Author Topic: Missionary Testimonies  (Read 29910 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Missionary Testimonies
« on: March 20, 2000, 08:55:00 AM »
This thread is devoted to Christian missionaries that have been called by the Lord to go to the mission fields of the world. Please share your testimony of what God has done to prosper His work in your life.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ken Parsons

• http://
Missionary Testimonies
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2000, 06:22:00 AM »
Since joining the church in 1985 God called me to dedicate my life in outreach and service.  It has not been easy but God has blessed our efforts.  Over the years we have managed to establish a Bible Outreach ministry that has brought the Gospel to over twenty countries via correspondence and we labour here on the home fields too.   We have started a health ministry and the doors are opening beyond our wildest dreams to impact the lives of others.  There are a lot of people out there hurting. More people are needed to step out in faith and engage this ministry as it holds such great potential for reaching souls.

We are also involved with brother Laurie Mosher and joined him in his video tape ministry and since have addeded audio cassettes and a lot of health material for distribution. Most of it sent out free or at cost to those who can benefit from it.

Also we are trying to establish a  congretation for a new church in Cape Breton Nova Scotia and have spent time there working with non SDA children in the area.  The children are excitided about the VBS programs we have put on and it shows great potential. Parents are so surprised by the changes they see in their children and some of them are showing an interest and sometimes come to our programs or services at the chapel.

There is no lack of work in the mission field whether at home or abroad and God is calling those who will step out in faith.  Financially there have been times when we have not kown how we will make it and it can be a struggle both financially, physically and mentally. But would I trade it for anything in the world?  Not on your life!  It is not easy being a self supporting worker for the Lord but it is the best thing that one can do.  Time is running out and I for one cannot sit back and do nothing, there are so many precious souls seeking for help, truth and salvation.  Please pray for Bonnie and I as we do what we can in this last work.
Please also pray for this work that we are involved with in Cape Breton, we would like to be able to move down there and spend more time getting a permanent program going.  Lack of finances is a problem in making the move.  Please pray that God will work things out.
Ken Parsons

J Hersom

Missionary Testimonies
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2000, 02:54:00 PM »
It is nice to read what the Lord is doing around this country. We here in So. Berwick
                   Maine have seen alot of activities with ACTS2000. On opening night we had 10
                   non-adventists came to our house. We have been meeting here since September 5,
                   1998. Each week we use 3ABN Sabbath School at Central (Sacramental) then the
                   Worship Hour on ACN along with all the specials that they run. Ministry Professional
                   Seminar, Flordia Campmeeting and many others specials. We have been blessed. We
                   have had 7 baptized and have made over 100 contacts with people who have come
                   visited us. We have a Discover Bible School where 10 people have completed the course
                   along with maybe 20 others who have signed up but never finished. Getting back to
                   ACTS2000. We had a drop off after the first weekend. But a family of 4 has started to
                   come each Sabbath for the last three weeks. We have also given out over 20 video
                   tapes of these meeting to those who didn't come. We have made over 50 phone calls to
                   those who have viewed It Is Written program. We got a list from them and have really
                   have a good list of people who are searching. We would like to see more but sometimes it
                   is seed planting time in alot of cases. Our job is to act on those whom He brings into our
                   lives.

Just yesterday April 6th we needed our piano tuned. We found out that he watches Mark
                   Finley each week!! We shared a video tape with him and praying that will because
                   friends. What a joy to see the Lord work in so many ways. We need only to pray Lord
                   used us and He will bring people into our lives to help, listen, and to encourage. Many are
                   just waiting to see us reflect His love.

