Author Topic: Personal Testimonies  (Read 109140 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Personal Testimonies
« on: January 08, 2000, 11:35:00 AM »
 The Signs of the Times 6-25-96
To Save Men's Lives

"The disciples of Christ, as Jews, had been educated to hate the Samaritans, and this was a lesson that would be of great benefit to them in their future experience. Jesus would have them understand that there were
many precious souls among the Samaritans who would not refuse to come to the Gospel feast. This Samaritan that had returned to give praise to God was no mean citizen, and he would prove an effective witness for Christ. After the resurrection and ascension of Christ, he would bear decided witness that
Christ was the Son of God. He would repeat the story of his restoration, and with a heart full of intense love and interest, he would say to those with whom he came in contact, "Will you believe in Jesus?" It was testimonies of this kind that turned men from the established teachings and endless
repetitions and worthless traditions of the scribes and Pharisees. Unlearned men testified to the power of Christ, and spoke boldly of the grace of God, and their glowing testimonies were placed in sharp contrast to the heartless, exacting ritual of the Pharisees. And the people were constrained to say that these men had been with Jesus, and had learned of him."

Our testimonies of how God has blessed us will encourage others to believe in Jesus Christ and His Word.

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Avalee Lohman

• http://www.geocities.com/avalee50/
Personal Testimonies
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2000, 06:11:00 AM »
The Lord has blessed me in so many ways. This past week has not been one of my better weeks. I let myself start feeling sorry for myself when three different incidents brought some very painful memories to my mind. Instead of praying and thanking God for seeing me through these times I dropped down into a condition of "giving up hope" for a "certain hope" I have always had. Never had I felt this bad. I was able to go to work and function but when I came home I just went to bed. Sabbath the sermon was on what do you think? "The Power of Hope". I praise the Lord for His wonderful love to me. I do not deserve it but God has always been there for me.
Avalee

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Personal Testimonies
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2000, 06:31:00 PM »
Sister Avalee, welcome and thank you for sharing. God is good!  Let me encourage you with a testimony. A number of years ago I found myself in a very painful situation involving my young children. I would go to bed and trusting in the Lord I would go to sleep then awaken early with my mind racing as to what God would have me do for the day.

One night, I had no peace. I could not go to sleep. I knew it was wrong. I knew I should trust in the Lord and get my sleep. I knelt down beside my bed and prayed for faith to believe. My mind was directed to my Desire of Ages on the night stand. I opened the book to the chapter entitled Let Not Your Heart be Troubled. This is what I read. "'My Father is the husbandman. Every branch in Me that beareth not fruit He taketh away.' While the graft is outwardly united with the vine, there may be no vital connection. Then there will be no growth or fruitfulness. So there may be an apparent connection with Christ without a real union with Him by faith. A profession of religion places men in the church, but the character and conduct show whether they are in connection with Christ. If they bear no fruit, they are false branches. Their separation from Christ involves a ruin as complete as that represented by the dead branch. 'If a man abide not in Me,' said Christ, 'he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.'

'And every branch that beareth fruit, He purgeth pruneth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.' From the chosen twelve who had followed Jesus, one as a withered branch was about to be taken away; the rest were to pass under the pruning knife of bitter trial. Jesus with solemn tenderness explained the purpose of the husbandman. The pruning will cause pain, but it is the Father who applies the knife. He works with no wanton hand or indifferent heart. There are branches trailing upon the ground; these must be cut loose from the earthly supports to which their tendrils are fastening. They are to reach heavenward, and find their support in God. The excessive foliage that draws away the life current from the fruit must be pruned off. The overgrowth must be cut out, to give room for the healing beams of the Sun of Righteousness. The husbandman prunes away the harmful growth, that the fruit may be richer and more abundant."

