Author Topic: General Computer Help  (Read 6863 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
General Computer Help
« on: October 17, 2005, 06:27:00 AM »
Jesus is coming quickly and sooner than most realize and the computers that we use are playing a part in this. However, just like all things man made they break down from time to time. This forum is to help those who are experiencing problems with their computers.

The moderators do not claim to know everything when it comes to computers so members who have experience in the areas of question are asked to please speak up if you have a solution or can at least point us in the right direction.

We can use this thread for general computer questions. Those questions/problems that are more specific or might need explinations which are longer and/or more in depth will probably require their own thread.

As the topics in this forum grow please do a little searching first and see if your problem has already been addressed so we do not start multiple threads with the same topic. In the computer world not only is time valuable but so is space.

Now.... How can we assist you?

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Liane H

• http://
General Computer Help
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 06:35:00 AM »
Hi:

Thanks for starting this forum. I sure am going to be here a few times.

My first problem is that the computer will not stay up. In other words it is on, but the screen goes blank if I leave it on for to long.

I have a screen saver and my sign on and off has sign off, retart and stand by. I think that the last one is what may be causing the problem.

How can I remove the stand by or what are the steps I can take to make sure that I can keep on computer on and be able to come back to it later without having to turn it off or reboot it to get back to my screen?

Thank you.

Liane, the Zoo Mama  

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

JimB

• Servant
General Computer Help
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 07:40:00 AM »
Sister Liane, it sounds like your power saving options are set. Under "control panel" click on the icon that says "power options". Once you are there make sure all the settings are set to "never". If all of them are already set to "never" let me know and we can explore other options.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
General Computer Help
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 08:01:00 AM »
Great help for us all, Brothers Jim and Brad! Thank you!

We all have problems we learn to live with, especially when it comes to computers and software. I have two that I would like to clear up if anyone has an answer.

First, my internet computer is running win98 and it never shuts down properly so when I start up it always wants to run scandisk.

Second, I really appreciate Firefox and its email program. Am having trouble getting a plugin to view video. And...I can't seem to figure out how to organize my bookmarks. My new folders end up on the bottom and something is not right when I go to move them. And....while I am thinking of it, I have not backed up my email file in that program and am in danger of losing them if the drive crashes. Anyone know where to find the file to backup?

Thank you Mozilla for Firefox and a little competition for the giant.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
General Computer Help
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 08:40:00 AM »
Brother Richard, the Windows98 shutdown problem is a common problem and sometimes is difficult to narrow down. However, the first I'd start (if you have not already tried this) is by downloading and installing the Windows98 Shutdown Supplement from Mircosoft. It has been my experience that this fixes shutdown problems about 80% of the time. You can find it here...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeatured/Win98SE/Default.asp

Now as far as backing up your email under Thunderbird. The location is different depending on which Windows version you're using. However, if the computer where your email is located is XP the location of the email will be a path that looks like this...

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxx.default

The best bet is to backup all folders under the "profiles" directory. At least this is how I do it when I re-format my hard drive from time to time.

I'm not sure what video plugin you're trying to get but it has been my experience that for whatever reason if you tell Firefox to search for itself it rarely works. You're better off going directly to the website of the software maker and downloading the plugin. For instance. If you needed the "Flash" or "Shockwave" plugin... it is best to go to www.macromedia and directly download and install the applications.

Now you should be able to arrange your bookmarks in anyway you see fit using the "manage bookmarks" option under "bookmarks". It should give you several options to sort your bookmarks.

Hope that is helpful if not you know where to find this forum.  :)

M.A. Crawford

General Computer Help
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 09:41:00 AM »
I am certainly in need of help because I know very little about computers. I did not study computer manuals in depth when I had the time, and now I am paying for that mistake. Before I state the problem, let me give whoever responds to this request some basic information about my computer.

My computer is a Compaq Presario, about six years old. At the very top of the computer are the numbers 7478. The Windows version this computer uses is Windows 98. Now, concerning the browser, this computer is equipped with Netscape and I believe another application program which has escaped me as of this moment.

The problem is I cannot access any of the non-public forums. When I type in my user name and password, the monitor screen will show the "Thank you...." message and then immediately switch back to the screen asking for the user name and password.

Another problem is I have to type in my user name and password each time I post a message in the public forums. I have many times clicked on "Preferences" at the top of the page, selected "Yes" to indicate that I want to automatically have my user name and password stored for one year, and then clicked on "Submit Preferences" at the bottom of the page, yet to no avail.

Also, the "light bulbs" that used to appear do not appear at all on either page.

Hopefully, someone can assist me with these problems. Thank you.

M.A.  

M.A.

JimB

• Servant
General Computer Help
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 10:15:00 AM »
Brother Crawford, it has been a very long time since I've used Netscape so I don't remember the exact steps inside Netscape to do this but... I'd start by deleting all your "temporary internet files", and all the files in your "cache" folder along with your browser history and cookies.

Now if what I've said doesn't make any sense or you're not sure where to find these folders just let us know and we'll try to walk you through it.

The "light bulb" problem is still a mystery to most of us here at TRO. A couple of weeks ago I tried to do a search to see if there were any known compatibility problems between certian browsers and this forum's software and I could not find anything.

Also brother Richard, may have more answers to the questions directly concerning how TRO's software works.

M.A. Crawford

General Computer Help
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 11:29:00 AM »
Thank you for your post. The "light bulbs" have come on again and I have access to the private forums. How long I will have both is anybody's guess. The last time I had both, I had them for less than a day.

M.A.

M.A.

M.A. Crawford

General Computer Help
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 11:36:00 AM »
If I need to get back with you Bro. JimB, about this or any other computer problem, I will let you know. Again, thanks for your information.

M.A.

M.A.

M.A. Crawford

General Computer Help
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 10:09:00 AM »
Since 10/18/05, I have been unable to access the public forums for reasons as mentioned in my first post.
M.A.

JimB

• Servant
General Computer Help
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 12:10:00 PM »
Have you tried deleting your history, cache, and cookies?

M.A. Crawford

General Computer Help
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 11:51:00 AM »
No, I have not, because of my limited knowledge of computers.
M.A.

Liane H

General Computer Help
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 04:48:00 AM »
Hi JimB:

Sorry for the long response. I tried what you said to do and my program is different in the script you gave me. There is no site with the option of "never." I have the ME Windows and maybe it is different than what you know.

I tried changing to navigate or power off to see what would happen, but neither worked and I still have to turn off my computer if I am not using it for any length of time.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thank you so much for opening up this topic. I have more, but this is my top one for now.

Liane, the Zoo Mama  

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

JimB

• Servant
General Computer Help
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 06:09:00 AM »
Liane, you are correct. I have never used Windows ME, however, it shouldn't be that different.

Is there a "power options" icon under the control panel? if there is... there should be 4 options...

Turn off monitor:

Turn off hard disks:

System Standby:

System Hibernates:

Beside each of these options should be a little white box that produces options when you click on the down arrow. At the very bottom should be the "never" option.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
General Computer Help
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 03:06:00 AM »
It sounds like Brother Crawford is having a problem with his "cookies". Maybe a fresh download of Firefox will work for him. I am runnning win 98 first addition and Firefox seems to work very well with it.

Does someone have the link to download Firefox? Maybe we can start a new topic for Firefox and give them a little plug.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Liane H

General Computer Help
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2005, 07:53:00 AM »
Hi JimB:

You were right in the first place. I just did not understand it. I thought the word never would be visable. What I realized is the hours listed, open that box and go to the bottom and there was the never.

Now everything is wonderful.

Next problem latter.

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane, the Zoo Mama