I have another great experience that I would love to share with you folks. About a month
                   ago I saw an ad in the local newspaper about a church having Bible Studies in three
                   difference locations. So I prayed Lord do you want us to sign up to meet new friends?
                   The answer came back and it was yes. So with the directions from the Holy Spirit we call
                   and got directions etc. It was on Sunday night and ACTS2000 only had one Sunday night
                   meetings. So I said why not??? This will blow your minds. When we walk into the home
                   on the kitchen table was two Uncle Arthur's Bedtimes story books!!! Wow I didn't say
                   anything but that was surely a confirmation that we had followed the Lord Spirit. Well it
                   has turned out to be a wonderful blessing. The group consist of a family of 3 plus a son
                   and daughter in law along with another lady. They are such wonderful and dedicated
                   Christians. They are of the Assembly's of God faith but they really believe alot of what
                   we believe. We are gaining their confidence and not trying to show them what is right or
                   wrong. The Holy Spirit is working and we are starting to be good friends. Please pray for
                   them. Their pastor go out each Sabbath morning and they go up and down the main
                   street praying for all the house and people in their city for Christ. Man I just can't wait to
                   study with them each Sunday night. Oh BTW they are studying Chritian character!!!
                   To date they have never asked us what faith group do we belong to. We will tell them
                   but I can see that the Lord wants us to be friends first and not put up on barriers.

Sorry for such a long post but we can see how the Lord is really pouring out His Spirit in
                   our lives and those we are allowed to meet. At times we do have trials but we focus on
                   the victories!!!

Laurie Mosher

• There is a place of quiet rest
Missionary Testimonies
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2000, 05:53:00 PM »
   I'm not so sure that this thread is for those who are staying at home in the field missionaries, but I would like to add my remarks too.
  As Br.Ken Parsons mentioned, he and I (and his wife Bonnie) are involved in a video-tape ministry "Keepers of the Faith" (Now you know where I got my signing off slogan). I have had the privilege of distributing approximately 7000 video tapes in the past 7 years. Our ministry involves all the aspects including "body, soul and spirit".The majority of our tapes are Health/Diet/Food.
 Isn't this the right arm of the gospel?
   And while we may not see huge numbers coming into the church, I believe that Ken and Bonnie Parsons and Laurie Mosher's task is to PLANT THE SEED. It is up to the Holy Spirit to convict and convert souls.

Praise the Lord we have seen 4 new souls added to our church, and THESE 4 NEW SOULS ARE NOW  leading out in presenting Acts 2000 to another group, AND showing the videos to 5 prisoners in a Maximum Security Pennitenary where they work. And I just praise the Lord that I have a part in supplying the videos.
We expect the parents of the previous 4, to join the Remnant Church.
  Excited to be serving the Lord? You want to believe it!
    Keep "the" faith as it is in Jesus Christ alone.
  Br. Laurie      :)

[This message has been edited by Laurie Mosher (edited 04-08-2000).]

Keep "the" Faith,  Brother Laurie

Michelle

Missionary Testimonies
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2000, 11:59:00 AM »
Richard has asked me to share some of my/our experiences while missionaries in ********.  I have hesitated because there are so many things to write about they would fill a book.  I'll just call this installment part one.

[post has been transferred to the Social Hall]

[This message has been edited by Richard Myers (edited 05-11-2000).]