His peace came upon me and I went to sleep trusting in my Saviour. May He strengthen you daily as you look to Him for grace in your time of need. Let us press together and He will add to our number. :)

In His love and grace, Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Allan F

Personal Testimonies
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2000, 01:49:00 AM »
Hello to all!
I just want to share a testimony and a song with you. For the last year, it has not been so easy for me. And for a period, I was quite "out of function" because of health problems. But during this period I experienced what a privilege it is to trust, and have faith in God. He comforts us in so many, different ways. During the worst period, I remember that very often a special song came to my mind. And this song helped me to keep focus on Jesus. "There is sunlight on the hilltop" was among several of Ellen White's favorite hymns. And in the introduction to this song there is a quotation from the Ministry of Healing: "Song is a weapon that we can always use against discouragement. As we thus open the heart to the sunlight of the Saviour's presence, we shall have health and his blessing" (p.254).
In the same introduction there is another quotation, which really opened my eyes and helped me to see the things in the right perspective: "On one occasion she (E.White) saw her granddaughter Ella looking quite downcast, she said to her: "Ella May, if you could think of a person who apparently had nothing to be thankful for - no friends, no money, perhaps was suffering from an incurable disease, and owned nothing of any material value in the world - yet the plan of salvation and the promise of a glorious future, aren't they sufficient to keep that person singing from morning 'til night?""

There is sunlight on the hilltop, there is sunlight on the sea;
And the golden beams are sleeping, on the soft and verdant lea;
But a richer light is filling all the chambers of my heart;
For thou dwellest there my Saviour, and 'tis sunlight where Thou art.

O the sunlight! beautiful sunlight! O the sunlight in the heart!
Jesus smile can banish sadness, it is sunlight in the heart.

Happy Sabbath!
Allan

charlene

• http://
Personal Testimonies
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2000, 04:29:00 PM »
Happy Sabbath,
Happy to see you here Avalee. God Bless.
Allen, thank you for the words and song.
Richard, thank you for this forum.

I think if we started writing all the blessings that our Saviour has given us, we would fill all the pages available. I don't even know where to start.  I think having a Christian husband is somewhere near the top of my list. He is a spiritual miracle,and a health miracle.  We both talk often how the Lord has many times preserved us through our years of ignorance. God is so good.

I have read recently how Praise to God Looses the Holy Spirit to work in our lives. Let us praise! Praise! and Praise our God. We have unending Blessings.  And He is coming soon.

God Bless,
charlene

charlene

charlene

Personal Testimonies
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2000, 07:43:00 AM »
This is not my testimony, but a story about my grandson. I have asked for prayer on his behalf as he completes his education and joins the ministy.  I believe he has been called to this work and this is why.

Ryan was born into a SDA home, his over active and high energy level pushed him to attain everything he tried to do. He excelled especially in sports af any kind but he became focused on golf in his high school years. He was so encouraged by pros and friends that he could have a great money making career, that his concentration became golf, golf, golf. The family could see a wandering away from spiritual things in his life and worldly tendencies taking their place. A visit west for me was painful when i sat and talked to him and found a proud, self centered, money mad youth. my prayer went up to God to 'do whatever was necesary to get his attention, bring him back to earth, and into the fold again'. Our whole family was praying the same thing,  'save our Ryan, Lord'. He enrolled in college, with golf his major. Most tournaments are on weekends, including sabbaths.

I returned home after my wonderful visit, with a heavy heart concerning my grandson. About three or four days later, the phone rang and a friend told me he had bad news..Ryan was okay but he had fallen in a basket ball game and had broken both wrists!!
One wrist needed surgery the next day. What mixed feelings I had.  Sorry for the accident and pain it surely was causing, and praise to the Lord for this happening, for I felt is was an answer to prayer and was wondering what God had planned for him now that He had slowed him down. I was sure that if anything else would have been broken...Ryan would have made an effort to play anyway, but with two broken wrists...?

When He returned from the Hospital to the family cabin by the lake, he was hand tied and needed help with everything. His childhood friend came to spend the summer with him and help him as long as he needed help.  Mom and Dad were ready to help but Ryan was a man of his own.

It is boreing to have no hands to do what you have always done. Sitting and doing nothing was not an option. 'I've been studying the bible,' his roomate said, 'would you like to study with me?'    'That would be better then doing nothing,'  Ryan agreed. so they started. His friend was not an SDA and had been studying with JWs. As they got into some theology that Ryan did not recognize..he became very eager to find the truth of the matter.  He called his granpa and grandma near by and asked for information.  The grandparents invited the boys over to listen to some tapes [Kenneth Cox] and assured them they would find the answers. Well they couldn't get enough, sometimes watching 5 hours at a time and sometimes tired and falling asleep while watching, but over and over they went to watch tapes. Changes were taking place in my grandson,s heart. conviction and conversion were happening and when the casts were removed, and life became normal, a young man was standing, just as determined to follow a humble, poor Christ as he was to become a millionaire in the world.

