Author Topic: Firefox extenstions and add-ons  (Read 26631 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Firefox extenstions and add-ons
« on: March 01, 2007, 07:13:00 AM »
This is only for those who use the Firefox web browser. This is a list of add-ons for Firefox that I believe will enhance your web surfing experience and make it more secure.

1) Adblock Plus https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1865/

Do you wish certain advertisements and images did not show up? Well there is help. This is one of my favorite add-ons. ABP (Ad Block Plus) will block advertisements from know shady places from showing up. It will also allow you to manually choose to block certain images and advertisements. If an image and/or advertisement shows up that you don't like. Just right click on the image and then click on "adblock image" and you'll never see that image again. This add-on will also subscribe to an ad-watch website and update every so often to keep your adblock plus up to date so you don't have to worry about always blocking new advertisements.

2) Flashblock https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/433/

This is also one of my favorites and is especially nice for people who still use dial-up connections. This will block all flash animation until you tell it to play. Thus you don't have to wait for flash animations to download.

3) NoScript https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/722/

This disallows java to be run on your computer until you give it permission from trusted sites. Beware though that running this will block features on some websites and maybe a tad frustrating until you have your trusted website database up to date.

4) Colorful Tabs https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1368/

This is for those who have become to using browser tabs while surfing the web. This will give each tab you open a different color making it easier to keep track of them.

5) Tab Catalog https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1937/

This again is for those who love to use tabs while browsing the web. This will display thumbnail images of all the tabs you have open. Then just click on the one you want.

6) IE Tab https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/

Some websites require you to run IE to view and use them correctly. However, with this installed it will allow you to run an IE tab inside Firefox. This way you don't have to switch browsers. You'll be able to visit IE only websites with Firefox.

7) Split Browser https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/4287/

This add-on allows you to split the browser screen so you can view 2 or more websites at once on the same screen without switching tabs.

8) Mouse Gestures  https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/39/

If you're tired of always having to use the keyboard or clicking on icons to browse the web this is for you. This makes it possible to back-up or go forward, open a new tab, etc.. etc.. with simple movements of the mouse. It's a bit awkward at first but once you're use to it you'll never go back.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 07:42:00 AM »
Thank you, Jim. This is wonderful! Java particularly interfers with the White Estate site.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
Need to tuck this comment in some place ... am in the city for a few days with satellite connection ...  :o  The speed is unbelievable! Typically I can brush my teeth by the time a webpage is loaded with dial up. I can't blink before this one is loaded. Must get satellite out in the forest. This is too good.

Brian M

Re: Firefox extenstions and add-ons
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 10:07:31 AM »
Here is a link to one of my favorite add-ons. It is called research word(s). You highlight any word from a web page or a document opened with your browser and it gives you a bunch of options to find out more information about that word, from dictionaries to encyclopedias online - and more.

Here is what they say about it:

Search any word on a page via context (right click) menu or from Address Bar shortcuts from a variety of resources, including: Wikipedia, dictionaries, and media sites. Custom preferences allow you to add your own resources, labels and shortcuts.

Quickly lookup a word or phrase simply from the Context Menu or Address Bar. Search words with Wikipedia, Google Definitions, Google Images, Urban Dictionary, IMDb, etc. As well as your own resources.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3803
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 12:18:52 PM »
Ahhh, the tabs. I love the tabs. That's why I switched to Firefox several years ago. IE took way to long to add tabs and I got tired of multiple windows.  By the time they added them, I was stuck to Firefox.  ;D I do have one problem though. From time to time, I look for music, the free kind. Some of the mp3's will play in WMP, some in Quicktime, but there are those few that won't play on anything in Firefox.  I get a pop up telling me I need to download a plugin- namely WMP. But I already have the latest version. When I tell it to download, it doesn't download anything. Then I have to open IE to hear those mp3.s Any suggestions what I can do?
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 12:25:05 PM »
I just added the tab catalog. It's great, works a lot like Vista's window switcher.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 03:27:45 PM »
And I just added the Split Browser! Whoa! I feel like a profashunal!

Dalfie

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 05:07:06 PM »
Need to tuck this comment in some place ... am in the city for a few days with satellite connection ...  :o  The speed is unbelievable! Typically I can brush my teeth by the time a webpage is loaded with dial up. I can't blink before this one is loaded. Must get satellite out in the forest. This is too good.

