Author Topic: Firefox extenstions and add-ons  (Read 26632 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: Firefox extenstions and add-ons
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2012, 04:13:14 PM »
This is extension is for those who use Google and Facebook mostly. It even will help you out and give you pointers on how to set settings in Facebook to make things more secure (at least that is what the article says... I didn't actually try it).

PrivacyFix

The add-on also tells you how many of the websites you visit feed data back to Facebook and Google. I was surprised to see that Facebook is tracking me across 87 percent of the Internet, despite the fact that I'm a minimal user of Facebook.

Privacyfix has a checklist for Facebook privacy settings, with orange warning signs near settings that users might want to take a look at. Unless you're a complete privacy hawk already—or you don't care at all—you'll probably find something new on that list that you weren't aware of. Did you know Facebook automatically shares your profile info when you visit certain sites? Did you know your profile details are sometimes shared not just with your friends, but often with the makers of your friends' apps?
Source
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2012, 07:25:17 AM »
It seems that most are oblivious to the dangers with Google and Facebook. And you don't need to be using their services to get caught up in them. If your contacts are using them, then they get information about you through your friends. I quit replying to one of my friends who used gmail because Google was capturing my replies to my friend.  It may seem innocent enough, but there will be consequences down the road.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

carls365

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2012, 09:09:19 AM »
It seems that most are oblivious to the dangers with Google and Facebook. And you don't need to be using their services to get caught up in them. If your contacts are using them, then they get information about you through your friends. I quit replying to one of my friends who used gmail because Google was capturing my replies to my friend.  It may seem innocent enough, but there will be consequences down the road.

Those two companies are collecting just a huge amount of data on everyone that uses them, they know what a person even eats for breakfast. If it ever came down to finding that person, I'm sure it would be very easy to do by knowing their habits they've posted over the years and it's amazing how many people let them do it, including SDA's who should know better and what it can mean. They don't seem to recall Google and FB clearly saying they don't delete anything. They just keep getting more TB hard drives. One day all that info will come back upon the users to "hit them in the face", probably in the time of trouble.

In addition, all that growing info is available to gov agencies.

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2013, 07:26:06 AM »
I just installed Lightbeam for Firefox that shows who all is tracking me on the web. Video
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2015, 06:24:31 PM »
Isn't "Google Privacy" an oxymoron? None-the-less, Mozilla has it as a new addon in beta. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-privacy/

About this Add-on
Google Search and other search engines and websites seem to ignore Mozilla's 'Do-Not-Track'-header and add tracking functions to their search results and external links anyway.
This add-on shows tracking-free links or optionally replaces the results with those links.

Websites supported (for now) are Google, YouTube, Yahoo!, Bing and Facebook.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2015, 05:15:08 PM »
About those tracking functions: I just found out that those ridiculously long urls that that come up in the address bar when you open a google link is actually tracking code. Actually, I was looking up why there is so much bloat in google searches, you know, everything including the kitchen sink comes up when you do a search, often stuff totally unrelated to what you are searching for. That led me to an article about the long urls which I despise. Try copying one of them to send to someone or to post.  >:( Well, I discovered there is an extension for that.  :D Google Search Link Fix for Mobile and Desktop. I installed it. I tried it. No more tracking google url misery (at least for now). Actually there are two different extensions, but the first one I looked at requires javascript to be enabled, which I have disabled and will remain that way.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2015, 06:14:05 PM »
Another option is https://www.startpage.com/

They give you google results without all the tracking. I've tried them side by side with google and sure enough I get the same results. Only once in a great while do I need to use google to find what I'm looking for.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}