John Blake

Missionary Testimonies
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2000, 06:50:00 AM »
  Since I was a child, I had wanted to be a 'foreign' missionary.  But, until now, God seems to have had other plans.
 While pastoring in the Maritimes in the 1960's, God allowed us to have a little Deaf girl who became deaf at 3 months through a high fever with chicken pox.
 Slowly our lives changed, and we as a family began to enter another world, the silent world of the Deaf.  At first it was only with other deaf children and their parents, but as our daughter grew, and we took a deaf boy to be her companion, our lives became more involved with deaf adults.
 Now we have become 'missionaries' to another world, the "DEAF WORLD".  The deaf have their own language, culture, manners and way of thinking.  We are now involved 3/4 time in 'Deaf Ministry'.
 Our Deaf Ministry involves three web sites:
www.tagnet.org/deafministry
is one of the largest Protestant web sites and it is an SDA resource center for the deaf and those interested in Ministry to Deaf.
 The second is called: "Earth: Theater of God's Universe" and in Easy English, it takes you in 20 short illustrated sections from the beginning to the end of sin.  It is found at:
 www.tagnet.org/theater
[** This site may be of interest to others beside those who are deaf!]
 The third is simply a Discover Bible Guides Canada site: www.bibleschools.com/canada
 We publish a newsletter for all interested in Deaf Ministry in Canada.  We unofficially work toward coordination of SDA Deaf Ministry across Canada.  This involves much travel and a Mini-Camp Mt. for the Deaf in B.C. each summer.
 Now we are finally involved in foreign work.  We are working to raise funds for 50% of the support of two full-time local "Deaf Ministry" pioneer workers in India. We have been working through Mrs. Dorothy Watts.  One worker is P.Sathiyamoorthy in the South India Union, and the other brother Rao now in the Central India Union.  God is blessing and a baptism of deaf is expected this Fall.
 So, we have not yet become foreign missionaries living in another country, but we feel that ministry to the deaf is perhaps the hardest and most difficult SDA ministry. Why?  Because every hard group, whether Muslim, Hindu or Native, has within it another, usually neglected group of very hard to read 'deaf'.  In many cultures deaf have been (or may still be) treated much like the retarted used to be in North America 75 years ago.
 Why are deaf so difficult to reach?
1. They are largely isolated within each society because of a huge communication barrier.
2. We have very little to offer deaf except for some Easy English publications, and now a video evangelistic series in Sign Language.
3. Most of our publications, TV programs and videos in the church will not work with the deaf.
4. How do you fit deaf into a church that has no signing?  If the church does not have any signing, deaf will not usually come, and if there are no deaf around, people will not prepare for deaf ministry -- so the neglect goes on and on because people don't understand!
 If anyone wishes to get in contact with us, our email is: canadiandm@attcanada.net
 Thank you for your interest, and may God bless each of you in your own ministry for HIM!
 Sincerely,  John Blake, 30 Country Ridge Close, Lacombe, AB   T4L 2H1  403-782-4255

Laurie Mosher

• There is a place of quiet rest
Missionary Testimonies
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2000, 01:27:00 PM »
   Hi Pastor John (Blake). I remember when you served as Pastor HERE in the Maritimes. Good to see you posting here on TRO with us.

Keep 'the" faith, BUT pass it around!
    Br. Laurie

Keep "the" Faith,  Brother Laurie

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Missionary Testimonies
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2003, 11:24:00 AM »
For some reason I have not seen this thread "missionary testimonies" until now. Late last year I posted my missionary story in the "evangelism" thread. You can find by clicking here
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

godsgraceatwork

• Evangelism
Missionary Testimonies
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 06:42:00 AM »
I just want to share with you one of the evangelistic reports I sent this year as regards the work of God here in Kenya. As you read the following account- and the ones later to follow later- please for the Lord's work.
Here is one report: Evangelism in Maasai Land with Evangelist Martin(TwisQy

Dear Friends,

Thank you so much for your prayers and financial support for the evangelistic meeting at Bissil. I am safely home and am anxious to share with you the highlights of what you were part of. In total, we ministered to about 70 to a 100 souls. About four people received the salvation of Jesus Christ for the first time and were baptized.

Bissil Kajiado, was the location of this meeting. We hoped for 20 souls and got 4. Primarily, these 4 consisted of 3 men and 1 woman from the local village, whose lives are terribly hard. People from this locality survive by raising cattle. We visited several homes and all were similar. A main room contains the fire place which consists of three stones placed on the ground and fire wood sticks are placed inside and a fire begins, one bed and a piece tree trunk for a chair , and also might have a small table all these in a single room designed in the Maasai style of constructin houses otherwise knownas Manyattas..

The primary mode of transport is walking or by riding a bicycle. There is no electricity in this areas as of present. And so many homes here like it is in most homes in Kenya still use oil lamps. There is only one community well in the whole village and so in the morning , noon and at dusk people travel long distance from their homes to fetch water and bring their cattle back from the pasture for the night; they herd the cattle in the Maasai Manyattas. We saw many shepherd boys lying on the almost no grass “watching over their flocks,” and I couldn’t help remembering David out there in the night talking to God and writing Psalms.
We had arrived by a matatu(that is a van – public transport) and were met by a handful Adventists living In that area. They were so excited, and so were we!