LOL! Sybil, you're going to have to ask me what I thought when I saw this post..... ;)

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 09:43:26 AM »
Most people don't realize that a lot of websites know exactly where you came from. In other words if you go to www.cbsnews.com they probably know that the last place you visited was www.remnant-online.com. They know this due something called a "referrer".  If you wish to know a little more than my generic explanation you read more here at HTTP Referrer.

Just recently I have run into a Firefox addon that allows you to control this referrer. You can completely block the referrer so that the next website you visit doesn't get this information. It's called RefControl and you can find it here...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/953
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 12:02:13 PM »
Need a Key Scrambler?  Here it is! Yay!  :D

Firefox add-on

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3383

It only works on keystrokes made inside your browser.

It also gave one to Internet Explorer.

Maybe we can find one for Instant Messaging.

Won Bae

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 02:48:52 PM »
JimB,
I use Firefox and noticed that yesterday my computer downloaded the latest update.
Do I have to do any thing utilize some of the items you have mentioned above?

Won

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 11:37:51 PM »
Brother Won, by default Firefox will download and update itself to the latest version. This is a separate thing from adding add-ons or extensions to Firefox. For those add-ons you need to visit the websites given and then click on install when the window comes up.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 02:24:05 PM »
From Firefox's add-ons page (shown above), I downloaded two today that are also great! They are all great, but I especially like these.

The PDF add-on will alert you when you go to a website that is purely a PDF. Instead of waiting to download it, it will give you an option to view it as an html (as Google does) or go ahead and open it. I like that feature because I am still on dial-up.  ::) PDF downloads highjack your browser until they are completed, so this a must have for turtle data delivery systems such as dial-up!

The other thing: Forecastfox  This will give you your local weather, with forecasts and any severe weather alerts from the National Weather Service. This should be good for you people in tornado alley. We have one today (which I did not know of until installing this add-on) for high winds and, what else? More snow. So this is excellent for weather freaks. It also give you real-time radar where you live. It sits on the bottom bar.

It is like having a little command center all on one page. :D

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 06:00:03 PM »
KeyScrambler, an addon to Firefox, has a new version, 2.0.  BUT - it has a nasty little attachment to it, spyware by the name VXGame.D.  I have notified the software mfg. - and they probably laughed, but they know that I know and will not be downloading it.

http://www.download.com/KeyScrambler-Personal/3000-2144_4-10571274.html?part=dl-KeyScramb&subj=uo&tag=button&cdlpid=10571274

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 08:20:28 PM »
I grabbed scrapbook a few days ago, and saving web pages is easy. Further more, when you want to go back to that web page, it is listed in the scrapbook menu which the addon puts in Firefox menus. scrapbook addon

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 03:35:56 AM »
QFX answered ... wdyt, Jim?

I'm sure it's a false positive identification.  If you can let us know
which anti-virus program you use, we'll notify the maker so they can
correct it.  In the mean time, you can wait and stay with your existing
version, or you can check that the installer you downloaded hasn't been
compromised by right-clicking on the file and then selecting
"Properties".  Then in the properties dialog, select "Digital
Signatures".  There should be an entry for "QFX Software Corporation",
click on it and select "Details" and then see if it says "This digital
signature is OK" under "Digital Signature Information".

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Best regards,

Qian
--
Qian ("Chen") Wang
QFX Software Corporation

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 05:42:51 AM »
This person/company has always been quick to answer my questions. I seriously doubt that they'd purposely attach some malware. I say this only because it will eventually be detected and it would not bode well for a software company to get this kind of reputation.

Did you do as they requested?

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 07:21:34 AM »
I downloaded the free version and the signature checks out. Also I checked the file with Symantec Antivirus and found nothing.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 07:22:42 AM »
Stopzilla interrupts the installation and does away with it so I will have to disable Stopzilla and try again. Thanks, Jim.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 10:43:03 AM »
Ok folks... I've discovered another very handy firefox addon. If you're anything like me... I semi-frequently have to rebuild my computer and then I have to go back and find and re-install bookmarks, addons, etc.. Well this "addon" will do all that for you and even on a schedule. Take a look....

FEBE