He enroled at PUC, his goal Dr. of divinity. His junior year he was volunteer assistant pastor in a little town near PUC. His senior year he became a paid assistant to the pastor. After graduation, He married the pastors daughter where he had assisted and they were given a church where he pastored for two years.  With that behind him he is now to finish his education for his higher degree at Andrews University, then to be sent/called to a permenant location to really start his ministy. He has one and a Half years to go. I have some sermon tapes and as his grandma...I think he will save the world. Ha!Ha!  Well, he will help. okay?

I've told this story at prayer meeting and When folks tell of discouragement over children and grandchildren, it is so comforting to know that God cares so much about our families that he will even 'break wrists' to get them to listen. God does answer prayer. God does change lives.

I hope this is not too long Richard...I made it as short as I could. God I good.

In His Name
charlene

charlene

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Personal Testimonies
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2000, 09:04:00 AM »
Our people don't need a sermon every Sabbath. A short sermon now then is good, but what they need is testimonies of how God is working in their lives.  

Thank you, Sister Charlene, for sharing. We not only are encouraged by God's faithfulness, but we now know better who it is we are praying for.

As for the length of our posts, let the Lord lead.  I don't have any fixed ideas. If someone doesn't want to read a whole post, they may ignore it. Why should the rest of us be denied the blessing?

We will have a file area where we can post long items, but not testimonies of the nature you have shared. These are the food that helps us make it through the day. Let us continue to point each other to Jesus as the author and finisher of our faith.

Dear heavenly Father, please put a hedge about Elder Ryan and protect him from the error that abounds. Make him a light to those around him and deepen his commitment to you and to the truth, we ask in Jesus precious name, amen.

Richard

Avalee Lohman

Personal Testimonies
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2000, 01:31:00 PM »
Charlene thank you for sharing you story of grandson Ryan. I will share your story and prayer request with others. Praise the Lord for His working in his life.

Avalee

Laurie Mosher

• There is a place of quiet rest
Personal Testimonies
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2000, 03:24:00 PM »
   Well,
  You have another "Peter" online. Like Peter of old, I keep opening my mouth, and exchanging feet.
  Thankfully, some of you have me in your prayers and know of my "hoof and mouth" disease. The last round with the question from the outsider really got carried away, as did I; BUT John and Craig and I are trying to "smooth things out". Mind you, I am not compromising on any of our doctrines. We are , subject by subject, trying to carry on an intelligent BIBLICAL conversation. I know there were some registered members who took great exception to my comments (I received their 'emails'-none very complimentary).
  Anyhow, I just hope that in these last conversations with the "boys", our Lord is glorified, and we , thru His Spirit will be edified.
  KEEP US ALL IN YOUR PRAYERS, please!

Richard mentioned my video tape ministry. If you look into my profile, you will find my homepage. I'm excited that I can have a part in giving the gospel thru 3ABN ministry.
"Keepers of the Faith" is God's ministry. To date we have had the opportunity of bringing in about 6 new members, with another 5 or 6 to be baptized soon.

I would really like to thank Richard for getting THIS forum "off the ground". On the other form, I feel sometimes, like we "are spinning our wheels". There must be more people who believe as we do, but  maybe they are intimidated by the sometimes sarcastic comments and argumentive debates.

I do hope that all of us are uplifted by our encouragment to each other. This forum is what I was hoping the other would be like.

Thank you Richard, Avalee, Allan and Charlene for your testimonies. That is what we each need-- encouragment in place of discouragement, hope in place of defeat, and comfort in place of criticism. Already I value each of your comments, and pray that I will be able to give you a positive contribution.

Keep "the" faith,

Br.Laurie :)

Keep "the" Faith,  Brother Laurie

charlene

Personal Testimonies
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2000, 04:40:00 PM »
Laurie,
Don't be so hard on yourself. Like you pointed out, they [john and craig] came into the SDA forum and were not very complimentary
to those on the forum...I too feel protective of our message. You were giving material they should have known from thier own books. I hadn't gone into that topic until you pointed it out and then read the whole thing..I think you have nothing to apologies for. God Bless you and your follow up.  His word will not return void.

I too am happy for this forum and hope it will bring those that can encourage and love one another even through a difference of opinion.

In His love,
charlene

charlene

Laurie Mosher

Personal Testimonies
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2000, 04:12:00 PM »
   "Thank you Charlene" for your kind words. Now if I could emulate Jesus Christ like you and Richard , I would be better pleased with myself...

