Author Topic: Search Engines  (Read 2127 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • A glorious sunset teaches of trust and faith.....
    • The Remnant Online
Search Engines
« on: June 07, 2006, 05:21:00 AM »
Anyone know anything about search engines and how they work?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
Re: Search Engines
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 07:23:52 AM »
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 07:30:07 AM »
There is a new search engine out there. Some of the founders of this new search engine are ex Google employees and claim that their search engine will rival Google. However, I've done a few searches and have been disappointed but I do appreciate their privacy policy which you can find below. If any of you try this new search engine out I would be interested in your thoughts after trying it a few times.

http://www.cuil.com/info/privacy/

Here is a quote from it...
Your Privacy
Effective Date: July 27, 2008

Privacy is a hot topic these days, and we want you to feel totally comfortable using our service, so our privacy policy is very simple: when you search with Cuil, we do not collect any personally identifiable information, period. We have no idea who sends queries: not by name, not by IP address, and not by cookies (more on this later). Your search history is your business, not ours.

More precisely:

Logs

We do not keep logs of our usersí search activity.

Cookies

Cookies are small files on your computer that websites create to store user preferences, such as language settings. Each time you visit a Cuil page, your computerís cookies automatically provide Cuil with your preferences. You can change or delete your cookies anytime via your Web browser options.

We do not record the information in your cookies on our servers; your browser sends your preferences to us with each search request. This way, we do not store any personal information about you on our servers.

Immanuel

• Senior Moderator
  • Jesus is My Judge
    • Emmanuel Institute of Evangelism
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:05:58 AM »
I tried Cuil yesterday several times and was not impressed. The search seemed to return odd results to some of my queries. I do think that the way they display the results is interesting, but I am not sure that it will be easier to quickly scan through them. There is still a lot of fine tuning that they need to do before it can actually compete with Google.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 07:34:54 AM »
I haven't used this a whole lot yet but it looks promising....

https://ixquick.com/eng/protect_privacy.html

https://ixquick.com/