We always begun our meetings in time since we had a complete set of public address system. We presented such topics as Health talk in which we taught the eight basic rules of health.We featured also Bible study topics, Bible prophecy, and at night we had a video shows explaining scriptures. In between the hours of presentation and at break time the locals lined up waiting for prayer. After the last topic was covered, they surrounded us, wanting prayer and sharing their life experiences. During the early morning hours we did house to house visitation, study with them, and of course pray with and for them.

In each meeting we had registration of attendees so as to enable us to follow up and do the really hard work of helping them make a decision for their lives each day as they put their hope in Jesus Christ.

On the day of closing the meeting we were priveleged to have the choir with us and so they blessed our meetings with uplifting songs as you can see in the video sent. Four souls were baptized and I gave them four bibles and four steps to Christ which you sent. See also the video for the same.

After the closure we packed our things and left. But before we could leave we arranged with the local pastor on follow up of the more than 25 interests and four baptized individuals. Finally I was back home exhausted and thought that I was going to take a week or two at home resting but no I was wrong my local church had arranged for me to attend another two week series. At first I had them talk of one week but I don't know how it came to be that we were to run for two weeks. I gave in because I could not afford to be at home when people are starving for the word and miss this opportunity to witness for my Lord. Right now as I write I am in the midst of the meetings which will end on 4th November '05.

So brothers and sisters it is crystal clear to you from the above mentioned experiences that the Lord has been using me together with my fellow co - workers and has shed his blessings upon us to be his chosen vessels to be His witnesses.

I therefore request you by the grace of God to help us more and more reach our goal for one evangelistic meeting every month and help make it a reality.

Next month that is November I will be having another evangelistic meeting at my home area Ntugi. I need your support for these series that will begin in the middle of that month.

Sometimes in our meetings we make sometimes for testimonies and this encourage us a lot for they tell us that we are making an impression on their minds.

And if you' ve read all the way to the end, I hope you were blessed to know the lives you touched. It would take another couple of pages to tell you about every woman and man who told their stories, and in truth, only God knows the heart. I believe they received what their Father knew they needed.

Thank you so very much for giving them this precious gift.

------------------
"The remnant of Israel shall not do iniquity, nor speak lies; neither shall a deceitful tongue be found in their mouth: for they shall feed and lie down, and none shall make them afraid." Zephaniah 3:13

Martin's Photos

[This message has been edited by Richard Myers (edited 01-02-2006).]

"The remnant of Israel shall not do iniquity, nor speak lies; neither shall a deceitful tongue be found in their mouth: for they shall feed and lie down, and none shall make them afraid." Zephaniah 3

Liane H

Missionary Testimonies
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 05:43:00 AM »
Hi Martin:

Thank you for sharing this mission field testimony. The Lord is good and the blessings comes to those that serve Him.

It truely shows and shares that God is alive and well on planet earth. Bless their hearts.

I will keep in prayer those that are seeking more and a future baptism.

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

godsgraceatwork

• Evangelism
Missionary Testimonies
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 10:36:00 PM »
To Liane,
Thank you very much for your prayers! Yes, the Lord will bring more to His fold.
Martin.

------------------
"The remnant of Israel shall not do iniquity, nor speak lies; neither shall a deceitful tongue be found in their mouth: for they shall feed and lie down, and none shall make them afraid." Zephaniah 3:13

"The remnant of Israel shall not do iniquity, nor speak lies; neither shall a deceitful tongue be found in their mouth: for they shall feed and lie down, and none shall make them afraid." Zephaniah 3

godsgraceatwork

• Evangelism
Missionary Testimonies
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 10:57:00 PM »
Here is another report I sent. And will be sending some more in future. Right now I am helping with the global evangelism series here. We have some brothers and sisters from USA at five centres doing public evangelism I am doing house to house part of besides acting as an interpreter or translator to one of the speakers. More mission stories later.

