

Don't let them go to seed yet, get the fulness out of them.  My favorite herb Basil, grown here in Mexico abundantly, is now in season.  My friend has brought me  three huge bagsover the last two weeks. I have made pesto and froze it.  This last bag I am going to dry, like you can dry all your herbs so they last the whole year.  The sun will dry them on screens or netting,
or hanging on stem.
Cut green basil leaves about 6 weeks old after planting.  Dust leaves with a damp cloth, wet leaves will turn dark brown when dried.  Remove stem, and dry the whole leaf Crush before using.  Wonderful in sauces, stews, tomatoes, woups...

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2004, 08:53:00 AM »
That is what I did last year Sister Ele. We have been using our own Basil ever since. We have three kinds of Basil in the garden right now plus sage and one or two others. It is so cool to dry your own because it taste a thousand times better than what we buy.  :)

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2015, 07:05:55 AM »

If we neglect to do that which is within the reach of nearly every family, and ask the Lord to relieve pain when we are too indolent to make use of these remedies within our power, it is simply presumption. The Lord expects us to work in order that we may obtain food. He does not propose that we shall gather the harvest unless we break the sod, till the soil, and cultivate the produce. Then God sends the rain and the sunshine and the clouds to cause vegetation to flourish. God works and man cooperates with God. Then there is seedtime and harvest. God has caused to grow out of the ground herbs for the use of man, and if we understand the nature of these roots and herbs, and make a right use of them, there would not be a necessity of running for the doctor so frequently, and people would be in much better health than they are today. MM 230
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Curt

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2023, 08:16:37 AM »
When it comes to age related illnesses, any additional supporting information is welcomed.

https://scitechdaily.com/scientists-discover-that-hibiscus-tea-could-defeat-alzheimers-disease/
By POHANG UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY (POSTECH) JANUARY 5, 2023

Professor Kyong-Tai Kim and Ph.D. candidate Kyung Won Jo, from the Department of Life Sciences at the Pohang University of Science & Technology (POSTECH), have found that the gossypetin in hibiscus activates microglia, the immune cells in the brain. Their research also showed that these microglia can scavenge amyloid-beta in the brain to improve cognitive function in individuals with Alzheimer’s disease.

Isn't it wonderful to know how our creator designed and placed all these wonderful protective substances and supporting components  into the plants for us.