Author Topic: Prayers... Part 2  (Read 27832 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Prayers... Part 2
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 10:11:57 PM »
My heavenly Father, I ask that you strengthen our brothers and sisters around the world, especially those who are being persecuted because of their faith in you. I think of the many in Muslim lands where they face death if found sharing the truth about Jesus. I also think of our little group in the Ukraine who recently were attacked by the Orthodox priests and people as they were sharing the truth of your great love, even for them as they threatened your children. The world is becoming very dark, but as we near that great day, we know that you are pouring out your glory upon your people. Help us to rightly represent you when we are under attack. Help us to love those who despitefully use us, we ask in the very precious name of Jesus, amen.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 06:19:21 AM »
Amen.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 09:39:54 AM »
Prayer is the key that unlocks the storehouse of heaven.

One of the three old men I studied with to become a Christian was recently sick. His name is Casey and his illness interrupted his missionary work. Another one is still busy with his business in west Texas while conducting 3 evening Bible studies a week. Another tends to the needs of the local church and  continues giving Bible studies to those spiritually minded and in search of the truth. All three are 85+ and never have a thought of "retirement." It is foreign to them while setting a great example to all of us many decades younger.

The sick one, now in Iowa, had been playing softball and slid into first base and injured himself. A few days later, he began vomiting old and fresh blood. His lungs were being crushed by accumulating fluid and only his family noticed his labored breathing. A trip to the ER found he had a major tear in his esophagus and at his age, many do not survive such a thing without invasive surgery. He has spent the last 2 weeks in ICU while the doctors took a softer approach to mend him.

I just finished a very sweet phone call with him. He said he very nearly died but God intervened. We talked at length about such things and he began to weep. He knows Jesus and more importantly, Jesus knows him and it is not yet time to lay him to his rest - there is more God wants this man to do. The fact that I am a Christian has much to do with the influence of this man and his two friends mentioned above. Their witness alone would have convinced me of the purity of Bible Christianity. God has His seven thousand. These are but three of them. Please keep these faithful men in your prayers and Casey especially as he comes out of this life-threatening accident. He is greatly loved of heaven and of men on this earth.     

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 09:57:55 AM »
Heavenly Father,  we thank you for these three faithful men who are doing the work set before them. We ask that you water the seeds that have been planted through the many years. We also ask that you continue to bring into their reach those who are seeking truth that they may know Jesus and His present truth for today.  Send extra angels to help our Brother Casey as he recovers from his injury. Use his time in the hospital to reach some of those who are caring for him. Thank you for their tender care for him. We pray in the precious name of Jesus, amen.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Sister Dee

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2012, 08:19:14 AM »
All three are 85+ and never have a thought of "retirement."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sick one, now in Iowa, had been playing softball and slid into first base and injured himself.

Wow!  That is amazing!  I will be praying for Casey.  Please keep us updated, Sybil. 

Sister Dee

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 05:54:28 PM »
I just received word this evening that my uncle has passed away.  He was the husband of my mother's sister.  I'm not sure how old he was.  I'm guessing 85 or 86.  Recently he was hospitalized with pneumonia.  During that time they also found out he had cancer.  They were waiting for him to recover from the pneumonia before deciding on cancer treatment for him.  Apparently he was worse off than they thought because his death happened very suddenly.  I imagine the family is in shock.  Please pray for them. 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 07:31:42 PM »
I am sorry, Sister Dee. God allowed that man to live a very long time. 

Vicki

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2012, 08:48:27 AM »
I am sorry, Dee. No matter the age, death is difficult for those who loved them. The family is in my prayers.

Sister Dee

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2012, 10:17:08 AM »
Thank you both. 

I Googled to see if I could come up with any more info, though it is rather early for that.  I did come up with some interesting family history and found an online bulletin with a prayer request from last week for my uncle from the Lutheran church they attended.  This was also interesting because it contained the entire liturgy for the service.  Scanning through it brought back childhood memories of being raised Lutheran.  I got to the confessional part and yet another memory resurfaced.  The part where the minister says, "I forgive you all your sins."   :o  This was done in my childhood church also.  Once when my Baptist grandmother was visiting us she stated that no man could forgive our sins, only God.  Of course, she was absolutely correct!  That was one of those moments that sticks with you.  Strangely, though my grandmother raised her children in the Congregational church, both her daughters married Lutherans, and her son a Catholic.  But then, maybe not so strange after all.  They all returned to their German roots.  And now, my mother is a Baptist. 

Another memory is of my oldest cousin's confirmation day.  I remember that they had to make a vow not to leave the Lutheran church.  Being about five years younger than my cousin, I thought ahead to my own confirmation.  I decided that when they got to that part, I would just keep my mouth shut!  Some years later when the time came, I was relieved that it wasn't included in the service at my church.  I really can't remember exactly what my thinking was.  Not that I doubted God.  Maybe even back then I had a notion that this church did not have the whole truth.  More likely it was I didn't think that just Lutherans were going to be saved.

Wow.  Too much reminiscing!   

Vicki

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2012, 10:33:23 AM »
"I forgive you all your sins."   

