Author Topic: Firefox  (Read 34773 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Firefox
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2010, 05:55:49 PM »
The subject of tray icons has been discussed, but I don't recall any solution. All of a sudden my open page icons are only showing in one window with the number of windows hidden, until I click the window, then all pages appear stacked. It means an extra click before I can select another window. Has anyone discovered how to get them back inline in the tray?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2010, 09:29:58 AM »
I have the same problem. Are you on Windows XP or 7?
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2010, 12:41:57 PM »
xp works fine, it is vista that does it.  Not only does it take an extra click, but since you can't see the icons until you click, it takes a lot more time to find the window you want. :(  Wonder how they came to the conclusion it would be good?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2010, 05:54:22 AM »
Vista...that explains it. Windows 7 does the same thing. Must be one of those new "improvements". I'll do some digging and see if there is a way around it.

Ok...here are a couple of answers. There might be a simpler way to accomplish what you want by "pinning" the desired programs to the taskbar. Here are instructions on how to do that. Scroll down to the section title "Who Needs Quick Launch? Pinning's Simpler"

http://windowssecrets.com/2009/11/19/03-Dumping-Java-cache-improves-browser-performance#known2

However, if you really wish to bring back the Quick Launch Bar you can do so by following the instructions. Scroll to the section title "Bring the Quick Launch toolbar back to Windows 7"

http://windowssecrets.com/2009/11/12/03-Readers-offer-more-ways-to-enhance-Windows-7#known2

These instructions are for Windows7 but I'm willing to guess that these will work for Vista also.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2011, 05:39:29 AM »
Jim, MS gave me the solution to .NET Framework Service Pack update problems:

Dear Sybil,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Windows Update Support. My name is Lily, and I am glad to work with you. For your reference, the case ID for this service request is SRX1152138536. You can contact me by sending an email to v-30liwa@mssupport.microsoft.com with the case ID in the subject line.

>From your description, I understand that the following two updates could not install on your computer:

Windows XP Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB953300)

Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2416447)

You do not have Silverlight installed. Please let me know if I have misunderstood.

I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.

The issue can be caused by a damaged .NET Framework component. At this time, please refer to the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

Step 1: Remove .NET Framework using removal tool

================================

1. Please download the tool from the following link:

http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog_Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Please save the zip file (dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip) from the above link to the local Desktop and extract it.

3. Double click cleanup_tool.exe to run the tool.

4. Please follow the instructions given.

In the "Product to cleanup:" box, please select ".NET Framework – All versions".

5. Click "Cleanup Now" button.

6. Restart the computer.

After performing these steps, please move on to the following suggestions to reinstall .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 and their updates.

Step 2: Install .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0, and their updates

============================================

Please download and install the following updates in order.

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package

http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/a/c/aac39226-8825-44ce-90e3-bf8203e74006/dotnetfx.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/7/567758a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a/dotnetfx.exe

*Please note the name of the above two download files is the same. Please save the second one to a different location.

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/b/4/8b4addd8-e957-4dea-bdb8-c4e00af5b94b/NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework Service Pack 1(KB2416447)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/D/C/6DC6FFA8-4585-4192-A366-85712491322D/NDP1.1sp1-KB2416447-X86.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2

http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/6/e/c6e88215-0178-4c6c-b5f3-158ff77b1f38/NetFx20SP2_x86.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/0/1/A01064A3-CAB0-4851-9C54-56A980FF00EB/NDP20SP2-KB974417-x86.exe

Note: When the "File Download" window appears, please click "Save", and follow the directions to save the file on the Desktop. After downloading all the setup files, please double-click on each one to install them.

If any error was encountered while attempting the above steps, please help to collect the following information:

How to capture a Screenshot:

=======================

1. When the error appears, please press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.

3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit Menu, click Save under the File menu, type a file name for the snap shot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click Save.

4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: v-30liwa@mssupport.microsoft.com.

Please try my suggestions, and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know. It is my pleasure to be of assistance.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Lily

v-30liwa@mssupport.microsoft.com

Microsoft Windows Update Support Professional

I am going to do this later today and will let you know how it works.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2011, 08:38:12 AM »
Interesting... let me know how that works for you. If it works this will be good reference material for the future.

One thought, however, if you do need to get a screen shot. There is a way to get just the window you need and not a picture of your whole desktop. Instead of pressing shft-printscreen press alt-printscreen instead. This will capture the active window only.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2011, 07:05:26 PM »
It worked and the .NET Framework updates finally installed without errors. Make it a reference.  ;)
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2011, 06:06:55 AM »
Well that is good to know. Nothing is hard if you know what to do :)

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2014, 06:36:01 AM »
Firefox which in the past has been in the past privacy friendly has now drastically changed it ways. :(

Firefox has a reputation as a browser that guards its users’ privacy at the expense of advertiser interests. While consumer advocates might see Firefox’s ad product as a reversal of that stance, Darren Herman, Mozilla’s VP of content, is quick to point out the user benefits.

To support ad personalization, Mozilla created an internal data system that aggregates user information while stripping out personally identifiable information. Mozilla can track impressions, clicks, and the number of ads a user hides or pins. Its advertising partners are also privy to that data.
Source

It might be that it's only with the new version of Firefox. I'm not sure yet but it might pay not to upgrade when it asks. Also, I haven't yet really tested it out but there might be a decent alternative that will still use your favorite Firefox addons. It's a fork from Firefox. It's called Palemoon and you can find it here here. I will be testing this in the near future to see how it is.