We need to be especially sensitive to the needs of others who DO NOT believe as we do, and I just pray continually that I will fall in line with you all here , and "Press Together".

Amen!
 Br. Laurie   :)  

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Personal Testimonies
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2000, 06:26:00 AM »
Brother Laurie,      the closer we get to Jesus the less we see in ourselves that is good.   If there be any good thing in us it is Jesus and with Him we can do all good things.  Just encouraging you that as you see something that needs improvement in your own life, it is because you have your eyes focused in the right direction, upon Jesus.

Others will judge incorrectly without the knowledge of what they can't see and without the Spirit of Christ. Our concern is to move forward in love confessing our sin and errors as we go.  I know that if you have erred, you have confessed the error and moved forward in love. Let us not grow tired in this process of well doing. The Holy Spirit is moving upon all who are open and He is asking those who would not speak up to do so, in love.  It is incumbent upon us to follow His leading either way. To be silent or to speak. To do otherwise is to deny our Saviour.

As you labour with our brothers we cannot judge them to be closed to the truth, so we pray they are open to it and therefore we pray for your words to be an encouragement to them in their search for truth. Who knows, but that they may be here with us one day soon.  Do not be dissuaded by those that are ignorant of the power of grace upon the human heart. Many are called, but few are chosen. How sad that so few choose to serve our Lord.

Good to have you with us!

DugaldT Lewis MD

Personal Testimonies
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2000, 02:14:00 PM »
Dear Richard,

I am so happy to see the response so far on
this forum.

Through our personal difficulties and trials
we learn in a practical way the process of sanctification.

One of my favorite passages form the Lord's
messenger is:

"The Lord permits trials in order that we may be cleansed from earthliness, from selfishness, from harsh, unchristlike traits of character. He suffers the deep waters of affliction to go over our souls in order that we may know Him and Jesus Christ whom He has sent,in order that we may have deep
heart longings to be cleansed from defilement, and may come forth from the trial
purer, holier, happier. Often we enter the furnace of trial with our souls darkened with selfishness; but if patient under the crucial test, we shall come forth reflecting the divine character. When His purpose in the affliction is accomplished, "He shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light and thy judgement as the noonday." Ps 37:6"

Dugald

Gerry C Wagoner

Personal Testimonies
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2000, 04:28:00 PM »
Hi all !!

What a privilege to fellowship with you "believers."  I have a testimony..

Last week I was invited to go to North Carolina with 25 German Baptist Brethren (my former people).  This was unusual because they generally sever ties with those who have left their fellowship.  

Similar to Mennonite or Amish, they were going to NC to offer a week of disaster relief for a small town damaged by Hurricane Floyd's floods.  I agreed to go along.

I also resolved to keep my mouth shut and be a friend to these people while listening and working.  The Lord had other plans...

Early in the week questions began to fly concerning my diet.  I answered them honestly.  God must have blessed my energy because I was able to meet or exceed the work output of the best of them.   They commented that my diet might be a good thing after all. Ha.

Then, later in the week questions began to come about the Second Coming, Spiritual Israel, State of the Dead etc...  One evening, a minister (dear Christian man) sat down beside me and asked me to tell him about the Adventist (Biblical) Second Coming (He had heard that my understanding was different than the usual Rapturist stuff).  I shared with him from start to finish the mighty Advent of Jesus (without all the dispensational ideas).  Shortly after I began, 9 other men sat down at the table with their Bibles and listened very carefully.  For 2 hours - they said hardly a word and listened intently.  These are people who know the Bible pretty well, and the Lord brought verses to my mind in a mighty way.  Praise Him..

On Friday they asked me to give the breakfast devotional before we left for work.  Wow!  (John 17 was my text).

On the way home to Ohio on Sabbath, I rode with 3 other men.  After a lively discussion for hours, things subsided.  Then, Dale Flora, turned to me as I drove the truck and said "Gerry, are we who keep Sunday in any danger because of it?"  Wow.

I thanked God for the question and asked Him to lead.  He led me through a long presentation on the Sabbath and divine Rest.  For 90 minutes, Dale and the 2 men in the back leaned forward to hear every word.  God put it all together.  Afterwards they raised only 2 questions (one about the validity of our calendar; and Colossians 2:16).  After I answered their questions, Keith spoke up and said "Well I guess if I ever have to choose for Jesus, I'll choose this way" (Sabbath). The other two agreed.  Praise the Lord.!