I've never been to a Lutheran church, but that surprises me. I always thought they avoided Catholic thinking until recent developments. My sister is Lutheran and attends the church regularly, her husband was raised such & we were raised Methodist. She's always said the Lutheran church is staunchly anti-catholic. I suppose there are various sects within of the Lutheran church as there are in other denominations.

Sister Dee

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2012, 11:07:46 AM »
Yes, there are different brands of Lutherans, usually called synods.  This is the Missouri Synod.  My parents weren't thrilled that the only Lutheran church in our town was one of these.  They preferred a more liberal variety. 

Though they claim to be anti-Catholic, they cannot tell you why.  Anti-Catholicism was drummed into our heads during confirmation classes with no explanation.  I figured they were just being mean.  The church has forgotten her roots. 

One thing that surprised me greatly was just how similar Lutheran and Catholic services are.  When my husband and I attended a more liberal Lutheran church for a time, I came to understand just why.  Our pastor told us in a sermon (or homily, as he called it, just like the Catholic church) that we were really re-formed Catholics.  Ah-ha!  He even got us into making the sign of the cross.  Between that and having taught a year in a Catholic school, I still get the urge now and then to make the sign of the cross in our SDA church after we are finished singing "Hear Our Prayer", which is also used in Catholic and Lutheran churches.   :P  I can only imagine what it must be like for folks that have come out from being lifelong Catholics.

Strangely enough, smoking in the Lutheran churches of my childhood was not frowned upon.  I still remember us driving up to the church and seeing the pastor outside with a couple of the members having a cigarette before the service started!   ::)  At another, the pastor and some members would smoke in the fellowship hall when they would gather for coffee after the service.  Drinking alcohol was also permitted.  However, my aunt and uncle did not drink, unlike my own folks.  This set them apart as strange.   

I know there are some very conservative Lutheran churches.  It surprised me greatly when I read Ray Holmes' book, "Stranger in My Home", that they did not drink, smoke, or dance. 

After all of us children were confirmed, my family attended the Methodist church.  I'm not sure exactly why we stopped going to the Lutheran church, but I wasn't exactly sorry.  My parents did not remove our membership.  When I joined a Methodist church while attending a Methodist college in Texas, things sort of heated up.  The leaders of our local Lutheran church were not happy that my parents did not have me under control, even though it had been a number of years since they had actually attended church there.   ::) 

Vicki

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2012, 11:50:54 AM »
Thank you for expounding on the Lutheran-Catholic information. Yesterday afternoon I had a lengthy discussion with someone about raising children - empathy and advice flowed freely from both of us. What was most noteworthy was finding a Bible principle for why and how we train, discipline and lead our children. Finding and following the Bible principle should be the same in all areas of our life. There is no sense in telling people that Catholicism is wrong when we can't tell them why it is wrong. As we have seen in another topic today, it leads to confusion.

(When I joined the Seventh-day Adventist Church I had my name removed from the Methodist Church records. The pastors, a husband and wife team whom I am fond of, were upset. My parents were just happy I was going to church.)

Sister Dee

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 07:58:27 AM »
And now I have learned that my cousin passed away Saturday afternoon.  He was 52 and had battled pancreatic cancer for the past three years.  He left behind a wife and three children, the youngest being a sophomore in high school I believe.  And his parents.  I imagine this is very hard on that branch of our family, even though I know it was expected.  Thank you for praying for them. 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 09:36:59 AM »
I'm sorry, Sister Dee.

colporteur

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 12:11:48 PM »
"I forgive you all your sins."   

I've never been to a Lutheran church, but that surprises me. I always thought they avoided Catholic thinking until recent developments. My sister is Lutheran and attends the church regularly, her husband was raised such & we were raised Methodist. She's always said the Lutheran church is staunchly anti-catholic. I suppose there are various sects within of the Lutheran church as there are in other denominations.

There is the Missouri Synod, Wisconsin Synod, and the Evangelicial Lutheran  Church of America (ELCA)  I have heard that the Wisconsin Synod is the most conservative then the Missouri Synod, and the ELCA is the most liberal branch.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2012, 08:50:18 PM »
Please Pray for my eldest son. He has been out of work for a long time now and unemployment stopped five months ago. They are down to riding bikes now and picking up cans and bottles. He needs help. Thank you very much. Sister Glass
With Christian Love,
Marie

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2012, 06:57:10 AM »
Oh, Sister Glass! There are millions in his same situation. We join you in praying he can find work somewhere! It is very difficult for a man to discover he cannot provide for his household.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2012, 02:22:00 AM »
We will pray for your son, Sister Glass. God has a plan for his life.  We are all going through great trials as Jesus is preparing to come!!

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2012, 03:22:34 AM »
Thank you both for your prayers. These are indeed hard times.
I hate to think how bad it must be for others on the coast.
 :(
With Christian Love,
Marie

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2012, 12:45:57 PM »
Heavenly Father, we pray for our brothers, Antonio dos Anjos Monteiro, and Bruno Amah that are falsely charged and are are separated from their families and friends in Togo. Please use this situation to bring attention to the gospel message and the work of your church. Comfort our brothers as they go through this great trial. We pray in the precious name of Jesus, amen.