Author Topic: Firefox  (Read 34778 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Firefox
« on: October 31, 2005, 06:38:00 AM »
For those who wish to have another alternative to Microsoft's "Internet Explorer" you might wish to checkout a product called Firefox. You can find this free browser here.... http://www.mozilla.org/
I think you'll find it worth your time and effort.

Also for those who feel comfortable doing a little digging and adjusting there is something called "extensions" for Firefox. You can find these extensions here.... https://addons.mozilla.org/

One of these extensions that I would recommend is one called "Adblock". Once this is downloaded and installed you can slowly teach your browswer to ignore all those unwanted advertisements that automatically come up when browsing. Another benefit is that because the adds no long appear your browsing becomes a little faster.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Firefox
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 09:36:00 AM »
Brother Jim, I understand that Firefox is a little different from IE in that it is an open source product. Maybe you can explain a little about this so that our people may want to support it by using it and other open source products?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
Firefox
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 11:45:00 AM »
Good idea brother Richard. Too often I just assume people know things when then they don't.

Firefox is considered what people call "open source" software. Meaning that the source code of the software itself is available to look at. This allows people with programming knowledge to look at the code and see if there is anything "bad". This cuts down on spyware and malware. It also allows you to make changes to the software if you wish. And is 99% of the time free to use.

In some "open-source projects" like linux lots of  different people give their input and in a way create software that comes from a group of people instead of an individual.

The idea is to create free quality software. Because sometimes people just can't afford the commercial products.

You can read a bigger and probably better definition of "open-source" here at Wikipedia

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Firefox
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
I just downloaded the latest update for Firefox and after installation was told that my Java was not compatible and was disabled. Searched for compatible Java and Firefox said there was none. You may want to hold off on your update until this is resolved. Have not checked anything beyond what is posted here.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
Firefox
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
It told me the same thing. However, I haven't actually run into any problems yet. I'm not sure why it claims to have disabled jave because I use the java-loop at ....

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Java.aspx?animate=true

All the time with no problems. I even use the EGW Estate search website which is heavy with java without any problems.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Firefox
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
Ditto, Jim.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Firefox
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »
Mine seems to be working properly also. I guess I jumped the gun!  

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Firefox
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 06:31:18 PM »
I know there quite a few here who are hip to the various features of Firefox add ons. I have downloaded a few, but the one I appreciate most is the English Dictionary spell checker.  ;D

Thanks, Jim for the referral to Firefox. I love it!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 08:30:52 PM »
Yes, I am lost without it!!!  :) 

Brian M

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 07:05:15 AM »
Here is a link to one of my favorite add-ons. It is called research word(s). You highlight any word from a web page or a document opened with your browser and it gives you a bunch of options to find out more information about that word, from dictionaries to encyclopedias online - and more.

Here is what they say about it:

Search any word on a page via context (right click) menu or from Address Bar shortcuts from a variety of resources, including: Wikipedia, dictionaries, and media sites. Custom preferences allow you to add your own resources, labels and shortcuts.

Quickly lookup a word or phrase simply from the Context Menu or Address Bar. Search words with Wikipedia, Google Definitions, Google Images, Urban Dictionary, IMDb, etc. As well as your own resources.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3803
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 09:53:13 AM »
Here is a link to one of my favorite add-ons. It is called research word(s).
 When you get a minute maybe you could give that information here http://remnant-online.com/smf/index.php?topic=2990.0 also.

Brian M

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 10:14:17 AM »
Its there!
Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law. Psalm 119:18

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 02:22:02 PM »
I really like Firefox, but sometimes it just doesn't work right. I clicked open a link to a site that sent it crashing every time I opened it. I finally had to give up and use IE to open it. I don't know what the problem is, but I wish they'd get it fixed. I wonder if it had to do with Quicktime? The site had video that automatically starts when the site is opened.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 06:39:59 AM »
Sometimes is it just "one of those things". That site you had problems with worked just fine for me. However, from time to time there are websites that work only with IE. For that take a look at the discussion on Firefox add-ons. There is an add-on that will allow Firefox to view websites through IE.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 07:28:22 AM »
Has anyone upgraded to Firefox 3.0? If so what has been your experience? Have any of your add-ons stopped working? Do you like the new interface?

Brian M

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 08:15:21 AM »
Has anyone upgraded to Firefox 3.0? If so what has been your experience? Have any of your add-ons stopped working? Do you like the new interface?

Yes, I upgraded to 3.0. The interface seems about the same. Some add-ons stopped working, but most are still ok. My favorite ones are still working: colorful tabs, customize google, adblock plus, no script, and research word.

I've had no problems with the program, but haven't noticed much difference either.

Lewis

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 09:01:26 AM »
It is faster than Internet Explorer. I have more add-ons that I can use compared to IE.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 12:17:35 PM »
I am going to stick with the 2.xx for now. Just got the toolbar and addons situated! :D If you guys find that it is way superior to 2.xx, let me know - otherwise, I'll keep what I have for a while.

Brian M

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 02:35:29 PM »
I wouldn't call it far superior - I don't notice much of a difference really. It did not adjust my toolbar at all. It did keep my add-ons (updating what needed to be) and told me what add-ons wouldn't work.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 10:01:15 PM »
I dislike tabs very much.  I like to click once, not twice to go to an existing page. Why do some of you like "tabs"?