Here is the report I sent to a friend last year. I hope it will encourage your christian experience. And please post more replies.

Christian greetings!
In this report, I will mention our exploits and render account to those who furnish us with the financial support for the work dearest to the heart of God. It is at the same time a way of bringing to the knowledge of the people of God at (name with held for privacy reason)the need to be involved in the task of bringing many sons and daughter into the Kingdom.
One thing that gladdens my heart is your understanding of the urgency of this special commission. I am very glad that God has found someone in you that He can trust to respond to the great call like Isaiah. (Isa. 6:8) Your obedience to support the gospel is an answer to the prayer of Jesus that the Lord of the harvest would send forth labourers into his harvest (Matt. 9:38). I am also happy that since the scripture cannot be broken, your reward for this sometimes sacrificial commitment will be richly and gladly reward by our Lord whe He comes to take us to our future abode.
I know that God will leave no stone unturned in making sure that the people for whom His Son died hear about and receive the purchased redemption. My prayer therefore is that the Church would wake up and embrace this reality that God Has not only committed this onerous task to the Body of Christ, but that He Has also made the wherewithal for supporting such a task available.
By God's grace, the work here in Kenya has now become an on-going work. It is evangelism until till our Lord comes. I am therefore using this medium to appeal for an end-time aggressive book and magazine project for sharing with my contacts. Like the true servants of God are doing everywhere we are ready to work in the Lord's vineyard.  This is our daytime when we have the grace to work. We should not allow the night to come upon us doing nothing. NOW IS THE TIME TO WORK, NOW IS THE TIME TO COMMIT MORE RESOURCES AND NOW IS TIME FOR GOD TO SHOWER MORE BLESSING
The year 2005 has come and is almost gone but the gospel breakthrough we achieved in the almost seven months remains a testimony. We ( me and you - everyone who supported the work of God) have opened three sabbath schools and atleast some 43 persons have been baptized and more are daily being reached out in the house to house evangelism. The Lord God of the harvest Himself takes all the glory. May His name be praised for ever more. Amen
I want to thank you very much for your financial and intercessory support for our ongoing evangelistic meeting at Ntugi Market and ofcourse in other centers where we held our meetings. Viz from Pembe nne to Kwa Geoffrey markets to Mbaria and Kigurune Village and from Pembe nne again to Ntugi your support has made the harvest of the year a possibility.
The gospel of Jesus is marching on and the gate of hell cannot prevail. The Lord of the harvest continues to open more doors daily and He is using His servants - You and me to accomplish this. Are we willing to make the sacrifice - may the Lord help us make this sacrifice.
As regards the names of those people who have supported us through I cannot mention all of them here, but one thing stands out clearly - that I am richly blessed by your support all of you. And daily in my prayers I remember you.
Last night after the last presentation for the day, just as we had finished packing our p.a system. One drunkard fellow came and approached me. He said he wanted to tell me something important, and so I keenly listened as he talked though at first I doubted his sincerity because he was very drunk.But I was in for a shock - his memory was vert clear. He begun by reminding me that I had not kept a promise I made in the last two nights about fixing and placing a question box somewhere where they could place there questions, and then he moved on to congratulate me for that days presentation about the facts and figures of the bible. I was astonished by the clarity with which he repeated my presentation almost word by word. And then he told me that he wanted to study and get to know more in this two weeks series. Finally he requested me to pray for him. I prayed for him and told him that I was going to have the question box the next day( that is today) and he was very happy.
Brothers and sisters it is true as our Lord said 2000 years ago that......... The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest. Luke 10:2
This is an indication that what the Lord is doing with us in the ministry is beyond a mere Christian jamboree, but a serious work in seeing the multitudes turn to the Lord, such as should be saved. Jesus told His disciples, ...But I choose you to go and bear fruit-fruit that will last (John 15:16 NIV)
I am sending you a video of the ongoing meeting next week but one.
Thank you
In His Service
Martin Kiogora Rutere.