Normally, these people are not at all interested in any other doctrine.  Not at all.  But the Lord pricked their hearts to inquire.  He also filled me as I emptied myself every morning in prayer.  He is Good.

I believe this is only the beginning, dear ones.  God is at Work.

Gerry C. Wagoner

Avalee Lohman

Personal Testimonies
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2000, 03:20:00 AM »
Gerry what a wonderful testimony. Praise the Lord. Does bring back that verse about not being concerned what to say...The Holy Spirit will put the words in your mouth. And you were doing what Jesus would be doing...helping others and being a witness that way...they could see Jesus in you..they could even see your strength from your diet and commented it. Praise the Lord. You are right this is only the beginning. The seed has been planted.
Avalee

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Personal Testimonies
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2000, 05:19:00 AM »
Amen! Brother Gerry. The Holy Spirit is moving upon the hearts of men and women around the world. Thank you for sharing. There are honest of heart that are seeking light, they hear His voice and follow. Let us prepare our churches to receive them.

Your discernment to know when to speak and when to be silent is a testimony to God's desire and ability to lead us. Not by power nor by might, but by His Spirit! While your experience was not that of medical missionary work it demonstrates the same principle, by ministering to the physical needs of others, hearts will be opened to hear the Word of God. In this case it was not those who received the direct benefit, but rather those you were working with. Very interesting. We could all learn an important lesson here. :)

Thank you again for sharing and good to have you with us, Brother Gerry. Let join together and pray for your friends and our brothers who have seen the light of the Sabbath truth, among others.

charlene

Personal Testimonies
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2000, 07:59:00 AM »
A hearty welcome from me too Gerry.

What an exciting story. Like Esther, you were placed at the right spot at the right time, Praise God.

My prayer is that we all may be witnesses for our Lord and Saviour. He does promise to give us words and guidance if we but submit to Him

Praise God
charlene  [chyvan]

charlene

Laurie Mosher

Personal Testimonies
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2000, 05:24:00 PM »
   Welcome Gerry,
    That's a powerful testimony!!
 I, too, had a chance to witness for "our" faith during the Christmas holidays, I sing in a community Christmas choir, and the music director one Sunday PM after choir practice  asked me what SDA's believe and what about "our diet"?

I spent 1-1/2 hours visitng with this dear man...my hobby is making Christian videos, and he asked me if I had any on origins of SDA'ism and diet. I made him a copy of "Keepers of the Flame and "Abundant Living" by Curtis and Paula Eakins. He thanked me profusely, and I have to get back to him and see how he is doing.

Folks, God's people are "out there", and if we allow ourselves to become vessels used by God, He will direct people to us. Praise the Lord !!

Just tonight, returning from another chorale practice, I had the privilege of driving 3 members home, because of snowy conditions, and I'm reminded that "in order to have friends, ONE must be friendly."

Keep "the" faith, B & S.

Br. Laurie

Laurie Mosher

Personal Testimonies
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2000, 01:16:00 PM »
   Dear All
    Approximately 7 years ago, I xrayed a fellow who became very interested in Revelation. I kindof lost contact with him for several years. Guess who I met today on the xray table?

The first thing that "Don" said to me this morning was, "Laurie, remember our first Bible study about the beast of Rev. 13?"

Don had asked me who the beast was, so I invited him over to my house the following Sunday. Thru reading the chapter and checking with history (prophecy fulfilled), Don said, "I know EXACTLY who the beast is."

Well, today, Don, said that "all the churches (including his -Baptist) was following in the steps of Rome", and did I have any other video series that he could view?
 I believe Stephen Lewis (Pentecost 2000) is next on the agenda. Don,so far ,has  received, Joe Crews, Mark Finley, and Doug Batchelor, and checking everything very thoroughly .

Please keep Don Purdy and his family (wife is RC) in YOUR prayers, and me too, as I continue to witness to him.

And if there is a lesson to be learned in this experience, DON'T GIVE UP!!

Yours in "the" faith,
     Br Laurie :)  

charlene

Personal Testimonies
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2000, 04:15:00 PM »
Laurie, How great!!
Yes! we can never give up...God will even
'break wrists' if he has to.

Steven Lewis would certainly give it to him straight as would the others you mentioned.
God Bless, you have my prayers.

charlene

charlene