Would you want to part of this endeavor? And why not contact me at twisqyman@veryfast.biz? Or alternatively you can you can post your response here.
Bye

------------------

Liane H

Missionary Testimonies
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 12:51:00 AM »
Brother Martin:

Once again thank you for sharing once again the work of evangelism for us to read. My heart was moved and the Glory to God was manifested for us to learn of His goodness and love for us and those that are working in the field to reap the harvest of souls to His glory and goodness.

I have sent you an e-mail. Look forward to receiving a reply.

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane, the Zoo Mama
Romans 8:19   For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

godsgraceatwork

• Evangelism
Missionary Testimonies
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 10:38:00 PM »
Christian greetings,
 Today is Friday the 20th and tomorrow is when we will conclude our two week evangelistic crusade sponsored byt the global evangelism team. Already we have about 15 souls from our centre who will get baptized tomorrow.
And so the  meetings are concluding tomorrow. It was such a blessing to serve the Lord in this meetings. Daily I would wake up early and prepare my self for house to house visitation. Infact most of those who made the decision were the house to house contacts. We had four choirs that graced our evangelistic meeting with songs. I will be sending you some pictures reports soon.
I will post a story of the whole two week experience here.
Happy Sabbath
Martin

godsgraceatwork

• Evangelism
Missionary Testimonies
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 10:39:00 PM »
Christian greetings,
 Today is Friday the 20th and tomorrow is when we will conclude our two week evangelistic crusade sponsored byt the global evangelism team. Already we have about 15 souls from our centre who will get baptized tomorrow.
And so the  meetings are concluding tomorrow. It was such a blessing to serve the Lord in this meetings. Daily I would wake up early and prepare my self for house to house visitation. Infact most of those who made the decision were the house to house contacts. We had four choirs that graced our evangelistic meeting with songs. I will be sending you some pictures reports soon.
I will post a story of the whole two week experience here.
Happy Sabbath
Martin

------------------

Liane H

Missionary Testimonies
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 02:18:00 AM »
Hi Martin:

We are all blessed when family members from around the world share their testimony.

Thank you for sharing with us the events taking place and we will keep you all in our prayers as these baptism take place and your work continues.

The Spirit of the Lord is indeed working around the world in the hearts and minds of those that love Him.

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane, the Zoo Mama

godsgraceatwork

• Evangelism
Missionary Testimonies
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 01:58:00 AM »
Yes, thank you for the update email you sent me about the site being down dew to hacking of the forum for several months.
I still am engaged in evangelism and the has been pouring His blessings abundantly.
I thank God for your concern and care.
Yours in the Lord's Service
Martin

------------------

Liane H

Missionary Testimonies
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 03:01:00 AM »
Hi Brother Martin:

For much of my church life I did little or nothing in evenagelism. Though I knew that we all are asked to serve Jesus I did little or nothing for most of those years.

When I got my first computer I was blessed to do outreach in cyberspace and felt blessed in so many ways that I was doing the work of evangelism in the church.

It has only been in the last year that I have been doing local evangelism in the church. I was blessed with the opportunity to do an outreach at our local fair in September to the community.

Not only I, but the church members were so wonderful and helped that it was a blessing to us all and not just to me. Where my Pastor believed that only two or three might help, we had twenty-two members take part and give time at the booth.

Us of so little faith when we reach to God will give abundantly that which is needed to do the work. We just fail to ask in faith that it has already been given.

God has been good to give us back our forum and the opportunity to share to each other the many blessings of God.

------------------
Liane, the Zoo Mama

Liane, the Zoo Mama

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Missionary Testimonies
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 07:59:00 AM »
May the Lord continue to bless you labor, dear brother!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

godsgraceatwork

• Evangelism
Missionary Testimonies
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 03:56:00 AM »
This report appears as it was sent to friends who support me in the gospel work but I have ommitted some details for privacy reasons. I also had attached some photos mentioned in this report and for anyone who would want to view them, please contact me via the below email and I send you the photo files.

Here is the first report:
Dear Friends and Supporters, Christian greetings Once again I have the pleasure of bringing you another report of the ongoing meetings in the Samburu District. Samburu is amongst the most famous and favourite wildlife reserve famous for great movies and and TV documentaries on wildlife. The dear Lord Jesus in His grace blessed us with an opportunity to witness to a highly nomadic community. It is a semi desert country side which has attracted the British, American and Kenyan army as a combat training area this is because the area affords a place to test endurance and difficult.
The place is extremely hot you can,t wear a coat only T- shirts, short sleeve shirts and open shoes and at night sheets for bedding. There hardly has been any rain for the past three years and so drought has been the norm here. But thank God last season there were some rain. A brother who invited me to preach in this area after trying to get the nearest church to preach in this area without success in the past two years tells me that he had to provide meals every sabbath at his own expense in order to make sure people attend the sabbath service. And this venture has really borne some fruits such that already there are about 20 strong and regular members. The Samburu community are conservative when it comes to keeping their tradition and as can be seen in the photos attached to this mail it is true that this people practice the outdated female genital mutilation - the circumcision of women. The community are extremely poor - See the photos for yourself. The soil is unfit for any agricultural activity and so there is lack of food - balanced diet and otherwise, clean water is also a rare commodity. The main economic activities in the area are pastoralism (but due to drought the cattle, and goat herds have reduced drastically) and so most of them are forced by needs and circumstances to burn charcoal and sell it as a form of fuel - of course this at the expense of the environment, another alternative to burning charcoal is to collect and dig for pebbles to sell as ballast for construction of houses which they sell for less than half a dollar per day, young children drop out of school due to lack of food, and another alternative is brewing and selling of illegal wine, if that doesn't work then parents are forced to marry off their underage daughters for a bride price - some at the age of 12 years! Others force their young girls into early prostitution in order to get money to support the family despite the high number of HIV cases in the area The men hardly work and most of their time is spent in idle games and brew drinking - but still few of them are hardworking and watch after their flocks. Most of work is done by women - from constructing the houses(see photos), trekking long distances to fetch water, cook, care for the family and looking for relief food(hey if you didn't know they survive on that - and the Catholic Church and the Muslim are good at that and so most are Catholic and Muslim.) That's why we have to provide meals at each service to make sure people attend church. And if it happens the Catholics are issuing relief food on Saturday you can be sure that the number attending church that day will go down. They also lack access to medical care and the nearest health centre is more than 45 miles from the people. The small company of believers in the area meet in a rented abode despite the fact that they have a piece of land allotted to them by the municipal council(See photos). They are so poor they can't afford to construct a simple sanctuary. Most of the food come from the neighbouring districts since these people don't practice farming. They also live in Manyattas (A manyatta is a maasai homestead comprising of small house like structures with a circular thorn fence see photos) which are also sparce and away from each other such that sometimes it would take you a whole day to move from one manyatta to another and chances are that you might find hardly any adults in the homestead except the aged and the children depending on what time of the day you get there. Therefore you are forced to spend the night in the manyattas since it is extremely dangerous to walk at night because of the wild animals.The main challenges in the work here is the language barrier - they speak totally a different dialect from our own and were it not for Kiswahili we would make no impact. Another thing is the road infrastructure - there are no proper roads in the vast District and this explains why there are no or few vehicles plying these routes. In order to get to Meru and write you this report I had to be at the lorry or trucks stop very early in the morning, and if it happened that I come late the vehicle would have left and it wouldn't have been until the next day when I would find another truck. Using a bicycle is another challenging feat the road is full of thorns as a result of the many thorn trees in the area - no good for the tube. So you're forced to walk. Report two follows this one be sure to check out the photos Please forward this email to your network of friends and the good Lord perhaps will impress upon their hearts to give toward this work(might be a used or new book, pamplet, magazine, bibles) and for you to receive similar reports every month contact
Martin Kiogora Rutere, P.O Box 2825, Meru - 60200, Kenya, East Africa. or contact me on this email address laymartin06@fastmail.net. Thank you God bless you. Martin